2021 Sheep Draft R1 - Himannv vs. BorisDeLeFora

With players at career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz

Himannv

Tactics

• 4-3-3
  • High energy pressing team
  • Medium block
  • Build up attacks and break down teams when opposition are behind the ball but also be more direct when the counter is on.

Attack
  • Francescoli occupies the defence and creates space for the others.
  • Rivaldo and Rummenigge make use of the space created by Francescoli and get into scoring positions or chance creation positions.
  • The two Rs switch flanks when it suits them, leading to more flexibility in attack. Both are comfortable playing on either side.

Midfield
  • Nice combination of high-energy off the ball and creativity on it.
  • Souness and Vieira support both attacks and defence.
  • Rijkaard runs the game when in possession, but Vieira and Souness also play a role in creating chances for the team.

Defence
  • Classic sweeper+stopper combo.
  • Vogts and Pavoni provide energy in the pressing game.
  • GOAT level keeper behind in Banks.
  • Best defender ever in Kohler.
  • In possession, Kohler and Krol both play a role in starting/building attacks from the deep.
  • Vogts and Pavoni step up to help the attack in possession.

Key players
  • Rivaldo - I think he's somewhat underrated by the draft community as a whole, but he's brilliant on the ball. At his peak, he creates chances, is an exceptional dribbler, and also scores goals. The following is an all touch compilation of him. You'd see him impact both flanks in this game. The only way Liverpool could deal with him was to hack him down.

BorisDeLeFora

Decision to go for players I've actually seen in a GOATfeast draft went well then.

Bit of a 4-1-3-1-1 going on there.

Defence will play a fluid line depending on the circumstances, with Desailly able to marshal a deep lying defense and Thiago Silva having the ability to cover in a higher line.

The tactic here is to press like madmen targeting Vogts and Kohler in particular, and release Mbappé as quickly as possible.

Keane/Gattuso/Seedorf/Rooney provide huge amounts of energy, defensive nous, and hatcheting. They will be backed up by Alonso who combines excellent positional and passing ability to release Mbappé or find Rooney's feet, with his hatcheting.

But even in a hatchet battle they are up against Rijkaard, Viera, Kohler, and fecking Souness.

Seedor and Keane will play as box to box midfielders trying to support the attackers, with Gattuso covering Zanetti moving out of defence with/for the ball.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
feck me but i can actually see boris side winning this against the all odds!

Šjor Bepo

Himan has a better side but in this specific match-up boris actually looks brilliant.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Himannv, the team is begging for a playmaker. Not as impressed as I expected to be.

Boris, I don't see the need for Gattuso in the team. Alonso doesn't need a sitter like Pirlo and Keane can always play there. Would much rather see a genuine ball player there behind the front 2.

Himannv

Himannv, the team is begging for a playmaker. Not as impressed as I expected to be.
This isn't a 4-2-3-1 where you'd have a dedicated AM so obviously the creativity will come from the wing forwards and the midfield 3.

Starting with the wing forwards, Rivaldo is not going to hug the touchline the whole game. In this role where he's switching positions with Kalle he'd often be in those inside left or inside right channels and create chances from there. This video illustrates it quite well I think:

It's a similar story with Kalle and he not only offers goals, grit, and workrate up front, but creativity in those inside channels.

Souness as well is a lot more creative than people give him credit for. Joga's video on him shows that he's actually very good on the ball, press resistant, and very good moving the ball quickly.

A lot of people forget how good a playmaker Vieira was as well. In addition to being a physical presence, his passing between the lines is top notch.

Rijkaard is meant to be the DLP in this setup. I don't want to share too many videos as people are unlikely to watch through that many.

So even if I compare it with the creativity in Boris's side, it matches up quite well.

Vieira vs Keane
Souness vs Gattuso
Rijkaard vs Alonso
Rivaldo vs Seedorf
Rummenigge vs Rooney

All are at a similar level or actually favours my side in some cases.

Himannv

Would be better if Kalle and Enzo were swapped. Somehow it feels a bit off.
In the games I watched of Enzo, I actually feel like he's a very good fit up front and giving that defence a torrid time. He's working on the opposition backline the entire game, constantly looking for spaces and physically challenging them as well. Really hard player to deal with up front I think.

@Joga Bonito made a really good post on it in a previous game so I just dug that up.

I'd day Enzo was always a #9.5 from what I've seen of him and the vids that I've made of him (mainly the 80s version, always more of a creative roaming forward as opposed to a #10 in the mould of a Laudrup). I reckon his 90s version must have obviously different.

Either way when he played up front, he wasn't really a pronounced false 9 or a pseudo centre forward but pretty much an excellent centre forward who had wily movement off the ball, deceptively dangerous aerial ability and most importantly was capable of 'working the oppositions defenders'.

I know I've posted this before but just in case if you didn't manage to give it a watch or for others.

Btw I completely agree with your sentiments, a false 9 or someone like Totti etc would have been a much of a muchness with Charlton and Rivaldo. Don't quite see that happening with Enzo though. Recall pming Anto in one of the older drafts and asking his thoughts on Enzo as a CF, as I hadn't watched much of him and he pretty much set it straight and allayed my doubts (pretty much the same as yours right now)
The post also included the following quotes, that add some more credence to it.

Craig Brown said:
“A player who gave the greatest individual performance I’ve ever seen. He played our entire back four on his own.
Sir Alex Ferguson said:
Enzo Francescoli was magnificent for them, playing up front on his own with endless resourcefulness and composure.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A promising battle midfield.
A lack of arrows from a design perspective.
Some unusual and interesting 1 to 1 battles
Two charming teams.

I know for which team I will vote this afternoon unless one of the 2 managers make me reconsider my understanding of this game, which is unlikely but possible.

I will comment more later.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That himannv midfield is some unit. Love how Rijkaard is the centrepiece and will get to unleash more of his box-to-box game.

BorisDeLeFora

Decision was mad to clog the midfield, had predicted a diamond in midfield tbh but with Rivaldo drifting inside it will basically be at times.

Himannv has the better team, so the tactics have to be cautious, granted, the squad I have ended up with probably points that way anyway, Felt trying to match 3v3 in midfield with Seedorf playing from the left would have left me in a difficult position, if you rank them individually Alonso and Gattuso would come in 5th and 6th. Could have been scope for Reizger in and Zanetti as RM mind.

However, Zanetti is the key to my team having a chance. I don't see Rivaldo having the interest to track him, so he would have the freedom to bomb on for 90 minutes, which he has the energy to do, and has the potential to take players on and commit defenders with his dribbling and runs from deep.

A lot of pressure on Rooney also, he needs to be able to find the space for Alonso to find him between the lines with vertical passes, and link up the play for Keane and Seedorf making runs from deep. I ideally he would drift toward the sides and bring a cm with him to an area out wide where they may not be comfortable, and leave a switch on to the opposite full back in space.

Tbh I think it's a tough ask for my side here, the front three is very good, I can see Thiago getting too emotional in a physical battle with Enzo and allowing space for Rummenigge in behind him and a goal coming from there.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Francescoli up front is fine, I think - given the specific description of his role here.

Plus - correct me if I'm wrong - he actually played as more of an actual striker/CF at times during his career, so it's not an unprecedented position for him even nominally (so to speak).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Another case of an actually very good team, well put together, getting hammered. The score doesn't reflect Boris' efforts at all, nor does it reflect a huge discrepancy in individual quality. But there is a discrepancy - and there you go.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
After watching hours of 80's Eredivisie's highlights, I have to say that I probably underrated Rijkaard's ball-playing ability (and I rated it very highly from the start). He was absolutely brilliant in that box-to-box role at Milan, of course, but he was pretty much Ajax's main creator through the middle, often playing almost as a 10 (albeit a very unconventional one) behind van Basten. Just as @Gio, I really like him getting a more central role in both phases of the game.

To be fair, it's not really that surprising when you look at the amount of goals that he had scored there, but I never quite looked into that part of his career before.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The defensive units are of similar quality so what makes the difference here is the offensive strategy.

Himmanv - My understanding is that Francescoli would be a kind of false 9 whose ball retention would act as a catalyst to free space for Kalle and Rivaldo

BorisDeLeFora - strategy whose priority was to win the battle midfield, very unlucky to play against a team comprising 3 robust defensive midfielders.. and players like Rivaldo and Francescoli whose retention ball is one of their key strengths. The central midfield has a limited offensive contribution for m taste despite Xabi Alonso whose long passing skills are superb. Now if the strategy is to have 4 defensive/central midfielders, then a player like Gattuso would be ideally dropped in favour of a more creative player: say Pires, Paul Ince or Bernado Silva.Paul Ince/Keane was an excellent duo, and this makes think that a player like Giggs has not been picked in this draft... Mbappe is an interesting case - I think his best role is to be deployed slightly on the wing in a 433. He was successful in a 442 with Monaco but in this system there were two lateral playmakers. I believe there should not be a hierarchy between Mbappe and Rooney, because I don't see the French leading the attack line.

I have voted for @Himannv - not because his team has more shiny names - but first and foremost his team has 3 offensive players who do not need a specific support to individually shine and make the difference in one way or the other; while @BorisDeLeFora has offensive players less self-reliant who would prefer a more creative support

Himannv

Himmanv - My understanding is that Francescoli would be a kind of false 9 whose ball retention would act as a catalyst to free space for Kalle and Rivaldo
I think he'd play more like a typical CF, occupying the defenders, but allowing the wide forwards to play off him and get in behind. That's my impression after watching some of the available material.

Himannv

@BorisDeLeFora good game, mate. I think the tactics you had would have been effective to deal with my midfield while leaving Alonso relatively free to pull the strings. Also you brought up a good point on Zanetti - Rivaldo will not track him too much. I think an upgrade on Mbappe, but also prettier formation graphics and more details on tactics. Good luck in your next game.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think his performance against Scotland has somehow managed to change his entire image, I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t a usual role for him and they had to play like that because Uruguay were a man down basically from the start? I’d still say that his best role is a supporting striker/number 10 (false 9 also wouldn’t be too bad).

Šjor Bepo

think he was more of a striker/attacking mid rather then f9/n10 from what i saw.....wasnt the most creative player but still a brilliant one.

GodShaveTheQueen

This isn't a 4-2-3-1 where you'd have a dedicated AM so obviously the creativity will come from the wing forwards and the midfield 3.
Sorry I couldn't respond during the match.

I didn't mean to say there are no viable play creators but I wouldn't say any of them add an x-factor playmaking wise. Vieira-Rijkaard-Souness seems a bit excess to needs off the ball. Rivaldo and Kalle are great options there not needing an upgrade. If you could add say a top notch number 8 to that team, it completely transforms it to another level.

On the contrary, even a Pirlo at the base could be awesome.

GodShaveTheQueen

Sorry I couldn't respond during the match.

I didn't mean to say there are no viable play creators but I wouldn't say any of them add an x-factor playmaking wise. Vieira-Rijkaard-Souness seems a bit excess to needs off the ball. Rivaldo and Kalle are great options there not needing an upgrade. If you could add say a top notch number 8 to that team, it completely transforms it to another level.

On the contrary, even a Pirlo at the base could be awesome.
Just to add to this as a late after thought, you have an excellent GOAT heavy defense as well. Which is why the midfield 3 looks even more overly protective off the ball. I would want to see one more oomph player in the middle there.

Himannv

Just to add to this as a late after thought, you have an excellent GOAT heavy defense as well. Which is why the midfield 3 looks even more overly protective off the ball. I would want to see one more oomph player in the middle there.
I did see Rijkaard as that sort of player from a playmaking perspective, while the other two are quite good with that aspect as well, but yeah, point taken - I'll see if I can tweak it a bit.

Rivaldo and Kalle are great options there not needing an upgrade.
I've got Boniek coming back in after injury as well. All reinforcement plans will depend on who gets injured.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
However, Zanetti is the key to my team having a chance. I don't see Rivaldo having the interest to track him, so he would have the freedom to bomb on for 90 minutes
Also you brought up a good point on Zanetti - Rivaldo will not track him too much.
In the few games I rewatched from Rivaldo in recent years, I found him remarkably hardworking against the ball. Definitely looked like a player with that "defensive conscience" to me, if you know what I mean. Not a final judgement, as I haven't really studied him or something. But it's an impression I'd like to share.