Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Boris

TheReligion/Skizzo

Boris

This team is built around a narrow midfield, bombing full backs, and two very complete centre forwards with outstanding goal scoring abilities.

Pires as a natural right footer playing on the left, and Mendieta who played both as a central and right midfielder, will constantly look to make runs inside, linking up with the strikers and making space for the full backs.

This in turn leaves space for two powerful running full backs to get forward and put dangerous balls into the box, for an aerially dominant striker in Vieri. As the midfielders move inside, Shevchenko would look to drift out at times, hopeful of taking a central defender with him to leave gaps for the runners, or receiving the ball himself in space.

The central midfield partnership will look to seize control of the game through sheer force of will and personality, energy, aggression, and complete two way ability. Although not necessarily playmakers, both are good enough to take on the ball and make quick accurate passes forward.

Pires is playing in a role that suits him down to the ground, Shevchenko has a history of playing on the left and can naturally drift toward there to link up, with none other than Roberto Carlos bombing along outside them, these conditions will allow him to play at his creative PFA player of the year winning best.

At the centre of defence I have a world class sweeper/stopper combo in Carvalho and Campbell, a combination of speed, strength, and intelligence, and a world class keeper behind them capable both on his line and as a sweeper. This combination allows my team to push high when necessary but also have the doggedness to handle sustained pressure camped inside it's own box.

Overall this team provides a combination of energy, strength, and character which would allow them to completely control a game, particularly from the middle, and the ability to create a lot of chances through powerful running and a bit of flair on top.

TheReligion/Skizzo

Tactics will be in the match thread.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lovely use of Mendieta.
And Gento starts on this day of all the days!

BorisDeLeFora

Voted for myself.

That left side is insane, and up against my weaker flank.
Interesting midfield battle too, sure to be a little feisty.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Lovely use of Mendieta.
And Gento starts on this day of all the days!
Yea, couldn't have been a better tribute on the sub forum.

Not a huge fan of him in a 442, but today is not the day to dwell on it.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Pires as a natural right footer playing on the left, and Mendieta who played both as a central and right midfielder, will constantly look to make runs inside, linking up with the strikers and making space for the full backs.
This bit, the Carlos and Gerets meaty roles, wins my vote. Excellently envisioned @BorisDeLeFora , the best 442 so far IMO. Was hoping you lose so Keano becomes available in reinforcements.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yea, couldn't have been a better tribute on the sub forum.

Not a huge fan of him in a 442, but today is not the day to dwell on it.
TBF I think it works since there's Luis Enrique on the right to balance it. That said Gento wouldn't be one of my go to men for a 442

Skizzo

Good luck @BorisDeLeFora

sorry for the delay, I’ll try and get some more thorough thoughts up later, just some quick ones to start.

Gento obviously not the first thought for a left midfielder in a 442, but here we’d be looking for him to stretch down that flank, almost beyond del piero in some instances and look to link up with the front two and get the ball in to Seeler.

Tje balance on the right side with Enrique tucking in more and Kaltz overlapping and crossing in from that side with Seeler looking to get on the end of those deliveries.

Between the aerial threat of Seeler, and the link up play of the front two with support, we feel we have a few different options, all of which could be viably successful.

Lizarazu, Gento, Del Piero all in that left axis against Gerets and a narrow midfield would be an Avenue we’d look to attack.

TheReligion

Abusive
Didn’t know this has gone up as no opportunity to put something together yet and won’t until tomorrow.

@Skizzo has surmised quite well however I’ll also mention Davids and the brilliance of Modric. I feel the two offer the perfect balance in the central areas and with Modric feeding Del Piero, playing off him and picking passes for the full backs to build overloads there’s constant threats all over the pitch (along with serious ball retention)

The tenacity and drive of Davids brings another problem to the equation but sat in front of Billy Costacurta, Hector Chumpitaz and the sheer presence of Oliver Kahn proves a very difficult challenge to break down for Vieri and Shevchenko which I’m unsure functions that well as a two.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Modric is a very poor pick considering the theme, he struggled at Madrid until the emergence of Casemiro and he was fairly anonymous for national team until Brozovic came along and the switch to a midfield three. @Jim Beam is probably his biggest fan so he can tell his views as well.

Skizzo

Modric is a very poor pick considering the theme, he struggled at Madrid until the emergence of Casemiro and he was fairly anonymous for national team until Brozovic came along and the switch to a midfield three. @Jim Beam is probably his biggest fan so he can tell his views as well.
He doesn’t need a defensive midfielder behind him to make him work, he needs to get on the ball and make things happen. With an all action midfielder like Davids next to him, and Del Piero dropping into space between the lines, it’s not unlike situations in which he’s thrived.

Even at Madrid he played in midfield two’s on occasion, with the attacking and defending phases having moving parts. In attack he would be on the ball and have Enrique moving centrally, overlapping full backs, Del Piero in the hole, and Gento stretching the pitch wide and vertically.

Even at Spurs he was eventually moved deeper than where he originally shone.

Redknapp was somewhat derogatory about how Ramos used Modric and when he took over he stressed the importance of getting the 25-year-old on the ball. "He can make things happen – then he has got that ability to open the door," the manager said at the time.

He played him higher up the pitch, usually with a roaming brief from the left and, with some sweet nothings to bolster Modric's belief, saw him blossom.

Yet with Niko Kranjcar signed last season and in the second half of it, Bale coming to the fore, Redknapp switched Modric inside. And when Van der Vaart, an out-and-out No10, arrived at the end of last summer's transfer window and with Bale in fine form, Redknapp chose to accommodate Modric in a deeper role.

"There isn't a more in-form midfielder, especially since he's been brought into that area," Jordan said. "You can get him more on the ball and he has taken that. Luka is a brave player in the sense that he will take the ball from anybody, anywhere.

"No matter who's trying to close him down, he'll take the ball, very rarely lose it and, more often than not, create something. He has grasped the responsibility of playing in that role and he has been first class."

Redknapp has not generally seen fit to play Modric alongside a midfield enforcer – although injuries have now opened the door to Wilson Palacios – which is not only a reflection of his desire for an open style but an endorsement of Modric's ability to look after himself.

TheReligion

Abusive
Modric can never be a poor pick! Pffft.

phenomenal player

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Was in two minds. Didn't like the pick at the time, but the more I think, the more I like it here. It won't bring the absolute best out of Modric (like Madrid version) and he will have to play a bit more reserved, but with someone so energetic while still being positionally sound like Davids I can see him successfully dictating the game. As @Skizzo mentioned pretty much his Spurs version when he finally went deeper after being accommodated on the left wing. And it was still a damn good version of him tbf.

Even more then Davids, I like Enrique and Del Piero picks which surround him. One to help him with heavy lifting in the middle if needed and another to link the midfield with attack. All together, the final result looks really good to me (and surprisingly so as Modric in a 4-4-2 is quite a challenge to build around imo).

Props to Boris as well... Really good team and hard to separate between the two as usual in this draft. Small preference to Skizzo/Religion. Seeler with Del Piero pairing probably sealed my vote.

Skizzo

one spot where I do feel we have an advantage, is in goal. While Allison is a good keeper, he’s still writing his story and we don’t know if he’ll be held in the same esteem as some of the all time greats. meanwhile, Oliver Kahn already has quite the story. A good watch if you have some time.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Great tribute to Gento

I also think Modric doesn't fit most in 4-4-2 formation, unless he has a partner like Keane, Davids or something else and he has it in this game, which I think it's gonna be great pairing. Seeler and Del Piero would pair up really well too.

Skizzo

Great tribute to Gento

I also think Modric doesn't fit most in 4-4-2 formation, unless he has a partner like Keane, Davids or something else and he has it in this game, which I think it's gonna be great pairing. Seeler and Del Piero would pair up really well too.
Granted I know Gento takes a bit more imagination to picture him working ideally in a 442, but today of all days felt right in having him there. Shame it wasn’t more of a free formation to have him in his ideal element, but I still see him working well on that left flank with Lizarazu and Del Piero, and his service to Seeler would be deadly.

Himannv

He looks quite comfortable when playing deeper to me and with a more defensive and energetic presence like David’s next to him, he seems fine.

Skizzo

Chimpitaz and Costacurta vs Vieri looks like a concern to me.
In terms of physicality? I understand in terms of us not having a “pure” stopper, but both Hector and Billy were outstanding defenders in terms of reading the game and positionally being excellent. While Vieri was physical, he was also quick and quite nimble earlier on until injuries started slowing him down. I don’t see a game plan here of getting the ball into Vieri and letting him bully the defense.

I’d argue Seeler-Del Piero as a partnership offers more threat and diversity in how to attack, and I think they’d link up much better. As well as taking the Allison vs Kahn discussion into consideration too.

Himannv

In terms of physicality? I understand in terms of us not having a “pure” stopper, but both Hector and Billy were outstanding defenders in terms of reading the game and positionally being excellent. While Vieri was physical, he was also quick and quite nimble earlier on until injuries started slowing him down. I don’t see a game plan here of getting the ball into Vieri and letting him bully the defense.

I’d argue Seeler-Del Piero as a partnership offers more threat and diversity in how to attack, and I think they’d link up much better. As well as taking the Allison vs Kahn discussion into consideration too.
Talking about aerial threat mostly.

I do like the Seeler - Del Piero partnership and I think your team is fantastic for most part.

BorisDeLeFora

There is an element of that tbf, a big part of the game plan is to suck players into the centre to get the full backs on the ball in space to get crosses in. I think if Vieri can pull onto a Chimpitaz or Lizarazu in particular it would cause a real problem, and distract other players leaving a bit more room for Sheva.

Kahn vs Alisson is a fair point, from my point of view I needed someone who could come of his line and start attacks well, but for sure Kahn was at the top for a whole lot longer

Skizzo

There is an element of that tbf, a big part of the game plan is to suck players into the centre to get the full backs on the ball in space to get crosses in. I think if Vieri can pull onto a Chimpitaz or Lizarazu in particular it would cause a real problem, and distract other players leaving a bit more room for Sheva.

Kahn vs Alisson is a fair point, from my point of view I needed someone who could come of his line and start attacks well, but for sure Kahn was at the top for a whole lot longer
I definitely see that you had a plan for it and it wasn’t a design flaw. That Carlos/Pires duo would work great in that regard. The other side less so IMO, but I know it’s first round and not everything is a finished article.

In terms of keepers who could play with the ball, I agree that Allison is better than Kahn, for us it was better to have the better keeper since both center backs and full backs are good playmakers on the ball.

Skizzo

One last bump to deliver some thoughts and where I see our advantage.

Firstly, Kahn stands above Allison. Not in terms of ball playing, but as far as just outright being a better keeper. Granted Allison is still playing, and is a good keeper, but in terms of all time status there’s not much comparison just yet.

Distribution from the back, all the way to the front. Both center backs are comfortable and good on the ball, and both full backs are able to get on the ball and work their deliveries and link-up play. That goes right through the middle with Modric and Del Piero. We have a clear playmaking link through the middle and down both flanks. Gives us a variety of avenues to look at.

Del Piero-Seeler has just about everything you’d want from a front two. Aerial threat, on the ground, link up play, poaching and long range. With Del Piero roaming, Gento stretching play down the side, and Seeler being a menace in the box, I see a lot of viable areas of attack where we could look to turn the game in our favour.

That being said, good luck for the last little bit @BorisDeLeFora !

BorisDeLeFora

I suppose I would counter the above by saying I'm not necessarily looking for a playmaker, more simple direct passes forward where the ball can be laid off and runners can get beyond their men. I don't really see a scenario where the opposition gets two banks of four in place, so there would be space to attack. There is also the direct option if required, and again, plenty of willing runners to get around second balls. Basically looking to overload and overwhelm the opposition.

TheReligion

Abusive
Perhaps we lost this as didn’t get the opportunity to do proper write ups and our tactics. See no other reason as to why as on paper we’d cruise it.

well done @BorisDeLeFora