40s Draft R1 : NM/EAP 11-3 Marty1968

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Team NM/EAP

Formation: A balanced 4-3-3.

Brief tactics :

The star of the defence is obviously Facchetti, the best LB of this draft. No further introduction needed. He is supported by Luis Pereira, one of the greatest Brazilian CBs and Bosquier a rock solid French defender. Anquilletti is known for his strength, positioning, marking ability, anticipation, and his ability to read the game; he also excelled in the air and was confident on the ball and at distributing it to team-mates.

Shielding them us Nobby Stiles, who also needs no introduction here. Genius in stuffing out attacks (and attacking players), he'll be the anchor of the midfield. Ahead of him operate Martin Peters, a WC winning midfielder and De Sisti whose tireless energy and engine would earn him the nickname ‘Picchio’ (‘Woodpecker’), a Roma Hall of Famer! Between these three we have the right balance of defence, attack and work rate to be successful.

The attack is led by Luigi Riva, arguably the greatest Italian striker of all time. Rombo di Tuono (Roar of Thunder)" and part of the Italian Euro 1968 winning team, scoring a goal in the final and included in the Team of the Tournament. Italy's record goalscorer and the greatest #9 the Italian National Team has ever had, Riva was voted the 6th, 2nd and 3rd best player in the world during '68, '69 and '70. Formerly a winger before moving up top, Riva was quick, with exceptional movement and finishing ability.

Supporting him on the left is one of the most successful Bulgarian player of all time, "the poet of football" Dimitar Yakimov. Versatile in playing IF or CMF , great dribbling skills, and incredible goal ratio for a deep lying player he'll link superbly with Facchetti for a lethal left flank!

On the right Jair repirises his famous role in Grande Inter, one of the best club teams of all time. With the ability to man the flank on his own, versatile to drift wide or cut in, he'll thrive off Riva and will more support from Anquilletti than he did with Burgnich in Inter.

Overall it's a finely balanced side without obvious flaws. It's a fine tuned machine that's incredibly hard to break defensively and has the flair and threat to win matches offensively!

TEAM NM/EAP

TEAM MARTY1968

Team Marty1968

My team is set up to play either as a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 in the same way that Brazil used to. A rock solid defence with one of the greatest keepers the game has ever seen, as well as the most underrated (possibly along with Ronnie Hellstrom). Jurgen Croy had excellent positioning, reflexes, was strong, athletic and very calm under pressure. Also wasn’t afraid to command his area. Had this guy been playing for ‘West’ instead of ‘East’ Germany, he may well have been ahead of Maier – he was that good.

In front of Croy, one of the best assembled defences in the draft. Two tough defenders in the middle with pace, awareness and strength, combined with Brazilian flair on both sides who excelled at getting forward as well as defending. My defence would make it tough for even the best strikers in the draft and won everything in the game between them.

Capello, Gerson, Geels, Grabowski and Cubilla provide everything I could want in a midfield. Hardworking, no nonsense stuff from Capello, pace on both wings. Grabowski renouned not for his trickery but for doing the basics extremely well. Cubilla on the other hand had bucket loads of flair, vision and skill.

Alongside Capello I have one of the best distributors the game has ever seen. Gerson is my king and the heartbeat of the team. In front of him I have real attacking threat from Geels and the man Pele himself said was better than him in the box – Coutinho.

Without the ball my team shapes up as a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1. With the ball it can very easily turn into a 4-3-3 or 4-2-4.

Why I would win.

Fantastic spine running through the team with an outstanding keeper, two great centre backs, two great centre-mids in Capello and Gerson and an outstanding striker in Coutinho.

Great width in my team with wonderful full backs (the best right back in the draft) and two wingers who loved to hug the touchline.

Rock solid defence with cover in front from Capello who could run all day long.

Multiple attacking options either through full backs, wingers, sublime creativity from Gerson or Geels and Coutinho up front, both of which had incredible records.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
First thoughts,

Gerson is facing the woodpecker De Sisti, whose tireless engine will hound out Gerson who was not mobile anyway. He needs time and space which will be denied here. With Stiles on Geels, the attack and distribution in centre us under severe stress and will not function effectively.

I expect Jair to get better of Everaldo and even Carlos Alberto will find it hard to keep Facchetti / Yakimov out full match.

His CBs are world class, but my superiority in the flanks and midfield will definitely win this for me.

Marty1968

Let's start with some player profiles first then for those of you who haven't heard of a couple of my players.

Jurgen Croy - Made his international debut at just 20 years old, winning 94 caps for East Germany. Came to prominence at the 1974 world cup when he kept a clean sheet against the West Germans and produced a series of outstanding saves throughout the tournament. The 1974 team had built upon the foundations laid by the Olympic squad of 1972, who had walked away with the Bronze medal in Munich, and in 1976 they went all the way and won Gold at Montreal.

On the domestic front, Croy won his second East German Cup Final with BSG in 1975, enjoying a run to the Semi-Final of the Cup Winners' Cup the following season. And it was during this period that the outstanding shot stopper was elected East German Football of the Year three times, in 1972, '76 and '78.

East and West German media alike often placed him on an equal footing with his contemporaries Sepp Maier and Dino Zoff, two of the game's all-time legends.

Carlos Alberto – Best right back in the draft! A true leader on the pitch, Carlos Alberto Torres was one of the finest defensive players in the world in the 1960's and 1970's and won many honours at club level, as well as leading perhaps the finest national team of all time.

Carlos Alberto started his career at Fluminense, and helped the club to a suprise success in the Rio State Championship in 1964. After breaking into the national team that same year, he signed for Santos in 1965 where he would line up for many years alongside Pelé. In his first year the club won the São Paulo State Championship, a title they won again for three years in a row from 1967 to 1969, also winning the Torneo Roberto Gomes Pedrosa in 1968.

By the time of the 1970 World Cup finals in Mexico, Carlos Alberto was the captain of the Brazilian national team and he led his country in all six matches as they swept to a magnificent victory. He became the last captain to lift the Jules Rimet Trophy having scored the last goal in the final against Italy. After a short spell with Botafogo, he won his fifth São Paulo title with Santos in 1973.

Returning briefly to Fluminense and winning another Rio State Championship in 1976, he had a short spell with Flamengo before moving to the U.S.A. to finish his career. Spending four years with the New York Cosmos, Carlos Alberto won three North American Soccer League titles before moving to the California Surf, although he returned to New York in 1982 to win another N.A.S.L. title before retiring in 1982.

Roberto Rosato – Rock solid defender who played at the heart of the Milan defence during one of their most successful eras. Won almost all there was to win including 1 Serie A, 3 Copa Italia’s, the European Cup, 2 Cup Winners Cups and the European Championships in 1968.

Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck – This guy is perfect to lead my back line. Strength, work rate and good old German efficiency. Winner of 44 caps for Germany, this guy won pretty much everything there was to win! The World Cup in 74, European Champs in 2, 6 Bundesliga titles, 3 European Cups, a Cup Winners Cup and 3 German Cup medals.

Spent his whole career at one of the best sides in Europe (Bayern), playing over 400 times, creating a perfect partnership with Der Kaiser for club and country. With him, Beckenbauer and Maier, the trio formed the nucleus of Bayern’s successful team in the 70’s, all three of which had risen from the youth teams at the club in the same way Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Muller have today.

Everaldo Marques da Silva – Excellent full back who was agile and quick. The Gremio left-back helped Brazil win Group 3 at the 1970 FIFA World Cup, nullifying the dangerous Alan Ball in a 1-0 win over defending champions England that many thought would’ve been a fitting final. He then played in the 3-1 win over Uruguay in the semi-finals and 4-1 win against Italy in the Final, becoming the first Gremio player to get his hands on sport’s most coveted trophy.

O Tricolor Gaúchoswiftly added a gold star to its flag in honour of a man who was fundamental in their capture of three consecutive state titles in the mid-late 1960s. And upon his return from Mexico, Everaldo was paraded through the streets of Porto Alegre, suited stylishly on top of a flashy truck, applauded by masses ofGremistasand even fans arch-rivals Internacional.

Sadly he died at just 30 years of age in a car crash in 1974 while driving the Dodge Dart he received as a gift after winning the World Cup.

Gremio are known asO Imortal (The Immortal). That gold star ensures the legend of Everaldo will live on infinitely.

Regarded as one of the finest left-backs of all time and pairs up perfectly with Carlos Alberto and Gerson to complete my trio from the team of the century.

Marty1968

Capello – Wonderfully gifted player who worked as hard as anyone on the pitch. Tough, tenacious and a great passer. Won the Serie A three times with Juventus and again with Milan as well as two Copa Italia’s with Roma and Milan.

Goalkeeper Dino Zoff, a close friend and colleague for club and country, used to call Capello "the surveyor" because "he understood all the angles and diagonals".

Legendary Italian defender Franco Baresi said that as a player, Capello "was like a policeman directing traffic".

Giovan Battista Fabbri, who was his first professional coach at Spal, paints a portrait that England's players may well recognise. "From day one, he told his team-mates what to do, how to move, where to go. Even as a kid he was a manager on the pitch. He had ability, but also a confidence and a poise you rarely see. He wasn't afraid to make himself heard. He'd often tell me, his boss, what to do. Always politely, of course, but firmly."

Gabriele Marcotti explains the player he was: The 1967 season at Roma emphasised the impact of Capello. After 8 matches, Roma were unbeaten and top of the league. Capello had been outstanding until he injured his left knee. It may have been coincidence but without him Roma went into free-fall finally finishing 10th, just 5 points above relegation.

Two years later, the 1969-70 season began under a cloud. Helenio Herrera, the autocratic, highly paid manager remained at loggerheads with the club. The players were in the middle. At 23 Capello wasn’t going to take sides either way, but it was clear he owed a lot to Herrera.

Increasingly, on the pitch, Capello was taking Roma by the hand and growing as a leader. He was very much Herrera’s man on the pitch, the guy who would execute the manager’s wishes. One match stands out in the mind of Giovanni Battista Monti, who for three decades would serve as Milan’s team doctor. It was 16th October 1969, Roma were the visitors to the San Siro.

Milan were reigning European Champions and Roma went there are beat them 3-2. “Piero scored two, Capello the other. But what I remember most was that they (Roma) taught us a lesson in football. Capello was simply perfect that day, dominating the pitch.”

“His technique was exceptional, he was a gifted passer who could put the ball anywhere he liked. I think he had a natural sense for the rhythm of a game. Coupled with his strong personality, it made him a natural leader.” – Team mate Fausto Landini. (Capello: Portrait of a Winner - By Gabriele Marcotti)

Gerson - This guy is the heartbeat of my team. Everything runs through him. He’ll orchestrate the defence, command the midfield, dictate the pace of the game and provide the lynchpin for any attacks. With pace, aggression and trickery all around him Gerson is absolutely perfect for my team.

There could be no more fitting a place to begin my journey than on the cluttered surface of Gerson’s boardroom battleground. Brazil may have planned their assault on Mexico 1970 with more sophisticated tools than miniature coffee cups. Yet then, as now, Gerson was its tactician supreme. Inside his balding head beat the brain of the beautiful team.

For many, Gerson’s influence was even greater than that of Pele. Watch closely the videos and you cannot fail to be struck by how many of the Brazilian moves flowed through him. Time after time he would pick the back up around half-way and launch one of his fiendish, flighted passes into the opponents’ half. Time after time the ball would fall at the feet of the man all of Brazil called furacao ‘the Hurricane’, Jairzinho, or on the chest or head of the man they called o rei ‘the King’, Pele.

Above all, the tapes remind you of how Gerson utterly dominated the later stages of the Final. Somehow the Italians barely bothered to mark him as he lurked deep in the first half. As Hugh McIlvaney memorably wrote, it was akin to handing an arsonist a box of matches and a can of petrol. Sure enough Gerson set fire to the game in the second half, scoring with a magnificent shot and setting up another with a perfect pass to Pele who set up Jairzinho for the third. As the world packed its bags and left Mexico, he was the first name on everyone’s team of the tournament.

For all his greatness, however, he remained something of a mystery. On the pitch we saw him coaxing and cajoling, directing and dictating. Yet off it Gerson preferred to stay in the background, the brooding, enigmatic genius.

During his rare appearances in front of the Brazilian press, he offered a combination of Henry V and Hamlet. Gerson talked that language of the battlefield rather than the football field. “Their defence will not be so naïve. They will not play a straight line across the field like old-fashioned soldiers,” he predicted before Brazil’s match against England. Just one match into the campaign Gerson has been in no doubt: ‘This is the match that stands between us and our third World Cup.’

When interviewed some years later, Zagalo emphasised Gerson’s impact on the team. ‘He was the player I most identified with. From working together at Botafogo, I could just make a gesture to him from the touchline and he would change things, like a coach on the field. He was the one I trusted most.’

Some of you will refer to him as a chain smoker who couldn’t run but that would be far too short sighted a view. Gerson possessed the intelligence and ability to control a game without the need to race up and down the pitch. He was the conductor of the orchestra, the kingpin of the midfield and the engine and brain of the whole team.

With Capello and one of the strongest defences in this draft behind him, Gerson will be able to focus on controlling the game as only he can.

Ruud Geels – An outstanding forward with deadly accuracy in front of goal. Top scorer in the dutch league four seasons in a row between 1974 and 1978 with 30, 29, 34 and 30 goals respectively.

Also top scorer in the 1975 UEFA Cup with 14 goals in just 6 games!!! In total he scored 153 in 166 games during these four years!

Fantastic in the air and a wonderful first touch from the videos I’ve watched of him. Would play just behind Coutinho and just in front of Gerson.

Luis Cubilla – IFFHS named him the 11th-best South American player of the 20th century, above the likes of Ronaldo, Romario and Roberto Rivelino.

Best player in the Uruguay team at the 1970 world cup with a wonderful assist in the quarter final against Soviet Union and excellent finish against Brazil in the semi-final.

One of the most successful players to come out of Uruguay in the post-Second World War era, Luís Cubilla also achieved great success as a coach during a career in football lasting more than forty years. Cubilla's career began in the late 1950s with Peñarol, and during six seasons with the club he won five league titles and helped the club to two wins in the Copa Libertadores, scoring a crucial late goal in the inaugural final in 1960 to clinch the trophy.

After crossing the Atlantic to play for Barcelona in 1962, he soon returned to South America to join River Plate in Argentina. After five years with River, Cubilla moved home to Uruguay to play for Peñarol's rivals Nacional. During his time at Nacional he won four more league titles and a third Copa Libertadores in 1971, as well as helping the national team to the semi-finals of the World Cup in Mexico in 1970, where he gave them a shock lead against Brazil before the favourites came back to win 3-1.

After a brief spell in Chile with Santiago Morning, Cubilla ended his playing career in Uruguay with Defensor, with whom he won his tenth and last Uruguayan title in 1976.

Jurgen Grabowski - Bundesliga: 441 matches, 109 goals
International: 44 caps, 5 goals
A fine winger, Grabowski usually played on crap Frankfurt teams, but nevertheless managed a good international career with the great German squad of the early 1970s. Very direct and ran England ragged when he came on as sub in the 1970 world cup, where he was one of the main factors which helped West Germany turn the game around.

Antônio Wilson Vieira Honório - Coutinho

Scorer of 370 goals in 457 games for Santos, he and Pele formed one of the greatest strike partnerships ever. Nicknamed Gênio da Pequenaárea “Genius of the small room”, he had outstanding dribbling and finishing skills inside the box. Pele himself once declared that “Coutinho within the area, was better than me. His coolness was something supernatural."

Coutinho has often been praised by Pele, who said “A great deal of my success was in no small way because of Coutinho, whom I consider one of the greatest teammate I have ever had in soccer. He was a brilliant reader of the game and his ability was great.” – The World of Pele: Joe Marcus (1976)

Coutinho was supposed to be the main striker of the Brazilian team in the 1962 World Cup but he was injured on the eve of the competition and lost his place to experienced Vava, a World Cup winner from 1958.

Marty1968

Video showing my keepers agility.

Some rare footage of Coutinho...

Marty1968

First thoughts,

Gerson is facing the woodpecker De Sisti, whose tireless engine will hound out Gerson who was not mobile anyway. He needs time and space which will be denied here. With Stiles on Geels, the attack and distribution in centre us under severe stress and will not function effectively.

I expect Jair to get better of Everaldo and even Carlos Alberto will find it hard to keep Facchetti / Yakimov out full match.

His CBs are world class, but my superiority in the flanks and midfield will definitely win this for me.
Is that the same De Sisti who gave Gerson so much space in the 1970 final? Gerson ran the show and De Sisti and Mazzola didn't have an answer. Gerson may not have run around all day but that's because he didn't have to. His brain was constantly working and much like Scholes in his later years, or Pirlo/Zidane, he had the vision and ability to be able to move around the field without being picked up. Finding yards of space is what Gerson did best and with his vision and attacking players around him he'd have plenty of options.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Is that the same De Sisti who gave Gerson so much space in the 1970 final? Gerson ran the show and De Sisti and Mazzola didn't have an answer. Gerson may not have run around all day but that's because he didn't have to. His brain was constantly working and much like Scholes in his later years, or Pirlo/Zidane, he had the vision and ability to be able to move around the field without being picked up. Finding yards of space is what Gerson did best and with his vision and attacking players around him he'd have plenty of options.
That 1970 team was special. You don't have the players to compare to that. Here De Sisti is in a midfield trio of Stiles and Martin Peters. The whole midfield is industrious and has the work rate to keep Gerson quiet.

Jair will consistently come out on top with Everaldo. With Facchetti overlapping and Yakimov cutting in, I don't think even CA can keep them out all game.

And Anquilletti being the Conservative of our fullbacks is perfectly placed to handle Cubilla.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Beforehand I had NM as a winner, but now, looking at the formations I'm not so sure.

Marty1968

That 1970 team was special. You don't have the players to compare to that. Here De Sisti is in a midfield trio of Stiles and Martin Peters. The whole midfield is industrious and has the work rate to keep Gerson quiet.

Jair will consistently come out on top with Everaldo. With Facchetti overlapping and Yakimov cutting in, I don't think even CA can keep them out all game.

And Anquilletti being the Conservative of our fullbacks is perfectly placed to handle Cubilla.
That's where Grabowski fits in perfectly in front of Alberto. Grabowski was not a rampaging winger who didn't track back. He knew his position and stuck to it, didn't drift all over the pitch. He would track Facchetti the whole game and be the first line of defence in front of Carlos Alberto.

Don't know enough about Anquilletti to judge how effective he would be against Cubilla. Maybe if you could provide a bio of him...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cubilla against Anquilletti does seem like a potential mismatch, but it would useful to hear a little more as to why or why not that might be the case.

NM

I'll post player profiles shortly, but will try to comment on Anquilleti soon. Sorry guys - I'm swamped at work​

NM

"The Eel"Angelo Anquilletti
Anquiletti was a successfulfull-back, who was known for his strength, positioning, marking ability, anticipation, and his ability to read the game; he also excelled in the air and was confident on the ball and at distributing it to team-mates. He has the 9th most appearances for Milan, and was part of the highly successful Schnellinger/Rosato/Trappatoni/Anquilleti defense.

I won't say he is excellent simply because he was part of a very good Milan team, but one doesn't hold the 9th most appeaarance record for Milan without being a very good player. I'll put more information on him when I'm not trapped by work

Marty1968

Anquiletti was a successfulfull-back, who was known for his strength, positioning, marking ability, anticipation, and his ability to read the game; he also excelled in the air and was confident on the ball and at distributing it to team-mates. He has the 9th most appearances for Milan, and was part of the highly successful Schnellinger/Rosato/Trappatoni/Anquilleti defense.

I won't say he is excellent simply because he was part of a very good Milan team, but one doesn't hold the 9th most appeaarance record for Milan without being a very good player. I'll put more information on him when I'm not trapped by work
In that case I'd argue its a pretty close match up. Anquilletti against the second best player Uruguay have ever had behind Schiaffino. Cubilla won 16 titles at multiple clubs, was the best player in the Uruguay team in the 1970 WC and his trickery would pose a constant threat for Anquilletti.

NM

In that case I'd argue its a pretty close match up. Anquilletti against the second best player Uruguay have ever had behind Schiaffino. Cubilla won 16 titles at multiple clubs, was the best player in the Uruguay team in the 1970 WC and his trickery would pose a constant threat for Anquilletti.
Agree it would be a good match up. I don't BS, so I wouldn't say Anquiletti would shut him down, I'm just saying it certainly isn't an easy route to goal as it was being protrayed a little bit.

NM

GK: Yevhen Rudakov
Rudakov was six-time domestic champion of the USSR. Rudakov also helped Dynamo win the USSR Cup twice, the Cup Winners' Cup and the UEFA Super Cup. He also represented the USSR national football team and helped them reach the Euro 1972 finals. At the Olympic Games 1972 he earned four wins and two shutouts.
Internationally, Rudakov earned 48 caps with the Soviet national team between 1968 and 1976, recording 35 shutouts.
He was nominated twice for the Ballon d'Or, in 1971 when he came 12th and 1972 when he came 18th.
Yevhen Rudakov club- Yevhen Rudakov club is an unofficial list of Soviet and Ukrainian football goalkeepers that have achieved 100 or more clean sheets during their professional career in top Soviet and Ukrainian league, cup, European cups, national team and foreign league and cup.This club is named after the first Soviet (Ukrainian) goalkeeper to achieve 100 clean sheets - Yevhen Rudakov.
Honors:
1969, 1971, and 1972 Best Goalkeeper of the USSR
1971 Soviet Footballer of the Year
1972 UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament

RB:

CB: Bernard Bosquier

2 Time Ligue 1 player of the year. Excellent at RB or CB, and also a great set piece taker. Regarded as one of the best French players of the 60s and early 70s.

Honors:

· French championshipWinner 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972

· Coupe de FranceWinner 1968, 1970, 1972

· Trophée des championsWinner 1967, 1968 & 1969

· French Footballer of the Year 1967 & 1968

CB: Luis Pereira

Consistently included in best Brazil squads and teams, Pereira was a quality center back.

· Campeonato Paulista(São Paulo State championship) in 1972 and 1974 withS.E. Palmeiras

· Campeonato Brasileiro Série A(Brazilian championship) in 1969, 1972 and 1973 withS.E. Palmeiras

· La Liga(Spanish championship) in 1977 withAtlético Madrid

· Copa del Rey(Spanish Cup) in 1976 withAtlético Madrid

LB: Giacinto Faccheti

On the left is the legendaryGiacinto Facchetti arguably the greatest left back at all time , he lifted the Euro 1968 trophy as captain to add to his multiple European cups. A man mountain of a defender who was like Maldini in defence but like nothing else we have ever seen going forwards, he was a genuine threat... a playmaker/goalscorer from left back. Doesn’t need an introduction

NM

DM: Nobby Stiles

Shouldn’t need much introduction on a United forum:

One of the best DM's in the draft. A midfield destroyer who excels in sniffing out attacks and breaking up opposition plays.WC winner who marked Eusebio out.

CM: Martin Peters

WC 66 Winner. UK's first 200k footballer, he was known as "the complete midfielder" as he could pass the ball well with either foot, was good in the air and difficult to mark because of his movement. A FK specialist to boot.Read more about him here

CM: Giancarlo De Sisti
Was awarded an ancient Roman helmet by Ultras. Giancarlo De Sisti was a leader and key figure at Roma during his era. After being spotted at Forlivesi, he joined the Roma academy at a very young age. That’s where his tireless energy and engine would earn him the nickname ‘Picchio’ (‘Woodpecker’). Roma won the 1964 Coppa Italia with him pulling the strings but De Sisti also made an appearance in the 1961 Fairs Cup-winning campaign. In 1965, Egisto Pandolfini convinced Fiorentina to purchase him. Roma let him go for 165 million Lira plus Benaglia. At the Viola, De Sisti contributed to an unforgettable era for the Tuscan team which culminated in the Scudetto. As soon as the opportunity presented itself however, he moved back to Roma, once again lighting up the Olimpico with his talent. A Roma supporter born and bred, his unending love for the club’s colors was always matched by the fans who still remember him fondly.

NM

RW:
Jair Da Costa, a lightning quick right winger best described"flew like horses propelled by wind and had quick feet to match." Not just any right winger, His pace and quickness always tormented opposition fullbacks and was also comfortable operating as right Inside Forward supporting the strikers scoring his share of goals too. Not just the kind of talented luxury winger that needs defensive support, Jair did a fair share of work deeper. He love to run at opponents and uses his pace and dribbling skills to great effect. This versatility and willingness to operate in the midfield is what made him so successful in a team that lacked a proper right back.

Known for his time with Grande Inter, he made that right flank all his own. With only part time support from Burgnich air da Costa would drop deep in order to help his defenders and in order to sometimes start attacks from right back position. In fact, in some moments it seemed that Jair controlled almost complete right side. With Facchetti marauding on the left flank, Inter usually played defensive on the right flank with Jair being the main instigator of lightning quick counters.

LW:
"the poet of football"
Dimitar Yakimov.

+ Versatile. Played SS/IF for country and AM/CM for his club.
+ Exceptional dribbling/passing skills
+ High defensive workrate. Played CMF and always helps out in defence.
+ Incredible goal rate for a deeper playing club midfielder!

The most successful Bulgarian player of all time, Hristo Stoichkov, has pointed out Yakimov as a big inspiration of his youth

CF: Luigi Riva

"Rombo di Tuono (Roar of Thunder)" and part of the Italian Euro 1968 winning team, scoring a goal in the final and included in the Team of the Tournament. Italy's record goalscorer and the greatest #9 the Italian National Team has ever had, Riva was voted the 6th, 2nd and 3rd best player in the world during '68, '69 and '70. Formerly a winger before moving up top, Riva was quick, with exceptional movement and finishing ability.

At club level he played his entire career not with Juventus, Milan or Internazionale - but with Cagliari on the Island of Sardinia. A great story, Luigi Riva led Cagliari to the Scudetto in 1970 - an exceptional achievement which the small club had never managed prior to Riva's arrival, or managed since his retirement.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Cubilla against Anquilletti does seem like a potential mismatch, but it would useful to hear a little more as to why or why not that might be the case.

To add to this, Bosquier was a CB who could play RB as well. Will definitely be comfortable helping out IF needed.

Marty1968

Can't see your centre half pairing and keeper being good enough to keep continho quiet for a whole game....better than Pele in the box...the main man said so himself (and Pele has been 'Mr Self Praise' his whole career). He never really gave many of his 'supporting cast' the credit they deserved so for him say this is a pretty big deal!

NM

Can't see your centre half pairing and keeper being good enough to keep continho quiet for a whole game....better than Pele in the box...the main man said so himself (and Pele has been 'Mr Self Praise' his whole career). He never really gave many of his 'supporting cast' the credit they deserved so for him say this is a pretty big deal!
It's not the keeper's job to keep anybody quiet.. he is there to make saves, and if you read the write up, he will make the saves. Bosquier and Pereira are very good CBs. Pereira especially. Add in the midfield protection, and I'm not too worried.

My wingers and Riva will do enough.. Add in Fachetti on the left and I'm golden.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Tough match this one. Really think NM/EAP's formation could have been presented better, right now it looks like a standard 4-3-3 when it would be slightly less organised with Facchetti slightly further forward, Anquiletti tucked in and likewise, Jair wider and slightly more withdrawn (since he loved attacking from deep and had a dynamic up-and down style) with Yakimov tucked in. Just a slight presentation issue but it can affect how others perceive the set-up.

Currently, not too sold on Capello being the ideal partner for Gerson, how good was he in terms of work-rate and defensive nous? From that write-up he seems more of a orchestrating midfielder than a complementary foil for Gerson. Would love more info on Geels's game off-possession as it is quite an industrious midfield trio that NM/EAP are sporting here. Love the wing-partnerships and the defense though. @Marty1968

NM/EAP have crafted a fine team but I'm not seeing that creative influence who can elevate that team and offense. Martin Peters was a fine all-rounder but he wasn't exactly a player who you would entrust with running a game and I would appreciate more info on Yakimov in this regard. @NM @Edgar Allan Pillow That midfield trio, in addition to Riva and the synergy in the flanks are pretty eye-catching though.

Can't separate either teams right now and will see how the discussions go, before voting.

Marty1968

It's not the keeper's job to keep anybody quiet.. he is there to make saves, and if you read the write up, he will make the saves. Bosquier and Pereira are very good CBs. Pereira especially. Add in the midfield protection, and I'm not too worried.

My wingers and Riva will do enough.. Add in Fachetti on the left and I'm golden.
i read the write up...my point by 'keeping him quiet' is whether he'll concede. And against one of the best strikers of that era he will do.

Marty1968

Tough match this one. Really think NM/EAP's formation could have been presented better, right now it looks like a standard 4-3-3 when it would be slightly less organised with Facchetti slightly further forward, Anquiletti tucked in and likewise, Jair wider and slightly more withdrawn (since he loved attacking from deep and had a dynamic up-and down style) with Yakimov tucked in. Just a slight presentation issue but it can affect how others perceive the set-up.

Currently, not too sold on Capello being the ideal partner for Gerson, how good was he in terms of work-rate and defensive nous? From that write-up he seems more of a orchestrating midfielder than a complementary foil for Gerson. Would love more info on Geels's game off-possession as it is quite an industrious midfield trio that NM/EAP are sporting here. Love the wing-partnerships and the defense though. @Marty1968

NM/EAP have crafted a fine team but I'm not seeing that creative influence who can elevate that team and offense. Martin Peters was a fine all-rounder but he wasn't exactly a player who you would entrust with running a game and I would appreciate more info on Yakimov in this regard. @NM @Edgar Allan Pillow That midfield trio, in addition to Riva and the synergy in the flanks are pretty eye-catching though.

Can't separate either teams right now and will see how the discussions go, before voting.
Here's a video of Italy v Argentina in 74. Capello had great workrate. Quite a few instances here where he sat just in front of the back four...with the occasional burst forward. Having Gerson, who didn't run up and down all day alongside him would actually benefit Capello. He'd defend when he needs to but then would also know that Gerson could cover when he romped forward.

My wingers/full back combo's would be tough to contain for a full 90 minutes.

Geels could be deployed either as a second striker or attacking mid. His goal to game ratio is crazy (almost a goal a game for 4 years in a row - that's better than Aguero!)

In midfield NM/EAP might have hard workers but the flair/vision from Gerson with Grabowski, Cubilla and Geels in front of him will help him create openings. I don't see where the midfield splitting passes are coming from on the opposing side.

Last edited:

NM

@Joga Bonito i agree formation could be better. Swamped at work and a big thans to EAP for helping me a lot here..

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Joga Bonito you are spot on with your formation suggestion. I usually prefer balanced formation in pictures and use tactics to explain.

Yakimov is the main creative focus up front. He's a versatile player who played deeper in CM for club and AM / IF for country. In my research I've found him being used interchangeably as left IF or as LCM with equal effectiveness. He's a excellent dribbles and is equally versed in dribbling past his man as he's with threading passes to his team. One aspect of his game that sultanas out is his ability to score. He's ranked amongst top club scorers despite playing deep.

Here he'll play a IF role with Facchetti overlapping on the outside and Martin Peters supporting from the middle. Being able to drift is a key advantage as it puts Carlos Alberto in between these two.

Posting through phone from a Starbucks is quite a nuisance and can't do much justice to posts or post videos.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Fabio Capello is the arguably the weakest midfielder on the pitch. He was a CM and not a defensive support the type Gerson needs. It's a unstable partnership at best. With De Sisti hounding there, I certainty feel my midfield has a big edge. With Geels facing a monster DM in Stiles, I feel his team will struggle a lot in the middle.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thought I'd make a quick representation on how the team functions...

- Facchetti is capable of manning the flank on his own. Here he has Peter and Yakimov tucked in but versatile to operate wide with equal effectiveness.

- Yakimov is a main creative outlet upfront. Versatile to drop deep, operate centrally or drift wide, his movement will be difficult to track and he'll find spaces to cause havoc. Excellent dribbler and brilliant goal scorer too!

- Anquilletti playing the defensive buffer to Cubilla. A excellent man marker, he has additional support IF needed from Bosquier who is comfortable out right himself!

- Jair doing his brilliant GRANDE INTER role. He can man the flank on his own and here he'll be in his prime position to deliver what he does best!

Apologies for the arrows. Am on my mobile and best I could come up with here.

Last edited:

NM

I'll make the formation tonight EAP. thank you