40s Draft QF3 : Joga Bonito 13-12 Invictus

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mani

Two well constructed side and good write up for both the players,its really difficult to choose between these two.I better stay away from voting.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Team #2 forfeits the match at half-time. Good luck in the next round team #1!

- Signed
Team #2.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is forfeiture not allowed mate? If so, then my bad. You can close the poll when the 24 hrs voting window is over. But if it's permissible, then we choose to forfeit now. Team #1 is the deserving winner here.

Well played @Joga Bonito! Good luck in the next round. :)

Moby

Dick
Is forfeiture not allowed mate? If so, then my bad. You can close the poll when the 24 hrs voting window is over. But if it's permissible, then we choose to forfeit now. Team #1 is the deserving winner here.

You can forfeit, it is allowed.

Why do you choose to, though, if you don't mind?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Great game lads. Holding fire on my vote until we're clear what's going on with this forfeiture stuff.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You can forfeit, it is allowed.

Why do you choose to, though, if you don't mind?
See, the thing is, there are some fundamental, unfixable issues with the team that have come to light - those will persist even if we progress (very, very slim chance). A few of the players would do better on other teams (mainly Eusébio, Van Hanegem, Jairzinho - have high hopes for the trio). So forfeiture makes sense now, in that it will strengthen the player pool, and make the rest of the tournament more exciting for the neutrals, and I can root for these players on other teams. :D

Of course, we could wait till the deadline is over, but in terms of results, a loss is inevitable, and expected. Prolonging things would serve no real purpose.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Of course, we could wait till the deadline is over, but in terms of results, a loss is inevitable, and expected. Prolonging things would serve no real purpose.
You wrote the same to me before you kicked my ass ;). Just let it play out and if you win the game, the issues can't be that fundamental and unfixable anyway.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Team #2 forfeits the match at half-time. Good luck in the next round team #1!

- Signed
Team #2.

See, the thing is, there are some fundamental, unfixable issues with the team that have come to light - those will persist even if we progress (very, very slim chance). A few of the players would do better on other teams (mainly Eusébio, Van Hanegem, Jairzinho - have high hopes for the trio). So forfeiture makes sense now, in that it will strengthen the player pool, and make the rest of the tournament more exciting for the neutrals, and I can root for these players on other teams. :D

Come on mate, there are three hours left and it's as close as it can get. Don't forfeit what has been a great match. I apologise if I was too harsh on your team but there really isn't much wrong with your team. There aren't fundamental and unfixable issues there, just the one slight issue of Mazzola-Eusebio. As the opposition manager, I had to point it out and perhaps even scrutinise it further than it deserved - name of the game and all. However, even those (including me) who have had issues with that duo, have just claimed it is a partnership that should work, just perhaps not at their optimum level. Now obviously many others have bought that duo functioning and have voted for you (it's 12-10 with 3 hours to go) and it obviously is a divisive topic which has brought about some very good discussions. Even if you progress all you'd ultimately just need to replace Mazzola (worse case scenario, given that there are voters who think they'd function together). So ultimately, it's just a minor issue in what is a grand team and is not worth forfeiting over.

So seriously, don't forfeit mate and come on a loss in not inevitable. There are just 2 votes in it!

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Close the pole Mr. @Aldo (srs).

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
@Joga Bonito

I have a problem with Beckenbauer being able to venture forward as much as he would like to profit from the partnership with Netzer. If he marauds forwards like he did for Germany he would leave a 3 vs 3 situation with Schwarzenbeck going face to face with Eusebio. Also, Van Hanegem is probably the best passer in this match. No offence to Netzer, who I have really grown to like in this draft, but Van Hanegem was the Netherlands best passer and the facilitator of their attacks. He also played himself out of pressure very easily on multiple occasions (The 1974 compilation from Invictus would show that).

I feel that Mazzola and Eusebio would work a treat together. Mazzola was a SS in the sense that he would drop deep from the striker position and help in midfield. Eusebio was a SS in the sense that he would push up from deeper and occupy positions that a proper striker would. I think they would work seamlessly together and really would create a dynamic attack.

On the flip side for you though, I think you have the two best players here (Beckenbauer and Netzer) and I reckon that both will have absolute stormers in these roles that you have put them in.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Close game but I went for Invictus as I prefer his midfield and attack.

I don't think the Eusebio/Mazzola partnership is that much of an issue - I think Invictus' defence could be improved though, as it's a little bit weak at this stage.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I have a problem with Beckenbauer being able to venture forward as much as he would like to profit from the partnership with Netzer. If he marauds forwards like he did for Germany he would leave a 3 vs 3 situation with Schwarzenbeck going face to face with Eusebio.
That is a valid concern but Beckenbauer would be playing a more reserved role here. In tighter games, Beckenbauer was willing to play a more disciplined game (such as the game against England at Wembley) but the pertinent point here being that their combination was still brilliant even when they both weren't surging forward.

It was Netzer and Beckenbauer’s blind understanding that was at the heart of Germany’s wonderful performances, the two combining a total of 20 times in the England match alone.
They were complete and intelligent playmakers in that they could tailor their gameplays according to the matches that they were involved in. So whilst Beckenbauer is playing a slightly more reserved role here, I was just keen to point out that he wasn't just staying at the back and spraying passes about but that he chose his opportunities more carefully, as he had Netzer ahead of him who was capable of dictating the team single-handedly if need be.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Great game @Invictus . It's quite honestly a tremendous team that you've built and your write-ups have been nothing short of a joy to read. Hope to see more of you in the future drafts.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Good luck in the semis mate. Deserving winner here, 13-12 is pretty flattering all things considered, thank god it wasn't a tie by the end! :lol:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Good luck in the semis mate. Deserving winner here, 13-12 is pretty flattering all things considered, thank god it wasn't a tie by the end! :lol:
No it wasn't. Both teams were very well made and both write ups were great. I feel you got a bit of a raw deal here with Mazzola and Eusebio being targeted whilst everyone ignored Jairzinho.

Still, both teams were brilliant and Joga deserves to go through for his Netzer write up alone. Managed to win me over and convince me that Netzer was really one of the best in the game.