4 Way Draft - QF: Prolifik vs Gio

With players at their level during the designated years, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Prolifik

Gio

Prolifik Tactics (aged 26-30)

We will continue to rely on our possession game, looking to move the ball quickly through midfield and feed our attacking trio in space to do what they do best. This starts with our entire back five being excellent on the ball, Busquets is the archetypal possession-game holding midfielder, and of course Tigana, Iniesta, and Di Stéfano are impeccable ball-carriers and playmakers.

Di Stéfano frequently drops deep to supplement the midfield, creating space for Stoichkov to make runs in behind cutting in from his nominal left wing role. Garrincha plays as more of an orthodox wide forward who relentlessly attacks the opposition left-back, but will occasionally drift infield to get into goalscoring positions as he did at the 1962 World Cup.

Djalma is the more conservative of the full-backs, while the energetic Briegel covers the left flank with constant overlapping runs to provide width, combining with Stoichkov and/or Iniesta as they both alternative moving into that space on the left.

Out of possession, we will play high up the pitch and try to constrict the opponent's time and space. Again, it starts with our mobile and athletic back five, with Van Dijk and Alisson in particular being experts at managing a high defensive line. Di Stéfano drops back into midfield, while the hard-working Tigana and Iniesta push wide to challenge the opposing full-backs.

Against Gio, Di Stéfano's work-rate will be key as we will have him pressure the opposition holding midfielder (I assume Keane replaces Silva there?) to try and slow down Gio's build-up play a bit. We also like having the defensive combination of Djalma and Nesta on Cristiano's flank.

Gio Tactics (aged 30+)

The 4-3-3 merges a high-calibre possession game with the ability to counter attack at pace.

Xavi and Modric join forces as arguably the two greatest central midfielders of all time for a ball-dominant game. Ahead, Puskas always relished the possession afforded by the Magyars and should bring neat on-the-ground interplay from his 9.5 posting. Introduced into the midfield is Roy Keane where the 30-and-over category presents an opportunity to use him in a slightly different role than the standard issue 442 B2B gig. By the age of 30 Keane for United evolved into less of a box-to-box madman and more of a controlling central midfielder, patrolling central areas with aggression and purpose. His positional decision-making had matured and perhaps most impressive by this stage was the sharpness of his passing, punching short balls unerringly through the lines of crowded midfields.

Behind them, the defence oozes quality on the ball. Passarella's credentials in that respect are crystal clear. His partner Thiago Silva offers complementary covering while his passing range and pace make him a natural fit. The resemblance to Barcelona is also evident on both sides with the Xavi/Alves axis back in action, with Nilton offering the Abidal-esque tuck-in-to-make-a-three option as well.

The attack drips with counter-attacking threat with Cristiano and Robben two of the greatest inverted wide forwards. Both are equally dangerous breaking down defences with their finishing ability when cutting onto their stronger feet. Joining the Real themed attack is Ferenc Puskas. He should feel at home in this central gig with two surging runners either side of him, allowing both his creative and his finishing games to flourish.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
both brilliant teams, its the workrate of the @prolifik front three that seals the vote for me.....also, not a fan of the Ronaldo Puskas partnership.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Would be a great game.

Two great sides with no major weaknesses.

Was really close but went with Prolifik ultimately because I feel his attack just would complement each other really well. And, I just prefer his defense with their ages more than Gio's.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Nicely drafted @prolifik.

In many ways better that you progress as I’d pretty much ran out of road to improve the team further, aside from a possible Baresi or Figueroa upgrade in defence.

prolifik

Nicely drafted @prolifik.

In many ways better that you progress as I’d pretty much ran out of road to improve the team further, aside from a possible Baresi or Figueroa upgrade in defence.
Cheers. It's a tough build to improve on, you need some very specific player types.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
both brilliant teams, its the workrate of the @prolifik front three that seals the vote for me.....also, not a fan of the Ronaldo Puskas partnership.
Can't think anything wrong with that. Puskas was incredibly selfless at Madrid.

Šjor Bepo

Can't think anything wrong with that. Puskas was incredibly selfless at Madrid.
selfless in a way that let di stefano and co. on the ball while he focused on scoring as he wasnt as fit as before to run around....what a Cristiano striker needs to do is exactly the opposite - run for him, make dummy runs and let him be in best scoring positions. As Benzema did, Rooney/Tevez etc.
I cant see Puskas doing that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
selfless in a way that let di stefano and co. on the ball while he focused on scoring as he wasnt as fit as before to run around....what a Cristiano striker needs to do is exactly the opposite - run for him, make dummy runs and let him be in best scoring positions. As Benzema did, Rooney/Tevez etc.
I cant see Puskas doing that.
Selfless that his assist per game ratio is much higher than even Messi. There's a thread here showing graph of different GOATs compilation. Let me see if i can find it.

Šjor Bepo

Selfless that his assist per game ratio is much higher than even Messi. There's a thread here showing graph of different GOATs compilation. Let me see if i can find it.
even so, Ronaldo thrives with a different type + gio has 30+ Puskas that is Madrid version who was much more of a goalscorer then a creator.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
even so, Ronaldo thrives with a different type + gio has 30+ Puskas that is Madrid version who was much more of a goalscorer then a creator.
Probably. Puskas was feeding off Kocsis and Di Stefano at 30+ age (he joined Madrid at age 31).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Disagree. At Real he continued to drop into the half-spaces, usually to release Gento down the left or combine with Di Stefano who continued to score 30-40 a season in the late 1950s. Both made the runs beyond Puskas that Ronaldo would also make. According to these figures he continued to rack up the assists at a similar rate to earlier in his career.

Granted there are estimated numbers in here, but these guys do their homework so it won't be far off the mark.

I'd agree that he wasn't as mobile as before, but I'm not aware of his positioning changing that much (in the way that Ronaldo obviously become more of a penalty-box player later in his career).

Seen Spain vs Brazil 1962 with Puskas recently, and I thought his false-nine-like moves & link up play were pretty amazing (and he was 35 at that point).

That said, I understand the false nine role as creating space for teammates making runs into CF positions. So my first question would be what people think of the Laudrup/Jairzinho/Czibor cast in that regard?

Šjor Bepo

Disagree. At Real he continued to drop into the half-spaces, usually to release Gento down the left or combine with Di Stefano who continued to score 30-40 a season in the late 1950s. Both made the runs beyond Puskas that Ronaldo would also make. According to these figures he continued to rack up the assists at a similar rate to earlier in his career.

Granted there are estimated numbers in here, but these guys do their homework so it won't be far off the mark.

I'd agree that he wasn't as mobile as before, but I'm not aware of his positioning changing that much (in the way that Ronaldo obviously become more of a penalty-box player later in his career).
There is a difference in how he played for Hungary and how he played for Madrid even if stats(most pointless thing ever) dont back it up, granted a more limited viewing of his Hungary time and both circus games but it did look like the stories we been told about him(unlike Kubala for example).
Im pretty sure Haaland had a good amount of assists last season and he is pretty much the ultimate unimaginative player. Its all pointless though as i said earlier that i dont think Puskas is what Cristiano needed nor vice versa, so even if you had the best pear version of Puskas id have the same opinion.