5 things Man Utd need to do to compete again

H10

Huseyin 10
Hi All,

Being stuck at home in quarantine I've decided to make videos again so I created this based on the 5 things which I believe we need to do to compete again. What do you guys think?

Mods/Admins - If this is not allowed, then do feel free to delete.

H10

Huseyin 10
Hi All,

Being stuck at home in quarantine I've decided to make videos again so I created this based on the 5 things which I believe we need to do to compete again. What do you guys think?

Mods/Admins - If this is not allowed, then do feel free to delete.

For those who can't be bothered to watch the video, here are the 5 things outlined:

Number 1) Secure champions league football.

Number 2) Buy a right winger.

Number 3) Keeping Paul Pogba.

Number 4) Continue to get rid of deadwood.

Number 5) Sign a world class Centre Back and Defensive Midfielder.

What do you guys think?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
At work so cant watch the video, but agree with your top 3 points. Partly agree with 4 I think Mata and Pereira are worth keeping unless you get a seriously good offer but Jones, Rojo, Lingard should be in the shop window.

As for number 5 I think McT can cover Matic and Ole has the two of them working together if the Athletic is to be believed. I think cover for Bruno and Pogba is more important which is why for me Grealish makes a lot of sense.

As for a CB I can't find out what Tuanzebe's latest injury is, but rather than being injury prone he seems to have had a very unlucky season and with him, Bailly and Mengi coming through I think you've got good cover there. I genuinely think though if you sign Sancho and Grealish as well as getting Pogba to sign a new contract you will easily be challenging next season.

Web of Bissaka

What do you guys think?
1) Naah. With or without CL, the United team with Bruno and the rest is that good already. Win league first and constant then CL will be next.

2) Yes. Make sure it's a good one.

3) Yes.

4) Yes. We know who they are but will Ole get rid ruthlessly?

5) Naah, doesn't have to be world class. Newer CB is a must. DM not really.

----

Missing points

a) Good back-up/contingency plan if Bruno is out. We don't have one, barely have one. Even with Pogba specifically at dual CDM role, I don't like our chances. He has good fitness freakishly, but then so does Rashford and Pogba, who get injured this season.
i) Either get another good CAM.​
ii) Or Change the whole system to get rid #10 with Pogba roaming freely.​
iii) Either way, get more one more top playmaker, doesn't matter if attacker or deep-lying.​

b) Better attacking coach in instilling how to break down low blocks with a good patterns of play. We already have good individual talents, a good coached team play will make it even better.

Falcow

Well done on the video!

Dont agree on point 5 mind you. There aren't many better than what we have already.

H10

Huseyin 10
At work so cant watch the video, but agree with your top 3 points. Partly agree with 4 I think Mata and Pereira are worth keeping unless you get a seriously good offer but Jones, Rojo, Lingard should be in the shop window.

As for number 5 I think McT can cover Matic and Ole has the two of them working together if the Athletic is to be believed. I think cover for Bruno and Pogba is more important which is why for me Grealish makes a lot of sense.

As for a CB I can't find out what Tuanzebe's latest injury is, but rather than being injury prone he seems to have had a very unlucky season and with him, Bailly and Mengi coming through I think you've got good cover there. I genuinely think though if you sign Sancho and Grealish as well as getting Pogba to sign a new contract you will easily be challenging next season.
I did think about Grealish too, but not sure we would spend the 50m+ being quoted on a back up cam. Having said that maybe we do keep one of Lingard/Mata/Pereira, especially since Gomes has gone too. Thanks for your points!

H10

Huseyin 10
1) Naah. With or without CL, the United team with Bruno and the rest is that good already. Win league first and constant then CL will be next.

2) Yes. Make sure it's a good one.

3) Yes.

4) Yes. We know who they are but will Ole get rid ruthlessly?

5) Naah, doesn't have to be world class. Newer CB is a must. DM not really.

----

Missing points

a) Good back-up/contingency plan if Bruno is out. We don't have one, barely have one. Even with Pogba specifically at dual CDM role, I don't like our chances. He has good fitness freakishly, but then so does Rashford and Pogba, who get injured this season.
i) Either get another good CAM.​
ii) Or Change the whole system to get rid #10 with Pogba roaming freely.​
iii) Either way, get more one more top playmaker, doesn't matter if attacker or deep-lying.​

b) Better attacking coach in instilling how to break down low blocks with a good patterns of play. We already have good individual talents, a good coached team play will make it even better.
Yeah good points and thanks for the feedback. I think if Bruno did get injured, I would probably move Pogba a bit higher and then have Fred/McTominay come in. Our attacking play over the past few games seems to have improved, but it's probably due to the Bruno effect and like you said individual talent.

H10

Huseyin 10
Well done on the video!

Dont agree on point 5 mind you. There aren't many better than what we have already.
Thanks mate!

Yeah seems to be a lack of truly world class CB's at the moment so it's a fair point :)

DannyDee

I don't know who a world-class DM who is realistically available to play the Matic role. We need someone who is great positionally, with good distribution and ball control to let Pogba do his box to box role, with Bruno free to roam. Very few guys fit that role, and its not like we can sign a Casemiro. I like the idea of keeping Matic, and maybe adding someone like Declan Rice to spell him, and be groomed into the role. This is obviously, built on the premise of keeping Pogba.

Signing Sancho solves the RW issue, hopefully, that comes to fruition.

Not sure we need a world-class CB, and who that would be, but adding another capable starter with more pace/mobility would be good.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
  1. I like the idea of CL football because it gives us a chance to see how we compare against Europe's elite
  2. Agreed
  3. Agreed
  4. Agreed
  5. I don't think we need a world class CB, just a very good one who can account for Maguire's flaws, we'll need a new DM eventually but I think we can afford to have a bit of patience and wait for the right one to become available

Blake's 7

Despite their prolific attacking strengths, Liverpool won the CL and then the PL by sorting out their defence - adding VVD and Alisson. Pep had done the same with City, recruiting all those fullbacks, they've also failed to mount a proper league defence by failing to replace Kompany. Great attacks are sexy football, but league titles are won by sorting out your defence.

We need to add:

A VVD type CB
A Kante type DM
RW = Sancho
A Bruno understudy

Ship out:

Sell - Jones, Lingard, Smalling, Sanchez, Rojo, Mata (love the guy but he won't get the game time he deserves)
Loan or sell with buy back - Chong, TFM,

Unsure of - Bailly, Dalot, Pereira

Keep to develop via cup games - Garner, Tuanzebe
Promote a couple of U23s

H10

Huseyin 10
  1. I like the idea of CL football because it gives us a chance to see how we compare against Europe's elite
  2. Agreed
  3. Agreed
  4. Agreed
  5. I don't think we need a world class CB, just a very good one who can account for Maguire's flaws, we'll need a new DM eventually but I think we can afford to have a bit of patience and wait for the right one to become available
Yeah the CB requirement seems to be splitting opinions on here. Bailey in theory fits the mould of what you're describing, but misses a lot of games and is never fully available for the duration of a season.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
1) Replace De Gea
2) Upgrade on Lindelof and Shaw
3) Get as much as we can for Pogba and replace him with similar but a player who doesn't need the Sun to be shining for him to perform, or look interested.
4) Find a 24/27 year old Matic, with legs!
5) The good Lord keeping Mason Greenwood fit and healthy.

H10

Huseyin 10
1) Replace De Gea
2) Upgrade on Lindelof and Shaw
3) Get as much as we can for Pogba and replace him with similar but a player who doesn't need the Sun to be shining for him to perform, or look interested.
4) Find a 24/27 year old Matic, with legs!
5) The good Lord keeping Mason Greenwood fit and healthy.
Yeah, not sure if any of these are going to be a priority next season, apart from number 5 offcourse :)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Despite their prolific attacking strengths, Liverpool won the CL and then the PL by sorting out their defence - adding VVD and Alisson. Pep had done the same with City, recruiting all those fullbacks, they've also failed to mount a proper league defence by failing to replace Kompany. Great attacks are sexy football, but league titles are won by sorting out your defence.

We need to add:

A VVD type CB
A Kante type DM
RW = Sancho
A Bruno understudy

Ship out:

Sell - Jones, Lingard, Smalling, Sanchez, Rojo, Mata (love the guy but he won't get the game time he deserves)
Loan or sell with buy back - Chong, TFM,

Unsure of - Bailly, Dalot, Pereira

Keep to develop via cup games - Garner, Tuanzebe
Promote a couple of U23s
Thats a two-three year timeline what you are proposing.

sglowrider

Pochettino is a serial bottler.
Perfect club at Spurs.

Managers like players, you don't know how they will perform at OT and the pressures that come with it. Jose despite his record is more suited for battlers type clubs. Poch may have been considered successful manager at WHL/New Stadium just by getting into the top four or finals of the CL.

That wont fly at OT. He is just as unproven as Ole then.

Gasolin

For those who can't be bothered to watch the video, here are the 5 things outlined:

What do you guys think?
If we want results faster we should ride the DM role with Scott and Fred, and instead invest into a world class Striker to challenge Martial as well. Or a very effective backup striker to help him rotate.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The video itself is very well put together. I couldn't even come close to doing something like that so well done. As for the content, all you've really done is taken all the "popular opinions" from here and put them to video. There's nothing new. No new thoughts. If you're going to make a video I'd like to see some "outside of the box" thinking. This video was just "too safe" if that makes sense. Also, if you are going to talk about Lindeloff not being good in the air, perhaps a picture that isn't him winning a header would be a better choice :)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
  1. Sancho
  2. VdB
  3. Sell Lindegard
  4. Sell Phil Jones
  5. New quick CB, left footed & strong like Samson

H10

Huseyin 10
The video itself is very well put together. I couldn't even come close to doing something like that so well done. As for the content, all you've really done is taken all the "popular opinions" from here and put them to video. There's nothing new. No new thoughts. If you're going to make a video I'd like to see some "outside of the box" thinking. This video was just "too safe" if that makes sense. Also, if you are going to talk about Lindeloff not being good in the air, perhaps a picture that isn't him winning a header would be a better choice :)
Thanks for the feedback :)
Yeah it's my first video so just wanted to get started and take it from there and see how things develop on my next few videos.

Again valid point on the Lindelof photo, I remember Deeney gave him a hard time when we played him so I think I just typed it and that pic came up.

Blake's 7

Thats a two-three year timeline what you are proposing.
If it takes us 2-3 years to make 4 top quality signings, given that we are known to overpay in both transfer fees and wages, I think something has gone horribly wrong.

I believe the powers that be, backed by the recent positive punditry coverage, realise that Ole can be trusted in the transfer market - his last 4 signings have all done well. Therefore I think they will make funds available; so 2 major signings per summer window should see us there by the start of 21/22.

The writing is on the wall for the deadwood, Ole has moved bigger names out, and they realise they are not going to get game time. They're all loaded anyway and will hardly be departing for somewhere that's going to pay them a paupers wage to play either in the PL or overseas. If Ashley Young can get a deal - so can those listed.

Reactions: Sultan

sglowrider

If it takes us 2-3 years to make 4 top quality signings, given that we are known to overpay in both transfer fees and wages, I think something has gone horribly wrong.

I believe the powers that be, backed by the recent positive punditry coverage, realise that Ole can be trusted in the transfer market - his last 4 signings have all done well. Therefore I think they will make funds available; so 2 major signings per summer window should see us there by the start of 21/22.

The writing is on the wall for the deadwood, Ole has moved bigger names out, and they realise they are not going to get game time. They're all loaded anyway and will hardly be departing for somewhere that's going to pay them a paupers wage to play either in the PL or overseas. If Ashley Young can get a deal - so can those listed.
I am not that optimistic with the powers to be. Even with Fergie they were never that gung-ho. I am sure they want to ensure that they have Ole on a leash. They will never want to get into another situation whereby the manager is the kingmaker again despite their poor decisions over the past few years.

Strelok

I don't know who a world-class DM who is realistically available to play the Matic role. We need someone who is great positionally, with good distribution and ball control to let Pogba do his box to box role, with Bruno free to roam. Very few guys fit that role, and its not like we can sign a Casemiro. I like the idea of keeping Matic, and maybe adding someone like Declan Rice to spell him, and be groomed into the role. This is obviously, built on the premise of keeping Pogba.

Signing Sancho solves the RW issue, hopefully, that comes to fruition.

Not sure we need a world-class CB, and who that would be, but adding another capable starter with more pace/mobility would be good.
Matic is still good for at least one season imo. He won't be able to cover the whole season though.

I like Camavinga. Look like the next big thing there. Very matured for his age imo. Of course probably not PL ready yet but:
1. Good backup option.
2. With one or two years here he'd become really good imo.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

What do you guys think?
Scrap the Deadwood, play the Greenwood, sack the Woodward.

MrEarl

Maybe it's just me, but there is a potential downside to buying Sancho. Man Utd already has three young excellent developing attackers so buying Sancho does not address a first 11 weakness. Instead it puts one of three outstanding attackers on the bench apparently for 100 million.. Somehow that seems reminiscent of how we ended up buying Sanchez replacing Martial.

The assumption seems to be that success in the Bundesliga is easily transferred into the Premier League. But that's not our experience. Mkhitarnyan was voted Bundesliga player of the year before he came to Man Utd and flopped. Before him there was Kagawa voted to the Bundesliga top 11 before he too came to Man Utd and flopped. Supposing Sancho comes and doesn't produce either. Does that mean we will have yet another underperforming employee with a staggering contract that makes him too costly?

Grealish, by contrast, is a proven Premier league quality player. And, from what I read, he can play either wing and a number 10. That would give Man Utd cover for the three attackers as well as for Pogba and Fernandes. Right now that lack of depth is a glaring weakness and Grealish will cost a lot less than100 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

Blake's 7

I actually think that there is a problem with Martial, that could reoccur if we splurge 100 million on another attacker. I just don't think Martial can handle the pressure of competing with a big money top class player vying for his position. He's playing the best for us that he has ever done, I believe it's because he's a first choice pick - part of MMM. Those behind him, Dan James, Jessie L, Ighalo, and Chong are respectively developing, on their way out, back up and not proven - so Martial is thriving on the fact that he is an automatic first choice with little real threat to his starting position. If we buy Sancho he will play, meaning 2 from 3 of MMM = pressure that Martial doesn't respond well to. I think long term we might have been better swapping him for Werner or even trying to cut a swap deal for Haland/Sancho.

H10

Huseyin 10
Maybe it's just me, but there is a potential downside to buying Sancho. Man Utd already has three young excellent developing attackers so buying Sancho does not address a first 11 weakness. Instead it puts one of three outstanding attackers on the bench apparently for 100 million.. Somehow that seems reminiscent of how we ended up buying Sanchez replacing Martial.

The assumption seems to be that success in the Bundesliga is easily transferred into the Premier League. But that's not our experience. Mkhitarnyan was voted Bundesliga player of the year before he came to Man Utd and flopped. Before him there was Kagawa voted to the Bundesliga top 11 before he too came to Man Utd and flopped. Supposing Sancho comes and doesn't produce either. Does that mean we will have yet another underperforming employee with a staggering contract that makes him too costly?

Grealish, by contrast, is a proven Premier league quality player. And, from what I read, he can play either wing and a number 10. That would give Man Utd cover for the three attackers as well as for Pogba and Fernandes. Right now that lack of depth is a glaring weakness and Grealish will cost a lot less than100 million.
The problem is if we don't sign someone in the ilk of Sancho, then we are 1 injury away from relying on the likes of James/Lingard/Pereira to perform consistently. I think Greenwood has done excellently since he's started, but having an extra player should help sustain the requirements of the full season.

With any transfer there's always risk involved but there are also some good examples which have worked out really well, like Son and Aubameyang.

RedCurry

What do you guys think?
This list is absolutely spot on for the immediate needs, in my opinion.