3 players we cannot do without

simplyared

Maguire; Fernandes; Rashford

I’m saying we’re in a position if any one of the above players were not on the teamsheet it would damage us considerably.

Which in my mind makes us vulnerable. Can’t see any of the other top teams being so dependant on so few players.

Replacing any of these 3 from our current squad becomes a massive downgrade imo and that for me becomes a problem.

Both Maguire and Rashford get criticized on here so maybe those critics would probably accuse me for overplaying their influence on the team. .

Views on this!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I know you don't rate Fred but our performance without Fred has been shocking this season.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think you're definitely overplaying Maguire's influence on the team. As for Rashford and Fernandes, those are two obvious ones and I agree with them. This is probably an indictment on the team, but I can't think of a 3rd. I would've said Wan Bissaka a few weeks ago, or maybe a month or two ago, but recently he seems to be getting caught out with the same move time after time.

Maybe Cavani?? God knows. I do think we're a lot better with him upfront over Martial.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There's tiers for me.

Bruno
Rashford
------------------
Maguire
Fred
AWB
Cavani
----------------
Greenwood
Martial
Pogba
DDG
Lindelof
---------------
Homer Simpson "...and the rest"

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Thought it would be Bruno, Rashford and Fred. Have no idea why Maguire is anywhere near this.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think Maguire is our best defender but Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe aren't light years behind him. Bruno and Rashford are definitely indispensable and to be fair to Fred he's in that conversation too.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

I’m saying we’re in a position if any one of the above players were not on the teamsheet it would damage us considerably.

Which in my mind makes us vulnerable. Can’t see any of the other top teams being so dependant on so few players.

Replacing any of these 3 from our current squad becomes a massive downgrade imo and that for me becomes a problem.

Both Maguire and Rashford get criticized on here so maybe those critics would probably accuse me for overplaying their influence on the team. .

Views on this!
I think we see a drop in performance when Martial is missing too. Otherwise I agree.

DickDastardly

I think we see a drop in performance when Martial is missing too. Otherwise I agree.
Missing in game or missing from the game?

Lately it's more of the first, he goes missing for huge parts of the game when he's mostly a passenger in the team watching it unfold before him.

I'd agree with you though, when he performes we are usualy good. The problem is he seldom does.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kane, Son... and pick one as a bonus.
De Bruyne, Sterling, Rodrigo
Messi, Alba, Ter Stegen
Neymar, Mbappé, Marquinhos
Lewandowski, Müller, Kimmich (okay, they’ve got a really good squad)
Mane, Van Dijk, Fabinho
Etc.

We’ll do relatively fine without Rashford by the way (not that he isn’t one of our best and most important players).

DickDastardly

Like Harms said, you could do the 3 vital players argument in every top team.

Our main problem is - it's not really 3 players.

It's 1. And we all know who he is.

We yet need to get to the stage where we have 3 vital players.

harms

Staff
As for those who are doubting the Maguire's inclusion — take it from one of his avid critics, I have a lot of issues with his leadership and general level of his performances, but he is absolutely irreplaceable if we're talking about our current squad and not transfer market options. He's still our best center back – and he's also one of our only two center backs that are capable of playing in two games in a row without getting injured. Considering that the rest can't seem to get fit even if their life depended on it...

I had huge hopes for Bailly at some point, for example, thinking that his mistakes will disappear with experience, but you can't get that experience on a treating table. Same goes for Jones, although the times where he looked like a proper talent were so long ago that it feels like a complete fantasy at the moment.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Maguire & Rashford are easily replaceable to be honest.

Bruno Fernandes is our one and only irreplaceable player.

Lindelof & Bailly/Axel at CB could do a job just as well as Maguire. Martial, Greenwood & Cavani could easily work as a front 3. Nobody else in our squad gives us what Bruno does. Van de Beek is good but it’s a visible downgrade. I don’t get a that sense with the other 2.

GazTheLegend

Scholes said we missed Greenwood the other day which was interesting. I've been more impressed with Greenwood this season that last

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Spurs must be even more dependent on Son and Kane.
Tottenham without Kane is a 50-60 point team. They are extremely dependent on him. Son having the season of his career must be a huge relief all thing considered.

I found the ppg without Kane a while ago and without him they are comfortabli mid-table

Davie Moyes

To those who are saying we can do without Maguire, he never misses a game which is why we don't see the other side.

I can imagine it would be like before we signed him. Panic stations because suddenly we would have to bring in Bailly, Rojo or Jones.

simplyared

Kane, Son... and pick one as a bonus.
De Bruyne, Sterling, Rodrigo
Messi, Alba, Ter Stegen
Neymar, Mbappé, Marquinhos
Lewandowski, Müller, Kimmich (okay, they’ve got a really good squad)
Mane, Van Dijk, Fabinho
Etc.

We’ll do relatively fine without Rashford by the way (not that he isn’t one of our best and most important players).
Agree with you on Spurs and that's why they will fall short this season. See how they go on tonight against Wolves.
Re man City agree on De Bruyne, that said which team wouldn't miss him? Otherwise city had Foden, Mahrez, Fernandinho, Aguero all on the bench yesterday. With those players you wouldn't get much of a downgrade if you lost Rodrigo or Sterling.
Liverpool would certainly miss Mane and for me he's there most important player. However VanDijk they have proved they can play without and with Henderson who can fit the role that Fabinho has is no bigger problem for them either.

GueRed

Bruno, Maguire and Rashford.

Special mention for Fred he's an important player for us now... I wrote him off in the back end of the 2018/19 season. He has proven me wrong the last 12 months.

simplyared

I think Maguire & Rashford are easily replaceable to be honest.

Bruno Fernandes is our one and only irreplaceable player.

Lindelof & Bailly/Axel at CB could do a job just as well as Maguire. Martial, Greenwood & Cavani could easily work as a front 3. Nobody else in our squad gives us what Bruno does. Van de Beek is good but it’s a visible downgrade. I don’t get a that sense with the other 2.
Easily replaceable? Thats a huge call! With Rashford not on the field we not only lose our main attacking threat we also use his unbelievable workrate and enthusiasm. We have nobody on our bench who can contribute anywhere near what he contributes when he's on the field.
Maguire is paramount to our defense imo based not only on his playing ability but for his sheer presence and experience. Say what you like but seeing his name on the teamsheet makes me feel a lot calmer. And I'm pretty sure when OGS selects the team he is the first name on it and there's a reason for that.

bsCallout

Don't agree on Rashford.

Drop him and put Martial left with Cavani through the middle and I dont think we are any worse.

Maguire, Fred, Bruno for me at the moment.

RUCK4444

Maguire has his weaknesses but he’s by far our best defender and is probably the very first name on our team sheet along with Bruno.

He’s not an 80 million player, no, but he didn’t set the price and he’s certainly better than some make him out to be.

Our defence were pretty solid last season, somethings changed, we definitely need a top CB to partner Harry, I’m very confident we will absolutely see the best of him then.

stepic

Rashford is easily replaceable. His inconsistency, poor decision making and inability to finish is exactly what we need to replace.

Maguire isn’t much better to be honest.

skeelz

1. Bruno
2. Bruno
3. Bruno

I think he's the only player we rely on for rythm.

harms

Staff
Liverpool would certainly miss Mane and for me he's there most important player. However VanDijk they have proved they can play without and with Henderson who can fit the role that Fabinho has is no bigger problem for them either.
They have dealt with van Dijk's absence by putting Fabinho in his place. He is the reason why they were able to cope with such a loss. Anyway, taking 3 best players (or, rather, 3 most "irreplaceable" ones) would hurt any team massively, so that is a very weird point to make.

A more worrying part would be how reliant we are on one player though, as without Bruno literally everything falls apart. That's hardly normal and we should certainly do something about it.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

Views on this!
Maguire? Na. We can cope without him.

wolvored

Bruno and thats it. If anything happened to him and he was out for a few games we would be back to midtable. The West Ham game showed that completely.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Views on this!
You're joking? I think you take the below out of teams and they drop off massively.

Liverpool without Van D Salah and Mane
Tottenham without Kane and Son
Villa without Grealish
City without De Bruyne

Chelsea are the ones I think avoid this focus on a few as the haven't even had their best front 4 play once yet. And their two big signing Germans have been average to woeful to date.

Welbeckham

I think Bruno and Fred are the most important players we have, without them we often look vulnerable. Sometimes our ’tall CM’s’ can do the job, but they are often defensively suspect together, when Fred’s energy is lacking. Rashford and Maguire are probably better than their potential replacements, I’ll give you that.

And anyone who classifies AWB or De Gea as highly important should see our performance against Everton in Carabao Cup.

acnumber9

Maguire kind of gets in by default as him being missing would mean Bailly having to play. Rashford and Bruno for sure though.