70s Fantasy Draft - DanNistelrooy v Team Brian

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I beg to differ, it wasn't Ronaldinho or Deco or Et'oo that scored the goal that won Barcelona the Champions League in 2006, it was Juliano Belletti.
Haha don't try to big up Belletti. He was 2nd fiddle to Oleguer. That was the only goal he scored for Barcelona and we all know it's one Lehmann should have saved.

Snow

Does anybody else have eight players in their team who won the champions league?
My team has 50 league medals, 9 CL medals, 1 EC winner and 2 WC winners, 1 Copa America and Libertadores winner and 96 different cup medals which include the Cup Winners Cup, FA Cup, various Super Cups etc

Snow

Brazil is the only team I'd go for in that formation but he's missing players such as Ronaldinho or Rivaldo to make it work. I don't see anything happening on the flank with Reiziger, Belletti and Sylvinho. Most of the action will happen on the other flank or down the middle.

I still think Brian's midfield and tactics have this.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
My team has 50 league medals, 9 CL medals, 1 EC winner and 2 WC winners, 1 Copa America and Libertadores winner and 96 different cup medals which include the Cup Winners Cup, FA Cup, various Super Cups etc
Nice, mine has 30 league medals just counting England, Spain and Italy, I think I have something like 12 champions league medals in mine (thanks Seedorf, there cannot be anyone else still playing with four).

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I have mentioned this before but I think this is the best hat trick scored in the premier league - left foot, right foot, header, get in.

Snow

He's like Defoe's bigger brother that Defoe looks up to and wants to be like.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Does anybody else have eight players in their team who won the champions league?
I think mine's got one between the lot of them. Just as well for you that legendary Champions League winners of the calibre of Oleguer, Djimi Traore and Francisco Pavon were born in 1980.

Red-Indian

I just voted Dan out of affection for the Brazilians - especially Ronaldo but was surprised when i saw the status.

I actually think Brian's team is stronger. Sort of regret my vote now.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What are people smoking? Dan's midfield is incredibly average; Edu, Gilberto Silva? Bleh. It wouldn't be so bad but Dan is up against Makelele, Seedorf and Stankovic. Makelele and Seedorf alone are better than Dan's entire midfield triangle.

Also, while Lucio was great, i was never a fan of Juan. Brian has a nice, balanced pairing, with two CL winners, a left footer and a right footer, Helguera's passing ability out of the backline and Samuel's no nonsense approach.

Brian wins this fairly comfortably for me.

Zen

Gilberto was a brilliant player tbf, while Makelele was getting all the plaudits, he did a job every bit as good, just in a way more fragile team with far less money thus more leakage of goals. A good DM can't save everything. Plus he was superb in the World Cup.

My main problem with Brians team is Gudjohnson at the top of the midfield/behind the strikers, at the point where he picked him, there were so many options who could play there naturally still available including J. Paulista, who had he picked wouldn't of made this vote remotely a dilemma.

I think Ronaldo would have a field day against those centre halves, but then I think Seedorf and Stankovic would still just about win the midfield batter between them and Edu and Pernanbucano, with both Paulista and Gudjohnsen being neutralised by the two DMs. Cafu is the clear standout from the fullbacks.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Gilberto was a brilliant player tbf, while Makelele was getting all the plaudits, he did a job every bit as good, just in a way more fragile team with far less money thus more leakage of goals. A good DM can't save everything. Plus he was superb in the World Cup.

My main problem with Brians team is Gudjohnson at the top of the midfield/behind the strikers, at the point where he picked him, there were so many options who could play there naturally still available including J. Paulista, who had he picked wouldn't of made this vote remotely a dilemma.

I think Ronaldo would have a field day against those centre halves, but then I think Seedorf and Stankovic would still just about win the midfield batter between them and Edu and Pernanbucano, with both Paulista and Gudjohnsen being neutralised by the two DMs. Cafu is the clear standout from the fullbacks.
I stopped taking you seriously after that.

Jayvin

Gilberto was a brilliant player tbf, while Makelele was getting all the plaudits, he did a job every bit as good.
Gilberto had Patrick Vieira next to him a lot of the time. Makelele was the sole defensive minded player in a team with Zidane, Figo, Guti and Raul, hardly players who contribute defensively.

Makelele is light years ahead of Gilberto Silva.

Also, i don't see what your issue is with where Brian has selected Gudjohnsen; Mourinho played him in the same position during Chelsea's title win in 2005, to great effect iirc.

Zen

Gilberto had Patrick Vieira next to him a lot of the time. Makelele was the sole defensive minded player in a team with Zidane, Figo, Guti and Raul, hardly players who contribute defensively.

Makelele is light years ahead of Gilberto Silva.

Also, i don't see what your issue is with where Brian has selected Gudjohnsen; Mourinho played him in the same position during Chelsea's title win in 2005, to great effect iirc.
When I mentioned Gilberto and Makelele....I was clearly talking about their years in the Premiership as I clearly alluded to the money and better team Chelsea had. Had Makelele retired in 2003, he wouldn't have been picked in the first round here, probably not until the last few rounds. It was his time in England that made him as popular as he is now(was barely a France regular beforehand either.)

In Chelsea he played with a superb cb partnership behind and Lampard and Essien in front of him mainly. Whereas Gilberto didn't have that kind of stableness around him, his partnership with Fabregas post-Vieria was brilliant, them two mostly doing it in a 2 man midfield in Europe rather than Chelsea always using a 3 man midfield when most in the Prem were still in the past, so the 433 was just as helpful.

And then obviously he won a world cup playing next to Kleberson......Makelele on the whole is a better player for the DM role, but Gilberto has more to his game and is hugely underrated, but still both DM's are gonna shutout the two players they'll be on in this game with ease really.

Jayvin

When I mentioned Gilberto and Makelele....I was clearly talking about their years in the Premiership as I clearly alluded to the money and better team Chelsea had. Had Makelele retired in 2003, he wouldn't have been picked in the first round here, probably not until the last few rounds. It was his time in England that made him as popular as he is now(was barely a France regular beforehand either.)
What are you on about? Makelele was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world at Madrid. Won the CL in 2002 playing as the sole defensive midfielder, as i said before. Also, he was up against Didier Deschamps in the France setup until 2000, so it's a bit unfair to criticise him for not being a regular.

If Makelele had retired in 2003, i'd still have him above Gilberto.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Which is why I picked him in that position.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea

In Chelsea he played with a superb cb partnership behind and Lampard and Essien in front of him mainly. Whereas Gilberto didn't have that kind of stableness around him, his partnership with Fabregas post-Vieria was brilliant, them two mostly doing it in a 2 man midfield in Europe rather than Chelsea always using a 3 man midfield when most in the Prem were still in the past, so the 433 was just as helpful.

And then obviously he won a world cup playing next to Kleberson......Makelele on the whole is a better player for the DM role, but Gilberto has more to his game and is hugely underrated, but still both DM's are gonna shutout the two players they'll be on in this game with ease really.
Makelele was better than the other midfielders around him at Chelsea, Essien did not arrive until 2005 and had a so so first season whereas Lampard was focused on going forward - it is Makelele who held the whole team together in that period, he was our deep lying playmaker and the reason why we conceded so few goals.

It is no coincidence that when he left our midfield was no longer indestructible - he was our most important player and Mourinho's player of the season in two title winning seasons, the only midfielder on the world stage since his retirement that compares to him is Busquets.

To compare Gilberto to him is akin to comparing Benitez to Ferguson.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
It is no coincidence that Real Madrid's decline and Chelsea's rise were aligned, just at the time Makelele moved between the two.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He was referring to the point in the draft when he picked him. Zen is saying he could have had better players at the tip of that diamond. I happen to agree. In fact, I thought he would go for Juninho, but wasn't surprised his blue-tinted glasses got the better of him.

Rather irrelevant here though as the two anchors are way better than the guy they are on and will cancel them out.

I'm not voting within the group, personal choice, but am surprised at how sour it went for Brian after that tactical change. It underestimated Dan's team and overrated his (much like his posts :lol:). Is it that some fence-sitters/undecided voters were prompted to punish his cockiness?

Cold_Boy

Brian, this is a PR disaster, you clearly need to make your team more likeable.

I suggest you get rid of all the Chelsea players :lol:
No its not that.

I was going for Brain's team when I first saw both the teams. Then something hit me and voted hastily.

And tbf its a very very close call and the verdict depends on how people perceive the tactics of both teams.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Good match there Brian. Could have gone either way and it might have been a different story had you started with the team you finished with.

Was good to have a little debate too, makes it a bit more interesting to follow, shame that some of the threads don't get that

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Good match there Brian. Could have gone either way and it might have been a different story had you started with the team you finished with.

Was good to have a little debate too, makes it a bit more interesting to follow, shame that some of the threads don't get that
I thought going for a stiffer midfield against your diamond would have won it for me but alas not, well done.