Television 3 Body Problem

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Someone mentioned the novels in the book thread. I’ve been meaning to read them. Looks interesting. Great cast and by the team behind GoT. Will definitely watch.
This isn’t a positive.

SuperiorXI

I tried to read the book a couple years ago and didn't get into it. It was interesting enough but didn't quite grip me. Might be because it was a translation job, I think the original author is Chinese.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I tried to read the book a couple years ago and didn't get into it. It was interesting enough but didn't quite grip me. Might be because it was a translation job, I think the original author is Chinese.
The translator is too, Chinese-American. I thought the first book was great but the series really comes into its own in the 2nd part.

Drainy

Looking forward to it. The GoT creators making it can be a good thing if they are passionate about it. The first few seasons of GoT were great when they stuck closer to the books.

My feeling was that they really only cared about big set piece events in the first 3 books from a song of ice and fire, which led to them rushing the last few seasons when they were past their favourite bits.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very intrigued by this!

On another note just got done reading Snow Crash and that has to get an adaptation at some point it's fecking great...

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Someone mentioned the novels in the book thread. I’ve been meaning to read them. Looks interesting. Great cast and by the team behind GoT. Will definitely watch.
That trailer at least makes it look interesting. The book is mostly Chinese people, so kinda surprised to see so many actors not being Asian in this. I think the books could probably use a more lively translation, as the 1st and 3rd are by one person, and the middle book is translated by what appears to be a fussy grandma. Too often the prose is dry and it's not in any way a page-turner like the GoT books. I'll watch this because the idea behind the books was an interesting idea, I just didn't have the patience to wade through 3,000 pages to find out what happened.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
That trailer at least makes it look interesting. The book is mostly Chinese people, so kinda surprised to see so many actors not being Asian in this. I think the books could probably use a more lively translation, as the 1st and 3rd are by one person, and the middle book is translated by what appears to be a fussy grandma. Too often the prose is dry and it's not in any way a page-turner like the GoT books. I'll watch this because the idea behind the books was an interesting idea, I just didn't have the patience to wade through 3,000 pages to find out what happened.
It's fairly common knowledge that the GoT showrunners were obsessed with bringing the red wedding to life and lost interest soon after.

Thankfully there's not really a red wedding equivalent in this series but I can picture them wanting to bring the ship scene to life in a similar way and then washing their hands of it.

We'll find out soon enough.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The trailer makes it look interesting and right up my alley.

The GOT and netflix bits are less positive but I'll end up at least giving it a go.

Mot even sure why the netflix part has me s epically other than the amount of crap that's on there.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The GoT connection is strong here - the showrunners Benioff and Weiss, the composer Ramin Djavadi and actors John Bradley, Lee Cunningham, Jonathan Pryce..

There is a chinese version of this - tv series called Three-Body (30 episodes) (2023) if someone is interested how that story is adapted..

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The GoT connection is strong here - the showrunners Benioff and Weiss, the composer Ramin Djavadi and actors John Bradley, Lee Cunningham, Jonathan Pryce..

There is a chinese version of this - tv series called Three-Body (30 episodes) (2023) if someone is interested how that story is adapted..
Heard the Chinese adaptation is excellent.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Netflix have an uncanny knack for making really expensive shows looks extremely cheap and this looks a bit like that from the trailer. But I’ve heard good things about the book so fingers crossed.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

So basically its the same plot but they just replaced the Chinese cast with white folks?

PepG

Supports
Ajax
So basically its the same plot but they just replaced the Chinese cast with white folks?
Nobody can tell untill we see the series... The Chinese adaptation is said to be very close to the source material.. knowing how B&W work it is to be expected that there will be some alterations and even major plot changes just to fit their agenda..

Wing Attack Plan R

Benioff and Weiss couldn’t possibly shit the bed as hard this time as they did on GoT. Opening up a Reddit GoT thread would have given them a better plot. Hopefully those two fecking cnuts listen to somebody when they tell them they are going off the rails and their ideas are totally fecking moronic.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

The team behind GoT?

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Been watching the Chinese version. It's 30 bloody episodes and it's only the first book. 22½ hours. I don't think it took me that long to read the book.

Fingeredmouse

Wasn't there a thread about this prior to Jan this year, or have I reached the dual-tragic state of dreaming about posting regarding this and then confusing it with reality?