2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDeSchmikes

Rick Wilson squirms talking anti-Trump Super-PAC, The Lincoln Project

Love this. Reminds us who these members are of The Lincoln Project. Nice ads but terrible Republicans.
:lol: Brilliant

Trump, in a way, is the best thing to happen to the likes of Rick Wilson, neo-cons, warhawks etc. Because anything or anyone not Trump must be good, with the help of hashtag resistance, they get rewritten as the good guys. Much like how anything pre 2016 and post Trump is going be rewritten as pure utopia

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
how does that differ from how they do it now?
I am assuming it would do what the federal one does, which is minimize the power of major urban centers and grant more power to sparsely populated rural counties.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Isn't that simply a function of how the state senatorial district are designed (I.e. are they linked to population)
It really depends on how the districts are drawn up. Gerrymandering is done because it works. If the senate districts are drawn, or are are redrawn, effectively the R's can effectively own all statewide offices even if the popular vote favors the D candidate. Kinda like 2016.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
As obvious a gerrymandering concept as that Tex GOP proposal is, it's unlikely to become law. Any changes to the state constitution need a supermajority of both state houses to pass.

Its main significance is as yet one more demonstration of how willing the GOP is to pervert democracy to entrench its own power.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Its main significance is as yet one more demonstration of how willing the GOP is to pervert democracy to entrench its own power.
This is a party that lost a gubernatorial election and immediately changed the state law to remove lots of the governors powers before he had time to take office.

They wouldn’t recognize democracy if it punched them in the face.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is a party that lost a gubernatorial election and immediately changed the state law to remove lots of the governors powers before he had time to take office.

They wouldn’t recognize democracy if it punched them in the face.
Tell me about it, I live there. This directly led to the Election Day debacle and lack of extended lockdown here. The R’s in WI are straight up evil.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Tell me about it, I live there. This directly led to the Election Day debacle and lack of extended lockdown here. The R’s in WI are straight up evil.
Its curious that WI has been oddly trending R over the past few years. I would've thought the existence of a sizeable population center would've shifted things more towards the Dems.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Its curious that WI has been oddly trending R over the past few years. I would've thought the existence of a sizeable population center would've shifted things more towards the Dems.
This is a weird state. Madison and Milwaukee are super blue, but the rest of the state is rural and red or blue collar and red. It also a super duper white majority state. I have been horrified by the casual racist statements I have heard, mostly from the elderly. We have not been here long enough to comment on if there really is a slide to the right or if the bullshit mentioned above (the first thing the R’s stripped from the Gov was election powers) coupled with the usual R practices of voter disenfranchisement are skewing things.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is a weird state. Madison and Milwaukee are super blue, but the rest of the state is rural and red or blue collar and red. It also a super duper white majority state. I have been horrified by the casual racist statements I have heard, mostly from the elderly. We have not been here long enough to comment on if there really is a slide to the right or if the bullshit mentioned above (the first thing the R’s stripped from the Gov was election powers) coupled with the usual R practices of voter disenfranchisement are skewing things.
Yeah its troubling that a guy like Russ Feingold, who is a top legislator, can't get into a Senate job in a traditionally blue state.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Dems are leading the congressional ballot by about 8 points at the moment. In 2018 they won it by about 8 as well and wound up gaining 41 seats. Even picking up 20-30 seats this time would be a massive win.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I can see how replacing her will now become a Trump going forward.
I don’t know if a word like ‘goal’ was missing at the end here, but regardless I think you’ve created a new term:

‘We have to cross this flooded river.’ ‘Well, that’ll be a real Trump.’
’Driving to the store on this ice is going to be a huge Trump.’
‘I won’t evacuate for the hurricane even it’s going to be an absolute Trump!’

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Andy Slavit was in charge of Obamacare IIRC. Thank god his adminstration saved the world from Mitt Romney 2012, so that we everyone has the chance to vote for Mitt Romney in 2020 to save the world from Donald Trump.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'd imagine all those dairy farmers are more conservative than not.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'd imagine all those dairy farmers are more conservative than not.
Probably. Honestly, rural Wisconsin in the summer only differs from rural Alabama in that there is corn in the ground and not cotton. The gun culture here is right on par with what I saw in Bama. My coworkers (who lives in a rural county) neighbor runs an AR-15 modification business from his house and set up shooting range on his property (its a small farm). All his neighbors have sued him for noise and for the random bullet that flies over their heads. At the first council meeting the council all took time to thank that guy for his service (he is an ex-marine) and basically chided his neighbors for hampering their poor neighbor. Forget that he had no permits and was not zoned to have a shooting range. The police have told them they cannot do anything until someone gets hit by one of those bullets. This country is broken.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Andy Slavit was in charge of Obamacare IIRC. Thank god his adminstration saved the world from Mitt Romney 2012, so that we everyone has the chance to vote for Mitt Romney in 2020 to save the world from Donald Trump.
Unpopular opinion but I think Romney's first term in 2012 could have been better than Obama's second term.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Unpopular opinion but I think Romney's first term in 2012 could have been better than Obama's second term.
he had the same tax and healthcare policies as trump, more hawkish military policies, and a pretty hawkish immigration agenda (make life bad enough that they self-deport), and, as the vote blue crowd always tells us, would have replaced scalia.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
he had the same tax and healthcare policies as trump, more hawkish military policies, and a pretty hawkish immigration agenda (make life bad enough that they self-deport), and, as the vote blue crowd always tells us, would have replaced scalia.
He also saw the Russian threat manifesting before the annexation of Crimea, proposed green cards for foreign students graduating with a PhD from American universities and he couldn't have gone more hawkish than what Hildog pulled in Libya, leading to the birth of ISIS.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Obamacare was based on Romney-care passed in MA. I don't think Romney would have fiddled a lot with ACA too much. Even Republican governors now don't want medicaid expansion kicked off by ACA rolled back. Obama deported many people, maybe Romney would have deported a few more but don't think it would have gotten as bad as it did under Trump with border crisis. Obama was/is right wing when it comes to economic policy anyway so it basically comes down to Romney possibly starting a new war?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He also saw the Russian threat manifesting before the annexation of Crimea, proposed green cards for foreign students graduating with a PhD from American universities and he couldn't have gone more hawkish than what Hildog pulled in Libya, leading to the birth of ISIS.
NVM you like the hawkishness. Carry on.

Libya was before the election.

Obamacare was based on Romney-care passed in MA. I don't think Romney would have fiddled a lot with ACA too much. Even Republican governors now don't want medicaid expansion kicked off by ACA rolled back. Obama deported many people, maybe Romney would have deported a few more but don't think it would have gotten as bad as it did under Trump with border crisis. Obama was/is right wing when it comes to economic policy anyway so it basically comes down to Romney possibly starting a new war?
Yes but the gop had shown that destruction first is their thing. He might have supported aca earlier but in the primary he was running from his own record. And his donors -adelson, Kochs, hated it, just like Mercers, and that matters most.

2nd term Obama did his 3 most worthwhile things- Iran deal, Cuban visit, commute Chelsea Manning.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Obama's economics are considered fairly middle of the road by US standards, which neither Rs or Ds would consider right wing.

On the question of a Romney Presidency - taxes would've gone down, judges would've been more conservative, Russia would've been confronted more directly over Ukraine/Crimea, there would've been no movement from the old predatory health system to Obamacare (despite Romney's loose affiliation with a similar scheme in Mass), there would've likely been no Iran deal or pointless trip to hang out with Castro etc..

At the end of the day, Romney would've been a very liberal Republican President, but it would've still been some distance from where a pragmatic Dem President like Obama was on the political spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.