2013 Gold Cup

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Anyone watching this?

I just watched Canada lose to Martinique 1-0...

Is Hernandez playing for Mexico?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: Canada...

No, he's not. It'll be a B-team for Mexico. So they may not score any goals...

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
:lol: that bloke holding up fingers counting the keeper hold time.

Classic - I always do that from the arm chair... "6 seconds....6 SECONDS... 6 SECONDS COME ON.."

oh 1-1 right on the stroke of half time. Good goal too.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Mexico lose 2-1. If the USA doesn't win this by a pretty large margin, it will be a big disappointment. The other teams in it are pretty weak.

If we play like we did against Guatemala, it should be entertaining at least. Stuart Holden was fantastic after his long layoff.

MUFC07

Mexico lose 2-1. If the USA doesn't win this by a pretty large margin, it will be a big disappointment. The other teams in it are pretty weak.

If we play like we did against Guatemala, it should be entertaining at least. Stuart Holden was fantastic after his long layoff.

:lol:

The beautiful thing is, you don't even get the chance to throw that 5-0 back at us, we're not making it to the final :lol:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol:

The beautiful thing is, you don't even get the chance to throw that 5-0 back at us, we're not making it to the final :lol:

:lol: True. In the FIFA ranking system, there's a chance our ranking goes down despite winning games in the Gold Cup.

MUFC07

No, because it's shite. I hate the Gold Cup (except for last one's final, when we beat the US 4-2 at their home after being 2-0 down, in the US... and perhaps the 5-0).

I actually thought we ought to be playing in the CONMEBOL just as Australia play in Asia... but we are struggling to get to the WC as it is!!! FFS. Really, the level of the CONCACAF is too low.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Playing this tournament twice per World Cup cycles is ridiculous and strictly a money grab by CONCACAF.

Mexico's play is shocking and I wouldn't be surprised if the coach is axed this week. That said, watch them scrape second in the group and knock off the US in the quarters. That would suck ass. The US should walk this tournament even though they too are fielding a B/experimental side for the most part.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Martinique's goal deserves praise. What a strike:

1:10

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
We just conceded to Belize...fml. Still up 3-1 at half, mind. Wondolowski(with a misspelled shirt) has a hat trick.

MUFC07

Playing this tournament twice per World Cup cycles is ridiculous and strictly a money grab by CONCACAF.

Mexico's play is shocking and I wouldn't be surprised if the coach is axed this week. That said, watch them scrape second in the group and knock off the US in the quarters. That would suck ass. The US should walk this tournament even though they too are fielding a B/experimental side for the most part.

This should happen.

None of them will happen :(

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
4-1. Stuart Holden scores. Not a bad comeback from long-term-long-term injury.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
ended up 6-1, iirc. at least the US wasn't trying to run up the score more than that (79-1?) at the end there.

it was a nice run out for some newish (& old) blood and Belize get a goal to their name too.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
After falling behind to Cuba, the US won 4-1. So that's a GD of +8. We progressed to the quarters!!!!!!!!!!

If we beat Costa Rica, probably our most difficult game, we will face Martinique or somebody.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Costa Rica keeper just made a save with his hands 5 yards outside the box...yellow card. fecking hell.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The US is playing English football right now. Lump it long...repeatedly.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
But the US apparently had 62% possession for the match--that isn't the English game.

:lol: Fair point. But a large part was in the second half when we could barely get it out of our own half. Still, a win over our biggest competition til the final, probably.

MrMarcello

Wondo went missing again... perhaps this will end the jizz fest by Wynalda and company about him. He's an average goal poacher at best at this level.

Great to see Shea get his first goal. Hopefully, his progress doesn't get stunted at Stoke (not holding my breath).

How the ref missed the keeper/red no idea. Perhaps there was a CR player behind him and I believe replay showed a defender back there. But the keeper denied a clear goalscoring chance with his hands outside the box.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What a borefest that was. The crowd was lively, but the match was of poor quality, neither side being able to establish a rhythm.

Donovan provided the assist but was wasteful at times, how he won man of the match is beyond me. I couldn't tell whether Beasley was playing left back or left winger, but he was our best offensive outlet. Diskerud was great in the middle, always available for a pass. Defense was solid enough.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
What a borefest that was. The crowd was lively, but the match was of poor quality, neither side being able to establish a rhythm.

Donovan provided the assist but was wasteful at times, how he won man of the match is beyond me. I couldn't tell whether Beasley was playing left back or left winger, but he was our best offensive outlet. Diskerud was great in the middle, always available for a pass. Defense was solid enough.
poor enough alright but that counter attack goal was worth it, especially that pass from Donovan. I have to agree with Wynalda, the keeper nearly got it.

that keeper should have been seen red but because there was a US player (Donovan?) and a CR defender behind the keeper the ref can say he thought it wasn't a clear goalscoring chance. It looked pretty clear to me that the shot was goalbound, and not a pass to Donovan.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Mexico knocking on the Trinis door in a big way here. halftime now and still 0-0. If it stays like that I'd fancy T&T to sneak it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
2-0 USA. El Salvador had a great chance before the second, but the US looks like United camped outside the opposition box making chance after chance.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
US looking really good. Corona looks a player.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Eddie Johnson, with dyed blond hair, comes on. His first touch is a headed goal from a corner. 3-1.

beergod

Don't you wish your commentary was by Gus Johnson?
no. I'm going to learn Spanish just so I don't have to listen to that spastic.

I went to the Mexico - T&T match last night. Mexico should give their coach a lifetime contract.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I think Gus does a good job. Wynalda was in his element.
I see a big difference in the US team from 20 years ago, they seem to have depth now.

MrMarcello

I think Gus does a good job. Wynalda was in his element.
I see a big difference in the US team from 20 years ago, they seem to have depth now.
Fo sho. Back then they had the likes of Jean Harbor as striker depth. They had some decent defenders but the system played much more defensive under Bora (Boraball!) although it was the only way a group of amateurs and semi-pros sprinkled with a few professionals from Europe could expect to challenge.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
3-1, USA. Klinsmann got sent off because he shouted at the ref for missing a blatant foul. Not sure what CONCACAF's rules are for bans.

He was shouting because the ref let a knee-high studs-up challenge on Beasley go with no call.