2016/17: Half-term review

jem

How would you rate our season so far?
7/10 but improving all the time. It seems strange that sitting in sixth place halfway through would merit this ranking, but given the last few years, Mourinho has generally had a positive impact on the team.

Any surprises as to how you thought we'd do? I'm not quite sure I get the wording of the question, but if we are talking individual surprises, Mata's significant role has been a surprise. I love the man, but I was sure Mourinho wouldn't have time for him. Fortunately, that hasn't been the case. Rojones has been a wonderful surprise pairing, and Valencia has turned back the clock to 2012, albeit in a different role.

Any disappointments? Martial, and to a lesser extent Rashford, have disappointed, but if you think about their respective ages and the competition in the squad, it's not a huge surprise. Chris Smalling, on the other hand, looks a shadow of the player who played so well over the last few seasons.

What are your expectations for the rest of the season? Continued improvement and deep run in the Europa League (I think we can win it.) Sadly, we've put ourselves in a bit of a hole, and making top-4, let alone the winning the title, will take some doing (all the more reason to take the Europa League seriously.)

Last edited:

RB7N

How would you rate our season so far /10?
7/10. A pretty high score when you consider the poor patch and that we currently 6th in the table, but despite that I'm finally looking forward to United games again.

Any surprises as to how you thought we'd do?
I had no illusions that Mou could rectify the last 3 years in a week or two, so that we struggled initially was no surprise.
However, Mou has always been great at building winning teams, but that has often come at a cost when it came to entertainment. And yet here we are, 6 months later and we are playing the best football in years.

Any disappointments?
Depay and Schneiderlin.

What are your expectations for the rest of the season?
After the recent weeks of good performances and results I'd be surprised if we don't make top 4. I'm also hoping for a cup win.

nick2004

First quarter 3/10
Second quarter 9/10

Our team has improved immensely. It remains to be seen if the improvement will last (I think it will).

We should definitely aim to win the Europa cup. We can do it if:

1. The revival or Martial and Miki continues, and Rashford also provides some goals as a sub.
2. Our defensive mode solidifies and works correctly when we need it (with or without Carrick).

VP

7/10

It was always going to take time to flush out the LVG and Moyes shit out of our football but we've managed to do it fairly quickly (apart from Fellaini who remains the annoying, floating turd refusing to leave). If it weren't for three freak results, we'd be a point behind Liverpool now. Only drawbacks are some of Mourinho's questionable decisions but even he seems to have become more sensible now (barring Fellaini). We're all set for a CL place and some cup runs before launching an assault on the title next season.

marlowe78

I'll give it a 6/10. After winning our first three games and hopes were lifted for a title run, things became quite a mess. There was the loss to City, the disastrous losses to Watford and Chelsea, and a painful run of draws. Rooney was kept in the starting lineup until he basically played himself out of it. Mkhitarian seemed to disappear from existence (although Jose now looks justified after recent games). At the same time, Mourinho had 2 incidents where he was sent to the stands and pressure mounted until we finally started winning.

I didn't think a title run was realistic, considering that we brought in several players (Ibra, Pogba, Mkhitarian, Bailly) who would need time to settle into the team and play key roles. However, I have felt that top 4 is a reasonable target and am disappointed that we're still on the outside looking in.

On the other hand, we are in good form now and we have some interesting fixtures coming up in the EL, League Cup, and FA Cup, so we can still come away with something. CL qualification is still a distinct possibility. Jose looks more composed on the touchline of late, so hopefully he has shaken off the issues of last season.

I thought we could've hit form sooner than this. I said during last season that we had a good squad then, it was just a matter of getting the talent out of players like Herrera and Rojo. We've since added a lot of new talent, so to not have a winning run until December is unfortunate.

Any disappointments?

I thought our young players could've been used more. Borthwick-Jackson is currently being wasted on loan when I thought he was good enough to at least be a bench player. Fosu-Mensah has hardly seen the pitch at all. To be fair to Jose, he has not neglected Martial or Rashford at all, who are getting plenty of chances.

Shaw still seems a long way from recovery, I am hoping that Jose works the same kind of masterwork with him as he did with Mkhitarian. I hoped that we would see Schneiderlin and Memphis establish some kind of a position in the team but both seem to be leaving.

We are within striking distance of top 4, so it would be really irritating to miss out on it. This can't happen, though, unless we start beating more top 4 opponents.

I would be happy to win the League Cup, but if (when) we beat Hull, I think Liverpool would beat us in the final. Klopp will be anxious to win his first trophy in England and I think the atmosphere that day will be perfect for his team's playing style.

Europa League is a very tough competition to win. Would be nice but I expect us to get knocked out at some point.

FA Cup I'm not that worried about, TBH. A defense of it is great but we at least won it for the first time in ages last season.

Last edited:

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's not been a perfect season so far, but we've been playing a lot better than last season, which was one target, and now we're starting to add results on top of that. I think we've seen plenty to be encouraged about going into the second half of the season, particularly if Mkhitaryan continues to play like he has been doing and Martial's performance against Boro is a sign of better things to come.

My main concerns are our reliance on Carrick and Zlatan, both of whom you'd expect to need a breather at some point. I'm also wary of losing Bailly to the AFCON. Sure, Rojo and Jones have done well in his absence already, but with our luck in recent years, now's the time they'll all pick up injuries. :( Hopefully I've just reversed jinxed us.

Overall I'll say it's been 7/10. The main negative is our league position, but for me that's secondary to undoing the damage of the past few seasons.

Mark_GrumpyLion

6/10. We should be higher, must be higher. But we're entertaining again, and it looks like the team is growing a spine.

I didn't expect such a shaky start. The run of draws and stupid losses really surprised me. Ibra was a positive surprise, didn't expect him to be this good. Herrera/Carrick/Pogba midfield is dope. The general consistency of our top 4 rivals is a surprise too.

Any disappointments?
In a way, some players (Memphis, Schneiderlin ect). A dire run with draws and losses. Struggling for a while in the EL. Not being in a CL place currently. 4-0 loss to Chelsea.

Fight, scratch & claw for top 4, which I think we can get depending on Spurs and Arsenal having their usual self-destruction. Get to one cup final. Do well in Europa.

rpg

At this point last season and the season before and also moyes season, I stopped watching live matches. Yes, 3 seasons in a row. But not this season. Thats my review.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
7/10

Very happy with recent events, and we look a solid side. But you get the feeling we could slip up at any time and be back to square one. Things are so tight at the top that one draw, bad game, whatever and we'd set ourselves back a month.

Overall, i'd give Jose huge credit for even getting us back up amongst it when we looked dead and buried only weeks ago. I look forward to games now, and our style of play is a hundred times better than anything we've seen for the last three years. We're a work in progress, but for the first time in a long time, there is some actual progress.

4th this season and i'm a happy man.

MichaelRed

7/10. I'd give us a 9/10 but referees have knocked two off. We'd probably have 7 or 8 more points if they could get even remotely close to doing their jobs.

Oneunited26

If we held onto all our games, 10 points better off competing for the title, giving us a 9/10, its a 7/10

Ban

Results wise 6/10. I hope our bad start won't be our undoing come the end of the season. Now we're making great strides, look like a proper team, good at the back if not great and more and more deadly in the attack. I enjoy watching United again and players really believe in Jose's methods it seems. Atmosphere seems to be great also among the team and I'm a satisfied man right now regarding our club.
Saying all that playing wise it's a 7/10, leaning to 8.
Along with performances we're finally picking up results too.

I had some fears we'll play defensive football but it was more that posts here and talk around filled my head with nonsense rather then me believing it. Nevertheless I'm still pleasantly surprised how good and attractive we are in the attack.

Any disappointments?
Our start and Morgan and Memphis. I hope one of them won't have a blinder in another club. :)

Just get top 4 through the league or EL. With EL it would be pretty sweet, a cup which we haven't won and a CL next season.
For me, I'd give our season 6/10 so far, we're only just getting going.

robinrooney

Started off well, then got lost a bit. Jose took some time to work out his best team. Bringing Carrick and Mykhitaryan in (and dropping Fellaini/Rooney) has transformed us. Those home draws against Stoke, Burnley, Arsenal and West Ham plus the last minute penalty against Everton might cost us. We'd be 2nd if it wasn't for those dropped points. Still in 3 cups and a chance of top 4.

On the whole, positive for the rest of the season.

7/10

Robertd0803

6.5 to 7 out of 10. The recent run has improved it and the signs are there we are moving in the right direction.

Any surprises on how you thought we'd do?
No. I half expected a rocky start but was quite happy until we played City. Im surprised the Rooney saga was handled quite well. Im surprised Zlatan has been as good as he has even allowing for the run where he missed all the sitters.
Rojo and Jones have been a huge surprise.
Any disappointments?
Didn't expect to be hammered by Watford to be fair. And the run of draws was just a killer for momentum and points considering that we should be at least 8 points better off. The referring decisions at times has been dreadful and cost us. And the City loss was a tough one to take, we were all over the place in the first half and should have got at least a draw from the second. Plus Bravo should have been sent off. We were robbed :mad:

Shaw has disappointed and I feel Smalling has been terrible. Memphis and Schneiderlin looking to leave is also a downer considering how badly their moves turned out.

To end in top 4 as high as possible while winning the Europa League and the EFL cup.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
7/10. Generally very happy, but we are 6th and the first half of the half season was inconsistent as feck results wise and starting with fellaini at the start of the season hurt us. Same with rooney. Thankfully mourinho fixed that.

Thought we would challenge for the title. Then thought top 4 was out of reach but we would win the cups. Who knows how we'll do.

Any disappointments?
Initial fellaini playing is the biggest as never in a million years is he made for a team like United. Watford, chelsea, feyenoord and fenerbache away games were horrendous performances and didnt even show the desire in them which is the bare minimum.

Hope is we get top 4, expectation is to build on recebt performances and just keep it going and progress as a team. Hopefully win a cup, though through either top 4 or europa league, we should make the CL next season. We are easily better then both spurs and arsenal, and IMO better then City in terms of performances and capabilities.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Blimey some of you lot are harsh. I'd say 8/10.

Ok on the pitch it's not been perfect, but it's been a damn sight better than the last three seasons and but for the run of unlucky draws Mourinho et al would be sitting in 2nd.

However off the pitch Jose has done wonders, particularly bearing in mind his less than ideal family circumstances. He's clearing out the dead wood, has revitalised a squad and staff bludgeoned by Moyes and Pep Van Gaal, and has handled the Rooney situation brilliantly.

7 on pitch, 9 off pitch so 8 overall.

SalfordRed1960

5/10 - Fully expect us to kick on from here, but expected Jose to have had a game plan and pretty much stick to it. He has done too many changes to enable consistency (though we are now starting to see a fairly consistent team selection). Still find subs a bit annoying. In addition his negativity in tactics at the beginning of the season made games bloody boring.

I expected us to be higher. We do not have a shit squad, and he made very good purchases, to make it better.

Any disappointments?

Early style, early attitude to Europa and lack of opportunity to TFM.

Top 2, League Cup, Retain FA Cup, and Europa League. I am greedy. No reason to think it is impossible, cup just requires luck of the draw.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
At this point last season and the season before and also moyes season, I stopped watching live matches. Yes, 3 seasons in a row. But not this season. Thats my review.
Exactly. We look like a football team. We actually play football a lot of the time during games.

It just looks like something is being built. There's purpose to our play and we have a manager that knows what he wants.

Unfortunately he also wants Fellaini for some reason

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
6/10, but we are performing above expectations for me.

Zlatan has done better than I expected, Pogba has settled quicker than I thought he would and Bailly/Mkhi have become integral parts of the side.

Enjoy watching us play and am a 'fan' of the team, not just Manchester United if that makes sense. Before I felt hollow when I was supporting the side because I didn't really like the XI players out on the pitch, they didn't give off a 'United' vibe but this is growing into a proper group/team of players and they're likeable.

That slow start has killed us in terms of position in the league, I just hope we haven't left ourselves too much to do because if we go through another slump - it will be curtains to top 4.

Regardless of what happens for the rest of the season, I am very optimistic for next season and that is all I wanted. Even if we finish outside top 4, I think we're really building a strong base and team spirit.. but if we finish top 4, it will really give us a big help in the transfer market for the summer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Blimey some of you lot are harsh. I'd say 8/10.

Ok on the pitch it's not been perfect, but it's been a damn sight better than the last three seasons and but for the run of unlucky draws Mourinho et al would be sitting in 2nd.

However off the pitch Jose has done wonders, particularly bearing in mind his less than ideal family circumstances. He's clearing out the dead wood, has revitalised a squad and staff bludgeoned by Moyes and Pep Van Gaal, and has handled the Rooney situation brilliantly.

7 on pitch, 9 off pitch so 8 overall.
That's what I'd agree with.

Some of you lot must be expecting miracles or seriously underestimating the mess he's had to unravel that LVG left behind. They players were all bereft of confidence and risk taking battered out of them. Mou himself said that it would take a while to undo what LVG did to that squad of players.

Mourinho really proving his worth now in my eyes, Should have been appointed 3 years ago

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Exactly. We look like a football team. We actually play football a lot of the time during games.

It just looks like something is being built. There's purpose to our play and we have a manager that knows what he wants.

Unfortunately he also wants Fellaini for some reason
the biggest thing I get from them now is a togetherness, a real never say die spirit like Fergie used to cultivate. Its coming again! :devil:

Dash247

Drawing 4 games in a row at Home vs Stoke, Burnley, Arsenal, and West Ham was and is the lowest and most frustrating point in the season for me. Winning in at least two of those games (Stoke & Burnley lets say) we could have been 3rd just behind Chelsea & Liverpool with 43 points. Apart from that we are playing pretty good football.

diarm

5.5/10 (4/10 for results - 7/10 for performances).

I thought we'd be less entertaining but more effective under Jose. Surprisingly it's been the other way round somewhat.

Any disappointments?

I really expected Darmian and Schneiderlin to flourish under Jose. Disappointed that it seems neither they nor Memphis are likely to reach the levels we hoped they might.

I'd like to see our attacking play continue to develop and us to be even more ruthless after going a goal up. If we can keep playing as we have been recently and not fall back into that trap of resting on a 1-0 lead I'll be happy.

I expect Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Shaw and Fosu-Mensah to continue to develop nicely, without the outrageous expectations some people seem to have of them never having a poor game, and I'd like to see either Blind being edged in as a future Carrick replacement, or us to focus on identifying and pursuing that player who can.

If we keep attacking, keep playing well and the other sides around us keep doing the same than so be it, I'll not be too disappointed. But I suspect Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will all have a rough spell and unless City strengthen, they aren't all that special. Can see us finishing 2nd behind Chelsea to be honest.