Aïssatou Tounkara joins United

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Good news. The story had been circulating for a while, so I'd have been disappointed if she hadn't arrived. A very necessary addition of quality and experience in the centre of the defence.

Also a vital addition in terms of squad strength, we were looking very thin at centre back.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The Women's team seem to have been quite active in the summer. What's the realistic aim for the season?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The Women's team seem to have been quite active in the summer. What's the realistic aim for the season?
So much depends on how new signings (at all the top WSL clubs) settle in that it's hard to know.

On the face of it, we've recruited to remain in the top four, but it's not obvious we can break into top three (and get a chance at a CL place)

City started last season badly but ended it well. We were in the running for top three for most of the season - but couldn't survive losing both of our first choice central defenders (Mannion and Turner) with long term injuries. It didn't help that we also had injury problems with their stand-ins, and in defensive midfield.

Even with the reinforcements though, I can't help but think that we're relying on other teams underachieving to get to the top. I'm not writing us off, I've still got my anything's possible preseason, rose-tinted spectacles on.

If Tounkara, Le Tissier and Garcia in particular find their feet quickly - and the pieces fit together we could be looking at a very good team.

I am of course assuming that Earps, Toone and Russo will be flying, and that Millie Turner gets back to full fitness, and that etc etc etc :lol:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So much depends on how new signings (at all the top WSL clubs) settle in that it's hard to know.

On the face of it, we've recruited to remain in the top four, but it's not obvious we can break into top three (and get a chance at a CL place)

City started last season badly but ended it well. We were in the running for top three for most of the season - but couldn't survive losing both of our first choice central defenders (Mannion and Turner) with long term injuries. It didn't help that we also had injury problems with their stand-ins, and in defensive midfield.

Even with the reinforcements though, I can't help but think that we're relying on other teams underachieving to get to the top. I'm not writing us off, I've still got my anything possible preseason, rose-tinted spectacle on.

If Tounkara, Le Tissier and Garcia in particular find their feet quickly - and the pieces fit together we could be looking at a very good team.

I am of course assuming that Earps, Toone and Russo will be flying, and that Millie Turner gets back to full fitness, and that etc etc etc :lol:
Thanks for that, very informative! Fingers crossed for a good season. I'm hoping to get to a couple of games along the way

Jacob

Do you get professional female players that are out due to pregnancy?

antk

That's a self-induced "injury", I'm sure their contracts regulate that somehow. No pay during pregnancy or something.
Don't know about the UK but there's absolutely no chance that this would be legal in many countries.

Jacob

Cool, so they can sign a five-year contract and then have five babies back to back?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Do you get professional female players that are out due to pregnancy?
Yep.

Often, it's a player towards the end of their career - Siobhan Chamberlain didn't return as a player after she had her baby for example.

Sometimes, the ones who get pregnant do return after giving birth though. Internationally, the most famous one is probably Alex Morgan. Not surprisingly it can take a while for them to get back to full form and fitness.

In England the standard WSL pro contract was amended recently to include pregnancy, long-term sickness, and injury cover - the old one said that they could sack you after 3 months (even if it was a playing injury like an ACL). The big clubs had already changed their policy though - so United did keep Siobhan on contract, and most WSL1 (the full-time professional League) clubs had already stopped sacking injured players.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Cool, so they can sign a five-year contract and then have five babies back to back?
It's very rare to see a long contract in the women's game. Two years is typical, and longer contracts have break clauses and options in them, often making them dependant on playing time and using bonuses.

United contracts are typically two years with United having an option they can choose to trigger for a third year - we've got a worryingly large number of players in that extra year category now including Russo, Batlle and Groenen.

That said, I doubt any pro player is there in order not to play. They're playing because they enjoy playing, they're ambitious about playing and they're committed to it.

In short. It's really not a problem.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good news. The story had been circulating for a while, so I'd have been disappointed if she hadn't arrived. A very necessary addition of quality and experience in the centre of the defence.

Also a vital addition in terms of squad strength, we were looking very thin at centre back.
Saw you were hopeful we would get her. Good news.

pacifictheme

Well yeah just like in any line of work this can happen. There is sometimes a buffer period between babies but it's not that long if at all.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I don't know how well Aissatou speaks English, or if Jade Moore speaks French - but hopefully they're communicating some way. Maybe in Spanish? They played together at Atletico Madrid for a while.

It's nice to see her in the training photos. That means the whole squad are now together.