2021 American Civil War

The Firestarter

All kinds of possibilities when it comes to Guard & Reserve. Some are full-time be it AGR (active guard reserve) or a technician (civil servant tied to a military billet; dual hat). Some serve on a tour ranging from a few days to many months, some are deployed. Most are traditional weekend or once/twice per year types. For example, I've been an enlsited IMA reserve (we belong to the RegAF commands) for 20.5 of my 24.5 years but I'm often on some kind of active tour, 3-12 months at a time, and have accumulated nearly 12 more active duty years in addition to my initial entry 4 years RegAF.

Many officers in the Guard/Reserve hold professional careers outside service. For example, a wing vice commander I worked for back in 2001-03 was a retired commercial pilot (think Delta, if memory serves) turned big shot board member, and flew F-16s on his drill days. He later promoted from Col to Brig Gen to Maj Gen and retired. There are many enlisted and officers that are like me - manday whores we're called. Basically, we don't hold full-time work and just find short/long tours and travel the globe supporting this/that mission.
Interesting. Thanks for the overview.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I forgot to add that post 9/11 changed the Guard & Reserve role. Prior to that they were unanimously traditional weekend warriors, with some on local funding to help their local mission. But OCO missions and funding changed and strength requirements meant the guard and reserve was required to help fill the gaps.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
All kinds of possibilities when it comes to Guard & Reserve. Some are full-time be it AGR (active guard reserve) or a technician (civil servant tied to a military billet; dual hat). Some serve on a tour ranging from a few days to many months, some are deployed. Most are traditional weekend or once/twice per year types. For example, I've been an enlsited IMA reserve (we belong to the RegAF commands) for 20.5 of my 24.5 years but I'm often on some kind of active tour, 3-12 months at a time, and have accumulated nearly 12 more active duty years in addition to my initial entry 4 years RegAF.

Many officers in the Guard/Reserve hold professional careers outside service. For example, a wing vice commander I worked for back in 2001-03 was a retired commercial pilot (think Delta, if memory serves) turned big shot board member, and flew F-16s on his drill days. He later promoted from Col to Brig Gen to Maj Gen and retired. There are many enlisted and officers that are like me - manday whores we're called. Basically, we don't hold full-time work and just find short/long tours and travel the globe supporting this/that mission.
I almost joined the Guard in 2002. Applied to an intelligence unit but it was too much arsing about because I didn't have my citizenship. Think I dodged a bullet quite frankly.

MrMarcello

I almost joined the Guard in 2002. Applied to an intelligence unit but it was too much arsing about because I didn't have my citizenship. Think I dodged a bullet quite frankly.
The Nat Guard or Air Nat Guard?

Intel is the growing field from what I've seen, kinda wished I had crossed over in 2002 or thereabouts. At one point it was a two-year waiting list just to get in the technical training (Air Force side that is). Dunno what it is today.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The Nat Guard or Air Nat Guard?

Intel is the growing field from what I've seen, kinda wished I had crossed over in 2002 or thereabouts. At one point it was a two-year waiting list just to get in the technical training (Air Force side that is). Dunno what it is today.
It was a Nat Guard unit in Sacramento. They were very interested because of my background but said it was better to come back in a year. Man how different my life would be if I had done that!

The Firestarter

I forgot to add that post 9/11 changed the Guard & Reserve role. Prior to that they were unanimously traditional weekend warriors, with some on local funding to help their local mission. But OCO missions and funding changed and strength requirements meant the guard and reserve was required to help fill the gaps.
One question about using the regular non reserve military on US soil. Hypothetically, if heaven forbid an actual insurrection occurs on the 20th, and the guard force is seen as not sufficient to handle it, can the regular units be utilised for combat ops?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
One question about using the regular non reserve military on US soil. Hypothetically, if heaven forbid an actual insurrection occurs on the 20th, and the guard force is seen as not sufficient to handle it, can the regular units be utilised for combat ops?

It's very difficult and probably illegal. It won't happen.

MrMarcello

@Grinner summed it up. There's probably a few USCs that governs how regular forces can be employed/not used when it comes to domestic. I think the only regular force that is granted domestic policy is Delta. I know the investigative fields and special operators work alongside federal and state agencies but have limited to zero jurisdiction. Delta has more freedom from what limited knowledge I have.

The Firestarter

@Grinner summed it up. There's probably a few USCs that governs how regular forces can be employed/not used when it comes to domestic. I think the only regular force that is granted domestic policy is Delta. I know the investigative fields and special operators work alongside federal and state agencies but have limited to zero jurisdiction. Delta has more freedom from what limited knowledge I have.
So, even if civil war is kicking off, it would be down to weekend warriors to handle it until some laws are changed? I know I exaggerated, as you explained the composition of the force is different.

MrMarcello

So, even if civil war is kicking off, it would be down to weekend warriors to handle it until some laws are changed? I know I exaggerated, as you explained the composition of the force is different.
My understanding of the National Guard, which is of the Army Component so I know little of their stuff, is they belong the Governor first and foremost, and can be federally activated for war (and probably a few other purposes). So, whichever state has jurisdiction over D.C., which I'm guessing is Maryland, would be their decision on activating the NG. If shit got crazy I would think a few other bordering states would send in their NG. Then it becomes an ROE situation from there on. When was the last time the NG actually fired on US citizens? Kent State perhaps?

Foxbatt

My understanding of the National Guard, which is of the Army Component so I know little of their stuff, is they belong the Governor first and foremost, and can be federally activated for war (and probably a few other purposes). So, whichever state has jurisdiction over D.C., which I'm guessing is Maryland, would be their decision on activating the NG. If shit got crazy I would think a few other bordering states would send in their NG. Then it becomes an ROE situation from there on. When was the last time the NG actually fired on US citizens? Kent State perhaps?
I think it's the Federal Government that has jurisdiction over DC. DV not being a State. That was the problem on Wednesday. Maryland governor couldn't send it the NG to DC without Federal Government approval. Biden said he is going to push for statehood for DC.

MrMarcello

I think it's the Federal Government that has jurisdiction over DC. DV not being a State. That was the problem on Wednesday. Maryland governor couldn't send it the NG to DC without Federal Government approval. Biden said he is going to push for statehood for DC.
Ah, yeah I remember hearing about that now that you mention. Was Trump claiming he authorized when it was a joint effort from Milley, Pence, and Pelosi.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
1. The president/feds have jurisdiction over the DC guard
2.the issue on Wed was that MD and VA could not send in their guard forces without federal approval, which Trump would not do.
3. I think shots were fired during the LA riots.

MrMarcello

1. The president/feds have jurisdiction over the DC guard
2.the issue on Wed was that MD and VA could not send in their guard forces without federal approval, which Trump would not do.
3. I think shots were fired during the LA riots.
I don't think DC has a guard. I think that is where Maryland comes into play.

The Firestarter

My question was based on the assumption that when you are dealing with something like that, you need to crush it swiftly and with overwhelming force so no one can even remotely think they might have been successful. And the best units to do that would be those that train for combat every day.
But , on the other hand those units probably cannot even deploy that fast, at least not within hours anyway.

sport2793

The only way this happens is if the filibuster is abolished. The only way the filibuster is abolished is if the Dems can convince or bribe Joe Manchin to go along with it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The only way this happens is if the filibuster is abolished. The only way the filibuster is abolished is if the Dems can convince or bribe Joe Manchin to go along with it.
Maybe Wednesday helps here? Had DC been a state there would have been a rapid response to the insurrection instead of having to wait. Sure, DC would have had to wait for fed approval to enter the federal dome. But they could have cordoned of the zone and been minutes away when the call came.

Foxbatt

Ah, yeah I remember hearing about that now that you mention. Was Trump claiming he authorized when it was a joint effort from Milley, Pence, and Pelosi.
From what I heard it wasn't even Milley. I don't think the JCS is in the Chain of Command. It was The Army Secretary and the Maryland Governor who is a Republican. Yes most probably Pence and Pelosi called too.

MrMarcello

https://dc.ng.mil/About-Us/

I remember this from the BLM protests as Mayor Bowser was lamenting that Trump had called up the DC NG and she had no say in anything. Yet another reason for DC statehood.
Further reason once the Biden admin gets rolling a full blown investigation needs to begin. Go all Benghazi if need be. Keep calling in this congressman or that congresswoman, especially those that were live-tweeting and pulling the shenanigans that had them in the building on the 6th. Hammer them for months. Smash them in the media. Crush them in advertising. Let the people see those villains without their masks.

But the Dems will play nice probably. And the GOP will win the presidency in 2024. Rinse and repeat.

MrMarcello

From what I heard it wasn't even Milley. I don't think the JCS is in the Chain of Command. It was The Army Secretary and the Maryland Governor who is a Republican. Yes most probably Pence and Pelosi called too.
I heard Milley's name mentioned on CNN and MSNBC. Think it was he who got with Pence or vice versa and so forth. Think he also called out Trump.

Update: It was Miller who worked with Pence. Doesn't mention Milley's involvement. I had the wrong name.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/06/pen...st-for-national-guard-to-come-to-capitol.html

Update 2: Appears at least one Congressman was talking to JCS and SecArmy.
https://armedservices.house.gov/2021/1/smith-statement-on-capitol-campus-insurrection

Last edited:

sport2793

Maybe Wednesday helps here? Had DC been a state there would have been a rapid response to the insurrection instead of having to wait. Sure, DC would have had to wait for fed approval to enter the federal dome. But they could have cordoned of the zone and been minutes away when the call came.
I hope so.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's fecking pathetic seeing all these Trump enablers scurry like rats. From Alex Jones to Zuckerberg, Twitter to Boris and his Tory bandits, you all glorified Trump culture.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Alex Jones is as guilty as anyone of promoting the conspiracy theory mindset that has poisoned political discourse and directly led to these events. If we never heard from him again the world would be better for it.

Hopefully people start viewing his shit as the nasty, damaging propaganda it is rather as some fringe nonsense to be laughed at and dismissed. Mainstream companies and outlets should have distanced themselves from scumbags like Jones a long time ago and any who continue to promote his bullshit at this point should be excoriated. Including Joe fecking Rogan and the likes.

Foxbatt

I have a gut feeling that the Mayor of DC is not going to escape this fiasco. From all information available she also refused help before Wednesday when the military offered the Guards.
Yes the biggest blame should be on the Management or chief of the Capitol Police. He had assured senators and representatives that he can handle it. Honestly letting him resign is too good. He should have been sacked.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I have a gut feeling that the Mayor of DC is not going to escape this fiasco. From all information available she also refused help before Wednesday when the military offered the Guards.
Yes the biggest blame should be on the Management or chief of the Capitol Police. He had assured senators and representatives that he can handle it. Honestly letting him resign is too good. He should have been sacked.
She has absolutely zero jurisdiction over ever inch of ground this took place on. She could have had Master chief, the winged riders of Rohan, John Wick, and the clone army at her fingertips and would have been legally been able to do dick all to help. As it was she (or her police chief) had to wait an hour just to send in the MPD. If it comes out she delayed sending help than yeah, she, and her administration, are cupable.

Foxbatt

She has absolutely zero jurisdiction over ever inch of ground this took place on. She could have had Master chief, the winged riders of Rohan, John Wick, and the clone army at her fingertips and would have been legally been able to do dick all to help. As it was she (or her police chief) had to wait an hour just to send in the MPD. If it comes out she delayed sending help than yeah, she, and her administration, are cupable.
She was offered help the day before. She turned it down apart from asking for some guards as traffic controllers. This was the after affect of the summer policing issue.
The capitol police has the authority to call for reinforcement. Pentagon and FBI says they offered both DC police and Capitol Police assistance but they said they can handle it. It's only on Wednesday they called for help.

Wittmann45

On r/conspiracy, with those critical of Qanon, there seems to be a divide as to whether Qanon are lunatics who have been duped or whether they are a group connected to the government with an ultimate goal to either discredit right wing politics or even conspiracy theories or are being used as agitators in order to justify some more restricted government legislation.

So which is Alex Jones? Seems from the video he thinks they're lunatics but considering he sees conspiracies everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if he saw them as government actors.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
She was offered help the day before. She turned it down apart from asking for some guards as traffic controllers. This was the after affect of the summer policing issue.
The capitol police has the authority to call for reinforcement. Pentagon and FBI says they offered both DC police and Capitol Police assistance but they said they can handle it. It's only on Wednesday they called for help.
again, she does not control the capitol police. Any help given to her would have done no real good in this case as every force her administration commands can not enter the federal zone with being requested. I guess if she had extra support they would have been closer had the CPD requested her help, but that is about it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
...or intelligence :p