Film 1999: The Greatest Year In Modern Cinema?

Reiver

Read a Guardian article today in which the writer makes this claim.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...x-was-1999-the-greatest-year-in-modern-cinema

These are some of the films listed:
The Matrix. Magnolia. Being John Malkovich. Fight Club. The Blair Witch Project. The Sixth Sense. Office Space. Man on the Moon. The Talented Mr. Ripley. Boys Don’t Cry. Three Kings. Toy Story 2. The Iron Giant. Eyes Wide Shut. Cruel Intentions. Election. American Pie. Notting Hill and Runaway Bride.

Not saying I like all the films listed there but I agree 1999 was a hell of a year. Any other years that would be contenders?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Read a Guardian article today in which the writer makes this claim.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...x-was-1999-the-greatest-year-in-modern-cinema

These are some of the films listed:
The Matrix. Magnolia. Being John Malkovich. Fight Club. The Blair Witch Project. The Sixth Sense. Office Space. Man on the Moon. The Talented Mr. Ripley. Boys Don’t Cry. Three Kings. Toy Story 2. The Iron Giant. Eyes Wide Shut. Cruel Intentions. Election. American Pie. Notting Hill and Runaway Bride.

Not saying I like all the films listed there but I agree 1999 was a hell of a year. Any other years that would be contenders?
Odd that they left out American Beauty.

DavidDeSchmikes

Don't forget Green Mile, Galaxy Quest, Bowfinger, 10 things I hate about you

1994 could be considered a contender

Eckers99

Interesting article. I haven't seen it in a long time but critics omitting it from a discussion about the key films of '99 are being disingenuous in the extreme. Especially when Notting fecking Hill gets a mention.

Aside from that, didn't Run Lola Run come out in 99? That might even be the most influential of all of that year's films.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
A cursory glance tells me all years around then were generally strong.

1998 was just as good:

Saving Ryan's Privates, The Thin Red Line, The Big Lebowski, Rushmore, American History, The Truman Show, Pi, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Lock Stock and a Two Smoking Barrels, Rush Hour, Festen, Buffalo '66, Out of Sight, Sliding Doors.

And for the true kino fans among us:

Run Lola Run, Festen, Fallen Angels, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Hana Bi, Funny Games (original), Taste of Cherry, The City of Lost Children, After Life.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Maybe American Beauty is suffering because of the the Spacey backlash?

Eckers99

Maybe American Beauty is suffering because of the the Spacey backlash?
I'm sure it's a factor. I couldn't get into House of Cards, as I only started after the Spacey stories broke and found him pretty repellent (even if some of that was his character).

I'd probably feel the same about AB if I saw it now for the first time. Shame really, was a good film and a smart spin on Death of a Salesman.