2009 Baseball Season

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Probably not the most popular of the sports on here but Spring Training has started.

I guess i'll start by stating im a lifer Sox fan, one of those unlucky to be born into it, but lucky to have stuck with it. Exciting times.

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
Anderson is my new best friend. God bless you son. Red Sox Fan since 1967. Incidentally, a premier Red Sox site is Sons of Sam Horn, if you have never taken a look. I post on the Globe and Herald sites but SOSH is head and shoulders above any other baseball forum I have ever seen. There is a lot of emphasis on sabermetrics. Among their posters are Curt Schilling (G38) and John Henry, the owner, plus several columnists. The match threads are outstanding.

Alex: you are dead to me.

Alex

I'm sorry to hear that, when you have a family member who played over a decade for the Yankees, you learn to love them.

The Sox arent that much better, funny how much they complain about the Yankees payroll when they dwarf basically every other team in MLB

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Anderson is my new best friend. God bless you son. Red Sox Fan since 1967. Incidentally, a premier Red Sox site is Sons of Sam Horn, if you have never taken a look. I post on the Globe and Herald sites but SOSH is head and shoulders above any other baseball forum I have ever seen. There is a lot of emphasis on sabermetrics. Among their posters are Curt Schilling (G38) and John Henry, the owner, plus several columnists. The match threads are outstanding.

Alex: you are dead to me.
SOSH is a brilliant forum but I never got around to joining. Like here I read the forums but don't have the nuts to join and contribute. I decided to join here because of the season, but I reckon come April i'll join SOSH.

Helluva year to start being a sox fan too in 67, those were the days I wish I was born into rather than the dead early 90's, where the Division title was really all we held claim to, the Wildcard in 1999 was murder but I remember being VERY young and Mo Vaughan did all Fenway many a lap on a horse.

Pleasue to meet you on here and maybe on there.

I'm sorry to hear that, when you have a family member who played over a decade for the Yankees, you learn to love them.

The Sox arent that much better, funny how much they complain about the Yankees payroll when they dwarf basically every other team in MLB
There's a big difference, I break it down all the time how the Red Sox have "godfathered" contracts of players who come through our system, trades early in careers, etc. High payroll for the Yankees is all signings for the vast majority of it, and next to nil of their high payrolls are developed in the Yankee system.

I don't like to argue about it because i'm not the type: I respect the great history of the Yankees and the players that have dawned the pinstripes... you could say i'm one in a million Sox fans.

Hate, is usually accompanied by respect anyways.

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
Alex: my detestation of the Yankees does not extend to the legends the MFYs have spawned. Ruth, Gehrig (whose bravery was heart-stopping), DiMaggio, and most of all, The Mick. He was a naive kid from Oklahoma when he came up to the bigs, with an amazing talent. Unfortunately, he fell in with the Whitey Ford crowd who were city slickers and knew how to drink. That was Mick's downfall, other than bad knees. His father died young and I think he always had a death wish. I saw him at his last bat. I cried when he died and still tear up when I think of him and his fabulous career.

Rooney24

whatever happened to joe Carter? Or Fred mcGriff for that matter?

Alex

Alex: my detestation of the Yankees does not extend to the legends the MFYs have spawned. Ruth, Gehrig (whose bravery was heart-stopping), DiMaggio, and most of all, The Mick. He was a naive kid from Oklahoma when he came up to the bigs, with an amazing talent. Unfortunately, he fell in with the Whitey Ford crowd who were city slickers and knew how to drink. That was Mick's downfall, other than bad knees. His father died young and I think he always had a death wish. I saw him at his last bat. I cried when he died and still tear up when I think of him and his fabulous career.
Part of the reason he had bad knees is fecking DiMaggio took him out and tore on his knees out, few players ever have been as talented as the Mick, one of the most talented players ever. Have more repsect for Gehrig than just about any other athlete, his speech was one of the greatest moments in the history of sport.

The Babe was the greatest baseball player of all time, by some way, great pitcher and 714 HRs in the deadball era, unfecking real.

mboRa ndomHer0723

The Babe was the greatest baseball player of all time, by some way, great pitcher and 714 HRs in the deadball era, unfecking real.
I always make this arguement. How can he not be with those batting numbers and being a good pitcher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k9topprospectspt1

Nice little article on prospects for next season, they rank 100 some odd
I love these types of articles for some reason.

Leg-End

Anybody bought one of the new baseball games for this season yet? I have MLB 09 The Show on order from Canada, dispatched yesterday :D

Great article that, one thing I like about baseball is all the different types of players there can be, people who don't watch it just assume its a bunch of blokes hitting a ball but a team full of HR hitters would come nowhere.

Alex

Anybody bought one of the new baseball games for this season yet? I have MLB 09 The Show on order from Canada, dispatched yesterday :D

Great article that, one thing I like about baseball is all the different types of players there can be, people who don't watch it just assume its a bunch of blokes hitting a ball but a team full of HR hitters would come nowhere.
Can be said about most team sports to be fair

Leg-End

True enough but it's something that people overlook in baseball.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player

2K sports upped their ante, 2008 was a quality game... after EA Sports lost their MLB rights i've gone 2K and haven't been dissapointed over the years.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I like White Sox, but have no clue about baseball apart from knowing the rules and other obvious stuff. I started 'supporting' them in 2004 or summat, they went on to win the title surprisingly the following year.

The only reason I like them more than the rest is that I actually went to a few of their games, while I couldn't get a ticket to any of Cubs games. I actually liked the atmosphere of it, particularly the third time I went there as there was a group of cheerleader sitting two rows down, amazing sights.

Leg-End

2K sports upped their ante, 2008 was a quality game... after EA Sports lost their MLB rights i've gone 2K and haven't been dissapointed over the years.
Have you played The Show versions though? I have 07 and 08, tried the 09 demo last week and instantly went and ordered it online. 2K is supposedly not a scratch on The Show, I can only take what I read from reviews and forums though as I have never played 2K's version.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Have you played The Show versions though? I have 07 and 08, tried the 09 demo last week and instantly went and ordered it online. 2K is supposedly not a scratch on The Show, I can only take what I read from reviews and forums though as I have never played 2K's version.
We're on the opposite end, i've not yet played the show, hell I even played the bigs :lol:

Might do what I did with the NBA games this year, even though I kept with EA Sports i tried 2K9 and was impressed.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
My poor Blue Jays are destined for 5th in the AL East... :(
So odd that just in 2006 some would say they were the biggest threat to claiming the wild card from us or the Yankees... now Tampa are AL Champs, Baltimore are developing... just sad.

How Alex Rios & Vernon Wells are still there is beyond me.

And Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in the game.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Gotta say I've always had a soft spot for Boston what with the whole curse and all. I was actually in America during the comeback in the ALCS in 2004 and from then I was hooked.

So I guess I'm a Red Sox fan.

B Cantona

Desperate
I shamelessly have a preference for the White Sox after watching Field of Dreams all those years ago. I even went as far as to purchase home pin stripes, albeit I cocked up royal ordering a 'large', forgetting I was ordering from America. You could fit 3 of me in it :(

Anyway, I have subscribed to ESPN so I can watch some baseball again this season. I see tonight there are some 'World baseball classic' games being played, which I won't be watching because there's good football on including our own game at Fulham. But what is this, is it like the World Cup of baseball? Is it an annual contest?

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Gotta say I've always had a soft spot for Boston what with the whole curse and all. I was actually in America during the comeback in the ALCS in 2004 and from then I was hooked.

So I guess I'm a Red Sox fan.
Alot of people were hooked by it, it's the fans that came after the World Series, the pink hats if you will, that made me sick.

I shamelessly have a preference for the White Sox after watching Field of Dreams all those years ago. I even went as far as to purchase home pin stripes, albeit I cocked up royal ordering a 'large', forgetting I was ordering from America. You could fit 3 of me in it :(

Anyway, I have subscribed to ESPN so I can watch some baseball again this season. I see tonight there are some 'World baseball classic' games being played, which I won't be watching because there's good football on including our own game at Fulham. But what is this, is it like the World Cup of baseball? Is it an annual contest?
It's going to be an tri-annual thing, really just to keep International baseball existing after the threat (And eventual expulsion) of the Olympics tournament.

It was made "incase".

Rooney1987

I'm a Yankee fan.

Just heard some bad news for fans over here in England 5ive are not showing baseball on. Even though I have MLB TV its still sad.

chewingkebabs

Ahahahaha, the Netherlands beat Dominican Republic TWICE in the World Baseball Classic, eliminating them. This is the equivalent of the Dominican Republic knocking out the Netherlands in the football World Cup.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I'm a Yankee fan.

Just heard some bad news for fans over here in England 5ive are not showing baseball on. Even though I have MLB TV its still sad.
Really?

Why is that?

Edit: It seems that they will still be showing baseball but they won't have the studio show. Not the worst news ever but it does mean no more Johnny and JC. :(