2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Draw (UEFA)

Ramos

Well, it's tomorrow. Only 13 nations qualify, so the draw could be very important for some teams.

55 teams divided into 10 groups of either 5 or 6 teams. Nations League finalists (Belgium, France, Italy and Spain) automatically go into a group of 5.

Group winners qualify. The 10 runners-up will be joined by the best 2 Nations League group winners that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. These 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths, playing two rounds of single-match play-offs (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), with the 3 path winners qualifying for the World Cup.

RedDevilRoshi

For Scotland what I’m hoping for:

Croatia
Slovakia
Scotland
Albania
Faroe Islands
San Marino

What I’m expecting us to get:

France
Switzerland
Scotland
Bosnia
Kazakhstan

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Some of the air miles for pot 5.

Luxembourg done well to get into pot 4 but still the one you'd most like as plenty of tricky teams.

Group of death (for top seed)

Germany
Poland
Norway
Bosnia
Kosovo
Malta

Group of life

Holland
Romania
Northern Ireland
Luxembourg
Andorra
San Marino

Ramos

Some of the air miles for pot 5.
Yeah, about that ... There's a whole bunch of restrictions in play once again, both political and in terms of travel distance.

• Prohibited clashes: For political reasons, matches between following pairs of teams are considered prohibited clashes, unable to be drawn into the same group: Kosovo / Bosnia, Kosovo / Serbia, Kosovo / Russia and Russia / Ukraine.
  • Winter venues:A maximum of two teams whose venues are identified as having high or medium risk of severe winter conditions can be placed in each group: Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia, Ukraine.
    • The two "hard winter venues" (Faroe Islands and Iceland) generally cannot host games in March or November, and therefore cannot be drawn together; the others shall play as few home matches as possible in March and November.
  • Excessive travel:A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:
    • Azerbaijan: with Iceland, Gibraltar, Portugal.
    • Iceland: with Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Israel.
    • Kazakhstan: with England, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'd love to see qualifying where everyone plays 10 random terms and the teams with best record go through. Groups are dull

Cloud7

How does Kazakhstan fall into Uefa? Is there some geographical landmark by which they fit in?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How does Kazakhstan fall into Uefa? Is there some geographical landmark by which they fit in?
Confederations don't strictly follow geographical boundaries. Israel and Kazakhstan are European members but I wouldn't call them European countries.

Australia is in the Asian confederation but I wouldn't call it an Asian country.

Traub

I thought the only silver lining of this pandemic is it would somehow feck up the Qatar World Cup

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I want that too.

If England can better Greece, they should get the runner up spot.
I live now in NYC but i always wanted Greece, Cyprus or Malta in our draws for 5-7 amazing days there (Football with vacation is :drool:).......Malta has finally happened in September 2017 and it was a amazing football away trip (apart from the match :lol:)......if possible then i would travel to our away matches in Greece or Cyprus.

Like said if we get Gibraltar then the match is likely in Faro and then it would be surely another amazing away trip :)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'd love to see qualifying where everyone plays 10 random terms and the teams with best record go through. Groups are dull
World cup a bit more interesting at least with just group winners going through and 2nds go into play off which will only have 3 winners.

Uefa been more clever this time doing 10 groups as before with 8 or 9 likes of Holland and Italy have been pot 2 teams so drawn with a France or Spain they've missed out on last world cup finishing 2nd or below so there won't be that danger for them this time given they're both in pot 1.

diarm

I can tell you what the Ireland draw is going to be already in case anyone has stuff to do. Denmark, Wales and either Georgia or Bulgaria. Guaranteed.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Group winners qualify. The 10 runners-up will be joined by the best 2 Nations League group winners that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. These 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths, playing two rounds of single-match play-offs (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), with the 3 path winners qualifying for the World Cup.
Is anyone able to read that and grasp it first time or is just me whose eyes glaze over halfway through?

Raredaredevil

Seems so recently that Russia 2018 just only happened yet we have Qatar 2022 just in almost one and a half year time. I was in Doha and I think its going to be a memorable World Cup there, very friendly and hospitable locals. Didn't know that the best two UEFA Nations League winners would qualify automatically, makes it all that competition all the more exclusive.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Is anyone able to read that and grasp it first time or is just me whose eyes glaze over halfway through?
10 through.

Then another 3 groups of 4 play a mini tournament and the 3 winners go through.

I think.

I think teams like Wales will get a 2nd chance if don't auto qualify through their group given their Nations League performances.

(This chat is absolute sh!te)

Chipper

Adulterer.
I actually copy-pasted that part, so not my fault.
Ha! Don't worry, I wasn't blaming you, just the people who came up with it. I'm sure it makes sense but it all seems so complicated when written down like that.

diarm

Kane vs Lewandowski - I'd love to see Haaland drawn into that group as well!

Hester_manc

It doesnt look too bad for Denmark. Austria from pot 2 is a good draw, while Scotland is about the same level as Austria.