Music 25 years of Doggystyle

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Don't think there's another album that gave me so much of a buzz over the years, or that I pretty much remembered all the words to right the way through to my 20s. Snoop might not have made a decent record since, but if he died tomorrow it would hit me so fecking hard because of this (I dreamed recently that Snoop died and I was giving the press conference to announce it to the world's media @Olly).

Anyway...

Happy 25th Anniversary to Snoop Dogg’s debut album Doggystyle, originally released November 23, 1993.

https://www.albumism.com/features/s...doggystyle-turns-25-anniversary-retrospective

My favorite - Tha Shiznit:

Dante

Average bang
I know that Snoop is considered a bit of a comedy act, but if you get past the haze I think he's arguably the greatest rapper of all time.

The flow and the rhyme structure are as advanced as anyone you'll ever hear (particularly evident compared to his nineties peers). His voice is more 'musical' and listenable than anyone else I can think of. And his style/phraseology is the most unique and identifiable in the genre. The only thing that let's him down is the narrow range of his lyrics. But if you can accept him as a party MC rather than a political MC, he's the GOAT.

On top of that, he's the only rapper nobody every tries to imitate. Because everyone knows that they could never do it better than him.

Member 39557

The album is fecking brilliant. I still listen to a song or 2 every now and again, and it always sounds great.

It's the most terrible thing I've ever seen, and that includes Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
When I met you last night SteveJ, before you opened up your gap. I had respect for you SteveJ, but now I take it all back.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Last night a SteveJ shaved my wife.

Notorious

Ironically he committed career suicide after leaving death row
What absolute rubbish, for a start his no limit albums Top Dogg and Tha Last Meal are better than Tha Doggfather which was on Death Row, so his music actually improved? And on top of that leaving Death Row only made him a lot more money, so it's the right move whatever way you look at it. These kind of ignorant comments remind me of the idiots that say Nas(or any other legend in rap)has only one great album.

I know that Snoop is considered a bit of a comedy act, but if you get past the haze I think he's arguably the greatest rapper of all time.

The flow and the rhyme structure are as advanced as anyone you'll ever hear (particularly evident compared to his nineties peers). His voice is more 'musical' and listenable than anyone else I can think of. And his style/phraseology is the most unique and identifiable in the genre. The only thing that let's him down is the narrow range of his lyrics. But if you can accept him as a party MC rather than a political MC, he's the GOAT.

On top of that, he's the only rapper nobody every tries to imitate. Because everyone knows that they could never do it better than him.
Great post Dante, I agree with most of your points. I do however disagree about him being the greatest of all time, for me he's not in quite the same league as say Nas, Biggie or Eminem and that's mainly because of his narrow range in lyrics like you say. I can totally understand why he'd be your favourite though and I have a friend who thinks the same, it all depends on what you're looking for in rap but I'd propapbly place him just outside my top 5, definitely one of the greatest. Snoop Dogg has the best voice in rap and a unique style, even people who hate rap can recognize his voice.

Last edited: