21st Century Top 10 Players

Theonas

Scout
I did not see this anywhere on the forum so apologies if I missed the thread.

I am going to assume my top 3 is not controversial and actually won't be surprised if it will be the same for most in a different order. My metric is some sort of combination of talent, impact, longevity, trophy haul and that bums off seats X factor in no particular order.

1) Lionel Messi
2) Ronaldo
3) Cristiano Ronaldo
4) Andres Iniesta
5) Thierry Henry
6) Zinedine Zidane
7) Ronaldinho
8) Sergio Ramos
9) Paul Scholes
10) Arjen Robben

pacifictheme

Fat ronaldo wasn't better in the 21st century than cr7. His best years were 20th century.

Theonas

Scout
Yeah, toughest one I'd say but Scholes is my favorite United player and was never going to leave him out. I also wanted some variety and representation with positions and leagues, hence Ramos and Robben. But yeah I know, it's blasphemous!

Theonas

Scout
Wonder why we always exclude GK's from these debates.

Schmeichel in there
As @nokillingmoths wrote basically. Plus, I guess GKs are usually excluded for the same reason they don't usually win the biggest individual honors. Creating and attacking is just, and will always be, more appreciated is any field really, than the opposite. It's what we look up to when we are kids and I suppose that stays with us. Having said that, If I was making a top 20 list, Manuel Neuer would definitely get in there!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, toughest one I'd say but Scholes is my favorite United player and was never going to leave him out. I also wanted some variety and representation with positions and leagues, hence Ramos and Robben. But yeah I know, it's blasphemous!
I tried to come up with the list, included Xavi, Shevchenko too then ended up missing players like Nedved, Eto'o and other great players. So just deleted the list. It's too hard to pick 10 players.

I would include Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Henry for sure. 3 spots is up for debate with players like Nedved, Pirlo, Eto'o, Maldini, Nesta, Dani Alves, Robben,

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If it's just 21st century:

1) Messi
2) Cristiano Ronaldo
3) Xavi
4) Zidane
5) Ronaldinho
6) Iniesta
7) Pirlo
8) Ronaldo
9) Henry
10) Lahm

Honourable mentions - Gerrard, Robben, Ferdinand, Cannavaro, Buffon, Kaka, Scholes

Theonas

Scout
I tried to come up with the list, included Xavi, Shevchenko too then ended up missing players like Nedved, Eto'o and other great players. So just deleted the list. It's too hard to pick 10 players.

I would include Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Henry for sure. 3 spots is up for debate with players like Nedved, Pirlo, Eto'o, Maldini, Nesta, Dani Alves, Robben,
I don't think you will get many arguments with those names, but I always thought Nesta and Maldini after the turn of the century were not all that. Their tally of 2 and 1 league titles in over a decade takes off lots of points from me, I'd say Cannavaro and Chiellini had a better century.

I also really think Suarez and Lewandowski surpassed Shevchenko and Eto'o in my books. Their numbers and all-round play has been phenomenal at their respective peaks.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
1. Lionel Messi
2. Cristiano Ronaldo
3. Xavi
4. Zinedine Zidane
5. Ronaldinho
6. Andres Iniesta
7. Thierry Henry
8. Sergio Ramos
9. Ricardo Kaka
10. Manuel Neuer

BlackShark_80

1. Messi
2. Cristiano
3. Zidane
4. Xavi
5. Ronaldinho
6. Maldini
7. Henry
8. Iniesta
9. Buffon
10. Shevchenko

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
1. Lionel Messi
2. Cristiano Ronaldo
3. Xavi Hernández
4. Andrés Iniesta
5. Ronaldinho Gaúcho
6. Zinédine Zidane
7. Thierry Henry
8. Arjen Robben
9. Gianluigi Buffon
10. Luis Suárez

Almost made the cut: Pavel Nedvěd, Alessandro Nesta, Dani Alves, Sergio Ramos, Paul Scholes, Ricardo Kaká, Philipp Lahm, Rio Ferdinand, Andrea Pirlo, David Villa, Manuel Neuer.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
  1. Messi
  2. Cristiano
  3. Xavi
  4. Iniesta
  5. Ronaldinho
  6. Robben
  7. Zidane
  8. Henry
  9. L. Ronaldo
  10. Pirlo
HM: Shevchenko, Scholes, Ferdinand, Nesta, Maldini, Ramos, Alves, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Modric, Suarez, Kaka, Nedved, Neuer, Buffon, Totti

SirAF

Ageist
2. Messi
3. Zidane
4. Xavi
5. Ronaldinho
6. Iniesta
7. Robben
8. Ramos
9. Henry
10. Ferdinand

L1nk

1. Lionel Messi
2. Cristiano Ronaldo
3. Ronaldinho
4. Thierry Henry
5. Ronaldo (Think he peaked at Barca and Inter but was still quality for Madrid)
6. Andres Iniesta
7. Xavi
8. Zinedine Zidane (Think only latter half his career was in 21st)
9. Kaka
10. Fabio Cannavaro

diarm

Messi
C.Ronaldo
Iniesta
Ronaldinho
Zidane
Xavi
Robben
Rivaldo
Pirlo
Henry

Gee Male

What the feck is with Ramos in so many lists? He wouldn't make my top 10 defenders, let alone players. He wouldn't make my top 100 players.

The White Pele

I’m a bit surprised by the lack of Zlatan in these lists. I’m not the biggest fan personally but a few years ago many tried to include him in the Messi and Ronaldo conversation at times.

My list:
Messi
Ronaldo
Iniesta
Ronaldinho
Henry
Zidane (split across centuries)
Xavi
Zlatan
Pirlo
Rooney (a bit sentimental really but Utd and England all time top scorer, all in the 21st century)

Notable omissions:

Robben
Ferdinand
Suarez
Neymar
Ramos
Buffon

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
What the feck is with Ramos in so many lists? He wouldn't make my top 10 defenders, let alone players. He wouldn't make my top 100 players.
In terms of impact, longevity and trophy haul, I can't see how anyone can argue really. I can see the argument about his defensive talent but even then, surely, his harshest critics cannot argue he is below 2nd tier? I think the overall package puts him easily up there.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Messi
Ronaldo
Iniesta
Ronaldinho
Xavi
Zidane
Henry
Kaka
Neuer (Token keeper)
Lahm (Token defender)

pacifictheme

you guys are too young on these forums these days. Next thing you will be trying to tell me is the 94 double winning team wasnt SAF's best ever side.
I lived through the 90s and its my favourite era for football. Doesn't mean I can't read topic titles ;)

94 was good but 99 and 2008 were better, which is why they won the league and champions league. Even with our strongest team I don't think we were better than some in Europe in 94.

Theonas

Scout
I’m a bit surprised by the lack of Zlatan in these lists. I’m not the biggest fan personally but a few years ago many tried to include him in the Messi and Ronaldo conversation at times.
For me at least, his record at the highest stage: Champions League, decisive title races at the very top leagues is simply not good enough. It is for the same reason I never considered David de Gea among the very elite goalkeepers.

SydneyRoughDiamond

1. Messi
2. C.Ronaldo
3. Xavi
4. Iniesta
5. Ronaldinho
6. Lahm
7. Mbappe
8. Buffon
9. Ferdinand
10. Neuer

The White Pele

For me at least, his record at the highest stage: Champions League, decisive title races at the very top leagues is simply not good enough. It is for the same reason I never considered David de Gea among the very elite goalkeepers.
Yes fair and it’s the reason I usually don’t go for him in these conversations. On this occasion, due to his career goal tally and longevity in 21st century across multiple leagues I’ve put him in but at absolute peaks I believe there are many better forwards.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Not for me, mate — straddled two different centuries (which obviously hurts his case in both), and I associate him more with the mid-ish to late '90s anyway. While he did some good things in the 21st century, he was demonstrably removed from his peak Fenômeno capabilities (like with the Copa América team or with PSV/Barcelona/Internazionale before that injury), played a limited amount of elite level football (wasn't an overwhelming presence on the club scene at large for a sustained period of time), and while the 2002 World Cup was an awesome redemption arc — it lacked the competitiveness of previous editions and Rivaldo was every bit as good as Ronaldo, so I would probably have to push him toward the Top 10 as well. There are players who dominated the European Cup for several seasons, top-scored in domestic leagues for years on end, played at an outstanding level for a decade in not more — and many of them weren't included, so giving Ronaldo the nod didn't feel right.

Theonas

Scout
Not for me, mate — straddled two different centuries (which obviously hurts his case in both), and I associate him more with the mid-ish to late '90s anyway. While he did some good things in the 21st century, he was demonstrably removed from his peak Fenômeno capabilities (like with the Copa América team or with PSV/Barcelona/Internazionale before that injury), played a limited amount of elite level football (wasn't an overwhelming presence on the club scene at large for a sustained period of time), and while the 2002 World Cup was an awesome redemption arc — it lacked the competitiveness of previous editions and Rivaldo was every bit as good as Ronaldo, so I would probably have to push him toward the Top 10 as well. There are players who dominated the European Cup for several seasons, top-scored in domestic leagues for years on end, played at an outstanding level for a decade in not more — and many of them weren't included, so giving Ronaldo the nod didn't feel right.
Fair do's! Can't really argue with the logic. But Ronaldo was my first football idol and he would probably even make my top hairstyles list with no apologies :D

Paula

Supports
Bayern
I'm not a huge fan of those lists, but it makes me sick of only seeing forwards to be honest.

Alternativ players:
Neuer
Buffon
Maldini
Lahm
Roberto Carlos
Cannavaro
Ramos
Nesta
Ferdinand
Vidic
Piqué
Alves

Gee Male

In terms of impact, longevity and trophy haul, I can't see how anyone can argue really. I can see the argument about his defensive talent but even then, surely, his harshest critics cannot argue he is below 2nd tier? I think the overall package puts him easily up there.
Problems with his defensive talent and rating him at 2nd tier means he cant be in your top 10. Tons of defenders better than him this century. Trophy haul is one thing, but when his defending wasca weak link in a trophy winning team then it can only count for so much.

2 Neville's

1) Messi
2) Cristiano Ronaldo
3) Iniesta
4) Ronaldinho
5) Xavi
6) Zidane
7) Lahm
8) Henry
9) Robben
10) Buffon

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In some order

Messi
Cristiano
Zidane
Ronaldinho
Xavi
Suarez
Henry
Ronaldo
Neymar
Robben

Theonas

Scout
Problems with his defensive talent and rating him at 2nd tier means he cant be in your top 10. Tons of defenders better than him this century. Trophy haul is one thing, but when his defending wasca weak link in a trophy winning team then it can only count for so much.
I did not say I rated him 2nd tier. I meant that even his harshest critics surely can't argue he is below even that but I guess you do?

I don't agree at all that his defending was a weak link. If anything, I think he is the only who could defend the way he did in a team that made the great Cannavaro look decidedly average at his peak. The pressure and amount of exposure defensively for Real Madrid is to me unique to any other team as most teams either have a very well drilled system that protects and assist every part of the whole like Pep or Klopp's teams or the best Bayern sides. Or teams retreat back to a deeper line with more bodies to protect their defenders like Atlético Madrid teams, Juventus, and I would even include our 2007-2009 teams in the very big games at least. Real do neither of these things, or at least, they do it to a much lesser extent to me translates in them needing more individual quality to make up for that lack of structure or "pragmatism" as some would like to call it. Ramos, Marcelo, Modric and Ronaldo were/are for me the best example of that superiority.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
1. Lionel Messi
2. Cristiano Ronaldo
3. Xavi Hernández
4. Andrés Iniesta
5. Ronaldinho Gaúcho
6. Zinédine Zidane
7. Thierry Henry
8. Arjen Robben
9. Gianluigi Buffon
10. Luis Suárez

Almost made the cut: Pavel Nedvěd, Alessandro Nesta, Dani Alves, Sergio Ramos, Paul Scholes, Ricardo Kaká, Philipp Lahm, Rio Ferdinand, Andrea Pirlo, David Villa, Manuel Neuer.
This is what I would choose except subbing out Suarez for Neymar.