4 United youngsters called up for Euro U19 qualifiers

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
United youngsters Danny Welbeck, Danny Drinkwater and Ben Amos have been included in the England U19 squad for next month’s Qualifying Round for the 2009 European U19 Championship, while Davide Petrucci has been called up by Italy.

The three Englishmen were picked by Brian Eastick for the U19s’ friendly with the Netherlands earlier this month (although Drinkwater was forced to pull out due to injury) and remain in the squad for the four team qualifying round, to be held in Belfast between the 8th and 13th of October. As well as the host Northern Ireland side, England will face their Serbian and Albanian counterparts as they bid to progress to the Elite Qualifying Round next spring.

Petrucci meanwhile will travel to Chisinau in Moldova with the Italian party, Russia and Latvia the other two teams in the group, and those games take place between the 2nd and the 8th of October. Petrucci’s presence in the U19 squad as a 16 year-old highlights just how highly the young Roman midfielder is rated in his homeland. Unfortunately there’s no place for Federico Macheda in the squad, but having been included in the U18 squad recently, there’s a big incentive there for Kiko to force his way into the U19s for the Elite Round (should Italy progress) by continuing his rapid progress with United.

Joshua King is in Norway’s U16 squad for a couple of games this week, although his participation has to be in some doubt as he missed the Academy’s game with Derby on Saturday due to the knee injury that has troubled him since returning from the Milk Cup. Robert Brady is definitely out of Ireland’s U17 qualifiers next month, his muscle injury not having healed sufficiently. And John Rory Gorman is part of the Northern Ireland U17 squad currently in the middle of their U17 qualifying round - won one, lost one so far with one still to play.

Source: http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com...water-amos-called-up-for-euro-u19-qualifiers/

Nice to see Petrucci included.. Also Welbeck should get another good run out.. This time around he will be fit and raring to go...

PS18

Just further to that bit about Josh King at the end - he has now been withdrawn from the squad and will stay with us to continue treatment on his injury.

LouisRocca

Joshua King has withdrawn from Norway's U16 squad, not a big suprise since he's been carring an injury for some time...

Nice to see Petrucci getting called up for the U19, for an Italian aged 16 AND playing abroad to get a callup above his agegroup is not something the Italians do often. I have high hopes for some of our U18 players, I realy looking forward to the FA-youth Cup this year.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Regarding King; I thought it was an ankle - not knee - injury?

PS18

Think you're right actually Elliott, will correct that. Moffatt and Dudgeon the ones with the dodgy knees atm.

Decotron

Joshua King has withdrawn from Norway's U16 squad, not a big suprise since he's been carring an injury for some time...

Nice to see Petrucci getting called up for the U19, for an Italian aged 16 AND playing abroad to get a callup above his agegroup is not something the Italians do often. I have high hopes for some of our U18 players, I realy looking forward to the FA-youth Cup this year.
Thats a very good point

Name Changed

weso26
Macheda wasn't called up then? Is that because he hasn't really come through the ranks in Italy as Petrucci did?

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Macheda wasn't called up then? Is that because he hasn't really come through the ranks in Italy as Petrucci did?
Nope... according to the story I have pasted above.. he has not been called up.. Sadly..

LouisRocca

Macheda wasn't called up, but I guess he's not that far from a callup, since both he and Petrucci was, if I remember correctly, called up for the U18 team earlier this month. Both are held in high regards back home in Italy.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Think you're right actually Elliott, will correct that. Moffatt and Dudgeon the ones with the dodgy knees atm.
Dudgeon is back in training and will return in the next few weeks.

Moffatt has started running and kicking a ball but will be out for another few months.

Josh King still has a cast on his ankle and is still limping.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I really must say you lot are very knowledgeable/Well Informed... And I am not being sarcastic even one little bit... Back in the Newbies there was only this one chap who actually conversed about our reserves & youth players and his knowledge too was far greater than mine...

rocks13

Conor Devlin and Corry Evans both named in the Northern Ireland U19 Euro qualifying squad.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Cool. Did anyone see the game? If so, how was he?

rocks13

Drinkwater scored for England in a 3-0 win against Albania - no team details on UEFA website yet.

PS18

Drinkwater played the full 90 (and scored as said), Welbeck started but went off with a groin injury early on and looks likely to miss the other two games. Amos was on the bench.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Any news on Welbeck's injury? Is he still with the squad?