50+ dead after tornado outbreak in Kentucky

MarylandMUFan

That's terrible. This past Summer we did a bourbon trail tour (as well as went to some races at Churchill Downs and a thoroughbred tour around Lexington) and it's a beautiful state. With the politicians they elect, I was surprised at seeing rainbow flags flying on houses that were in fairly rural areas.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That's terrible. This past Summer we did a bourbon trail tour (as well as went to some races at Churchill Downs and a thoroughbred tour around Lexington) and it's a beautiful state. With the politicians they elect, I was surprised at seeing rainbow flags flying on houses that were in fairly rural areas.
What’s even more scary is it happened now, not in the spring which is more common. These people weren’t expecting such horror. They knew there were possible tornadoes, but not to this degree / intensity.

MarylandMUFan

What’s even more scary is it happened now, not in the spring which is more common. These people weren’t expecting such horror. They knew there were possible tornadoes, but not to this degree / intensity.
Yeah, it's unusual but they were predicting these because of that ridiculous warm front coming through. Looking at 67 degrees here in the DC area today which is ridiculous for this far into December.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah, it's unusual but they were predicting these because of that ridiculous warm front coming through. Looking at 67 degrees here in the DC area today which is ridiculous for this far into December.
Gonna be 80 here in Savannah. Insane.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I was scrolling the interwebz to gain somewhat of an expectation of weather in the Southern US during January 2022 (as I will be traveling a bit) and it appears most prediction models see the South in ridiculously warm weather this winter. Guessing we may see more storms of this intensity.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its not uncommon. When I was living in St. Louis, we'd have an unusually warm December day every now and then and that was the time for the worst tornadoes as the hot air mixes with the cold fronts. One of these flew within 2 miles of my apartment in 2011 and flattened an entire Home Depot.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was scrolling the interwebz to gain somewhat of an expectation of weather in the Southern US during January 2022 (as I will be traveling a bit) and it appears most prediction models see the South in ridiculously warm weather this winter. Guessing we may see more storms of this intensity.
If the end of fall is any indication, it will be a warm winter. It’s borderline uncomfortable some days.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Its not uncommon. When I was living in St. Louis, we'd have an unusually warm December day every now and then and that was the time for the worst tornadoes as the hot air mixes with the cold fronts. One of these flew within 2 miles of my apartment in 2011 and flattened an entire Home Depot.
Not uncommon, sure, but potentially more common going forward, unfortunately. It’s as if something is changing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Tornados are quite something. And they only occur in America?

MrMarcello

Feck, that looks like F4 or F5 level.

And this monster. That's up there with the Tri-State tornado in the 20s.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...tates-four-hours-leaving-trail-death-rcna8465

'Quad-State Tornado' crossed four states in four hours, a rare December tornado
The National Weather Service will confirm if a single tornado tracked over 200 miles from Arkansas to Kentucky, which could set the record for longest tornado in U.S. history

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
José Andrés & his crew are amazing for what his WC Kitchen does. And his restaurants are stellar as well…

peridigm

Hit 70’s on Christmas Day in 2015 followed by single digits by Jan 2nd. I remember this well as it was right after I bought a fishing boat. I went fishing in the bay up until a few days before New Years. We had a 20+” snow that January.

Winrar

I swear couple years ago when I was back in Ellicott city around christmas time to visit family, and one day it was sunny and 65 ish degrees.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Forgive me for this might seem daft. Why do so many Americans build homes out of wood?

Cloud7

Where are you from where you don't build homes out of wood? It's definitely the standard in Norway as well, though we build them quite sturdy.
Where I'm from (Trinidad) almost all homes are built from concrete

Carolina Red

Staff
Quad-State Tornado' crossed four states in four hours, a rare December tornado
The National Weather Service will confirm if a single tornado tracked over 200 miles from Arkansas to Kentucky, which could set the record for longest tornado in U.S. history
Unreal. It’s like out of the movie Twister

Nanook

It probably isn’t but is America the only country in the world that gets tornadoes? I didn’t think I’ve ever heard of one outside the US.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It probably isn’t but is America the only country in the world that gets tornadoes? I didn’t think I’ve ever heard of one outside the US.
The UK gets a few every year, not very big ones mind.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Biggest ever was in Bangladesh, over 1300 people perished.

MrMarcello

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It’s funny because I walked outside that evening and remarked on the clouds and the air about how it felt like it was April or May. I live just west of where it all kicked off and never thought to check for severe weather.

As for tornadoes in general, NA just has a large patch of the perfect geography to encourage them between the Rockies, cold Arctic air, and warm humid Gulf of Mexico air. It is concerning as these events will just get worse: a couple years ago I spent like 18 hours under near constant tornado sirens. Just about the strangest couple days of my life.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s funny because I walked outside that evening and remarked on the clouds and the air about how it felt like it was April or May. I live just west of where it all kicked off and never thought to check for severe weather.

As for tornadoes in general, NA just has a large patch of the perfect geography to encourage them between the Rockies, cold Arctic air, and warm humid Gulf of Mexico air. It is concerning as these events will just get worse: a couple years ago I spent like 18 hours under near constant tornado sirens. Just about the strangest couple days of my life.
I was listening to a meteorologist this AM talking about how the ‘tornado alley’ was starting to shift to the east & north of where it traditionally lay.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I was listening to a meteorologist this AM talking about how the ‘tornado alley’ was starting to shift to the east & north of where it traditionally lay.
It is expanding from its traditional line of roughly SD down into TX to include much of the Deep South and Midwest.

So not an alley anymore, but a large region including much of the eastern half of the US.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'll never forget April 27th, 2011. 216 Tornados in a single day, including a monster EF4 that was tracking right at us for a while. Never been so scared as that as we had nowhere safe to go (laying in a bathtub ain't gonna cut it with an EF4). I can't imagine what those people in Kentucky are going through.

djembatheking

Do most people have shelters or bunkers or do they just ride it out and hope for the best in the house?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Do most people have shelters or bunkers or do they just ride it out and hope for the best in the house?
Quite a few houses in tornado zones have cellars, but many don’t. There’s stories of some survivors from Friday riding the storm out in their bathrooms.