40s Draft SF1 : Gio&Theon vs Aldo

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Gio & Theon

WHY WE WILL WIN:
  • Better defence. Elias Figueroa and Bobby Moore are the standout central defenders in the draft (alongside the Kaiser) and in the top echelon of all time. Voted a record three time South American Footballer of the Year - Figueroa renews his partnership with his Penarol teammate Mazurkiewicz with whom they won all the club game could offer. Voted in the FIFA All Time World Cup XI as well as the World Team of the Century - Bobby Moore is equally impressive, quelling Eusebio in 1966, Pele in 1970 and making more recoveries of possession than any other player in the history of the World Cup.

• Better midfield. Based on the proven World Cup winning platform of Gerson and Clodoaldo, who dominated every midfield they faced in 1970, we should take control of the game from the middle of the park. The central midfield trio is boosted by the presence of playmaking genius Kazimierz Deyna - only Cruyff has created more chances in a World Cup than the silky Pole served up in 1974 (that puts him ahead of Maradona and Pele). With Cubillas darting around, the ball-playing excellence of Moore and Figueroa behind, the combination play will be too hot to handle.

• The greatest goalscorer of all time will be provided with the perfect platform to plunder goals. The collective creativity of the midfield behind, alongside the defence-stretching ability of Jairzinho and Cubillas, should give him the little service and space he needs to make the difference.Together Muller, Jairzinho and Cubillas have banged in over 1100 goals, netting 22 in the 1970 World Cup alone as the top three scorers. Importantly they are a complementary trio and will threaten Aldo's defence in a multitude of ways.

• Best and Pele won't get the service they need to have a match-winning influence. Aldo's full-backs will offer very little going forward, particularly if Vogts is on the wrong side dealing with Jairzinho, while his centre-halves will have their hands full with Muller and neither Pirri or Furino were known for their ability to pick a pass. Cubillas will drop into the inside-left channel, bolstering the midfield and cutting out any passing angles to the feet of Best. With a stronger set of possession players, all part of a cohesive ball-playing unit, just getting the ball to Aldo's top boys will be a challenge. And then they need to deal with Moore and Figueroa.

vs

Team Aldo

The team will be playing a 4-2-3-1 formation in this game, continuing from the previous one and we will be now looking for gaining higher control of the game in midfield and using the creativity and class of the attacking midfield to carve up the opposition.

Starting with the keeper, no introduction needed for our European Cup winning keeper. No one can forget the heroic save he made against Eusebio in the final. I strong and reliable keeper, he will be forming a watertight unit with the two centerbacks ahead of him.

Firstly, there is Hector Chumpitaz, one of the greatest defenders of all time and a standout one in this draft, the complete defender, Chumpitaz would provide a strong physical presence here as well as the sort of drive and determination you need from your centre half in this sort of a match. Partnering him is the "Iron Rinus", Rinus Israel, who compliments Chumpitaz perfectly in bringing the calm and collected presence at the back. Given how intelligent Muller is and trying to mark him wouldn't result in a huge difference, the key is to restrain the service provided to him and that is when having two great readers of the game in Chumpitaz and Israel has its benefits as they will be vigilant in not letting anything pass through to the German.

German legend, a contender for one of the greatest defensive fullbacks and man markers of all time, Berti Vogts joins the team and shores up right side of the defense. He will be playing as a man marker in this game, concentrating on keeping Jairzinho quiet. We all know his heroics in the 74 WC final against Cruyff, Jairzinho is another tricky opponent and clearly a star man in his attack and it deserves a man marking job. It is a great battle in this game which can clearly swing the balance, if Vogts can manage to curb Jairzinho's influence, and the service to Muller, it will greatly reduce his attacking threat.

Protecting the defence is the Italian workhorse Furino. Known as "Furia", Furino would provide endless reserves of tenacity and stamina and aggression, constantly winning the ball back and possessing good enough technical ability for a DM to turn defence into attack quickly.

Partnering him would be Madrid and Spanish legend and one of the best midfielders in the draft, Jose Pirri. An absolutely complete player, he has the tendency to be everywhere on the pitch and influence the game in both phases of the game. He will be sitting deeper in this game forming a double pivot with Furino, making a watertight shield for the back four as well as using his drive and energy to influence the proceedings and gain control of the game. Being as tactically aware and intelligent as he was, I expect him to make the crucial decisions in the middle of the park and dictate the game.

A bit of change has been made to the attack. Rivelino moves in centrally and takes the responsibility as the primary playmaker of the team. A mercurial talent, he was devastating through the middle often taking on players and threading in precise balls. Not a traditional #10, he was a determined hard working midfielder who always gave a hand to his teammates and his ability on the ball is well known. The Brazilian is often underrated when speaking of the all time great Brazilian legends, but he is right up there. A vital cog of the great 1970 Brazilian team.

The fifth Beatle, or whatever, George fkin Best. He is given a complete free role in the team to run absolutely anywhere across the frontline. He will be supplied the ball time and again by the rest of the team and run at players with pace and intent, leaving defenders for dead all over the place.

Onto the additions - 1. Dragan Dzajic, possibly the greatest Yugoslavian to ever play the game, and one of the greatest wingers of all time, alongside the likes of Gento and Best himself, on the left wing. Dzajic at his best was unstoppable with his great dribbling skills and close control at searing pace.

And 2. Pelé. Leading the line, the attack, the team. No shortage of goals in here, he doesn't have to completely be involved in the creative unit with the likes of Pirri, Rivelino, Dzajic and Best providing everything you can ask for, a younger Pelé, if you will, one who was an athletic phenomenon, specially given this draft is era specific, his physical advantages will be at full use in this game. While Figueroa and Moore is a great CB pair, they have a great task in hand trying to stop the Brazilian given the service behind them.

I believe the midfield battle to be close but with the class of Dzajic, Best, Pirri and Rivelino on the ball with all of them allowed the freedom to use the passing and creativity to the fullest means I would have an edge there on the ball. However what makes this midfield even better is the fact that Rivelino, Pirri and Furino combine a tremendous amount of energy, work rate, stamina and mental resilience. There's no shortage of steel and we can rough it up when we want to. There's very little weakness there and that should be a big factor in this game.

Gio and Theon have a great CB pair but having said that, the fullbacks are a tad underwhelming for a game of this stature. They are both against two of the greatest wingers of all time and they cannot let anything past them for an instance without risking the whole defense going out of shape and letting the likes of Pelé and Rivelino any space in and around the box. I believe that would be an area where my team would get some joy, and maybe even a match winning advantage.

With Vogts man marking Jairzinho, and a central core of Pirri, Furino guarding Israel and Chumpitaz there is very little the opposition can do when creating chances.

On the other hand my attack will have more joy against that back four, specially out wide. Sorry being a bit brief in the write up, I'l keep on adding once the match is underway. Good luck @Gio and @Theon

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Good luck @Gio @Theon @Aldo

Thanks for the short write-ups. It really was a joy to create this thread :D.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
LADISLAO MAZURKIEWICZ

Not only is the Uruguayan keeper one of the greatest of all time, but together with Elias Figueroa he won everything the club game could offer in Penarol's legendary vintage of the 1960's. Mazurkiewicz also shone for Uruguay internationally, keeping three clean sheets in the four games en route to the semi-finals in 1970 having kept six in a row for the national team a year earlier. Outstanding again in 1974 when he prevented Holland running up a cricket score against an otherwise ageing Uruguay side.

ELIAS FIGUEROA

The complete defender and widely considered the greatest ever from South America.

Recognition: IFFHS Best South American Defender ever, Best Chilean Player ever, 8th Best South American Player ever, 6 times Best Centre-half in the Americas (1972-77), 4 times Best Centre-Half in the World (1974-77), 3 times Best Player FROM the Americas (1974-76), 2 times World Player of the Year (1975-76), Best Centre-half at 1974 FIFA World Cup, 3 Times Best Player in the Uruguayan League, 2 Times Best Player in the Brazilian League (ahead of Falcao, Zico, Rivelino, etc.), Best Foreign Player in the history of Brazilian Football.

BOBBY MOORE

Unquestionably the greatest defender to ever hail from the British Isles and right up there with Baresi and Beckenabuer as the best the continent has produced, Moore was the complete defender - flawless in possession, fantastic in the tackle and an inspirational leader to boot who was made Captain of England at just 22 years old.

"He was the spirit and the heartbeat of the team. A cool, calculating footballer I could trust with my life. He was the supreme professional, the best I ever worked with. Without him England would never have won the World Cup."
Sir Alf Ramsey

ALEKSANDER SHALAMANOV

^^ Vs Jairzinho and Eusebio

Two-time Bulgarian Footballer of the Year and twice Bulgarian Sportsman of the Year - A World-class athlete, physically imposing and tough to beat one vs one. Also famous for being an all-round sportsman who was part of the skiing team in the 1960 Winter Olympics and part of the volleyball team for the 1964 Summer Olympics.

ZYGMUNT ANCZOK

Voted Polish Player of the Year and chosen for the 1971 World All-Star Team for Lev Yashin's final match - Anczok was classy and dynamic left-back who was inspired by Giacinto Facchetti's swashbuckling style and the only Pole to feature in all matches in the 1972 Olympic winning run.

Superb on his debut for the National Team in a World Cup qualifier win in front of a 107,000 crowd, Anczok produced some fine performances against Brazil and Argentina during a tour of South America and an "amazing" performance against England in July 1966 at the age of 21 - "I played a sensational match, winning the ball all the time, running around Alan Ball in front of me. I played very quickly, had a lot of shots on goal."

May well have been a house hold name had his career not been cruelly cut short by injury in his mid-20's.

CLODOALDO

Holding midfielder whose positional discipline and brilliance on the ball played a key role in Brazil's 1970 World Cup winning vintage. "Hard tackles" were what he considered as one of his main qualities, but his ability to marry steel and silk was what set him apart from the majority of midfield cloggers. This was no better illustrated than his skinning of four Italians in the build-up to Carlos Alberto's famous goal or in driving forward to grab the crucial equaliser in the semi-final against Uruguay.

GÉRSON

Second only to Pele in the best international team of all time, 1970 was a tournament in which Gerson was in complete control - dictating midfields with his customary elegance, vision and range of passing. Man of the match in the final against Facchetti's Italy when he swung the game in Brazil's favour with a barnstorming strike to take the lead midway through the second half.

Most famous for his technical and cerebral quality, his defensive game is somewhat under-appreciated with an aggression and commitment to the tackle not typical of the archetypal deep-lying playmaker.

KAZIMIERZ DEYNA

Voted 3rd in the Ballon D'Or in 1974, behind a couple of other blokes called Johan and Franz, (and 6th in 1972 and 1973), Deyna was one of the greatest European players of the 1970s. A household name had he not been born the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, the languid Pole shimmied around opposing midfielders like Zidane and passed like Platini. That meant Deyna often had to show off his talents for the national team, where the silky midfielder rattled in a mightily impressive 42 goals in 97 appearances.

TEO CUBILLAS

Major talent who fired in 10 World Cup goals in 1970 (where he was voted the best young player) and 1978. A dynamic player full of pace and punch, the Peruvian packed plenty of end product, plundering almost 340 goals during his career. A unanimous choice as the greatest Peru player of all time - the architect of their greatest ever team and ranked 17th in the continent - ahead of some real legends like Romario, Falcao, Spencer, Rivelino and Rocha.

JAIRZINHO

A deadly mix of winger and goalscorer, of dribbling and scoring, of stretching play out wide and overloading the centre, of nimble feet and powerful presence: Jairzinho brought together the full package. The only player to score in every match of a World Cup finals tournament.

GERD MULLER

The greatest goalscorer of all time. Boasts a devastating record on the highest stage: goals in the 1974 and 1975 European Cup Finals, in both of the 1976 semi-finals, winner in the 1970 World Cup quarters, two in the semi-finals, and further goals in the finals of Euro '72 and World Cup '74.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Gio's fullbacks vs Aldo's wingers. Very difficult to see past that. Great CB's but with pressure from wings and Pele ahead, I can't see them keeping Aldo out.
Vogts vs Jairzinho will be a standstill. Think the rest of his defence should be able to handle G/T's attack.

Have to give the edge to Aldo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Let's generate some interest here. While I rate Chumpitaz, I think him and Isreal have got a problem up against Gerd Muller. In the last round we somehow managed to squeeze out a draw, but mainly because we had Figueroa and Moore working overtime on Muller. Here we have a decent but clearly lower calibre of defender against the legendary goalsmith. And when they met in the 1970 World Cup, the result was Muller 3, Peru 1.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gio's fullbacks vs Aldo's wingers. Very difficult to see past that. Great CB's but with pressure from wings and Pele ahead, I can't see them keeping Aldo out.
Vogts vs Jairzinho will be a standstill. Think the rest of his defence should be able to handle G/T's attack.

Have to give the edge to Aldo.
In that spirit, there are other fairly pivotal mismatches on the park:
  • Muller v Chumpitaz/Isreal
  • Cubillas v Lawler
  • Deyna v Furino

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cubillas v Lawler

Teo Cubillas was one of the greatest ever at attacking the inside-left channel. I should know - he ripped Scotland to shreds in 1978. And that was a bloody good Scotland team. Not that it should have come as a surprise, he's the highest scoring midfielder in the history of the World Cup and excelled in two tournaments.

And who is he up against? Chris Lawler - who was a very good clubman for Liverpool before they got really successful. So how did he fare internationally? 4 caps for a second-rate England side in the 1970s. Okay that's a little concerning. And does he have any individual honours to justify his presence in a draft semi-final? Well he was in the 1977/78 Fourth Division Team of the Year (at the same time Teo was unplayable in Argentina '78).

Obviously he was a solid enough player in the context of the English leagues. But this is a draft semi-final where there is world-class quality all over the park. The stakes are higher and he's a weak link.

NM

Too many names in Aldo's team. His side lacks balance, but will get the votes.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
6:0, wow.

I'm not sure myself, actually edging towards Gio, but his fullbacks are a huge turn off.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not a mismatch, you are underrating Furino, he was immense.
As was Deyna. He was usually miles ahead of whoever was assigned to keep an eye on him when in international action for Poland. Whether that was against Holland facing Van Hanegem, Neeskens and Jansen, England with Hughes, Bell and Peters, or Italy with Bennetti.

I rate Furino for his achievements and performances with Juventus. But again, like Lawler, his credentials at the international level are lacking compared to the rarefied level he's up against. So while Deyna was taking Romeo Benetti to the cleaners at the 1974 World Cup, Furino was sat on his arse at home. In the same way that, in the 1970 World Cup Final, Gerson and Clodoaldo were dominating an Italy team Furino wasn't considered good enough for. Through all his career he managed just 3 international caps. Again that's not denigrating his solid club career with the Old Lady, nor is it saying that international football is the only game in town, but clearly there's an issue when your holding defensive midfielder is up against a player of Deyna's calibre. A player who created the 2nd most chances in any World Cup up against a player who wasn't considered good enough to be a part of the '74 tournament. It's not just Deyna, it's Gerson and Clodoaldo too, and they've all got previous in beasting the best Italy had to offer.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
6:0, wow.

I'm not sure myself, actually edging towards Gio, but his fullbacks are a huge turn off.
It's the only area on the park where Aldo can claim an advantage. But clearly the voters are punishing them due to a lack of familiarity. That's a pity because, while Best and Dzajic are brilliant, it doesn't really recognise the facts that:
  • Anczok was the best left-back in the world in the early 1970s (basically post-Facchetti / pre-Krol). His quickness, nimbleness and ability to turn makes him a good match for Best (rather than for instance a big powerhouse who'd end up with twisted blood).
  • Shalamanov was the full-back I was impressed with at the 1966 World Cup. Bulgaria were a bit of a mess defensively and had a brutal group. But he more than held his own against some world-class opposition, such as Eusebio, Jairzinho (see GIFs above) and some of the others in the exceptional attacks that Brazil, Portugal and Hungary boasted. And he twice won Bulgarian Player of the Year - that's a remarkable achievement for a full-back. And he's a shoe-in for an all-time Bulgarian XI. Certainly his credentials for this draft are a long way ahead of Lawler.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A bit more on Anczok to get a feel for what kind of player he was...

His international career began in 1965 when he played against Scotland. At the time of his arrival in the national game, a player of such speed and agility was practically unheard of in Poland, and he frequently was substituted into games to bring to his teams extra power in not just defense, but attack.

Anczok was given an opportunity in 1966 to go on a tour of South America, where he more than held his own against players such as Pelé.
Pace and overlapping

Recovery and positioning

Anticipation

Ability to turn in tight spaces

Tackling
Of course he's up against George Best. But his speed, agility, sharp feet should put him in good stead to hold his own. And on the rare occasion he gets beaten, we've got either Figueroa or Moore to back him up.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Really... Even if you ignore anything else in the team Gerd Muller rattled in three goals against Chumpitaz at the '70 World Cup, so I'm not sure on what basis you can claim he's being handled.

And that clearly isn't the only threat and I'd go as far to say that Cubillas vs Lawler is as big a mismatch as any on the pitch - Undisputedly the greatest player ever to come from Peru and ranked 17th from South America by the IFFHS ahead of Romario, Rivelino etc, up against Lawler who scraped just three caps internationally. Again I'm not sure how he's being handled.

And for what it's worth Jairzinho still managed to get on the score sheet against Italy in the World Cup final with Facchetti at left back, so I'd be hesitant to downplay his influence too much - he's got the pace and movement to get away from Vogts, particularly with the supply he'll receive from Gerson who lest we forget is the best passer on the park.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Enjoy one of the great defensive masterclasses: Bobby Moore in top form against the greatest international team of all time. This is the only game at Mexico '70 that Pele and Jairzinho's Brazil didn't rattle in a load of goals. Worth a watch.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Everytime I watch this I can't believe Müller fecked up the chance after that lovely lob by Beckenbauer 60seconds in. Not that it mattered of course, Müller scored on the next 3 chances, but it would have been such a great assist.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Everytime I watch this I can't believe Müller fecked up the chance after that lovely lob by Beckenbauer 60seconds in. Not that it mattered of course, Müller scored on the next 3 chances, but it would have been such a great assist.
I was surprised he missed it as well. The finishing for the other three was typically ruthless, especially the header. Seeler's attempted overhead kick in this game from the edge of the box was a brilliant effort as well.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not only is Gerson the best passer on the park, he can also hold his own defensively. In fact anyone watching Mexico '70 would see that he's far more of an all-rounder than your archetypal deep-lying playmaker. As well as dominating the tournament on the ball - impressive given the summer heat and altitude in the Azteca and in Guadalajara - together with Clodoaldo he was a hard cnut to get past.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Impressive comeback from 6:0. Some great arguing by Gio here

Moby

Dick
Better defence
You have a great CB pair, but out wide it is a bit of a mismatch. You are up against two of the greatest wide players the game has seen providing the ball to Pele.

It is the area of the pitch with the biggest match winning potential for me and you are at your weakest there.

Moby

Dick
Not only is Gerson the best passer on the park, he can also hold his own defensively. In fact anyone watching Mexico '70 would see that he's far more of an all-rounder than your archetypal deep-lying playmaker. As well as dominating the tournament on the ball - impressive given the summer heat and altitude in the Azteca and in Guadalajara - together with Clodoaldo he was a hard cnut to get past.

No doubt Gerson was quality and is partnered by a familiar figure here, but that Brazilian midfield had a lot to thank Rivelino for, who was a key figure in providing the required balance, like Zagallo did in 1958. In Pirri and Rivelino I have two fantastic all rounders who can carry the ball forward with ease and always stay sharp off it, never letting anyone any space. To add to that, Best himself never gave up in hounding the opposition down, there are a few of his goals which he scored purely by keeping on chasing his counterpart.

In terms of balance that is a key quality to possess in the team, having players who can contribute decisively in both phases of the game. I have packed loads of energy and work rate in that trio, it will be a hard one to come over for any opposition purely due to the mental toughness and resilience of that unit. And when they get the ball, they are well capable of spraying it around or carrying it forward. Not to say we are sitting back waiting for the ball, I myself see Pirri and Rivelino having the upper hand in the game and making a big difference.

Moby

Dick
Adding to the above, Muller is a great striker, and it is impossible to read his movements, if he gets the ball he will score, period. Which is why I have setup precisely to starve him off the service. Vogts is one of the greatest man markers the game has seen and he will be on Jairzinho like a leech the whole game, which takes out a chunk of their creative threat. That with the strong central core, there will be very little action between the lines, the areas where players like Cubillas like to operate.

Whereas there is no such restriction in my attack. Pele, Best and Dzajic, none of them rely on service. I can post countless GIFs of Best and Pele taking the ball from 30 yards off from goal and making it count, which is why I found Gio's argument of Pele and Best requiring service a bit weird. Best was not a forward, he was a proper winger, and a proper footballer, who won't stand around waiting for the ball. Not that I have any shortage of service, with the likes of Pirri and Rivelino handling the transition.

That is where the difference is, I have made the required changes to counter Gio's strengths and have roadblocks where he is at his strongest, while he has little to stop my biggest strengths.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That is where the difference is, I have made the required changes to counter Gio's strengths and have roadblocks where he is at his strongest, while he has little to stop my biggest strengths.
Your biggest strength is the great Pele and he's up against two of the greatest defenders of all time in Elias Figueroa and Bobby Moore. Pele is also operating as a 9 rather than a 10 so, while he's still an incredible player, he is not playing to his absolute potential here. And as a 9, it's arguable whether he's even the top 9 on the park. Moore's also got the previous experience of quelling him with remarkable class in 1970. Something he admittedly failed to do when Gerd Muller came to town.

Our biggest strength in this match is Gerd Muller up against Chumpitaz and Isreal. Muller banged in a hat-trick against Peru and Chumpitaz in 1970. And he scored the winner in the 1974 World Cup Final against a Holland team that Rinus Isreal was considered to be merely a reserve for.

With that mismatch in place and the service he'll receive from the best passer on the park in Gerson, the more cohesive midfield unit, and the best ball-playing defenders in Moore and Figueroa, he'll win the match.

Moby

Dick
Our biggest strength in this match is Gerd Muller up against Chumpitaz and Isreal. Muller banged in a hat-trick against Peru and Chumpitaz in 1970. And he scored the winner in the 1974 World Cup Final against a Holland team that Rinus Isreal was considered to be merely a reserve for.
True, but Muller is not someone who can create a goal for himself, he needs service, which I have taken enough measures to cut off. Not to say he's not scoring, we all know he always manages to find the net and so be it, the constant bombardment down the wings from my side with Pele and Rivelino down the middle should be good enough to overcome it.

There's zero doubt on who's the best number 9 on the pitch at the moment. I have specified in the write up that it is the younger, early 60s version of Pele that is on the park here, the one who was constantly regarded as the best player in the world and at the prime of his abilities. His performances as a number 10 in 1970 were phenomenal and elevated his stature but that has nothing to do with his powers as a goalscorer. And the fact that in this formation he has full room to drop deep and influence play if needed without overlapping with anyone lends him even more freedom to make an impact. Pele has always enjoyed having partners who dovetail with him instead of doing their own thing, and Rivelino is the perfect team player who will be in constant support while we are dominating play but also clever enough to drop in midfield letting Pele stretch play with his searing pace. Given the two wingers I have, the midfield will have plenty of options to pick out from.

Best and Dzajic are two standout names on the pitch and they are going to have a great game here, there's no doubt about that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Anczok was the best left-back in the world in the early 1970s, between Facchetti and Krol. He was chosen in a World All-Star XI in 1971 and was regarded as Poland's best player when they won the Olympics in 1972 and when they toured South America and faced the likes of Brazil and Argentina in the late 1960s. He earned rave reviews from those games and both England and Scotland found him a cut above the normal standard of full-back in the British game at the time. That's why he was called the Polish Facchetti with his extreme pace and agility. Now Best is one of the greatest of all time, but Anczok's qualities make him a good fit for at least holding his own there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The biggest actual mismatch on the park is Teo Cubillas against Chris Lawler. Let's look again at their relative credentials:

Cubillas:
  • 10 World Cup goals in 1970 (where he was voted the best young player) and 1978.
  • A dynamic player full of pace and punch - too hot to handle for most British-based players (England weren't even reaching World Cups in the 1970s and Scotland were humiliated by Teo and his mates in 1978).
  • Packed plenty of end product, plundering almost 340 goals during his career.
  • A unanimous choice as the greatest Peru player of all time - the architect of their greatest ever team
  • Ranked 17th in the continent - ahead of some real legends like Romario, Falcao, Spencer, Rivelino and Rocha
Chris Lawler
  • Solid club career for Liverpool in the 1960s and early 1970s
  • Managed just 4 caps in his entire career

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Into injury time and can Bobby Moore's boys cap an exceptional comeback from 6-0 down and escape to victory? Will Gerson take matters into his own hands and rifle in a 25yarder as he did in the 1970 final? Will Jairzinho get on the end of a Gerson defence splitter and grab his customary goal? Will Cubillas leave Lawler for dead one last time? Will Deyna slip it through for Muller to grab a scrappy winner?