• Poll closed .

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Enigma_87:

Sjor Bepo:

Enigma_87 Tactics:

Formation: 4-3-3
Style:
Team build around Platini, balanced, press in our half, counter attack and move the ball quickly as possible through the lines. Platini pulling the strings and exploiting Gullit/Stoichkov pace on the wings.

Defence:
On goal is Dino Zoff, Italy greatest keeper after Buffon and it's not like there isn't competition for that title. In front of him we have a classic sweeper/stopper combo with Rio playing alongside Godin. The big change is the introduction of Breitner and Bergomi on the wings. Bergomi will be more of a balanced full back who can also provide vital cover in the defensive end with his physical frame considering the opposition will field a two striker system. On the left we have Breitner who will be in his left back, young incarnation. A true playmaker from the flank he is also renown with his powerful strike which provides us with an extra goalscoring option as well as the ability to both shore the midfield, help with the build up but also be a presence on the flank and double up on the opposition right flank.

Midfield:
Shielding the defence is on of the best at the job - Desailly who will also mind the opposition best player in Baggio when occupying his zone. Pirri comes off to allow Tardelli form a known partnership with Platini and doing most of the dirty work. Platini is in his natural role as main playmaker of the team and linking up midfield and attack, whilst also being a main goalscoring threat to the opposition line. The mechanics in midfield aren't any different but it's rather proven combo and personality change.

Attack:
A mouthwatering duo on the flanks in Gullit and Stoichkov will stretch the defence, whilst also being a threat cutting in and finishing chances themselves. Both are also great creativity outlets to each other as Stoichkov crossing would be a very viable route to goal with Spencer and Gullit in the box. Spencer is playing his natural CF role and occupying the opposition CB's.

Sjor Bepo Tactics:

Vintage Sjorbanovsky - high line, high press, high intensitity

Going balls deep and hope it works against the same old boring 4231 from missionary Enigma.
Was thinking should i go counter or full lobanovsky and its impossible for me to go against what i believe because if i wont go balls deep against old school keeper and a DM that is crap on the ball even without a press then when will i go?
Idea would be to set up traps on Desailly, open lanes for him to get on the ball and then press like hell. Ferdinand and Breitner are great against the press, Bergomi and Godin not so much but even if they all are, Desailly and Zoff alone give you a chance.

and their are against an elite pressing machine IMO as every player in the team is suited to a high line and high press and not only that they are suited, they are immense at it.
Even the old school keeper in Beara is well knows for his proactive tendencies which you can clearly see in the only full game we have from him as it backs the written evidence which often isnt the case.

Very quick off the line, willing to play it from the back either with passing or quick throws.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Šjor Bepo Do you think Stam's passing ability is good enough for a high-line high-press tactic? If so, why?
high line and high press doesnt mean possession but to answer your question, its more then good enough as he spent majority of his career that kept the ball and were out there to outplay the team. He doesnt have the range probably but for that i have Virg next to him.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
high line and high press doesnt mean possession but to answer your question, its more then good enough as he spent majority of his career that kept the ball and were out there to outplay the team. He doesnt have the range probably but for that i have Virg next to him.
Fair enough. I generally interpret high-line high-press as high ish possession because it seems almost impossible to maintain a high-press if the opposition has a lot of the ball..

Šjor Bepo

Fair enough. I generally interpret high-line high-press as high ish possession because it seems almost impossible to maintain a high-press if the opposition has a lot of the ball..
think of klopp

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
think of klopp
The Klopp reference makes sense but Pool often have loads of the ball. That said that great game against City a few years ago I think Pool had just under 50% possession so it can work in a one off game. Just something that wouldn't be viable on regular basis in a league.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I imagine though with Enigma's juggernaut playing a counter-attacking style and with Sjor's ball-playing ability at the back through Van Dijk, Lizarazu, Gemmell and especially Wilkins, they'll see a lot of the ball on the half-way line.

Šjor Bepo

The Klopp reference makes sense but Pool often have loads of the ball. That said that great game against City a few years ago I think Pool had just under 50% possession so it can work in a one off game. Just something that wouldn't be viable on regular basis in a league.
im fine with having the ball, my point is when i have it it wont be possession based but a fast, direct football like Klopp at his best played.
Using Klopp as example as its much easier for people to understand.

Šjor Bepo

plan would be to lure the opposition into playing the ball towards Desailly and then press like mad and therefor either directly win the ball via tackle or interception.....if not, at least force them backwards where keeper plays as massive role and where Zoff would most likely struggle therefor they would go long.

if and when enigma team bypasses my press then the plan would be to drop back quickly and wait for a counter.
whole team is designed to play that high intensity game so from my perspective, it should work.

on the offensive front id have elkjaer more on the right side(contrary to formation pic) as i see a big opportunity around Breitner when he needs to defend and id fancy Elkjaer vs Godin in a more open game(me on a counter or after winning the ball high up)

Enigma_87

You know who
plan would be to lure the opposition into playing the ball towards Desailly and then press like mad and therefor either directly win the ball via tackle or interception.....if not, at least force them backwards where keeper plays as massive role and where Zoff would most likely struggle therefor they would go long.

if and when enigma team bypasses my press then the plan would be to drop back quickly and wait for a counter.
whole team is designed to play that high intensity game so from my perspective, it should work.

on the offensive front id have elkjaer more on the right side(contrary to formation pic) as i see a big opportunity around Breitner when he needs to defend and id fancy Elkjaer vs Godin in a more open game(me on a counter or after winning the ball high up)
Tbh I don’t expect Desailly to be doing much ball carrying. He’s there to protect the back four and given we are up against two striker system where most of the threat is expected from a trident in the middle of Desailly/ Godin/ Rio provides the needed cover at the back when we’re defending. Bergomi is competent on the ball and can keep it simple resisting the press, whilst Rio and Breitner naturally can cope with it.

Also Platini naturally drops deep when we need to carry the ball out of the defence and his passing range is great to break the lines.

given the opponent will employ a high press it means however there will be space behind where Stoichkov/Gullit and Spencer will definitely enjoy.

now Gemmell, left back by trade, is up against Stoichkov’s blistering pace, which is a mismatch in transition in our favor.

On opposite side I rate Lizarazu but Gullit’s sheer pace, strength and frame will make it again hard for him to keep up in transition.

Playing on counter suits our team so in this particular matchup I have no issue sticking to that plan.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Tbh I don’t expect Desailly to be doing much ball carrying. He’s there to protect the back four and given we are up against two striker system where most of the threat is expected from a trident in the middle of Desailly/ Godin/ Desailly provides the needed cover at the back when we’re defending. Bergomi is competent on the ball and can keep it simple resisting the press, whilst Rio and Breitner naturally can cope with it.

Also Platini naturally drops deep when we need to carry the ball out of the defence and his passing range is great to break the lines.

given the opponent will employ a high press it means however there will be space behind where Stoichkov/Gullit and Spencer will definitely enjoy.

now Gemmell, left back by trade, is up against Stoichkov’s blistering pace, which is a mismatch in transition in our favor.

On opposite side I rate Lizarazu but Gullit’s sheer pace, strength and frame will make it again hard for him to keep up in transition.

Playing on counter suits our team so in this particular matchup I have no issue sticking to that plan.
he doesnt need to carry the ball, just needs to be on it and as a deepest midfielder if he is "open" he would get it. Dont rate that much Godin and Bergomi ability under pressure, Rio and Breitner are great.

the formation looks narrow but there would be plenty of width with fullbacks pushing up and almost all midfielders capable of drifting wide and actually performing there, not to mention elkjaer

if platini needs to drop deep then my plan is working nicely.

agreed on the danger your team possesses but its a high risk high reward game

gemmell started as a right winger and covered rightback slot pretty often so he should be more then fine there, with that in mind stoichkov can get better of pretty much any fullback ever. My safety net is that Stam is covering.
Likewise for other side with Van Dijk.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think Sjor's entire team is well suited to Klopp-style possession, including Stam (all the more so considering who's around him.)

Funnily, my impressions on the pressing resistance of Enigma's defensive players are pretty much opposite to Sjor's. I've seen Breitner struggle heavily under high pressure (vs Ajax '73), and I was rather impressed with Bergomi's ability to handle tight situations. I also liked at least some of the stuff I've seen from Desailly on the ball, although that high pressure would still be a different situation. But all of this is based on rather few impressions, so I might be wrong on each count.

Šjor Bepo

I think Sjor's entire team is well suited to Klopp-style possession, including Stam (all the more so considering who's around him.)

Funnily, my impressions on the pressing resistance of Enigma's defensive players are pretty much opposite to Sjor's. I've seen Breitner struggle heavily under high pressure (vs Ajax '73), and I was rather impressed with Bergomi's ability to handle tight situations. I also liked at least some of the stuff I've seen from Desailly on the ball, although that high pressure would still be a different situation. But all of this is based on rather few impressions, so I might be wrong on each count.
assumed breitner would be great given his midfield credentials and from memory he was classy on the ball for germany from lb position...

bergomi i have as solid one, nowhere near the elites(lahm, brazilians, zanetti, evra etc.) but not bad as i dont know, gentile.

on desailly i have a strong opinion that he was awful on the ball, very clumsy, not overly agile etc. so peraonally id use him only at CB for the way i love to build teams.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
assumed breitner would be great given his midfield credentials and from memory he was classy on the ball for germany from lb position...
I certainly wouldn't dismiss Breitner based on that encounter alone (the 1st leg, really). Organized high pressing was rare, especially on Ajax's level, so altogether there's very little precedent in the material I've seen. And fair to say he had the technical tools to do better.
bergomi i have as solid one, nowhere near the elites(lahm, brazilians, zanetti, evra etc.) but not bad as i dont know, gentile.
Sure, the great technical FBs are on another level. I just think he was classy & smart enough not to be a weak link against pressing. Although, as I said, this is just from my limited impressions.
on desailly i have a strong opinion that he was awful on the ball, very clumsy, not overly agile etc. so peraonally id use him only at CB for the way i love to build teams.
Fair enough, you may well be right. (I'd play Desailly at CB as well, and actually prefer the same with Bergomi.)

Šjor Bepo

Sure, the great technical FBs are on another level. I just think he was classy & smart enough not to be a weak link against pressing. Although, as I said, this is just from my limited impression
if he was surrounded with great on the ball players i wouldnt even mentioned but when you have 2 very problematic players(gk and dm) then to have any chance IMO you need elite around it

its why players like Evra gets screwed and i hate that twat, why would anyone pick Evra(master of under pressure play and great ball carrier from the defensive third), when you can just go for Bergomi/Thuram etc. and get a much better defender and you can get away with "ohh he was good on the ball" which pretty much pushes player like Evra(WC player in his time) into nothingness.
Im aware Thuram and Bergomi were better fullbacks but you get the point hopefully.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
if he was surrounded with great on the ball players i wouldnt even mentioned but when you have 2 very problematic players(gk and dm) then to have any chance IMO you need elite around it

its why players like Evra gets screwed and i hate that twat, why would anyone pick Evra(master of under pressure play and great ball carrier from the defensive third), when you can just go for Bergomi/Thuram etc. and get a much better defender and you can get away with "ohh he was good on the ball" which pretty much pushes player like Evra(WC player in his time) into nothingness.
Im aware Thuram and Bergomi were better fullbacks but you get the point hopefully.
Yeah, I get it, and it's a reasonable POV. I just think I also rate Beppe's ability on the ball a tad higher than you do, which may or may not be justified.

But all of this is why I'd prefer him at CB, like in that Beam team. My impression is that his traits may fit the modern CB role to a T, even if he was a man-marking defender in his day.

Enigma_87

You know who

I don’t think Bergomi is bad on the ball or someone you can attack even in a high press, so whilst he gets plaudits for his defensive game his ability on the ball is pretty solid if you ask me.

He keeps it simple under pressure, can trap the ball and use his frame, quick one two to get the attacker of him. His head is high and usually his awareness is pretty good.

actually against Denmark in that example usually it’s his team mate that fails to get the one touch play right.

Bergomi is one of the better crossers too and racked some quality assists. Eva on the other hand is better overlapped and pure presence in attack but when it comes to crossing for example he can be very very frustrating either over hitting it or never passing the first man.

Enigma_87

You know who
As for Desailly, I’m not also sure that he’s as bad as Bepo is making out to be.
He’s again someone who keeps it simple when pressured and also passes to the nearest teammate when he recoups possession.
he had a fair share of brilliant performances against pressing sides like Barca’s dream team and generally is solid due to his big frame in terms of keeping the ball and opting for the safe pass.

Now I get what Bepo means when he’s in iso but when he has passing options and lanes around him I don’t think it’s much of an issue and we’re not playing him as a DLP or someone who will take the ball out of defence.

Šjor Bepo

As for Desailly, I’m not also sure that he’s as bad as Bepo is making out to be.
He’s again someone who keeps it simple when pressured and also passes to the nearest teammate when he recoups possession.
he had a fair share of brilliant performances against pressing sides like Barca’s dream team and generally is solid due to his big frame in terms of keeping the ball and opting for the safe pass.

Now I get what Bepo means when he’s in iso but when he has passing options and lanes around him I don’t think it’s much of an issue and we’re not playing him as a DLP or someone who will take the ball out of defence.
its a 2 minute match compilation and 30 second match compilation....you can make McTominay look like Verratti if you wanted.

as for bergomi, i said multiple times that he is solid on the ball and that he isnt an issue.

Enigma_87

You know who
its a 2 minute match compilation and 30 second match compilation....you can make McTominay look like Verratti if you wanted.

as for bergomi, i said multiple times that he is solid on the ball and that he isnt an issue.
I have to look into a bit more on Desailly but haven't really noticed being issue when pressed. Of course heavy press in the early 90's was not that common, so there isn't really a big excerpt.

Anyways gg @Šjor Bepo very solid team considering the early sheep issues !