4 Way Draft - QF - Viper vs Zlatan

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
26-30

vs
26-30

Team Viper

First and foremost, every single player in the team was in their peak between the age of 26 and 30. So, we are getting the absolute best version of them. Now back to the tactics board, we will look to play an attacking-minded brand of football and maximize the ability of our players on the ball. Because Godín and Vogts aside, all of them were excellent playmakers on the ball who could impact the game either with their passing, crossing or ability to run with the ball at opposition defense.

In attack, we have an attacking quartet of Gerd Müller, Rivaldo, Luís Figo & Michael Laudrup. Up-front we have Müller, possibly the greatest goalscorer ever leading the line for us, while Rivaldo will play off him as a left sided second striker. He would come off the left flank like he used to with Brazil NT and at Barcelona and link up with the other attackers as well as look to create and finish chances. On the right, we have one of the Top-3 wingers of all time in Figo. A chance creating machine with his wizardry and crossing, Figo is the perfect winger in this team. Laudrup will be the No 10 in this team. With the license to orchestrate the attacks from midfield as well as in final third, Laudrup can drop deep, grab the ball from midfield and find the openings, either to Figo or Rivaldo on the flanks or the through-balls for Müller to latch on to.

In central midfield, we have a double-pivot of Paulo Roberto Falcão & Frank Rijkaard. Falcão is one of the greatest central midfielders of all time and Rijkaard is, well, the greatest defensive midfielder ever. Falcão's playmaking and passing would complement really well with the physicality, tenacity, energy and reading of the game of Rijkaard. And with Laudrup dropping deep, Rijkaard, Falcão and Laudrup will link-up and create all sorts of havoc with "pass & move" football in midfield.

The defense comprises of Andreas Brehme, Franco Baresi, Diego Godín & Berti Vogts with Gordon Banks as the goalkeeper. Whats even there to talk about Baresi? The GOAT "pure" defender. Anticipation and reading of the game second to none. A leader amongst men, Baresi would be tasked with marshalling and organizing our backline. Baresi was also very good on the ball and would look to initiate attacks from the back. And having his old mate Rijkaard there, along with whom he had great synergy, we would be very tough to break down. Partnering him at the back would be the Godín. A modern-day great, Godín was a fantastic stopper in his prime. A no-nonsense defender who was as physical as they come but was also quite disciplined. He was aggressive but wasn't reckless. On the flanks we have the German full-backs duo of Brehme and Vogts. Two of the greatest full-backs of all-time, but both quite different from one another. However, they are exactly what the team needs. Brehme was an outstanding crosser of the ball and can create from deep at will. And with Müller lurking in and around the penalty box, we are a threat every time the ball is out on the flanks with Figo on the right and Brehme on the left. Vogts as right back, offers us great balance with our defense, as having a defensive minded RB ensures we would have men behind when we get him on the counters. After all Vogts was a defensive wall and one of the greatest markers ever. Rounding up the team we have Banks in goal. A shot-stopping extraordinaire and a very commanding goalkeeper, who also is England's greatest goalkeeper ever.

Team Zlatan's Son

Almost the same line up again

Desailly sitting as the covering defensive midfielder allowing redondo to be more of then playmaker from deep, I think redondo would do ok on the left of midfield and will certainly help nullify attacking threat down that side as well as capable of driving forward with the ball. Same goes for the tenacious seedorf on the other side, he would also likely be drifting out wide in attack when going forward

It’s as solid as a back line as you’re likely to find, cole and Thuram with excellent defensive ability and going forward playing a wingback kind of role. Centre backs a proven all time partnership.

and the attacking 2 are drool worthy now with the support of zizou.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
@The Red Viper

Pedant question - why did you decide to put Baresi at LCB rather than RCB?
Actually before the match-ups were announced, thats what I wanted to do. Because with Vogts as RB, we would have had a defender who could be a quasi-CB if needed.

However, I presumed Zlatan would have Romario start on the right and Raul on the left going by his previous formation. So, wanted Baresi there vs Romario, as he as marked Romario in 1994 as well as anyone has and that was when he was at the tail-end of his prime. And with the way Zlatan has set-up there's not much pace, width or creativity on his right flank, so Baresi won't exactly have to worry about some RWF's making runs beyond Brehme on the counters, when he has gone for an overlap.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@The Red Viper

I’m pretty sure that Baresi usually played as a left center back? For Milan at least, it was Maldini - Baresi - Costacurta - Tassotti more often than not.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Actually before the match-ups were announced, thats what I wanted to do. Because with Vogts as RB, we would have had a defender who could be a quasi-CB if needed.

However, I presumed Zlatan would have Romario start on the right and Raul on the left going by his previous formation. So, wanted Baresi there vs Romario, as he as marked Romario in 1994 as well as anyone has and that was when he was at the tail-end of his prime. And with the way Zlatan has set-up there's not much pace, width or creativity on his right flank, so Baresi won't exactly have to worry about some RWF's making runs beyond Brehme on the counters, when he has gone for an overlap.
I think seedorf would be more than happy to exploit some space on the right during an attacking phase an Thuram would be no slouch on the overlap.

you have a good team there, I’ll reply further shortly

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I also think desailly would do a great job of taking laudrup out of the game and minimising any major threat from him. Muller wouldn’t create much movement other than in the box so you’re relying a lot on rivaldo to work some openings or figo supplying muller from out wide?

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
@The Red Viper

Because Franco was mainly an LCB for us during his prime years. During his prime, he played alongside Maldini on the left side. While on the right side, these pleasant duties belong to Mauro Tassotti and Billy Costacurta. Godin from what I've watched was an LCB alongside Luis on the left side too. I think the reason is Baresi uses a weaker foot better than Godin, and he is probably better than Godin in terms of building up from the back and passing the ball directly from Viper's penalty box. Baresi also has a mighty pace to cover Godin, when he is beaten by Zlatan's big-name attackers like Romario or Raul. Being a left center-back side for me, if both are right-foot like Baresi and Godin, the left-side center-back will have an easier time covering the RCB than RCB covers LCB. Again being a left center-back will help you a bit in terms of perspective about positioning, intercepting, and covering attackers for right-foot center-back.

Another one I think Viper tries to duplicate the idea of Baresi-Billy to Baresi-Godin. Baresi is a covering cb and Billy/Godin is a stopper. Franco could play superbly for both sides, and he had demonstrated his ability as RCB a lot of times. Godin also could play at RCB too.

Last edited:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I’m pretty sure that Baresi usually played as a left center back? For Milan at least, it was Maldini - Baresi - Costacurta - Tassotti more often than not.
Yes, he usually played as an LCB everyone knows( and you know for sure). However, on some occasions when Paolo played as CB, he would move to RCB. The best example was World Cup 1994 final. Maldini when he played as a cb always played on the left side in both stoppers in back 3(LCB) and 4( partnership with Franco) or covering cb role( could interchange with Nesta depending on the situations and games).

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Yep. But I don't think he would be out of place as a RCB either. Its not like he was a heavy on his left foot CB like a Passarella or Chiellini etc.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I think seedorf would be more than happy to exploit some space on the right during an attacking phase an Thuram would be no slouch on the overlap.

you have a good team there, I’ll reply further shortly
TBH bro, whole Seedorf was good and he would be threat but my point its not like say a Kalle or Salah etc who can exploit it with Baresi per-occupied with Romario.

Thuram wasn't garbage going forward and IMO he could definitely play as a RB. But I don't think he is ideal in this diamond set-up you're using.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I also think desailly would do a great job of taking laudrup out of the game and minimising any major threat from him. Muller wouldn’t create much movement other than in the box so you’re relying a lot on rivaldo to work some openings or figo supplying muller from out wide?
Yeah. Your defense is extremely good and won't be easy for me to penetrate but with Brehme overlapping and providing width from the left and you're forgetting Falcao's creativity and runs from midfield, there will be openings which my team can exploit.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
There’s a lot of focus on baresi and I agree he class and can play wherever you want to put him. I struggle to see where you’re getting your creativity and goals from

prolifik

There’s a lot of focus on baresi and I agree he class and can play wherever you want to put him. I struggle to see where you’re getting your creativity and goals from
Apart from Figo, Laudrup, Müller, Rivaldo, Falcão, and Brehme, he's going to struggle mightily...

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Because Franco was mainly an LCB for us during his prime years. During his prime, he played alongside Maldini on the left side. While on the right side, these pleasant duties belong to Mauro Tassotti and Billy Costacurta. Godin from what I've watched was an LCB alongside Luis on the left side too. I think the reason is Baresi uses a weaker foot better than Godin, and he is probably better than Godin in terms of building up from the back and passing the ball directly from Viper's penalty box. ฺBaresi also has a mighty pace to cover Godin, when he is beaten by Zlatan's big-name attackers like Romario or Raul. Being a left center-back side for me, if both are right-foot like Baresi and Godin, the left-side center-back will have an easier time covering the RCB than RCB covers LCB. Again being a left center-back will help you a bit in terms of perspective about positioning, intercepting, and covering attackers for right-foot center-back.

Another one I think Viper tries to duplicate the idea of Baresi-Billy to Baresi-Godin. Baresi is a covering cb and Billy/Godin is a stopper. Franco could play superbly for both sides, and he had demonstrated his ability as RCB a lot of times. Godin also could play at RCB too.
TBH both Baresi and Godin were quite two-footed. The main thing about having a left footed CB is usually in possession because usually its easier for the LCB to move the ball at a slightly quicker tempo. But when you have a CB like Baresi who was so elusive with the ball and smart at finding the openings, it won't be an issue.

Honestly, its not an issue most of the times anyway because there are only a handful of good left footed CBs usually. Most of them are right footed who end up playing there.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I think creativity would be an issue, mate.

Like I said, you have Rivaldo and Brehme on the left, both of whom were outstanding playmakers at their positions and Figo on the right.

Yes, Desailly won't make it easy for Laudrup but there's also Falcao who was very creative. And Rijkaard wasn't exactly a Makelele either. He was another one who was very good on the ball and when he had the chance could break the lines and make penetrating runs.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Viper's reinforcements really address his previous weakness.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Zlatan has a good team but that Viper side is absolutely stacked from front to back whilst working very well tactically.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

That makes a lot of sense.

Because Franco was mainly an LCB for us during his prime years. During his prime, he played alongside Maldini on the left side. While on the right side, these pleasant duties belong to Mauro Tassotti and Billy Costacurta. Godin from what I've watched was an LCB alongside Luis on the left side too. I think the reason is Baresi uses a weaker foot better than Godin, and he is probably better than Godin in terms of building up from the back and passing the ball directly from Viper's penalty box. ฺBaresi also has a mighty pace to cover Godin, when he is beaten by Zlatan's big-name attackers like Romario or Raul. Being a left center-back side for me, if both are right-foot like Baresi and Godin, the left-side center-back will have an easier time covering the RCB than RCB covers LCB. Again being a left center-back will help you a bit in terms of perspective about positioning, intercepting, and covering attackers for right-foot center-back.

I defer to your better knowledge but I'm sure in the number of games I have seen Baresi most recently he played RCB even with Maldini at LB. Also I remember Maldini being more attacking than Tassotti so having Baresi at RCB seemed to make more sense.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Viper's reinforcements really address his previous weakness.
Yep, Rijkaard is probably the most transformative upgrade we've seen in this round so far. I sometimes wonder if he's overrated to some extent on here, as I don't really see him as being on a different plain of ability compared to other top midfielders, but he invariably looks so good at balancing out any top-heavy midfield setup.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yep, Rijkaard is probably the most transformative upgrade we've seen in this round so far. I sometimes wonder if he's overrated to some extent on here, as I don't really see him as being on a different plain of ability compared to other top midfielders, but he invariably looks so good at balancing out any top-heavy midfield setup.
You're right. Defensively, Desailly in DM is better than Rijkaard. And here, he's the debut-22 y.o. Rijkaard, if I'm not mistaken.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
You're right. Defensively, Desailly in DM is better than Rijkaard. And here, he's the debut-22 y.o. Rijkaard, if I'm not mistaken.
No no.

Its Peak Rijkaard. Will be 26-30 which will be his Milan years.

Also, I would say Desailly is a better destroyer than Rijkaard but he isn't a better midfielder. Rijkaard could do close to a lot of the stuff Desailly did but what separates him and makes him so great is he could do a lot more in midfield. Obviously him and to an extent Gullit and Lothar do tend to get overrated a bit because of how all-rounded they were, but its understandable when you consider their games would transition well to any era or system or style.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Nah, unless I've misinterpreted it this is the 26-30 version, which encompasses the end of his first Ajax stint, two European Cup wins under Sacchi, and his Euro 88 win.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I stand corrected then @Pat_Mustard and @The Red Viper . Thought that he was Himman's guy before, so debut-22.

Anyway, I don't know how much better Rijkaard is compared to other enforcers. Even Neeskens is deemed as this madman who sometimes couldn't follow tactic, of which totally different then what I thought I saw when watching Ajax old games.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Even Neeskens is deemed as this madman who sometimes couldn't follow tactic, of which totally different then what I thought I saw when watching Ajax old games.
The Neeskens view is a minority one - Sjor I think holds a similar view to me.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well done viper, great team you’ve got there.

I’ll have to have words with my young one, not happy with his performance here:lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I thought baggio and Raul may have occupied the same space

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I went with ribery so I had two wingers in my squad to maybe put doubt into how I’d line up but that didn’t matter anyway

Himannv

I thought baggio and Raul may have occupied the same space
Baggio more to the left and Raul more to the right I think. Generally Baggio is just the perfect option when you have attackers playing in a trio. He's incredibly versatile and can either play on the ball as a dribbler or drop into the hole and create chances for others. Maybe even both. If he hogs the ball, it's not for personal gain but to draw players to him and then release it to others who are in space.

Also, I just really like the idea of him and Romario playing together because they were my two favourite players in the 94 WC.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Baggio more to the left and Raul more to the right I think. Generally Baggio is just the perfect option when you have attackers playing in a trio. He's incredibly versatile and can either play on the ball as a dribbler or drop into the hole and create chances for others. Maybe even both. If he hogs the ball, it's not for personal gain but to draw players to him and then release it to others who are in space.

Also, I just really like the idea of him and Romario playing together because they were my two favourite players in the 94 WC.
Naa. I think @Zlatan 7 made an error not replacing Raul.

Raul between 26-30 had his worst seasons of the career. No point having him there. Just get Baggio and play him up-top alongside Romario with Zidane as the no 10. It would have been perfect. Zlatan's defense is elite but he lacked the firepower needed to ultimately win. Baggio would have helped there.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Naa. I think @Zlatan 7 made an error not replacing Raul.

Raul between 26-30 had his worst seasons of the career. No point having him there. Just get Baggio and play him up-top alongside Romario with Zidane as the no 10. It would have been perfect. Zlatan's defense is elite but he lacked the firepower needed to ultimately win. Baggio would have helped there.
That's fair about Raul but Baggio was really at his best between 22-26. It was downhill from the 1994 World Cup. Granted Baggio played better at an older age than Raul but still.