2024 U.S. Elections

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
For the Arab/Muslim community this single issue is extremely important that a lot of us can't just overlook it. Just like the person in that video said I've also always been against being a single issue voter but this is just too much.

Not to mention as someone who leans heavily left I also feel slighted by the Dems kind of forcing Biden on us and not allowing debates etc.
Yet you're able to overlook Trump's anti Muslim rhetoric and actions last time he was President?

Are you and your community not going to vote and risk handing him the presidency or are you going to throw your votes away on third party loons?

I'm pretty sure none of you will vote Trump. I think you have to take the L this time, hold your nose and vote for the least worse option.

Rajma

That's the way I feel, I can't morally justify voting for Biden after this issue.
Problem is if you don’t vote for Biden, there’s non-zero chance it could be the last vote you’ll cast in a while. Autocrats don’t really do elections.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yet you're able to overlook Trump's anti Muslim rhetoric and actions last time he was President?

Are you and your community not going to vote and risk handing him the presidency or are you going to throw your votes away on third party loons?

I'm pretty sure none of you will vote Trump. I think you have to take the L this time, hold your nose and vote for the least worse option.
I've seen a small number of muslim people say they will unironically vote Trump and it's always shocking to me. I'll be moving to NY in July so my vote wouldn't really change anything and thats why I feel comfortable holding my vote over a moral stance this time.

Dr. Dwayne

I've seen a small number of muslim people say they will unironically vote Trump and it's always shocking to me. I'll be moving to NY in July so my vote wouldn't really change anything and thats why I feel comfortable holding my vote over a moral stance this time.
Sorry mate, people believing their vote won't have an impact is the first pillar that falls. This election every vote that is not for Trump is vitally important. It might not alter who gets what seat, etc but the popular vote for President needs to clearly show he is not wanted by the majority of voters.

MarylandMUFan

Sorry mate, people believing their vote won't have an impact is the first pillar that falls. This election every vote that is not for Trump is vitally important. It might not alter who gets what seat, etc but the popular vote for President needs to clearly show he is not wanted by the majority of voters.
As well as the importance for voting for your local representatives. The far right has made massive strides to load up school boards, local judges and other elected positions with far right nutters. That needs to stop.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
How am I expected to reconcile voting for someone who is supporting the murder of Palestenians? Why is US prosperity more important than Palestenians human lives? It's always easy for the majority to tell a minority in a country "just put up with it and vote".

Suv666

The entitlement is insane. Well the other guy is just as bad so sit down silly boy and do what you’re told, you’re getting bombed either way.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You take the fecking L.
He can't, he's Canadian.

I likely won't either as I'm a middle class white male.

You know who will? Millions of immigrants, almost all who are minorities and from impoverished backgrounds, tens of millions of women who will lose access to basic reproductive healthcare, millions of people in poverty who will lose what little social safety net this country has, its about marginalized communities already under siege....and so on.

This is not about just one group and the righteous, and proper, anger they have towards an administration that has seemingly abandoned those like them. It is about what the future looks like not just for the groups above, but for them! Do you honestly think that a Trump administration will not target the Muslim and Palestinian communities?

This is the danger of the myopia of a single issue. On that issue, Gaza, Biden deserves to lose reelection. But on almost every other topic, including what the future of Palestinians (in Palestine and in the US) looks like, it can not be argued that a Trump America is far, far worse.

Mike Smalling

The entitlement is insane. Well the other guy is just as bad so sit down silly boy and do what you’re told, you’re getting bombed either way.
I think the point is that the other guy is far, far worse - not ‘just as bad’. But in my experience this won’t sway anyone. People that blame Biden for the death of their people are unlikely to respond to a lesser evil argument.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I think the point is that the other guy is far, far worse - not ‘just as bad’. But in my experience this won’t sway anyone. People that blame Biden for the death of their people are unlikely to respond to a lesser evil argument.
Why can't the justice system take care of the Trump issue? The US is failing on so many levels that you can't blame the voters for all its failings.

Mike Smalling

Why can't the justice system take care of the Trump issue? The US is failing on so many levels that you can't blame the voters for all its failings.
True. If the country had a sensible election system the guy would never have been president in the first place. And he arguably should have been in jail long before he ever started campaigning. But as it is right now, voters are still gonna be left with the choice between him and Biden. I know what I’d pick, but I’m done trying to convince anyone on here.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
You know who will? Millions of immigrants, almost all who are minorities and from impoverished backgrounds, tens of millions of women who will lose access to basic reproductive healthcare, millions of people in poverty who will lose what little social safety net this country has, its about marginalized communities already under siege....and so on.

This is not about just one group and the righteous, and proper, anger they have towards an administration that has seemingly abandoned those like them. It is about what the future looks like not just for the groups above, but for them! Do you honestly think that a Trump administration will not target the Muslim and Palestinian communities?

This is the danger of the myopia of a single issue. On that issue, Gaza, Biden deserves to lose reelection. But on almost every other topic, including what the future of Palestinians (in Palestine and in the US) looks like, it can not be argued that a Trump America is far, far worse.
I think it would be a better use of your time (and the Biden campaign time ,and the Democrats' time) to convince people who don't vehemently disagree with him on Gaza to vote for him. Those people represent the majority of the country. Many of them are probably disagreeing with him over things that are easy to refute or clarify.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It is taking care of him, it's just that the process to get to a grand jury took seemingly interminable steps in all of cases against him. Some of those steps were warranted due to the complexity of the cases, some were due to the DoJ being reticent to pull the trigger. As it stands right now, maybe one case will go to trial before the election.

In this case, if Trump wins the election, the voters will most certainly hold some of the blame as there is no uncertainty as to how a second Trump term will unfold; we've seen it before & the first term will be quaint vs. the second. I can give somewhat of a pass to the voters in 2016 who felt Hillary was a poor candidate & spoiled their vote or didn't vote, but that was an election between two people. 2024 is going to be two ideologies pitted against one another. It transcends the two candidates. We've never been in a situation like this before.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think it would be a better use of your time (and the Biden campaign time ,and the Democrats' time) to convince people who don't vehemently disagree with him on Gaza to vote for him. Those people represent the majority of the country. Many of them are probably disagreeing with him over things that are easy to refute or clarify.
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just have a discussion. At the end of the day everyone will make their own choices based on their own selfish, myopic view in that moment. That is not a shot at anyone, it is a truth for everyone, the only difference is how selfish and how myopic we each are.

Precaution

I live in Louisiana but more of a left part in New Orleans but you still get many loons raging about Biden and the economy at work completely forgetting this state has been red for years and run into the ground by the likes of Bill Cassidy /John Kennedy / Steve Scalise / Clay Higgens who are all wacos and the debate still goes on about Biden not knowing where he is and kiddy kissing and being corrupt to the core whilst unironically I guess still championing Trump who is just as guilty.

Infact I was in a bar the other day where the majority of people would still vote for Trump if he was behind bars in jail etc, they laughed about it and said yeah, he'll turn the country around because gas here is now $2.80 instead of $1.50 which is about as stupid reasoning you can get but hey it's Louisiana.

ManUtd1999

I live in Louisiana but more of a left part in New Orleans but you still get many loons raging about Biden and the economy at work completely forgetting this state has been red for years and run into the ground by the likes of Bill Cassidy /John Kennedy / Steve Scalise / Clay Higgens who are all wacos and the debate still goes on about Biden not knowing where he is and kiddy kissing and being corrupt to the core whilst unironically I guess still championing Trump who is just as guilty.

Infact I was in a bar the other day where the majority of people would still vote for Trump if he was behind bars in jail etc, they laughed about it and said yeah, he'll turn the country around because gas here is now $2.80 instead of $1.50 which is about as stupid reasoning you can get but hey it's Louisiana.
Gas prices were so low when Obama was president, but that didn’t matter. I remember paying something like $1.5 per gallon in 2012 or so.

In the end, people in rural areas want to vote for Trump, and they would do that even if gas is free. That’s it. There is nothing that you can do to people who would for a convicted person. Nothing. It’s beyond gas prices or grocery prices. Far far beyond.

45% of voters are not reachable!

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If Trump wins(which i still don't think will happen), all of the republican voters will automatically say that the economy is doing great on January 20th, 2025, much like the economy went from 30% unemployment or whatever(Trumps claim) to next to zero, on January 20th, 2017.

These are not serious people we are dealing with here, but their votes count just as much, all the same.

ManUtd1999

If Trump wins(which i still don't think will happen), all of the republican voters will automatically say that the economy is doing great on January 20th, 2025, much like the economy went from 30% unemployment or whatever(Trumps claim) to next to zero, on January 20th, 2017.

These are not serious people we are dealing with here, but their votes count just as much, all the same.
Bingo.

Watch this:

This was the moment, March 2017, when the media started to talk about how great the economy was doing. It was the same media that kept talking about "economic anxiety" throughout the 2015-16 election cycle. It's not just the GOP voters, it's also the media.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bingo.

Watch this:

This was the moment, March 2017, when the media started to talk about how great the economy was doing. It was the same media that kept talking about "economic anxiety" throughout the 2015-16 election cycle. It's not just the GOP voters, it's also the media.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ManUtd1999

I remember that moment, partly because I'm an economist by training. I was stunned not by Sean Spicer or the Trumpists, but how the journalists laughed at it as if it was funny. To this day, this moment symbolizes for me the whole narrative of "greatest economy in history." CNN moved from interviewing people in diners across the midwest to talking about the great economy, from economic anxiety to the fall in black unemployment (which was falling for years before Trump took office, but no one mentioned that), from gas prices are too high under Obama to how low they were under Trump, etc.

Here is a graph with gas prices (national average):
https://www.creditdonkey.com/gas-price-history.html

2015: $2.45
2016: $2.14
2017: $2.41
2018: $2.74
2019: $2.64

If anything, 2015 and 2016 had lower prices than 2017-19 (Trump, before Covid).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I remember that moment, partly because I'm an economist by training. I was stunned not by Sean Spicer or the Trumpists, but how the journalists laughed at it as if it was funny. To this day, this moment symbolizes for me the whole narrative of "greatest economy in history." CNN moved from interviewing people in diners across the midwest to talking about the great economy, from economic anxiety to the fall in black unemployment (which was falling for years before Trump took office, but no one mentioned that), from gas prices are too high under Obama to how low they were under Trump, etc.

I remember the 80s when it was sub $1 for a gallon of unleaded. During COVID here in LA, a gallon of premium was as high as $8 (its back down to about 4.50 at the moment).

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Its not like dems don't have media that is friendly to them, but sometimes i wish the likes of MSNBC where as relentless as Fox, if those were the gas price increases under a Hillary admin, even though small, you would never hear the end of it.

Instead, they allowed Fox to dominate with the narrative that Trump brought down gas prices every single day of the week, when he didn't even do that.

Would dems having an actual liberal version of Fox really hurt them?

ManUtd1999

I remember the 80s when it was sub $1 for a gallon of unleaded. During COVID here in LA, a gallon of premium was as high as $8 (its back down to about 4.50 at the moment).
Yeah, the trend is positive, as the above link clearly show.

Its not like dems don't have media that is friendly to them, but sometimes i wish the likes of MSNBC where as relentless as Fox, if those were the gas price increases under a Hillary admin, even though small, you would never hear the end of it.

Instead, they allowed Fox to dominate with the narrative that Trump brought down gas prices every single day of the week, when he didn't even do that.

Would dems having an actual liberal version of Fox really hurt them?
The mainstream media tends to follow the right-wing media. No question. When Tucker Carlson was at FOX News, he was quoted every day on MSNBC and CNN, which only gave his words more exposure. The media didn't stop talking about the caravan in 2018 before the midterm elections, and somehow painted that as a negative thing for the Democrats even though Trump has been two years in office.

Until recently, I didn't want to have a left-wing FOX. But I started to think that it may be necessary, at least until we get back to some normalcy.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There is some polling that suggests Trump would love a lot of support if he was convicted, which is what it seems the tweet is referencing.
He loves a lot of support at all times, but I agree he would love it most if he was off to prison.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There is some polling that suggests Trump would love a lot of support if he was convicted, which is what it seems the tweet is referencing.
The tweet is referencing a Koch memo that suggests Trump will lose against Biden.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ironically, there are some liberal Jews who are considering voting for Trump because they think he’s more likely to not interfere or pressure the Israelis in their dealings with Hamas.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
And Trump was the cnut that went for moving the US embassy to Jerusalem.
if Muslims vote for Trump and/or don’t vote for Biden then they’re going to be really disappointed when they find out what an unshackled Trump is like.

Dr. Dwayne

How am I expected to reconcile voting for someone who is supporting the murder of Palestenians? Why is US prosperity more important than Palestenians human lives? It's always easy for the majority to tell a minority in a country "just put up with it and vote".
Imagine what a Trump administration would have done instead. Recall the things he did to fan the flames of that conflict.

I'm not thinking about prosperity. I'm thinking of all those things that @WI_Red mentioned and more.

It's not easy and America makes it worse by being so staunchly two party. Terribly, I don't think you're going to get an American administration that doesn't support Israel wholly. Could you consider voting with your conscience down ballot?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can't wait for another Trump vs Biden really.

"You're senile!", "no you!".

God bless the usa and stuff.