1st XI rotation til season end?

romufc

I hope fans realise this. The games are coming at a rate that is completely abnormal to the norm. Granted, all teams are in the same boat but at some stage we're going to need some luck as well.
We have to keep the pressure on the teams above us. We do not have a squad with enough quality to rotate.

There is no difference to end of season where teams play CL PL CL PL FA PL CL games every 3/4 days. We saw Liverpool do it last year. City to some extent too.

Granted we need luck but I think there are certain players that have to start most PL games.

gza the genius

Our back 5 is mostly fine and shouldn't need much rotation. In midfield we should be able to go with Mctominay, Fred plus either Pogba or Bruno and rest the other. I'm mostly worried about the front three - we've really only got Ighalo and James to bring in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mcguire and Bruno will both require a game off at some point. It’s just possible to play at such intensity for so long. Or they will pick up a muscle injury because the are entering games with tired limbs.

I think Bailly/Lindelof is fine against most teams we have to play, I’d rest Mcguire vs Palace. Also give Bruno full game off vs Villa or Southampton. Play Pogba at 10, and bring in Fred.

Williams should also start next two games, alternating rest for Shaw and AWB.

Front 3 are fine, though Igalo can start some games if need be.
This is where the 5 subs rule was implemented for this. So we can sub them off when they look exhausted and also to prevent overplaying them. We have winnable league fixtures before Leicester game and we should try to finish the game off quickly and use the 5 sub rule to rest them.

We can't afford to rest Maguire. Take him off and we are screwed and you are underestimating Crystal Palace. This is basically a 5 weeks of 11 games. Similar to team plays in league, international games & champions league. They had 3 months break to begin with anyway. I'm not physio so it's really difficult to agree or disagree with you about players like Maguire & Bruno will get muscle injury when players had 3 months game off and every player has different natural fitness.

Utdstar01

Bournemouth and Southampton are the worst teams in this run so makes sense to rotate in them, but not much, 1 or 2 players rotated at best that's all. Can't enter a match playing with Lingard and Pereira if that's what you are talking about.
Villa are far worse than Southampton but i assume you're just thinking of home games.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I keep reading this. Liverpool played 2 seasons of PL and CL without rotating.

Liverpool have played 50 games this season:

VVD - 43
Trent - 43
Robertson - 43
Gini - 40
Mane - 40
Salah - 41
Firminho - 45
So they get a rest every 6 or 7 games. And won’t have played at this level of frequency. Thought so. But you think ours can play 14 on the bounce, after 3 months of inactivity. Not a chance.

These is a nativity or delusion in some responses in this thread. Of course everyone wants our best XI to play every game. But that’s just not going to be possible.

Mcguire, AWB, Bruno, pogba Rashford and Martial will all require one full game off at some point. Our squad will have to step up at that point.

romufc

So they get a rest every 6 or 7 games. And won’t have played at this level of frequency. Thought so. But you think ours can play 14 on the bounce, after 3 months of inactivity. Not a chance.

These is a nativity or delusion in some responses in this thread. Of course everyone wants our best XI to play every game. But that’s just not going to be possible.

Mcguire, AWB, Bruno, pogba Rashford and Martial will all require one full game off at some point. Our squad will have to step up at that point.
Erm no because they didnt start league cup and FA cup games. Firminho, Trent and VVD have all played 31 PL games.

If you remember in Dec/ Jan they played games every 3/4 days.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we did rotate then we can't not play pogba and bruno. They need to take it in turns.

Infra-red

It'll be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation the second we drop points.

It's going to be unrealistic to see our starting eleven start every single game from now on - and that's assuming that we don't suffer any injuries that would force a change anyway!
If we keep to the same eleven, play a bad game, Ole will be hit with "He's run these players into the ground, we needed a fresh pair of legs here and there".
If he makes one or two changes, he'll be hit with "Why tinker with a winning team!".

I hope fans realise this. The games are coming at a rate that is completely abnormal to the norm. Granted, all teams are in the same boat but at some stage we're going to need some luck as well.

I think Bournemouth is the best game to rest a couple of players. I'd say give Ighalo a start instead of Rashford, give Fred or McTominay a game instead of Matic.
I expect that the first XI will start against Bournemouth, Villa, Chelsea (FA Cup) and Leicester.

We'll look to rotate for Saints, Palace and West Ham, where Bailly, Williams, Mctominay, Fred and Ighalo can probably all expect to get a start or two.

baskinginthesun

I like the 5 subs rule for the time being to help manage game fitness. I feel this is the reason limited rotation will be needed. I would even argue that the team isn't at full throttle for 90 minutes, especially if we kill the opposition off in the first 55-60 minutes. (Obviously, not all games will go like this but, it means players can play at a lower intensity to manage their energy levels for the next match. At least for the last 30 min, anyway).

Dante

Average bang
CompetitionDateHomeAwayNo. of days' rest
EPL
04/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedBournemouth
4​
EPL
09/07/2020​
Aston VillaManchester United
5​
EPL
13/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedSouthampton
4​
EPL
16/07/2020​
Crystal PalaceManchester United
3​
FAC semi
19/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedChelsea
3​
EPL
22/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedWest Ham
3​
EPL
26/07/2020​
LeicesterManchester United
4​
FAC final
01/08/2020​
6​
UEL quarter
05/08/2020​
Manchester UnitedLASK
4​
UEL semi
10/08/2020​
5​
UEL semi
16/08/2020​
6​
UEL final
21/08/2020​
5​

Up until the end of the league campaign, we're going to have to rotate the squad. The rest periods for the the Europa League should let us play our strongest team in all the matches we can get through to.

Lee565

If we can get a 2 goal lead against the likes of Bournemouth, villa or west ham going into half time (which is easily possible) then I think it would be wise to sub 2 players offout of matic, Fernandes and pogba at the restart of the 2nd half.

I think we should also rest Fernandes and pogba against chelsea in the fa cup, we have had Chelsea's number this season without really needing either of them to do so, could probably start james in the game as well as chelsea will allow us the space to play on the counter like in the previous games that we have had with them this season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
CompetitionDateHomeAwayNo. of days' rest
EPL
04/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedBournemouth
4​
EPL
09/07/2020​
Aston VillaManchester United
5​
EPL
13/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedSouthampton
4​
EPL
16/07/2020​
Crystal PalaceManchester United
3​
FAC semi
19/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedChelsea
3​
EPL
22/07/2020​
Manchester UnitedWest Ham
3​
EPL
26/07/2020​
LeicesterManchester United
4​
FAC final
01/08/2020​
6​
UEL quarter
05/08/2020​
Manchester UnitedLASK
4​
UEL semi
10/08/2020​
5​
UEL semi
16/08/2020​
6​
UEL final
21/08/2020​
5​

Up until the end of the league campaign, we're going to have to rotate the squad. The rest periods for the the Europa League should let us play our strongest team in all the matches we can get through to.
I think OGS should strategically rotate in a way that his best XI can be fit for games against Chelsea and Leicester. For that to be possible, Mcguire, AWB, Matic, Bruno pogba Martial and Rashford will need one game off at some point.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I only have trust in Bailly, Fred and Ighalo. With them in squad our performances will not drop (much).
Others should play only if game is already won

Red Royal

I only have trust in Bailly, Fred and Ighalo. With them in squad our performances will not drop (much).
Plus McTominay, Williams and even James maybe... but it can only 1 or 2 swaps from the team that started last two games.

Mainoldo

Agreed. I’d also play a B team against Chelsea. Top 4 is the most important forget the FA cup.

Eire Red United

Williams perfectly capable of filling in for Shaw and AWB, only need to rest one of Martial/ Rashford and Pogba/Bruno at a time, Fred and James can both come in.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think itll be small parts rotation against Southampton and Palace and possibly West Ham. The FA cup game is just a bit awkwardly placed.

Something like Williams, James and Ighalo in for one game, McTominay, Fred and one of the first 3 in for the other sort of thing. I'd say Ole trusts those 5, and trusts Bailly but the center backs are generally fine starting every game.
Williams to rotate in for Shaw and Wan Bissaka once each. Ighalo to rotate in for Martial once. James once for Rashford and once for Greenwood. Fred and McTominay twice for Matic and once for Pogba and once for Bruno.

Then full rotation for the game against Lask as we have a 5-0 lead, before going main 11 for the remaining games, along with full strength against Villa, Chelsea, Leicester, and the FA Cup final (if we reach it).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Think itll be small parts rotation against Southampton and Palace and possibly West Ham. The FA cup game is just a bit awkwardly placed.

Something like Williams, James and Ighalo in for one game, McTominay, Fred and one of the first 3 in for the other sort of thing. I'd say Ole trusts those 5, and trusts Bailly but the center backs are generally fine starting every game.
Williams to rotate in for Shaw and Wan Bissaka once each. Ighalo to rotate in for Martial once. James once for Rashford and once for Greenwood. Fred and McTominay twice for Matic and once for Pogba and once for Bruno.

Then full rotation for the game against Lask as we have a 5-0 lead, before going main 11 for the remaining games, along with full strength against Villa, Chelsea, Leicester, and the FA Cup final (if we reach it).
Yeah. that's pretty much what I also expect.