70s Fantasy Draft - Brwned v Jayvin

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Brwned

Rustu

Excellent reflexes and very difficult to beat one-on-one, outrageous at times but undeniably a matchwinner on his day. In the all-star WC 2002 team, named the best keeper overall in Europe by Uefa later that year - it was certainly a spectacular peak.

Sagnol

With his dependability in attack and defence, endless energy and a fantastic whipped cross he made his name as one of the best fullbacks around for nearly a decade. A more attacking Gary Neville, essentially.

Hyypia

Part of the best defence in the league right at the beginning and end of his Liverpool career, a leader at the back and quietly dominant. Alongside Rio he forms the cleanest defensive partnership around, at one point going nearly 90 games without a single booking.

Ferdinand

Class. Outstanding in 2008 to the extent some would argue he was our best player.

Zambrotta

Like Sagnol he was nominated for the Ballon D'or in 2006 and there's a good shout that at this point they were the two best fullbacks around. Extremely versatile and well-rounded, a constant attacking threat but always willing and able to get back and more than capable of taking his opposing attacker out of the game completely.

Tacchinardi

Named as one of the Juventus 50 Legends, his influence on that utterly dominant Juve side can't be understated. Provides the energy and bite needed to make this midfield a cohesive unit just as he did for Juve.

Pirlo

An outstanding passer and the outstanding deep-lying playmaker of the draft. Widely considered the best midfielder around circa 07' after being named the third best player in the World Cup, had took Milan to successive CL finals and was voted 5th best player in the world in the Ballon D'or 07.

Valeron

Finished in the top 15 for the Ballon D'or 2002. A magician who would literally walk past player after player at times; with fantastic close control, wonderful imagination and devastatingly incisive passing. He'll of course be providing the ammunition for the two forwards.

Larrson

Nominated for the Ballon D'or 3 times in 4 years between 2000-04, finishing just outside the top 10 twice...it says it all for a player playing in the SPL. Brilliant goalscorer and showed his all-round attacking game and intelligence in his time at Barcelona and United.

Shearer

112 goals in 138 games for Blackburn, no-one needs to be told about this man.

Recoba

Pace, dribbling and a fantastic long range shot. Could play right across the front. Or, as Cling said:

Left. Footed. Thunderbolts.
See for yourself.

Jayvin

Tactics/Playstyle:

Rock of a defence, beginning with Francesco Toldo - near unbeatable at his Euro 2000 peak - protected by Juve's legendary fullback pair of Pessotto and Torricelli and a fearsome central pairing of two players with sublime technique in de Boer and Ayala. My defence is equally comfortable adopting a no-nonsense approach or playing their way out of trouble.

Solid midfield base of Jeremies and Vieira, with the versatile Scholl as the attacking midfielder. Jeremies will operate as my main destroyer, allowing Vieira more license to bomb forward alongside Scholl. In tougher games Vieira can be more positionally disciplined, staying back and helping Jeremies. Which leaves Scholl to play with a free role where he can drift around and cause havoc.

Variety on the wings, with Giuly providing the trickery and dribbling and Gonzalez the more direct approach - surging forward with pace and putting his crossing ability to good affect.

Up top Miroslav Klose will lead the line, using his renowned heading ability to smash home crosses from Gonzalez, as well as holding up the ball and creating space for Scholl and Giuly to exploit.

Player Profiles:

Francesco Toldo:

Part of a generation of outstanding Italian goalkeepers including Pagliuca, Buffon and Peruzzi; Toldo was the best of the lot circa 2000. He performed brilliantly all season,winning the Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year award and capping it off by producing a series of outstanding displays for Italy as the Azzuri reached the final of Euro 2000.
As the longtime Goalkeeper for Fiorentina and Inter, Toldo won 5 Coppa Italia's and 5 Serie A titles, as well as the Champions League in 2010 (although he was only on the bench by this time).

Moreno Torricelli:

Juventus legend and part of the best defence in the world in the mid to late 90's. A player much loved by the fans for his guts and determination, Torricelli was able to play all accross the backline, but favoured right-back. Along with Pessotto, he appeared in 2 Champions League finals, winning in 1996. He also won Serie A 3 times, the Coppa Italia twice and the UEFA Cup.

Roberto Ayala:

One of the best defenders in Argentine history, the silky smooth Roberto Ayala played in 3 World Cups, winning 115 caps (63 as captain). He spent his best years at Valencia, where he helped them to reached the 2001 Champions League final and win the La Liga title on two occassions, as well as the 2004 UEFA Cup. An intelligent reader of the game, Ayala was cool, calm and collected regardless of the situation.

Frank de Boer:

A product of the famed Ajax youth academy, former Netherlands captain Frank de Boer was one of the best defenders of his generation. An influential, assured defender with exemplary distribution. de Boer possessed one of the finest left feet in football and was capable of pin-point passing up the flanks from deep inside his own half. He won 112 caps for the Netherlands, appeared in World Cup and European Championship semi-finals, was a European Champion with Ajax and won league titles in Holland and Spain.

Gianluca Pessotto:

Another legendary Juve fullback and versatile player, Pessotto could play either side (as well as in midfield) but favoured the left.
He was part of the Juve team that reached 3 consecutive Champions League finals (though he didn't feature in 1997) and his trophy haul includes 4 Serie A titles, 1 Coppa Italia and the Champions League. He was also a beaten finalist in the 2000 European Championships.

Patrick Vieira:

Legendary Arsenal midfielder, captain of the Invincibles team and French World Cup and European Championship winner. 107 caps for France, appearences in 2 World Cup finals, 4 FA Cup medals, title wins in Italy and England. There's not much more that needs to be said about this man.

Jens Jeremies:

Solid and dependable tough tackling German midfielder, won the Champions League with Bayern Munich as one of their most important players, along with 6 Bundesliga titles. Jeremies was also a member of the German team which reached the 2002 World Cup final, also representing the national team in the 1998 World Cup and the 2000 and 2004 European Championships.

Mehmet Scholl:

One of the most decorated players in German football history and a supremely gifted attacking midfielder, Scholl possessed pace, mesmeric dribbling skills and an eye for goal; as well as being handy at set pieces. He was a key part of Germany's Euro 96 winning team and an integral player at Bayern Munich; where he won 8 Bundesliga titles, the Champions League and the UEFA Cup.

Ludovic Giuly:

Captain of the Monaco team that made it to the final of the Champions League in 2004 and winner of 2 La Liga titles and the CL with Barcelona. Able to play as a wide midfielder or as a second striker, Giuly possessed great pace, dribbling skills and an eye for goal; scoring 47 goals in 184 appearences for Monaco and 19 in 85 for Barcelona.

Kily Gonzalez:

Former Valencia and Inter winger who won over 50 caps for Argentina and appeared in two consecutive Champions League finals. Gonzalez was an expert crosser of the ball and a player gifted with explosive pace, a stinging shot and a tireless work rate.

Miroslav Klose:

The second highest goalscorer in World Cup finals history and a born finisher. Big, strong with a good touch, great leap and fantastic heading ability; all 5 of his WC 2002 goals were scored with his head. Klose has maintained a ratio of nearly 1 goal in every 2 games during his career, as well as smashing home 63 goals in 113 games for Germany, for whom he appeared in World Cup and European Championship finals.

Substitute:

Alen Boksic:

Technically gifted forward in the Dennis Bergkamp mould, able to play up front or as a second striker. Pacy, strong and a good finisher, Boksic was a part of Croatia's golden generation and Serie A winner with Juventus. He also finished as top scorer in France with Marseille, where he won the league and Champions League, earning him 4th place in the Ballon d'Or in 1993.
Gary Pallister said of Boksic, "He was so difficult to mark. I knew then what he could do and all the United players were speaking about him after the match [Juve 1 - 0 Utd, 1997]"

Brwned

If both people vote for themselves it saves time clicking on the button to check the score of the votes. Just seems pointless not to do so.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Man-for-man there's very little in it and both teams are well balanced. Tough group.

Zen

Went for Brwned based on slightly better fullbacks really......thats pretty much all I could come up between these two. Shearer is better than Klose too actually. Jayvin has the edge with centre back partnership.

Interval

Level
Went for Brwned based on slightly better fullbacks really......thats pretty much all I could come up between these two. Shearer is better than Klose too actually. Jayvin has the edge with centre back partnership.
Jayvin's midfield would smash Brwned's. His spine is very strong

Zen

Not really, the advantage he has in an defensive and physical way is lacked is also his disadvantage in playmaking.....and I'll take playmaking with a good DM around.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not really, the advantage he has in an defensive and physical way is lacked is also his disadvantage in playmaking.....and I'll take playmaking with a good DM around.
It's pretty congested in that central area though, would be hard for Pirlo or Valeron in particular to get on the ball with Jeremies and Vieira hassling them.

This is where my genuine width puts me out in front, imo.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game

I'm going for Jayvin because his weaker full-backs won't suffer quite as much against Recoba and Larsson, who aren't proper wingers, as if they had been faced with Giuly and Kily Gonzalez for instance

The rest of the team is of similar quality for both but I like the balance of Jayvin's midfield more

Also I think Brwned would have been better off writing his GK's name as Rustu. I did not understand who Recber was

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's pretty congested in that central area though, would be hard for Pirlo or Valeron in particular to get on the ball with Jeremies and Vieira hassling them.

This is where my genuine width puts me out in front, imo.
I agree. It's a difficult one to call as there is more creativity and ability to do the unexpected in Brwned's team. Your team looks more workmanlike but it has plenty of steel and genuine width (which will make it harder for him to exploit his somewhat better fullbacks).

Every World Cup I look at Germany's squad and go mmm, yeah... but not too impressed. Every World Cup they go on to do well.

Your team has that feel to it: "unimpressive" by comparison, but very solid and effective. I can't find a flaw that Brwned will take advantage of.

Brwned

Can't have a draw here, need someone to tip us over the edge.

Here's one for you: Shearer scored more league goals in 5 years than Klose did in his entire career of top flight football. Shearer did this in less than 170 games, Klose in over 300. Klose scored over 20 league goals once in a season, Shearer 7 times.

This is about players in their peaks not over the course of their careers though, of course, so Jayvin's front three at their peaks scored 85 league goals in 266 games. My front three scored 172 in 262 games. Over twice as many goals in less games. More boring numbers explained further:

If we're to assume that Gonzalez's peak was at Valencia (8 in 92), Giuly's at Barcelona (19 in 85) and Klose's at Bremen (53 in 89). Shearer scored 112 in 138 at Blackburn. Recoba scored 35 in 93 Serie A games between 98-02. Larsson scored 25 goals in 32 European games - since people don't trust the Scottish league - between 99-03.

A lot less goals, less creativity and a pretty even defence.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
No question your front three have more goalscoring potential, and you have the players to play them through on goal. He would never scored more than a couple, while you could score for fun once the floodgates open and he chases the game.

But Jayvin has more fight in his midfield, he could conceivably cut the supply off, and he's got good width there. It is the sort of game where he would probably bore us to death with an efficient performance and nick a goal somewhere.

Whoever scores first is likely to win it really.

Jayvin

I don't think Brwned's attack is the trump card people like to believe it is. My midfield would swamp his, his attack would be isolated and - because he lacks width - he has no out ball to compensate for this. If Zambrotta or Sagnol try to provide the width, Gonzalez and Giuly will get in behind wreak havoc.

Meanwhile, my defence is the best in the competition, imo. Shearer or no, there won't be any goals flying past Toldo.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Can't have a draw here, need someone to tip us over the edge.

Here's one for you: Shearer scored more league goals in 5 years than Klose did in his entire career of top flight football. Shearer did this in less than 170 games, Klose in over 300. Klose scored over 20 league goals once in a season, Shearer 7 times.

This is about players in their peaks not over the course of their careers though, of course, so Jayvin's front three at their peaks scored 85 league goals in 266 games. My front three scored 172 in 262 games. Over twice as many goals in less games. More boring numbers explained further:

If we're to assume that Gonzalez's peak was at Valencia (8 in 92), Giuly's at Barcelona (19 in 85) and Klose's at Bremen (53 in 89). Shearer scored 112 in 138 at Blackburn. Recoba scored 35 in 93 Serie A games between 98-02. Larsson scored 25 goals in 32 European games - since people don't trust the Scottish league - between 99-03.

Yes but this is a fantasy cup. First groups, then knockouts. Klose is brilliant at World Cups.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Sometimes I feel it would be easier to vote if one team had the home field advantage.

Interval

Level
Mehmet Scholl? Remember him hitting the bar against us when he chipped Schmichel? The guy was very good. He is one of the most successful players in Germany.

Vieira isn't an ordinary DM either

Zen

You are seeing things in my post which aren't there....I never said Vieira is ordinary or even hinted at it, and neither do I say Scholl isn't good. Just that I think that Brwned in Pirlo and Valeron has a bigger advantage in dictating of play and opening up defences over them two, which I stick too and prefer to the advantages that Vieira and Jeremies have over Brwneds midfield...

Interval

Level
You are seeing things in my post which aren't there....I never said Vieira is ordinary or even hinted at it, and neither do I say Scholl isn't good. Just that I think that Brwned in Pirlo and Valeron has a bigger advantage in dictating of play and opening up defences over them two, which I stick too and prefer to the advantages that Vieira and Jeremies have over Brwneds midfield...
Oh, I read your post as Jayvin's team loses out in playmaking. I pointed out that he has both Scholl and Vieira.

That's absolutely okay. I just think, like for like, Jayvin's midfield 3 are just better as a unit. Obviously, I have a lot of time for Vieira who I have loads of respect for and wins it for me.

EDIT: Plus, I don't think Valeron is as good as the others in there.

Jayvin

Having Pirlo and Valeron is all well and good, but against Vieira and Jeremies they would be near useless. Both players hated being pressed and always needed someone else to provide the legs for them. This means that Tacchinardi has to do the legwork for both Pirlo and Valeron, as well as try to keep Scholl quiet. It just wouldn't happen.

Also, who is supposed to be protecting against my wingers? It looks like Zambrotta and Sagnol are pushing forward, and they certainly wouldn't get any support from Larsson or Recoba, so it would appear Gonzalez and Giuly have the freedom of the flanks. A dangerous thing with Klose waiting to pounce in the centre.

Also it's a bit unfair of Brwned to compare the goal-ratio's of our front 3's, considering he has 3 strikers and i have 1 striker and 2 wingers.

Jayvin

EDIT: Plus, I don't think Valeron is as good as the others in there.
This is a good point. People are ignoring the qualities of Scholl whilst singing the praises of Valeron.

What everyone is forgetting though is that Mehmet Scholl was twice the player Valeron was. He was the key player in Germany's Euro 96 win, as well as in Bayern's all conquering side of the early 2000's. He also suffered injury problems just as bad - if not worse - than Valeron.