40s Draft R1 : Gio/Theon vs ctp | Gio/Theon win 10-7!

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Team Gio/Theon

WHY WE WILL WIN:
  • Stronger spine. Rivelino is ctp's top boy and ranks a respectable 31st in the IFFHS Greatest South American Player rankings. But we've got Teo Cubillas at 17th and Elias Figueroa at 8th - as well as Pedro Rocha at 37th. And that's not including the European shining lights such as Kazi Deyna - the greatest Pole of all - Asparuhov, 8th in the 1965 Ballon D'Or, and considered the greatest Bulgarian of all-time, and Bulgarelli, the man Capello ranks as the greatest Italian midfielder of all-time. Fundamentally there is a decisive quality gap.

• We will overwhelm Team ctp with the endless creativity boasted by Pedro Rocha, Kazi Deyna and Teo Cubillas. The combination play will be too hot to handle. Each of Clodoaldo, Bulgarelli, Asparuhov and Anczok down the left are a technically gifted support cast who fit in terms of style and in providing the hard-working and physical platform for success.

• Considering the opponent's strengths, Ctp is solid on the flanks but we should be able to cancel him out there. At the back Don Figueroa stands imperious and should run the show.

• We fancy the technical and physical Gundi Asparuhov to get the better of the centre-halves he's facing. Asparuhov has previous in scoring against Mezsoly at the World Cup and should thrive on the creative service he'll receive in order to repeat that feat here.

TEAM GIO/THEON

TEAM CTP

Team ctp

BEAUTIFUL FOOTBALL - NO ITALIANS ALLOWED

"Attack! Attack! AttacK!" goes a famous United chant. My team is set up to deliver just that kind of football, relentlessly attacking, flying wingers, lots of goals, and a genius at the heart of it all.

Great dribbling and the ability to beat a man one-on-one will be key to my team's success, with the best player on the pitch at the centre of it. Rivelino, who starred for what is perhaps the greatest international team of all time, Brazil's 1970 World Champions, will be a threat every time he gets the ball, drawing defenders and opposition midfielders to himself. Then he'll beat them on the dribble and go on one of his dangerous runs into the box to try and score, or - as that won't work all the time - he'll pass to a teammate who runs into the space Rivelino created. Oh, and he's a great free kick taker, too - better not foul my attackers too much.

If one player like that is hard to deal with, how about two more? On the right is Reinhard Libuda, nicknamed "Stan" for his Matthews-esque dribbling, one of the greatest German wingers of all time and probably the only player who has bridged the divide and is a legend for both Schalke and Dortmund. He is an old-fashioned winger, who'll be beating his full-back all game and creating chances for others to score. Libuda is not a prolific scorer, but he scores important goals, like the winner for Dortmund in the CWC final 1966, sealing the first European trophy for a German club.

He is joined, on the left side, by River Plate legend Oscar Más. "Pinino" is a more direct player, quick and blessed with a rocket of a left foot. Another fantastic dribbler. He's a prolific goalscorer, too, with 169 goals in 309 games for River Plate. Más will look to beat his opponent, then score himself, but also get on the end of chances the others create. He has licence to move about and drift into the centre, switching positions with Rivelino and Heynckes up top.

Jupp Heynckes completes the attack. A great German striker who had the misfortune of peaking at the same time as Gerd Müller, he's sometimes overlooked, but he'll be the main striker for my team. Heynckes is the third highest scorer in Bundesliga history and was an important part of Gladbach's brilliant 70's side that beat Bayern domestically more often than not. I'm looking to take advantage of his intelligent movement, be it when he's playing on the shoulder of defence to make runs and finish off attacks, or when he's dragging players out of position to create space for the others. As part of that tactic, he will sometimes move wide, switching positions with Más. Heynckes played on the wing at times in his career, and will make that work brilliantly.

The ball doesn't start upfront, so there's need of some more players. Manuel Velázquez Villaverde will be the maestro in midfield. A Real Madrid canterano, he was an important part of the all-Spanish Real side post Puskas-di Stefano alongside players such as Gento, Amancio, and Pirri. He's one of those players who play the game at their own pace, never hurried, never pressured. A sublime passer of the ball, he will find attackers in space and give my them the platform to perform.

My midfield is completed by total football's Wim Jansen. A mainstay in the great Dutch side of the 70's and his club PSV, Jansen will bring the tactical intelligence and tireless running to cover any open spaces my team needs. Where the others are focused on attacking, Jansen - who is no slouch in that regard either, he'll do his share for the build-up - adds the necessary focus off the ball. Note that he won't be a classic defensive midfielder, sitting in front of the defence, he'll add support all over the pitch, wherever he's most needed.

The rock solid pairing of Klaus Fichtel and Kálmán Mészöly is at the centre of my defence. It's a kind of classic stopper and libero combination, with Mészöly, who played both at centre back and centre half able to step out of defence to intercept and disrupt attacks, and Fichtel mopping up behind him. Mészöly was a key player for Vasas SC in Hungary, winning multiple league titles and Mitropa Cups, as well as the Hungarian national team, finishing third at the Euros and twice in the quarters at the World Cup. His strength in the air and in the tackle earned him the nickname "the Blond Rock". Fichtel, one of the best Bundesliga defenders of his day, had the misfortune of having Beckenbauer in his position for the national team and getting caught up in the Bundesliga bribery scandal of the early seventies, which didn't allow for an extensive international career. He's not a great playmaker like other liberos, more of a brilliant defender capable of hitting a good long ball - and maybe finding his clubmate Libuda with it. Not much will get past the two.

They are joined on the flanks by Silvio Marzolini and Horst-Dieter Höttges. Marzolini is considered by most the best Argentine leftback off all time - "Zanetti, but better" is a good description. Tall and elegant, he is a great defender, but also very good going forward. He'll resume his wing partnership with Más from the Argie international team - at club level they were rivals, Marzolini spent his career at Boca. In terms of style, Höttges is the opposite. My grandfather likes to bring up Höttges when complaining about modern players being too soft. Höttges is a hard tackling defender, very physical and strong. In his younger years he was good at supporting the attack as a fullback, before moving to the centre later in his career. One thing is certain, it will hurt to go up against him.

In goal is Bilbao legend José Ángel Iribar, one of the best ever Spanish keepers and longterm member of the national team, the last bastion of defence.

They'll have a job to do with the way the team is set up, but I'm confident that my defence is good enough to keep the score down and my attack will bang them in, so that we can say to any team: We'll outscore you!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
LADISLAO MAZURKIEWICZ

Not only is the Uruguayan keeper one of the greatest of all time, importantly for us he has a proven partnership with both of the central defenders in front of him. Together with Elias Figueroa they won everything the club game could offer for Penarol's legendary vintage of the 1960s. And with Antilo Anchete the pair shone internationally for Uruguay, keeping three clean sheets in the four games en route to the semi-finals in 1970 having kept six in a row for the national team a year earlier. Outstanding again in 1974 when he prevented Holland running up a cricket score against an otherwise ageing Uruguay side.

ELIAS FIGUEROA

The complete defender.

Recognition:
IFFHS Best South American Defender ever, IFFHS Best Chilean Player ever, IFFHS 8th Best South American Player ever, 6 times Best Centre-half in the Americas (1972-77), 4 times Best Centre-Half in the World (1974-77), 3 times Best Player FROM the Americas (1974-76), 2 times World Player of the Year (1975-76), Best Centre-half at 1974 FIFA World Cup, 3 Times Best Player in the Uruguayan League, 2 Times Best Player in the Brazilian League (ahead of Falcao, Zico, Rivelino, etc.), Best Foreign Player in the history of Brazilian Football.
Franz Beckenbauer said:
I'm the European Figueroa.
Daniel Passarella said:
Beckenbauer and Figueroa have been the only defenders who were better than I.
Carlos Alberto Parreira said:
I do not hesitate when saying Elías Figueroa was the best defender ever in world football.
ATILIO ANCHETA

Athletic centre-half who was exceptional in the air and led a miserly Uruguay defence to the semi-finals in 1970. Earned a spot in the all-star team for his efforts at Mexico '70 and also won the player of the season award in 1973.

ALEKSANDER SHALAMANOV
World-class sportsman who was part of the skiing team in the 1960 Winter Olympics and part of the volleyball team for the 1964 Summer Olympics. With that in mind, unsurprisingly physical, imposing and tough to beat. Two-time Bulgarian Player of the Year.
Defending against Jairzinho

And Eusebio

ZYGMUNT ANCZOK

Classy and dynamic left-back who was inspired by Giacinto Facchetti - "it was the beginning of TV broadcasts. I watched him when I was 17-18 - I always wanted to play just like him." Played superbly on his debut for the national team, a World Cup qualifier win against Scotland in front of a 107,000 crowd in Glasgow. Produced some fine performances against Brazil and Argentina during a tour of South America and an "amazing" performance against England in July 1966. "I was 21 - the English were preparing for the World Cup. I played a sensational match, winning the ball all the time, running around Alan Ball in front of me. I played very quickly, had a lot of shots on goal." That year he was elected as Polish Player of the Year. Chosen for the 1971 world all-star team for Lev Yashin's final match, Anczok was the only Pole to feature in all of the matches in qualifying for and winning the 1972 Olympics. May well have been more of a household name had his time at the top not been ultimately curtailed by injuries in his mid-to-late 20s.

CLODOALDO

Holding midfielder whose positional discipline and brilliance on the ball played a key role in Brazil's 1970 World Cup winning vintage. "Hard tackles" were what he considered as one of his main qualities, but his ability to marry steel and silk was what set him apart from the majority of midfield cloggers. This was no better illustrated than his skinning of four Italians in the build-up to Carlos Alberto's famous goal or in driving forward to grab the crucial equaliser in the semi-final against Uruguay.

PEDRO ROCHA

One of the greatest Uruguayans who commands a regular spot on the nation's all-time XIs. Creative playmaker who featured in four World Cups, winning 8 league titles, 3 Copa Libertadores and 2 World Intercontinental Club Cups with Penarol.

The Observer said:
Whether performing as a midfield link man or as an out-and-out striker, the Uruguayan moved with a casual and sinuous grace, at his best seeming to drift past opponents at will, displaying control, imagination and precision at the creative core of the team. There was dynamite as well as silk in the Rocha repertoire, and he was capable of erupting suddenly and explosively, delivering powerful shots with either foot. His critics accused him of slowing the play unduly, but if his style could seem languid, still it was a delight to the eye.

GIACAMO BULGARELLI

One of only 10 post-war Italians inducted into the national Hall of Fame and one of Gianni Rivera's top 10 Italian players, Bulgarelli turned down some tempting offers to stay with his beloved Bologna, with whom he inspired to their last league title in 1964. Proper box-to-box midfielder who possessed the all-roundedness of the best of the breed - hard-working, influential, solid off the ball, neat, tidy and purposeful on it.

Fabio Capello said:
He was the best midfielder Italy ever had. He could win the ball, he could score goals - he was a leader on and off the park.
KAZIMIERZ DEYNA

3rd in the Ballon D'Or in 1974, behind a couple of other blokes called Johan and Franz, (and 6th in 1972 and 1973), Deyna was one of the greatest European players of the 1970s. A household name had he not been born the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, the languid Pole shimmied around opposing midfielders like Zidane and passed like Platini. That meant Deyna often had to show off his talents for the national team, where the silky midfielder rattled in a mightily impressive 42 goals in 97 appearances.

Brian Kidd said:
He was sublime. So elegant. Such an excellent manipulator of the ball. He had so much guile and sophistication. People talk about the technique of the influx of foreign players these days. Kazi was way up there.

TEO CUBILLAS
Major talent who fired in 10 World Cup goals in 1970 (where he was voted the best young player) and 1978. Full of pace, punch and pep, the Peruvian packed plenty of end product, plundering almost 340 goals during his career. A unanimous choice as the greatest Peru player of all time - the architect of their greatest ever tea, and ranked 17th in the continent by the IFFHS - ahead of some real legends like Romario, Falcao, Spencer, Rivelino and Rocha.

GEORGI ASPARUHOV

One of the outstanding centre-forwards of his generation who has been voted as the greatest Bulgarian player of all-time (even higher than Hristo). Brought presence to the front line combing an imposing frame (his 6ft 1' build contributing to his potency in the air) with exceptional technical ability that often saw him dance around the lunges of desperate defenders.

Sandro Mazzolo said:
When I first heard of Asparuhov's demise, I started to cry. Why would fate take away the life of such a great footballer? I could not sleep all night, I was seeing him play against Belgium in my dreams. I fell in love with the great player he was.

Eusebio said:
I craved to play alongside Asparuhov. In the game between Benfica and Levski he conquered Lisbon. No other player had scored two against us at home before him. Asparuhov was the first.

GIGI MERONI

Diminutive right-winger whose career was tragically cut short by a car accident at 24. Often called the Italian George Best, Meroni shared the winger's dazzling dribbling on the park and hedonistic lifestyle off it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I like Gio's individuals better but have a little problem with Cubillas/Rocha/Deyna playing together tbh.

ctp

At first glance, I'm liking Gio's attacking fullbacks, my wingers will be very happy. Also, my left side, the most dangerous with Más, Rivelino, Heynckes causing chaos and Marzolini supporting, is up against the right side of his defence, an attacking fullback and Ancheta (i.e. not Figueroa).

ctp

Something on a lesser known player on my team - Oscar Más

Some guy on the PES stats forum said:
Pinino Mas was the best Left Winger of Argentinian football

Here he is scoring two and assisting one in the best Superclásico in history:

And another quote
Some other guy said:
One of the top scorers in the history of River and the Argentine soccer. Its very powerful free kicks will be remembered forever for Argentina fans, waterfalls and leaping to hit hardest at the ball, but also remember his tremendous skill and imagination to create plays that could only leave his head.
Everything and always with the same intention ... A single premise ... A single goal. The goal. That's fantastic Pinino healthy obsession.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good to see some of that Mas footage. But I reckon Shalamanov is well placed to negate what Mas brings to the table. Physically he's a hell of a specimen. Look at the way Jairzinho and Eusebio - two world-class athletes - bounce off him when dispossessed in the GIFs below. It's also very rare for a full-back to win a country's player of the year award - and he's done it twice.

Against Jairzinho

And Eusebio

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
At first glance, I'm liking Gio's attacking fullbacks, my wingers will be very happy. Also, my left side, the most dangerous with Más, Rivelino, Heynckes causing chaos and Marzolini supporting, is up against the right side of his defence, an attacking fullback and Ancheta (i.e. not Figueroa).
Given our overall technical quality, we see our team largely controlling possession. In any possession-dominant set-up, the full-backs will support the midfield. In our set-up Anczok and Shalamanov will take turns to overlap depending on the flow of the game, while the other can sit in to operate as a three. Equally though we want to allow Elias Figueroa the chance to get on the ball, so there may be occasions when he dictates play from deep, and our full-backs both sit in. The main points are that:
  • we adapt to the needs of the game - intelligent all-rounders in key roles like Figueroa, Clodoaldo, Anczok, Bulgarelli
  • play to our strengths - get the great ball-players in our midfield to run the show

ctp

Good to see some of that Mas footage. But I reckon Shalamanov is well placed to negate what Mas brings to the table. Physically he's a hell of a specimen. Look at the way Jairzinho and Eusebio - two world-class athletes - bounce off him when dispossessed in the GIFs below. It's also very rare for a full-back to win a country's player of the year award - and he's done it twice.

Against Jairzinho

And Eusebio

To be honest, I'd never even heard of the guy before the draft. These two gifs are all I've seen of him, and he might well have been that good all the time. Then again, he might not. Más is an excellent winger and even if Shalalalov wins most of the time, he will get through at some point, especially when I overload the left side with movement from Rivelino and/or Heynckes.

On the general quality of Bulgarian fullbacks I have a video of Libuda that I'll post later. Very enlightening. I just checked, your man is subbed on in that game, might even be in the video.

ctp

Oh, and @Aldo, I protest the mis-spelling of my name in the thread title! :nono:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I like Gio's individuals better but have a little problem with Cubillas/Rocha/Deyna playing together tbh.
Yeah it's an interesting point and I think there are two issues to consider. The first is - are they playing roles that they are suited to? Our view was absolutely. As a slightly deeper playmaker, Pedro Rocha is a natural fit at the hub of things. He spent much of his career playing behind three attackers. Both Cubillas and Deyna are good at operating into the channels, particularly between the full-back and centre-half. Cubillas in particular excelled coming in from the left, or dropping into the left of midfield to pick up the ball, before carrying it dangerously towards goal and unleashing that right peg. The second is - do they work well collectively and with the players behind and in front of them? Our view again was definitely. We wanted to dominate the ball and that trio would enable us to achieve it. Collectively they will feed off each other: lots of synergy with a very complementary line-leader in front of them. Importantly, the three have got very distinct roles: Rocha as the central, deeper playmaker; Deyna floating up and down the inside-right channel, helping to offer transitions going forward; Cubillas a pacier and punchier threat, effectively a left-sided support striker, dynamic and penetrative.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To be honest, I'd never even heard of the guy before the draft. These two gifs are all I've seen of him, and he might well have been that good all the time. Then again, he might not. Más is an excellent winger and even if Shalalalov wins most of the time, he will get through at some point, especially when I overload the left side with movement from Rivelino and/or Heynckes.

On the general quality of Bulgarian fullbacks I have a video of Libuda that I'll post later. Very enlightening. I just checked, your man is subbed on in that game, might even be in the video.
I looked through a lot of footage of right-backs and Shalamanov stood out for that physicality and sense of purpose about his game. And often that was against some real legends of the game, like in the footage above, and not just against some of the lesser mortals like Mas - fine player though he was.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Here's our centre-forward Gundi Asparuhov scoring against the opposition's centre-half in the 1966 World Cup:

Enigma_87

You know who
as an outsider viewer I think ctp just edges it everywhere else bar wingers and central defence.

Rivelinho, Velasquez, Jansen and on top a great goalscorer in Heynckes, just edges it for me.

ctp

Here's Gio's centre-forward Gundi Asparuhov not scoring against the opposition's other centre-half in the 1970 World Cup (not really, it's a Libuda video, but that still happened in the same game - feat. Bulgarian quality defending):

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
as an outsider viewer I think ctp just edges it everywhere else bar wingers and central defence.

Rivelinho, Velasquez, Jansen and on top a great goalscorer in Heynckes, just edges it for me.
Fair enough for voting - IMO there isn't much between the strikers either way although I would give the edge to Asparuhov. I also think Asparuhov is tactically an excellent fit here - he was pretty much exactly the sort of physical, technical centre forward we were after in order to get the best out of the creative trio in behind. He's well set up to get the better of that backline himself whilst also knocking the ball down for Cubillas, Deyna and Rocha.

I genuinely don't see how Ctp edges it in midfield at all though. It's fair to say that there isn't much between Clodoaldo, Bulgarelli and Jansen (although IMO it would probably be in that order) but surely Velasquez is the worst of the bunch.

Cubillas is tied with Rivelino as the best attacker on the park - with Figueroa the best overall player - whilst Pedro Rocha is right up there in that tier himself. He even manages to sneak onto our favourite Uruguayan's All-Time National XI which is no mean feat given the country's footballing history.

Not a typical Uruguay formation, but the one that best fits the cream of the crop.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:nervous: Pretty shocked at the score - It was 4-1 when I last checked and I genuinely believe we have the better defence, midfield and attack here.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cracking write ups and discussion so far from the managers. Not a dig at anyone else, but after all the discussion about essay-sized write ups I liked Gio getting the job done very effectively with a few paragraphs :lol:.

As far as the match itself, I'm edging towards Gio but there's alot to like about Ctp's team too. Heynckes looks a good choice of striker as he's so fast and mobile, and comfortable operating all across the frontline. He likely won't get much joy out of Figueroa but I can see him positioning himself off Gio's other defenders instead. I really rate Jansen as well. Lovely, subtle player, and probably the pick of the central midfielders from what I've seen.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I decided to tie it up because I don't have the stones to decide this game in any way at all.

Tuppet

Decided to vote early, as its a tight match and I'll most likely chicken out later. I like Gio's team, it definitely has more quality than ctp's team player to player. What I don't like is how Deyna, Rocha and Cubillas are lumped together. I think his team would have benefitted massively by an out and out winger especially since Gundi's physicality and Aerial ability is being lauded so much. That would have given him another very effective route.

I feel Deyna and Rocha especially very similar and Cubillas while a bit more direct, still likes to operates in similar areas, and that would limit their effectiveness to a certain level. After reading on ctp's players a bit I think the fall in quality is not that great and Rivellino whould have better game than all other great number 10s here, so decided to go for ctp.

I will say its insanely close, just because the overall quality of Gio/Theon team.

ctp

For those who speak German (or want to use Google Translate), here's a nice interview with Horst-Dieter Höttges, including a brilliant quote on Libuda:

Your most difficult opponent?
Stan Libuda. But only at Schalke. There the guy regularly pissed on me, he even was too quick for me to tackle him over the side line in revenge. Away from home Stan was a different player. There I really should have handed him a roll of toilet paper every time, so often did he shit his pants.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Jupp Heynckes completes the attack. A great German striker who had the misfortune of peaking at the same time as Gerd Müller, he's sometimes overlooked, but he'll be the main striker for my team.
Heynckes was a fine player and deserves his day in the sun in this draft. But let's not forget that he largely played second fiddle to Gerd Muller in the national team and it was Elias Figueroa who so unforgettably tamed the great Muller in 1974.

Enigma_87

You know who
Fair enough for voting - IMO there isn't much between the strikers either way although I would give the edge to Asparuhov. I also think Asparuhov is tactically an excellent fit here - he was pretty much exactly the sort of physical, technical centre forward we were after in order to get the best out of the creative trio in behind. He's well set up to get the better of that backline himself whilst also knocking the ball down for Cubillas, Deyna and Rocha.

I genuinely don't see how Ctp edges it in midfield at all though. It's fair to say that there isn't much between Clodoaldo, Bulgarelli and Jansen (although IMO it would probably be in that order) but surely Velasquez is the worst of the bunch.

Cubillas is tied with Rivelino as the best attacker on the park - with Figueroa the best overall player - whilst Pedro Rocha is right up there in that tier himself. He even manages to sneak onto our favourite Uruguayan's All-Time National XI which is no mean feat given the country's footballing history.
To be fair I think Heynckes edges it when you consider the different levels, leagues international success. I know Asparuhov's career has been unfortunately cut short and that he couldn't play in a foreign league, but the former one would have more experience leading the line.

In midfield I agree that Velasquez is worst of the bunch, but for me Rivelinho is the best of the bunch(admittedly based on only one world cup as impressions of him) and Jansen is pretty handy in that formation, while Velasquez would be a bit like Carrick in that formation.

The wings I think overall you have the upper hand, as well in CB with obviously Figeroa, the full backs IMO is your weakest spot and for GK I don't know much about either to be fair.

Good luck to both, really close call.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cracking write ups and discussion so far from the managers. Not a dig at anyone else, but after all the discussion about essay-sized write ups I liked Gio getting the job done very effectively with a few paragraphs :lol:.

As far as the match itself, I'm edging towards Gio but there's alot to like about Ctp's team too. Heynckes looks a good choice of striker as he's so fast and mobile, and comfortable operating all across the frontline. He likely won't get much joy out of Figueroa but I can see him positioning himself off Gio's other defenders instead. I really rate Jansen as well. Lovely, subtle player, and probably the pick of the central midfielders from what I've seen.
Aye. Less is more and let's tease out more detail about the players in the match thread where it's needed.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
When you've got such a technically gifted attacking midfield trio, you want a pair of central midfielders who can both play and give the stars a platform to perform. Clodoaldo did just that in 1970 and contributed decisively at key moments such as when Brazil were behind in the semi-final against Uruguay, arguably the team's most crucial goal of Mexico '70.

And when your defensive midfielder can do this, you are bound to dictate the game:

Alongside him, Giacamo Bulgarelli was a massively influential player, inspiring Bologna to the Serie A title (a feat they've not come close to repeating since). In any realistic all-time Italian XI (where Tardelli isn't single-handedly holding a midfield with Baggio and other flair players), you'd have him or Benetti in there doing the box-to-box graft.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To be fair I think Heynckes edges it when you consider the different levels, leagues international success. I know Asparuhov's career has been unfortunately cut short and that he couldn't play in a foreign league, but the former one would have more experience leading the line.
I'm not sure. The beauty about Asparuhov is that he proved himself not just in the Bulgarian league, but also in European Competition including against top oppposition, and at international level against top defences. His record on the continent is great - 19 goals in 23 European games, and 23 in 35 'international club matches'. In an era when Eastern European players were simply unable to jump west and show off their class in a more accessible league, those sort of credentials are impressive.

But as a line-leader he stand out as well. He offers real physicality - he had a big frame and was a great at playing the back-to-goal target man. See here how he bullies the World Champions' defence in 1968:

He was also technically very gifted - scoring a wide range of goals, headers, volleys, long-range strikes off either foot.

He'd fit like a glove leading the line in the modern game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One thing I'd like to highlight was just how good Poland were in the 1970s. Not only were they 3rd in the 1974 World Cup, they often got the better of Holland (unbeaten in 6/8 games during Deyna's career). Probably the most stunning example of this was in 1975 when the Dutch were turned over 4-1 by a swashbuckling and relentless Polish side. At the hub of it all was Kazi Deyna, taking apart a midfield of Neeskens, Van Hanegem and his opposite number today Wim Jansen.

One moment that told a story of the way Kazi Deyna played was not a typical example of his elegance or silky skills, but this midfield interception late in the game, followed by a 60-yard run, and then grafting it back in to get back into position. It's brilliant box-to-box play and, when combined with his technical ability, is why he was such a fearsome opponent and so influential for a hugely under-appreciated Polish side.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not that Holland were the only national team put to the sword at that time. England were turned over in qualifying with Deyna dictating the game and generally looking a cut above:

And Italy too were defeated, with Deyna rifling a delightful one in from 20 yards.

And so were Rivelino's Brazil, in the third-place play-off.