1979 documentary Football is dying?

lsd

The Oracle

This popped up in YouTube today I found it fascinating to see just how far football has come from those days and wonder which way was actually better

GJNJ

Fascinating. Apart from football in America not taking off quite as he expected Brian Clough had great forsite for the future with increased revenues from sponsorship/none football investment and also the pitfalls.

Schneckerl

Just about the title, not the content, to be honest:
The year is interesting because 1977-1979 was arguably the weakest looking period of superstars post WW2, with the 70s greats being past it and 80s stars not being there yet for whatever reason simultaneously.
Similarly, for clubs—the European football club finals matchups of that period would also make me think that football was dying.

MoskvaRed

It’s easy to forget just how sharp Brian Clough was at his peak. Elton is also spot on about the stadia of that era. Unfortunately it took two disasters in England before anything changed.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Just about the title, not the content, to be honest:
The year is interesting because 1977-1979 was arguably the weakest looking period of superstars post WW2, with the 70s greats being past it and 80s stars not being there yet for whatever reason simultaneously.
Similarly, for clubs—the European football club finals matchups of that period would also make me think that football was dying.
There were quite a few super stars back in south America, most just hadn't made the jump to Europe and particularly serie a.

It was just a mediocre period for europe.