2017 Gold Cup aka Copa Oro

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That looked a foul though the player may have been looking for the contact and may have went down easily.

Update: Bedoya was definitely anticipating and went down quite easily.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
They have 3 forwards in now with no winger and no midfielder who can pass the ball and dictate play. I'm not surprised that they'll be playing long-ball football now, particularly since none of Dwyer, Agudelo, and Zardes will drop back to link up the midfield and attack.
Yeah, as soon as they get the ball they hoof it forward.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That was a hilarious MLS All-Star selection by the fans. Two wingers and one left back voted as the starting three in defense (I know Beasley and Zusi technically play fullback in the MLS but we all know they're basically wingers, always were and always will).
It isn't a starting 3 in defence. Its just a group of 11 players. The coach will pick CBs now who he'll use.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Then what the hell was that whole announcement for? Fans vote their XI but the coach makes his picks? Bizarre.
Fans get to pick 11 players and then the coach picks the remaining ones to fill out the team and I think Garber might pick two or something. The coach then picks the team he wants to play. Its just a way for fans to pick players to be in the team, not an actual starting XI who will play in that set up.

MrMarcello

Fans get to pick 11 players and then the coach picks the remaining ones to fill out the team and I think Garber might pick two or something. The coach then picks the team he wants to play. Its just a way for fans to pick players to be in the team, not an actual starting XI who will play in that set up.
The sooner MLS is ran by actual football people versus NFL, NBA, and NHL types the better off the league will be.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The sooner MLS is ran by actual football people versus NFL, NBA, and NHL types the better off the league will be.
Which won't happen for 100 years. The sports system is set up such that the MLS and football as a whole won't grow in the country in order to maintain the status quo.

MrMarcello

Which won't happen for 100 years. The sports system is set up such that the MLS and football as a whole won't grow in the country in order to maintain the status quo.
Have you ever heard of MLB, NFL, and the networks conspired to bring down the NASL back the late 70s?

I can't locate the article I read many years back but it was a good read.

NoPace

I'm probably a bit harsh on him since he is like the big name in the team sort of. Big name in England, thought he was too good for us and all that. He wasn't bad but he held onto the ball for too long at times without actually producing much with his dribbles and his acceleration didn't look great either. Don't get me wrong he should still be starting and he did play that really nice pass to Davies. A quicker striker than Cavallini would really improve them as well as that is a front 3 with the potential for quick transitions and dangerous counters.

Yea, I used to think Ricketts was like a sprinter just put on the field. Had no ball control at all but it doesn't look bad at Toronto. He has a real knack for being in the right place at the right time and coming up in big moments. If there is a loose ball in the box I'd always bet on Ricketts getting onto the end of it.

I didn't watch the next match, my tsn stream started showing UFC and it was late here so wasn't bothered to find a new stream. Hoping we have a decent chance to pick up some more points then.
Hoilett has a decent first touch, and we're so low on those that I think he'll keep playing. If we have to defend deep and play on the counter I could see throwing him up top and hoping he can get in behind. Cavallini did okay to draw fouls, but that allowed Guiana to kill our counters too easily.

Arfield is a level ahead of most of the team. A good low-Prem, high Champo level attacking CM. Would be nice if we had a younger, quicker player than Bernier who could still pass the ball as the 8. I thought Piette did okay. De Jong was good but crossed poorly.

Considering how poor Guiana were, I'm not that optimistic, apart from Davies, who obviously I now think will be the finest player in Canadian history. We got done with some simple 1-2s, benefitted from a shocking goalkeeping performance from the opponent and had a bizarrely poor stretch where we conceded 2 quickly with only Davies' pace (and Jackson-Hamel's handy dribbling and passing, is he always that composed?) ensuring the win.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Have you ever heard of MLB, NFL, and the networks conspired to bring down the NASL back the late 70s?

I can't locate the article I read many years back but it was a good read.
I'm not aware of that, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I bet that the only reason the MLS is surviving is because the owners know that there's lots of interest in football in the U.S. and Canada, and that's easy money for them.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Would be nice if we had a younger, quicker player than Bernier who could still pass the ball as the 8.
Osorio could have been that type of player, but Aron Winter misused him and ruined his development. :(
Jackson-Hamel's handy dribbling and passing, is he always that composed?
He always surprises me whenever I watch him. He has good movement, but I never expect him to be a solid dribbler. However, whenever, I've see him, he's always been a good dribbler. He can actually be a better forward up front for the Impact than Mancosu, but thankfully, Biello continues to use that donkey.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Is anyone going to watch the Martinique-Nicaragua match? I feel like this game might be quite entertaining as both teams would look to play some attacking football.

MrMarcello

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
For two teams of poor quality, this match has been quite exciting so far. It's been end-to-end football from the start.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I'm not aware of that, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I bet that the only reason the MLS is surviving is because the owners know that there's lots of interest in football in the U.S. and Canada, and that's easy money for them.
The NASL killed itself. The very thing that got it publicity (the big signings by the Cosmos) made it impossible for most of the other teams to compete or if they tried to stay fiscally in good shape. Franchises that saved the league in its early days (Rochester Lancers) were pushed aside.

The other major sports had little to fear from the NASL. TV money was not the because the fan base was not there yet.

Some blame FIFA for not rewarding the 1986 World Cup to the US and site some absurd plan by the Cosmos owner to have 26 of the worlds best players in the NASL in the season leading up to the World Cup(never would have happened the league could never afford it). Plus the US team would have been awful and it might have put fans off the game.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
After a dominant performance by Martinique, they beat Nicaragua 2-0 and go to the top of Group B.

The Martinique goals came from Kévin Parsemain and Steeven Langil (some might be familiar with Langil).

Eila

Didn't expect Martinique to win, tbh :D
Nicaragua is trash and the only reason they are there is because Guatemala is banned. Central America conveniently has 6 spots for the cup available, just to get rid of the two useless teams (Nicaragua and Belize).

will7285

2-1 Mexico.
Pretty decent game this so far with both teams getting chances.

MrMarcello

Why is Guatemala banned?

This ES v Mexico match is entertaining, end-to-end stuff. Shame the ES player didn't get his chip down just enough to beat the keeper.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Nicaragua is trash and the only reason they are there is because Guatemala is banned. Central America conveniently has 6 spots for the cup available, just to get rid of the two useless teams (Nicaragua and Belize).
Martinique is not gonna qualify though. Panama is stronger.