10 Years Today.... the signing of a legend

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe we could use the proceeds from his testimonial to subsidise his wages for a transfer elsewhere. Feel for him, but it's mental to have offered him a long deal once it was apparent that he can't stay fit and isn't good enough.

Pity.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Kind of feel for him. Been ravaged with injuries. Looked absolutely immense sporadically for us.

BarstoolProphet

Remember the whole stadium was buzzing after he made his full debut against Spurs, he was immense that day. Especially remember a tackle on Bale that made the whole stadium stand up and applaud. What a shame injuries ruined him.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Feel sorry for him - injuries ruined him. And stupid faces.

Not sure he was ever top quality but he had some patches of good form.

BR7

I remember his interview with Wayne Rooney when he signed for us snd said “I had a few teams interested in me but a chose United” Rooney just looked at him said “calm down”. Phil, take Daniel James by the hand snd skip out of the club together

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We're talking about a guy who once made a tackle with the use of his head. Literally.

He's not the legend we want, he is the legend we need.

RUCK4444

No words for him. I got a ban last time.

The one thing I will mention is that it’s one of the few things Ole’s signed off on that has really annoyed me. That renewal.

MyBloodIsRed

Maybe he can go into an ambassador role?? Visiting injured children…. Would love to get the number for shirt free for Varane!

Pickle85

Amazed the number of people that feel sorry for him. Sure, he's had a career blighted by injuries but he's also got paid beyond the dreams of 99.9% of people in the world. Save your sympathy for people that need it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Won the PL, hopefully he'll retire with one or two more... it's just that, the more he's away from football it'll be harder to return.

It's what it is.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's earning a huge salary for nothing. I feel sorry for us not him
This. Usually i feel sorry for players whos career is damaged by injuries. But Jones is special case. He milked us for millions. He was signing contract after contract and gave us nothing in return.

Pickle85

This. Usually i feel sorry for players whos career is damaged by injuries. But Jones is special case. He milked us for millions. He was signing contract after contract and gave us nothing in return.
I also don't blame him for that, mind. If the offer is there you'd be mad not to, wouldn't you.

Djemba-Djemba

The fact he's been here 10 years really is an indictment of how we've been run over the last 10 years. An absolute shambles.

It's been clear for years he should have been shipped out but his performance in the 2018 FA Cup final really should have been his last match. The fact that 3 years later he's still here, still getting paid is just incredible.

That last contract renewal was an embarrassing decision from Utd.

tomaldinho1

The scenes when we sign Varane and then Phil Jones regains fitness and dislodges him.

Josh 76

Not sure how it went so bad.
I remember watching him at Blackburn and thought he was pure class. Was over the moon when Utd signed him. To be fair he started off amazing. I was at the game when we beat Spurs 3-0. Think it was his home debut and he was the best player on the pitch. That’s when Fergie said he could be the next Duncan Edwards in then post match interview.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Whenever I have an unproductive day at work and feel "the guilt", I think of Jonesaldinho and feel a little bit better.

Do feel for the bloke, but my god, talk about a stolen wage.

Mike Smalling

He is maybe not quite on track to become our best player ever, as SAF thought he could, but thankfully he still has a few years left on his contract. He could turn it around!

Ace of Spades

Remember the whole stadium was buzzing after he made his full debut against, he was immense that day. Especially remember a tackle on Bale that made the whole stadium stand up and applaud. What a shame injuries ruined him.
I remember that, Bale was one of the quickest players around and he had got a yard of two behind Jones and somehow he caught up and tackled him. He really was freakishly good, he had pace, strength and was good in the air. He was also solid on the ball, I remember him making some marauding runs in his debut season. Just needed to improve his positioning a bit. Just sad to see injuries ruin him, and goes to show how injuries can impact a player.

lolok

I'll admit it-- I like Phil Jones. He is what he is, a 5th/6th choice CB at the club. It's hard for me to be upset when the 6th choice CB isn't that great-- that's why he is the 6th choice CB at the club and not 1st choice. It's akin to being the 15th best player on your NBA team. They are on the roster, they never start a game and maybe get into a few games for a couple of minutes at the end when it's a blowout. No one criticizes the guys at the end of the bench that are squad filler players. This is how I feel about PJ. He's going to collect a play check, train with the team when healthy, and the only time he gets playing time is when there are injuries and the game doesn't really matter. He's really there just to be a squad filler guy. I don't care that he makes alot of money-- that's not his fault. If Ed offered him the contract-- is he supposed to turn it down and say-- nah, that's too much money? Nope, you take it and fall over laughing. (Which I'm sure he did, and then probably subsequently hurt himself.)

Just 29 years old. One of the few players in United squad who was on the last title winning team.

He's brought joy to fans with his faces. And honestly, his crawling, headed clearance off of Giroud's shins says it all. Unlike some current United defenders who I feel are soft- this is a dude who at least wouldn't give up. It's like when Vidic tried to block a shot with his face, he's a guy who would by any means necessary try to prevent a goal.

So here's to Phil Jones. The best 6th choice CB this club has ever seen. :)

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Whenever I have an unproductive day at work and feel "the guilt", I think of Jonesaldinho and feel a little bit better.

Do feel for the bloke, but my god, talk about a stolen wage.
When you think you're not doing your job well then search for 'pigeon's nest' memes.

Gives a sense of perspective.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A lot of weird posts about his wages meaning people shouldn’t feel sorry for him being so injury prone.

Do people think he’s fecking delighted that he’s always injured? The same guy who turned down the testimonial because he didn’t think anyone would turn up? Doesn’t seem like he’s happy his career hasn’t gone the way it could have.

Funny as weren’t we in uproar when the official Twitter account made fun of him?