Gaming 4X gaming Civ 6, Humankind, Old World

ChaddyP

Hey I dont normally post in here but was wondering if there are any 4x enjoyers in here. Big fan of Civilisation 6 myself and just switched over from single player to playing on a discord multiplayer server. I also quite enjoy the new Humankind game and an old favourite is Endless Legends and Endless space. Any one else into these sort of games?

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
I'm a Civ player (single player only, though). I tried Humankind, but couldn't really get into it.
I hope there will some day be a 4X game with a very good, balanced AI, that doesn't solely rely on bonuses. All those kind of games get too easy too quickly on easier difficulty and are pretty much just unfair on hard difficulty in my opinion.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah I like playing Civ VI every now and then. Got all the expansions and everything. But it's right that the AI is a bit silly and just gets mad advantages on higher difficulties.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I play all of those games. Big fan of Aplitutde, their 4x games are the best in the business IMO.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Civ single Player. How does discord multi-player work? Do you have to make your moves within a time limit?
Also, what is the game "humankind"?
Yeah you all take your turns at the same time and you have a time limit. When it comes to attacks, whoever attacks first gets the advantage so often those with good pings gets the advantage in wars.

Trequarista10

Civ 5 is probably my most played and favourite game of all time, but I never got into Civ 6. I don't think I ever managed to finish a whole save. I may have to give it another go at some point.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Civ 5 is probably my most played and favourite game of all time, but I never got into Civ 6. I don't think I ever managed to finish a whole save. I may have to give it another go at some point.
There's also an issue in Civ VI, in my opinion, where the early game is more interesting than the late game. So I can totally see why you wouldn't really complete a save.

Mike Smalling

Will take a Civ5 single player game every now and again. Superb game in many ways. Never actually tried multiplayer or Civ6.

jeff_goldblum

I thought Humankind was great, with the glaring exception of the daft mechanic where your (and every other) civilization changes its name almost every era so you have no idea who you're friends and enemies are.

Aside from that it's as good as any Civ game since 4.

ChaddyP

Civ single Player. How does discord multi-player work? Do you have to make your moves within a time limit?
Also, what is the game "humankind"?
basically evryone moves the same time withing a time limit that gets longer with each turn. Its quite interesting and very different from single player . what makes things interesting is who can get a first move over another person. makes wars a very cool mechanic in multiplayer. We also use a mod that balances the game for multiplayer. Some civs are buffed some are toned down, Governors abilities are different and so are even pantheon choices.

ChaddyP

Yeah I like playing Civ VI every now and then. Got all the expansions and everything. But it's right that the AI is a bit silly and just gets mad advantages on higher difficulties.
I started getting bored of the Ai as if you have a slight clue of what youre doing you can catch up by about turn 150 on standard speed. With multiplayer i feel like i have relearned the game now, as the slightest mistake can set u so far behind. The slightest advantage can make or break u. Having a good build order is just vital.

Simbo

Civ IV was the peak. Civ V put me off pretty quickly, could beat it on hardest difficult within a couple playthroughs cos they fecked the mechanics up so much. Was like they built a new game from scratch completely ignoring what they had made and learned from previous iterations. Tried Civ VI but felt much of the same.

EU4 occupies my strat gaming nowadays but if I got an urge to play a 4X it'd be Humankind - Less complicated than Civ 4 for example but its just fun to play, one playthrough doesn't take too long and there are different viable strategy routes you can go down etc.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Always loved Civ but to be honest the last version I just get bored very quickly and I haven't played it in a couple of years now. Not sure why exactly, I think they have over complicated it a bit with the different area types you can build in cities, etc. I just don't have any interest in that.

Fully Fledged

Same. I've got more hours in Civ 5 than any other game but there is something about Civ 6 that just doesn't catch me.