Film 1917 (2019)

United Hobbit

I can't seem to find a thread about this film, if there is one feel free to stick this in it

Has anyone seen it yet?

Saw it Friday it was so moving and some of the camera angles made you feel like you were there I even jumped a few times.

You also actually cared about the characters as well. It really reflected just how horrific the war was.

Would be interesting to see which parts if any have been "dramatised" and which actually happened.

MadMike

Watched it today. What a feast this movie was. Had me at the edge of my seat all the way, so engaging and visceral. The cinematography in particular is outstanding.

Highly recommended watch.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Watched it today. What a feast this movie was. Had me at the edge of my seat all the way, so engaging and visceral. The cinematography in particular is outstanding.

Highly recommended watch.
Same cinematographer as Shawshank and the recent Blade Runner, isn't he? Oh, and don't forget The Big Lebowski...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Same cinematographer as Shawshank and the recent Blade Runner, isn't he? Oh, and don't forget The Big Lebowski...
Roger Deakins, yeah, amazingly Blade Runner 2049 was his first Oscar win, but he'll surely get another for this.

I wrote a review in the movie thread already about this but it's definitely in my top 3 over the last year, don't think anything can topple Parasite at #1.

It really took single shot to a whole other level.

Although, feck me, the main dude must have a serious bladder.

oh and the soundtrack is incredible, fecking love Thomas Newman

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Got absolutely no desire to see any more war films. I’m sure it’s technically good, but once you’ve seen Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan - not sure what else needs to be said on the subject.

MadMike

Got absolutely no desire to see any more war films. I’m sure it’s technically good, but once you’ve seen Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan - not sure what else needs to be said on the subject.
That's why I stopped watching football in 1999. After watching the treble season what else is there that can come close.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
That's why I stopped watching football in 1999. After watching the treble season what else is there that can come close.
Well football is constantly changing and provides many memorable moments. I watched Dunkirk in cinemas and just thought that I’d seen the same set pieces before.

GBBQ

I had the same misgivings but have to say I really enjoyed it. Glad I didn’t write it off as it was on of the most engaging films I’ve seen in a long time.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Come and See.

Massive Spanner

Well it's a WW1 film, which was a very different type of war than WW2 (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers). I thought it did an excellent job capturing the horrors of trench warfare.

Massive Spanner

What do you mean by this?
It's probably a spoiler if I explain it so..

Assuming the film takes place over a 16-24 hour period (depending on how long he was knocked out) and he never takes a piss, and he was asleep for god knows how long at the start!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Band of Brothers wasn't a film wummy ffs. I think you need to watch more war films and do some research.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Have you seen Jojo Rabbit? Very fresh take on the war film genre I thought (though I guess you could draw parallels with Life is beautiful).

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Was gonna watch this but I've seen Lord of the Rings so I already know what happens.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Have you seen Jojo Rabbit? Very fresh take on the war film genre I thought (though I guess you could draw parallels with Life is beautiful).
Yes! Loved it! But that wasn’t necessarily a war film. I mean a film with all the battles. I saw that Peter Jackson film last year as well.

arnie_ni

It's probably a spoiler if I explain it so..

Assuming the film takes place over a 16-24 hour period (depending on how long he was knocked out) and he never takes a piss, and he was asleep for god knows how long at the start!
Awh thought you meant the actor!

SuperiorXI

Just seen it. What a film.

The scene where the soldiers go over the top while William tries to run by them was one of the best scenes I've ever seen.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Great film. It is bloody captivating and that first intro is probably one of the greatest scenes in film history.

This scene and the music doesn't hit you until you actually put yourself in the position of what these guys are about to do. Trench warfare was virtually mass suicide and these blokes knew it.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yeah Jojo Rabbit was so much better than this cheap spectacle. Really surprised so many people thought this was a great movie.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This was some experience, beautifully shot and some genuine and some genuinely edge of your seat moments.

It’s poignant and makes a big statement with a straightforward story told so so well. It will be the best film I see all year I’m sure.

Spark

An absolutely awesome film. An extremely stressful experience at times, with some actual scary moments.

My heart was racing for pretty much all of it. This will go down as an all time classic in my opinion.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Sam Mendes directed Road to Perdition? I never knew this. I absolutely love that film.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It will be the best film I see all year I’m sure.
I'd be careful with statements like that so early in the year. I said the exact same after Fifty Shades Freed in Feb 2018 but then BAM - Show Dogs in May.

Dante

Average bang
It was good. The special effects did most of the work. You couldn't have made this 20 years ago.

Member 39557

It was good. The special effects did most of the work. You couldn't have made this 20 years ago.
Yes.
Special effects/the way it was shot aside, the actual film wasn't that great.
Good spectacle though.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I feel similarly but towards the WWII genre of movies. I never knew much about WWI since Merica never was there to “win” the whole thing. And I’ve been wondering why there were always WWII and Vietnam films but never any films from other wars like WWI and others.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
If you guys like stuff about WWI, I highly recommend the documentary on Amazon called They Shall Not Grow Old which was directed by Peter Jackson. They took actual film and mastered the color and motions to look very realistic. Totally worth the $10 you gotta pay to watch.

Massive Spanner

Yes.
Special effects/the way it was shot aside, the actual film wasn't that great.
Good spectacle though.
isn't that exactly what it was supposed to be, though? I saw it in IMAX and was blown away across the two hours. Not many films I've seen could do it to me, and there were a few moments that made me genuinely gasp. This, like Gravity, wasn't a film made for the small screen (although it's a much better overall film than Gravity). In terms of what it was I thought it was incredible.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If you guys like stuff about WWI, I highly recommend the documentary on Amazon called They Shall Not Grow Old which was directed by Peter Jackson. They took actual film and mastered the color and motions to look very realistic. Totally worth the $10 you gotta pay to watch.
It's a very emotional watch that. Breaks your heart the effects WW1 had, and little did we know there was only worse in store over the next 100 years afterwards.