2013 Golf Majors

Liam147

On Probation
Think this should be just a Masters thread?

Barring the Ryder Cup, which is in a bit of a league of its own, this is by far my favourite golf tournament. One of my favourite sporting tournaments actually.

Went with £20 on this tournament over four.

£5 - Woods to win - Form.
£2.50 E/W:
Bradley - 40/1? Is he not using clubs? Won a major and then came third the year after. Irritatingly good at the Ryder Cup too. If he reproduces that form he'll make a mockery of that price.
Rose - Brilliant in the Ryder Cup, if he can keep that putting up, he's every chance of at least placing for me.
Westwood - despite poor form recently, he's often there or thereabouts in the Masters, even if it's eluded him.

Think I've been betting on this for two or three years now, and always had something to come back (had Bubba Watson last year along with a couple of others).

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
If Tiger plays like has the last few tournaments he will win. If he cuts out the stupid mistakes he has made in those tournaments he will win by a large margin. I fancy Bradley, Woods and one of the Brits, possibly Donald to all be there or there abouts come Sunday.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I've been on Donald before, and hoped his excellent short game (which it really was at the time. Number one I think at the time) would make up for it. It didn't.
I do the same every year as well. Convinced he will win one eventually. Probably wiser to back him each way as he has a incredible consistency of making top 10's, admittedly not as much recently.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
My very favourite golf competition (excluding the Ryder cup) because of the magic that is that amazing golf course. I think the masters is so special because we know every hole and know where people choke.

I'd love to see our man McIlroy win it but he's just so shit this year. Maybe this will awaken him again. If he wins does he go No1 again?

alastair

ignorant
If anyone's looking for a good each way Bo Van Pelt is a good shout.

My money's going on Keegan Bradley though. Already won the USPGA and maybe this is his time at the Masters. Could be a year too soon though.

Players I'd avoid are Luke Donald, Lee Westwood and Phil Mickleson. The first two are complete bottlers and Phil(much as I love my fellow leftie) isn't driving the ball well at all.

Liam147

On Probation
I'm not sure it's fair to call Westwood a bottler, unless you're strictly talking about wins. Although his last round might be a ***, his first three tend to see him place. Often good for an EW bet.

Irwinwastheking

As an Irishman the one golfer I'd love to see win a major now outside of our boys is Westwood by a mile. I really love the guy and I think he's really due win. Also Poulter is really growing on me. I didn't like the guy pre Ryder cup and he won me over there..

alastair

ignorant
I'm not sure it's fair to call Westwood a bottler, unless you're strictly talking about wins. Although his last round might be a ***, his first three tend to see him place. Often good for an EW bet.
I am talking about wins.

Him and Donald are the golfing equivalent of Adebayor. They'll do just enough to make sure they're paid handsomely but whether they win or not is second in terms of importance.

They're both very good players but they just don't go for it in the 4th round like a MacIlroy or a Mickelson might.

Irwinwastheking

At the end of the day, golfing greatness is defined by majors and perhaps to a lesser extent the Ryder cup, but even it only comes up every few years. To be up there with any of the best in history you need to have a few of the big ones. No-one will remember who won the order of merit in a few years.

Liam147

On Probation
At the end of the day, golfing greatness is defined by majors and perhaps to a lesser extent the Ryder cup, but even it only comes up every few years. To be up there with any of the best in history you need to have a few of the big ones. No-one will remember who won the order of merit in a few years.
Not totally sure about that. After all, we all know who the 'best player to never win a major' was don't we? That said, Westwood and Donald would have to continue going close for a number of years before being talked of like that.
When was the last time he won the Masters?
Irrelevant (sort of). He's playing his best golf in years, and with no other stand out contenders, he's back favourite for me.

Irwinwastheking

That's one off stuff though Liam. The vast majority of golfers will be judged on their major success.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
If we're looking for an outsider, then what about Justin Rose? He's become a top player on the PGA tour and his game suits Augusta. For me he's the most likely English bet.

Comsmit

If we're looking for an outsider, then what about Justin Rose? He's become a top player on the PGA tour and his game suits Augusta. For me he's the most likely English bet.
Good shout. He's more likely than Donald and his form is pretty good. I actually think Rose is the man most likely to end the English hoodoo at the Majors.

Say Goodbye

1 Tiger Woods USA 11.62
2 Rory McIlroy Nir 10.99
3 Justin Rose Eng 6.91
4 Luke Donald Eng 6.53
5 Brandt Snedeker USA 6.20
6 Louis Oosthuizen Zaf 5.97
7 Adam Scott Aus 5.59
8 Steve Stricker USA 5.58
9 Phil Mickelson USA 5.27
10 Matt Kuchar USA 5.27
Outsider? ;)

I suppose anyone apart from the top 2 are outsiders really.

Matteo Manassero's been in decent but unspectacular form recently. Hopefully he gets a top 10 finish.

Zen

When it comes to the Masters, Phil Mickelson is always a fave. Most consistent guy at Augusta, Woods is consistent there too minus past few years, but in form, he's pretty much a top 10 shoe in, something Rory Mcilroy is not(yet), his natural talent makes him a favourite.

I wouldn't mind an English winner though. Dustin Johnson is probably the best "outsider" bet I guess, considering I don't think of the 3 Englishmen as outsiders.

Say Goodbye

What's wrong with Justin?

Westwood pisses me off, constantly blaming his putting and being a bit of a miserable git. Get better at it then!

Irwinwastheking

Aah, it's a personality thing just. I like the main English stable of golfers but he's my least favourite.

Decotron

feck Rose! Id love to see Poulter win. The chap is a legend after the Ryder Cup. Hopefully he'll be remembered for more than that...

He's more than capable. His main problem and what he needs to find this week is some consistency.

Irwinwastheking

After what he did at the Ryder cup last year he fully deserves it. Do you know if they could have the Masters start the day after the Ryder cup he'd piss it/

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I can't wait for this to get going tomorrow. The best golf tournament there is, even better than the Ryder Cup in my view. (The golfing world doesn't revolve around the Americans and Europeans!) I've been studying for this tournament with a few nights and I still can't whittle my shortlist down to three/four players. First off, we all know the three main statistics required to win around Augusta are good GIR figures, very good putting, and those who "scramble" well when they do get in some trouble tend to be there or thereabouts come Sunday evening. (Driving accuracy is a good statistic to look at too, as is driving distance, as your driving cannot be too erratic around there, but you can't be too short off the tee, either. I'd put these statistics as being 4th and 5th in terms of importance behind the aforementioned three. Scoring at Augusta tends to come on the Par 5s so 'Par 5 birdie or better' scoring was looked at, too.)

After looking at these statistics comprehensively, you can begin to whittle down the 93 starters to a list of less than 20 pretty quickly. Of course, 20 golfers cannot win the tournament so you need to strike off a few that don't meet the "trends" such as top 50 in the world, won on US soil, made the cut in previous year's Masters, a top 10 finish in a Major, Top 10 finishes this season to date, etc. Others you just have to scratch off on a gut feeling. Of the players I had left, seven* remained: Brandt Snedeker, Sergio Garcia, Rickie Fowler, Jason Day, Ian Poulter, Graeme McDowell and Matt Kuchar. (* others such as McIlroy, Woods and Mickelson were also in but I rejected them for a differing reasons. Woods' price is too short, Mickelson's driving has been too erratic and McIlroy's wrestling with his new clubs is too much of a worry to firmly put faith in him.)

Of the seven mentioned, I am really sweet on Snedeker. This lad has been a revelation this season up until his injury. Had he not been injured recently, his price would be no more than 20/1. You can still back him at double that price, which considering his good record at Augusta and fantastic form in 2013, is mindboggling. I also am keen on Garcia and Fowler, and feel both of their games are very consistent coming into the tournament. I find it hard to discount the four others and will kick myself if one of them is wearing that Green Jacket on Sunday night. :( For what it's worth, here's the players mentioned and their key statistics this season to date (I've included 'Driving distance' with some players whom only had decent/average driving accuracy. Long-hitters can prosper at Augusta so long as they aren't too erratic and also possess good scrambling percentages):

* Brandt Snedeker 40/1:
GIR - 2nd on Tour
Scrambling: 2nd
Putts per round: 20th
Driving accuracy: 16th
Par 5 birdie or better: 14th
Best Augusta finish: T3 in 2008

* Sergio Garcia 45/1:
GIR - 28th on Tour
Scrambling: 51st
Putts per round: 28th
Driving accuracy: 75th
Driving distance: 46th
Par 5 birdie or better: 13th
Best Augusta finish: T4 in 2004

* Rickie Fowler 50/1:
GIR - 135th on Tour (willing to overlook as his scrambling is so good)
Scrambling: 8th
Putts per round: 12th
Driving accuracy: 17th
Par 5 birdie or better: 21st
Best Augusta finish: T27 in 2012 (Only second year in the field. Finished T38 in 2011)

Below are the other four on my shortlist that I cannot let go for the life of me:
* Jason Day 60/1:
GIR - 128th on Tour
Scrambling: 23rd
Putts per round: 34th
Driving accuracy: 159th
Driving distance: 13th
Par 5 birdie or better: 12th
Best Augusta finish: T2 in 2011

* Ian Poulter 40/1:
GIR - 172nd on Tour
Scrambling: 7th
Putts per round: 14th
Driving accuracy: 105th
Driving distance: 122nd
Par 5 birdie or better: 152nd
Best Augusta finish: T7 in 2012

* Graeme McDowell 50/1:
GIR - 167th on Tour
Scrambling: 1st
Putts per round: 11th
Driving accuracy: 4th
Par 5 birdie or better: 171st
Best Augusta finish: T12 in 2012

* Matt Kuchar 35/1:
GIR - 113th on Tour
Scrambling: 6th
Putts per round: 14th
Driving accuracy: 133rd
Driving distance: 136th
Par 5 birdie or better: 35th
Best Augusta finish: T3 in 2012

So for me, I think Snedeker, Garcia, Fowler and probably Day all have a good chance of being in contention on Sunday. All available ~ 40/1 mark too and Paddy Powers are paying 6 places so a decent shout of getting a return I hope. Three of the four have finished in the place money before and the other, Fowler, has shown great progression in his golf game and understanding/comfort of Augusta in his two years in the field. Fingers crossed. :D

P.S Apologies for the long-winded (and boring!) post; I just think trends and statistics are a vital part of golf betting and once seen in black and white, make a betting decision more clearer. Also, I understand that this isn't a Masters betting thread per se, but I didn't know where else to put it. All talk will be firmly on the golf action from now on! Good luck to one and all if you do happen to have a flutter. Here's hoping for another memorable Major...

forevrared

My dad went to the par 3 today for free. I'm ridiculously jealous, but I've got a new 2013 Masters hat and golf shirt out of it, so fair play.

forevrared

I went on Thursday in 2010. It was absolutely surreal. I'd say my jaw literally dropped no less than 10 times that day. I won't say there's something lost on you going just for one day, but I definitely would've liked to have had more time to sit at Amen Corner, on the hill at 6, etc. I just feel like you owe it to yourself to see the entire course at the first opportunity.