15 years ago today Michael Carrick made his Man Utd debut

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
15 years ago today Michael Carrick made his Man Utd debut...

...yesterday we were reminded, again, that we never replaced him when he retired.

Josh 76

Carrick was not always a hit. At times his role was seen as very frustrating by most Utd fans.

Maybe because we were looking for the next Robson and Keane. But he became a great player in the end.

Nickelodeon

Need a player of his ilk more than ever. Seeing Fred knock the ball straight into touch is something which never fails to infuriate me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Most underrated player in United’s history for me. A Rolls Royce of a player.

Nickosaur

Superb player. Think a lot of fans didn't take to him initially because he wasn't a Keane replacement. But he was the heartbeat of the team for years.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov and Van Persie all loved playing with this guy. His passing was so crisp through the lines. The likes of McFred and Matic are so far away from having that ability.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Cracking player, even in his final season when his legs had gone, he looked our best CM.

Its also another reminder that more often than not, the management know better than the fans. Carrick was slated by our fanbase in the early days but turned out to be a legend (Darren Fletcher being another example).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Need a player of his ilk more than ever. Seeing Fred knock the ball straight into touch is something which never fails to infuriate me.
Makes me want to ramp my forehead into a wall.

From this guy to someone like Fred, it's astonishing.
At the cost of nearly £50m...

Cracking player, even in his final season when his legs had gone, he looked our best CM.

Its also another reminder that more often than not, the management know better than the fans. Carrick was slated by our fanbase in the early days but turned out to be a legend (Darren Fletcher being another example).
That's because he was our best centre midfielder at that point, which says a lot about United's recruitment since Sir Alex retired.

Carrick was able to star with Cleverley or Anderson for company in a double pivot. If we could get someone who was even close to what he was we'd be serious title contenders.

Drainy

Very good player, and made us tick with his ability to switch play and was 'good enough' defensively and positionally to provide stability in midfield.

He often started seasons slowly though and took time to sharpen up, but his peak performance levels were great for his role in the team.

Irwin99

Carrick was not always a hit. At times his role was seen as very frustrating by most Utd fans.

Maybe because we were looking for the next Robson and Keane. But he became a great player in the end.
Agree with this and i'm someone who thinks he was a fantastic signing. He played well/decent in his first season in the end but it did take him awhile to settle and it took him a long time to get to that level of a top class midfielder.

The years between 2011-2015 were his best seasons.

largelyworried

Not all managers, just that manager. I don't think SAF"s near infallibility means that other managers should get a free pass.

Yagami

Good post resistant
When we talk about probably our best ever period as a club from 06/07 - 08/09, one of the first things we think about is how great defensively we were with Edwin, Rio, Vidic and Evra being the rocks. In my opinion, Carrick should be included in that group because he was our one ever-present in central midfield with Scholes, Anderson, Hargreaves, Fletcher rotating for the second slot, and he shielded the defence brilliantly. Not with mad pressing and crunching tackles, but positioning for interceptions, tracking runners from deep, covering for defenders out of position. All whilst completely dictating games, too!

Chairman Steve

I remember everyone wanted Juan Roman Riquelme after his amazing season with Villarreal, as well as Marcos Senna who starred in the same Villarreal team as a defensive midfield role. Keane had basically been booted out and had been a shadow of himself for about 3 years at that point and Scholes was out for a good portion of 05/06 due to vision problems and no-one knew if Scholes was going to be the same.

At the same time, we were linked with Carrick (which I was underwhelmed by) and a Spurs mate of mine at the time was raving about him and would be disappointed to lose him since Spurs were extremely close to 4th that year with a large part of it being around him being in the team.

Carrick is one of those players you appreciate more seeing in person, when you’re not restricted to the TV feed. He had incredible anticipation and positioning of where to be and what to do the ball when he got it. He knew when to drop deep to protect the back four and when to push up to keep attacking pressure up.

One of those players that seems to get better every season after retiring.

He was good, obviously. Great from 2006 to 09 when (not coincidentally) his role in the team was primarily defensive while Scholes dictated play or the attack ripped everyone to shreds on the break.

Then he was painfully average for the next three seasons as we combined what was still one of the best defences in Europe and an incredibly potent attack with a quite mediocre midfield prone to being bullied by anyone with a bit of energy.

Recovered to have a great season in 2012/13, then ranged from crap to average for much of the rest with a few good spells in the middle - mostly those spells in 14/15 and 16/17 when we played 4-3-3 with him and Herrera partnering Fellaini and Pogba.

Last edited:

432JuanMata

Was slated for years here when I used too just browse and then eventually got the credit he deserved. In SAF last few years he was like a one man MF. He was one of our smartest investments and if England weren’t stuck in there ways of trying to get all their top players into MF that all play the same and just put Carrick in there they would of been so much better

sp_107

We were talking about the need of fixing our midfield back in 2010 and 10 years later we are still talking the same. Not good.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
There aren’t many midfielders like Carrick these days, it’s almost like the high press and inside forwards has changed the type of players coming through. United have been especially poor buying midfielders but I look at the top sides and there’s only a few that really stand out and usually not on the market or available. When Veratti and the likes of Busquets retire I really hope there is a new generation coming through.

CloneMC16

I would do anything for us to have Carrick in his prime right now.

Blood Mage

A phenomenal footballer who was disgustingly unappreciated for much of his time here. United fans were spoilt watching Scholes for so long, Carrick's only crime was not being quite as good as one of the best CMs ever.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It is so funny to look back at the hate he got. At the time we were champions and he wasn't really the best, because he would pass sideways and backwards loads. Once Jonny Evans got very frustrated with him. When we had no midfield we realised hes good and now he would be a miracle.

kthanksbye

The number of times Fred takes a first touch and loses the ball and Scott takes a touch towards our goal to protect the ball instead of switching play and completely slow the game down and allows the opposition to get into shape makes me miss Carrick so much.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Carrick joins in 2006 and Utd go on to win 3 titles in a row and reach 2 CL finals. Coincidence?

GueRed

Was under appreciated for a long time.

We havent had a top class centre-midfielder since.

GueRed

15 years ago today Michael Carrick made his Man Utd debut...

...yesterday we were reminded, again, that we never replaced him when he retired.
we havent replaced Van Persie as well. The last world class striker we've had on our books.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
He knew how to keep simple things simple, and when needed he could ping pin point passes as well. I underrated him for years before my football knowledge matured.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Great player. Plenty wanted him gone in 2010 and replaced with Rodwell.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He was class. Went through a period of underperformance though from around ~2009 to ~2011, but regained his form in the following seasons. Was one of our best players after RvP in 2012-2013.

SambaBoy

He had his periods where he was absolutely brilliant in our midfield, but also times where he didn't really have an impact and had really lengthy periods where he was average/good. I think he was a confidence player to some extent, and only felt he really belonged at United in his last 4/5 years.

In 12-13 was it? It was one of the best individual season I've seen from a United player, he really dictated games from deep and his pass selection was key to getting us on the front foot.

BaggiesBoy93

Supports
West Bromwich Albion
As an Albion fan who admires Man Utd (always have since a child) Carrick was the midfielder that caught my eye for how simple he made the game look. An absolutely brilliant footballer who deserves much, much more recognition!

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Matic was good at what he did for another club. But true penetrative passing? Still levels below Carrick at his worst.
Yes we have signed Matic a couple of season too late.

And yes Carrick was overall a little bit better than Matic.

But my point was that Matic in his prime was 2-3 levels above the current McFred.....both are just average.

Bobski

Very strong positionally, while also covering a lot of ground. Superbly 2 footed with his passing as well, didn't have the Scholes Ping but was excellent(maybe even better than Scholes in this one area of passing) at whipping passes on the ground through the lines to the strikers feet from deep positions.