3rd Season Curse: What are your expectations for next season?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Probably a bit too early, but this season is done and dusted. Nothing enjoyable to discuss.

Let's move on to The dreaded 3rd season of Mou! :eek:

Picture Source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbym...e-mourinho-stand-up-to-scrutiny/#79a504d178be

My expectations and predictions:

Expectation: Anything less than the PL and/or a CL will be deemed a failure.

Prediction: #3 finish in PL and SF exit in CL.

I'm just tired of more time/more money excuse. But I reckon he still will have 1 more year and maybe 100 more million with nothing to show for it. Just being realistic! :(

Minimalist

History suggests it's Mourinho's last season by sacking or resignation at the end.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It was his third season when Mourinho won the Champions League with Porto

As long as you bring the 3 or 4 players you need you'll challenge for the title. You'll naturally improve since there are obvious flaws with the squad that need fixing while City will never replicate what they've done this season in the league.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Similar to this season. Top 4 (no real difference between 2nd, 3rd or 4th, especially when all are a distance away from 5th), maybe make a cup run in league cup or FA cup, no real threat in the Champions League, no real threat in the league, boring and pragmatic football and grinding things out. More unhappy flair players.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Depends on the market. Do we spend 150m? Do we spend 250m? How many first XI signings will we make...

If Jose buys two full backs, signs Alderweireld, adds a midfielder and finds a right sided attacker I would have huge expectations. If he does half of that I suspect it will take at least another year to be serious contenders in Europe and match City at home (unless of course somehow teams figure out a more effective way of playing them).

Gbenger

We will win a major trophy. Either the Premier League title or the Champions League. Not both of them though. No need to be greedy.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Silly time to make predictions given we don't know who will leave and who will arrive

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Expect top 4 with no sustained title push, a domestic cup and quarter final at best champions league showing.

Not terrible but this is our level right now and I can’t see another window changing this.

Nickys Butt

If shit hits the fan next year it would be such a nightmare to throw away another season. Since Fergie has left we've had too many seasons were the league games have been pretty pointless from January onwards. If the worst happens and it looks like the players have given up, it'd be best to sack him quickly and not drag things out ala Jose at Chelsea in his third season and Van Gaal with us in his second season. I doubt that'd happen though and we'd go on to have a miserable season.

Lets fecking hope that's not the case because it would literally be a fecking disaster and depending on managers available at the time we could be looking at another "Give it to Giggseh til end a season" campaign, except this time you'd likely have more people behind the idea:annoyed:

Edit: Just to clarify I don't think we will have a season like this, I pretty much expect a similar season to this one. Would that be good enough to justify him staying on? With the fans I'd suggest NO, with the board? YES.

Jacko21

Expectation: PL champions and CL semi-final.

Prediction: PL champions and CL semi-final.

Manchester United to be transformed by actual full-backs. Mourinho to enter unprecedented fourth season...

In all seriousness, I just want us to be competitive - so be in an actual title race and to be relevant in the Champions League again.

We need to claw back some respect.

Eddy_JukeZ

Expect a similar season.

I would hope the board has an expectation of a title challenge, because it's been far too long....

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Chelsea won a super cup in 05/06?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Jose has to make at least one section of this team work properly. Preferably attack. That's what I want.

What I expect depends how ruthless Jose is over summer.

We will do well to finish above Liverpool next season though, nevermind City. And I'd expect some Chelsea investment.

Bobski

We might win something big, it will still be shit to watch with the forum split because of it.

JohnnyKills

Think it could go one of two ways. Either we become genuinely competitive again or mou suffers another mutiny.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Maybe 'Super Cup' includes the Community Shield, which they won that year.
Super cup is what you are involved in for a CL, or Eropa win, no?

alsabi

Super cup is what you are involved in for a CL, or Eropa win, no?
Well, there is the UEFA Super Cup, yes, but I think that elsewhere in Europe 'Super Cup' can also refer to domestic exhibition matches, like the Community Shield, that you qualify for by winning a bigger trophy the season before. In Italy they have the 'Supercoppa', for instance.

Cloud7

Similar to this season really. We’ll “challenge” for the league, not play anything particularly entertaining, not go far in Europe because of “heritage” but probably reach an FA cup or League Cup semi/final and it will be called progress.

Would be absolutely overjoyed if we actually win something big and I’m proven wrong, I just sadly can’t see it.

MooseTheMooche

I absolutely stopped having any expectations for the upcoming season, this team and this manager. Let's face it, he is not going to suddenly transform his approach just because he bought two new fullbacks/additional midfielder. Premier League title? No chance, everytime I see us play we look so disjointed it's beyond me, CL? better not to talk about our chances in this competition, that shit Roma side would blow us out of the water. So probably another season of top4 fight and some mickey mouse trophy.

I just wish I could enjoy our team play and be excited for an upcoming match, right now it's more like a chore.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I’m expecting a battle for the top four place behind City and Liverpool for definite, and probably Spurs as well. Chelsea is a bit more difficult to assess depending on who takes-over, if they keep Hazard and if he turns-up more often than he has this season, etc., but if we battle them for that last top 4 place and end-up “winning” that battle then I think Jose will end-up in a pretty safe position, especially if he gets the League Cup or something.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'd be surprised if we get more points than this season unless we get our transfer business spot on and make significant improvement to the starting line up.

Cathy Ferguson

15 points behind City in the league, eliminated at the QF stage in the CL, unless we manage to sign 4 top players who are successful immediately.

laughtersassassin

I expect us to finish behind Liverpool and while they improve we stagnate as we have done.

Hate to say it but I see little to suggest this team is going to kick on short of signing around 5 players which is unrealistic.

That being said we could sign 5 players and hell I still wouldn't be confident. With the players we got now we should be playing better!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'd be surprised if we get more points than this season unless we get our transfer business spot on and make significant improvement to the starting line up.
Yeah, I think we’ll get struggle to get more points than this one. Will be about 80 maximum.

No point trying to predict cups too much. Don’t see us beating any top sides over two legs though in the CL.

I expect Mourinho not to be our manager in 2019-20.

This is what I sense is most likely. It is still within the hands of our manager and players to win the league and become a force again though. I just think our squad is badly constructed currently and we either need a big personnel turnover, which I don’t sense is imminent, or a number of players seriously step up and possibly retrain position.

laughtersassassin

Honestly expect us to drop a league place rather than gain one if i am honest.

Worrying dont know the last time I went into a Summer window not expecting to come out a vastly better team at the other side?

Swift Football

I think we will see Sevilla like performance/result again which will cause club to depart with him some time next season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Let's expect a big meltdown early on following constant media circus which will ruin our season overall and Mourinho will get himself fired. And hope for the best, which is a treble season of course. Anything can happen

Judas

Open to offers
What’s annoying is I think we’ll get less points and the top 4 battle will be worse. I think all the rest of the 6 will be either stronger or as good this season.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
CL QF, FA Cup (final) and another 2nd place finish in the league.

Knowing United's management he won't get the sack.

0le

In my opinion, any fans talking about a title challenge are bordering on delusion. We've made some progress under Mourinho, particularly in terms of generally being able to grind out results. This can be a good trait to have, but when all you do is grind out results, then it can become a negative trait. This is because it shows inconsistency and lack of performances. Eventually you will not be able to continue and you will start to lose games which is what we are seeing. No team has ever won the title grinding out results and playing poorly for an entire season. We'll be competing for fourth. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Fight for the title and a bit better campaign in the CL.
Agreed. Improve the squad in the summer and demand a title challenge. The rest have a lot of ground to make up on City, and we must be much closer next season. In the Champions League, we should be looking to get to at least the quarter-final. This Liverpool team have made the final, which underlines our underperformance this season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Mourinho's third season in his second Chelsea stint was his only truly disastrous season. This "stat" is really blown out of proportion.