A.Bola - The complete interview with Bruno Fernandes

mu4c_20le

Really interesting deep dive into the mind of our captain. I translated it and only put the good parts so hopefully should be alright to post.

Manchester United and National Team midfielder talks about his expectations for Euro-2024, his club and the criticisms made of him, Sporting and also gives a true master class on what a 'playmaker' should be

- Talking now about what this Selection is with Roberto Martínez, what was the first thing you thought of when the selector told you that he was going to be the first organizer, a kind of 8?

- Not at all, because the first time we played we had a three-man defense, with two midfielders and then we had two wingers inside, two 10s basically, and two wingers and a striker. I knew that the position where I could fit would be either at 8 or in one of the two most advanced places, but obviously later, as the games went on, I almost always had Bernardo ahead of me and that was also one of the dynamics that the manager liked to see and wanted to keep it. That exchange of positions between me and Bernardo , since we both can do it and know what we have to do in each of them... That rotation that sometimes ends up happening naturally is not thought about, worked on or trained, the coach simply knows that we can do it to do. We both understand each other very well playing together and it's a dynamic that works very well. But that first time, I wanted to play, regardless of the position I put myself in. We all just want to play and play for as long as possible. I was a little indifferent to the position I was going to put myself in.

- But, for those who have already publicly admitted that they really like the last pass, the finishing and the shot, doesn't the retreat on the field take away some of the joy of playing? Just a little bit?

- No, because, if we look at it, I was the player with the most assists. I continued to score a lot of goals, five or six, I don't remember exactly...

- I wasn't talking specifically about the statistical part, because Bruno naturally stands out, but rather about his presence on the field and whether he feels somewhat embarrassed about being further away from the area...

- No, because the manager gives me a lot of freedom in the way I carry out my duties and I also really like having the ball. At the beginning of my career, I was always an 8, never a 10. When I went to Italy I became more of a 10, although sometimes I was also playing as an 8, so much so that in the under-21 team I was always an 8 with coach Rui Jorge... In the His famous diamond I was almost always one of the 8 and rarely one of the 10, and it's a position in which I feel good. I can pick up more in the game, I have more ball, I can change the dynamics, I can speed up, slow down, I reach the area a lot in the same way… The coach gives me a lot of freedom of movement and, as I mentioned, that change of position with Bernardo also gives me It often frees you to be in more offensive moments. I also know that Bernardo likes to drop down and keep the ball, so it's about understanding between two players so that the best can be brought out from each one. I know that I can feed his game with movement with the ball and unnerve the opposing team, given that he has a lot of quality to hide it, and that means that I will also be further forward later. The team's own dynamics allowed me to always play very high up in this qualification and very much in the last third. What we talked about about the last pass, which I really like even playing lower, having wingers so fast and wingers so open allows me to make a lot of long passes, which is something I also like... And it's so much so that in the middle of the game, Right after making a long pass, I always hear someone's voice saying 'you're going to cry ' . They know perfectly well that it is also one of my qualities. It was probably the qualification in which I felt freest positionally, having the obligation to start from such a fixed position.

Nobody scored as many penalties as Bruno Fernandes for Manchester United. The record is yours and the effectiveness largely comes from a gesture that you have perfected over many years. In an exclusive interview with A BOLA, the midfielder reveals the moment he realized he had found the right formula for the 11 meters.
- He is the greatest penalty taker in the history of Manchester United . Where does the inspiration for that half-stop come from?

- I already told this story once. I took penalties differently. If you look at my penalty against Napoli , which was the first one I took as a professional in a senior team, at Udinese, I made a quick stop two steps away from the ball. I stopped and still had one or two steps to hit the ball. I looked at the goalkeeper a lot earlier. In the past, batsmen weren't studied so much and, in that game, I hit and the ball went under the goalkeeper's arm and it was a goal. I failed the second one. I had two penalties in the same game, against Napoli . I was still very young, I felt a lot of pressure to hit. It was the first time that the coach told me that I would be the one to take the penalties... We had very experienced players and the coach told everyone before the game that it would be me. As soon as he did, I felt that pressure, that there was going to be a penalty in the game. I continued to play like that, I thought I wasn't having much success and then I went to Sampdoria. Then, I wasn't the main hitter and I had a coach, Mister Lilo [ed: Salvatore Foti] , who was even part of Mister José Mourinho's technical team now at Roma , who said to me 'Oh Bruno , why don't you look to the goalkeeper just in your last step?'. I trained differently, without jumping, just with one step, but with one step I didn't feel very comfortable because the balance of the body wasn't as good and the foot wasn't in the place where I wanted it... When I took the step it was already very close to the ball and didn't have time to lift my head and take a good look... The stop came from there. He was giving tips and said 'try a little jump and see if we can do it'. I started training him, that started to go well, until I came to Sporting, where Bas Dost also looked at the goalkeeper in the last step. But Bas had bigger legs than my body and, in time for him to put his left foot in and his right foot to reach the ball, the goalkeeper had to move or he would never get there again. I also watched how Bas did it and he gave me tips. I learned at Sampdoria, I improved at Sporting with Bas Dost.

- At any point did you think it would be as effective as it is?

- Yes, from the moment I started to see that the goalkeepers who trained with me had a lot of difficulties and I did that every day. They rarely hit the ball or, when they did, it was too late to get to the ball. I started to feel confident, thinking 'this has everything to work out'. If I have three goalkeepers on the team, they all went in goal, we trained every week and they knew what I was doing, I started to feel very comfortable. I told them exactly 'I feel more comfortable kicking to one side', 'I feel less comfortable kicking to the other', 'if you move first...', I told them everything that was going on in my head. I thought like this: 'These guys will know, but I'm going to the game and the goalkeeper who's going to defend won't know'. I would rather they train than know everything I thought, and then I would see if it was difficult or not to defend… I started thinking 'this really has an effect…' There's a lot going on in the goalkeeper's head: 'What's going on? I make?' 'He's going to jump, can I get out first?' 'Do I pretend to go one way and go the other?'. Then, as time passes, the goalkeepers obviously start training, they will become more experienced, they watch videos, they see your face, they see your eyes. Today, there is a great dynamic to know everything and anything. And I also started to adapt and now I have three ways of hitting. I focus a lot on the moment of the game, on the goalkeeper in front of me, because I study him beforehand, but also on what I feel at the moment in terms of confidence. Let's imagine it's a penalty at the last minute, I'll go with what I feel most confident in doing at that moment. I can feel that the jump is where I feel most confident in front of that goalkeeper, because he's tall, he has little mobility, he's not that explosive, for a thousand and one reasons... Or that it's better to go straight to the ball with a dry hit because I don't There's so much explosiveness to get to the corners... With that, I'm going to play with the goalkeeper, since we haven't had many penalties lately. However, two or three years ago, we had a huge wave of penalties and I had to reinvent myself.

Do you want to be a playmaker? Bruno Fernandes reveals everything you need to think about
Regarding the difficulties that Manchester United have been experiencing in positional attack, Bruno Fernandes revealed his line of thought regarding the team's way of playing and ended up drawing differences for the rival from the same city and even for the National Team. A pearl in an exclusive interview with A BOLA.

- The number 8 role he has in the Seleção has not been replicated in Manchester United , even though some of the criticisms made against the team focus on the difficulties of construction in midfield. There was even talk several times about players who could be signed, such as Frenkie de Jong , to help resolve this situation. But with Bruno showing in the Seleção what he can count as an 8, did you discuss with the coach the application of the same model at the club? In recent games, he has even played even higher up, alongside McTominay or even alone up front...

- Right now, I'm really playing the spearhead...

- A false 9, right?

- No, it's not the false 9. I don't do those movements. The ones I make are not false 9 because I'm not very used to them. I try my best to make those movements that the coach wants. He also asks me to go down, because my qualities are not to be there on the last line and fight with the central defenders, although I can and will try to do it to the fullest when necessary and the team needs it. I have played, however, especially last season with coach Ten Hag, who is shorter. In fact, against Everton , I played 6 and I still think it was one of the most complete games I've played, at all levels. In terms of passing, game organization, defense, tactics... I have a little in my head that I'm going to end my career further back, because everyone who started there and went to 10 ended up retreating on the field at the end. It's a position I like, playing lower, more facing the game. With the ball, it makes my game a lot easier because I have a broader view of the game and is ideal for what we talked about about the last pass... which can sometimes come from lower on the pitch. The game with Everton was the one in which I created the most scoring opportunities even though I was playing lower and not playing as a 10.

- We were talking about Manchester United ’s difficulties in building…

- The construction of the game is not due to the defense, the midfield or just the attack, because it is often done by several movements, by several components necessary for the team to have the correct options to be able to play. If we have transition players, it ends up being difficult for them to become players in possession. His qualities are more in the counterattack than in keeping the ball. We have to be aware that in our team the wingers and strikers, and probably excluding Martial , who likes more to come and look for the game, who is more of a striker with the ball at his feet, holding defenders back, are more of a counter player. -attack, offensive transition, more with the ball in depth than with the ball at the foot. The ball at the foot appears more in the last third, so that they can then get into the 1x1, another of their greatest qualities.

- It's a very different reality to that of Manchester City ...

- Manchester United 's identity has never been about playing a lot of supported football, it is a team with a lot of intensity, intense and offensive football. That's the club's idea. Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking that all teams have to play in possession... I want to play in possession, I want to have the ball as much as possible. It's obvious, because players who like to play with the ball want to have it as much as possible, but sometimes we have to fit into the environment we're in. And it's not possible for us to play in the same way as Manchester City , because Manchester City has supporting wingers, very good in 1x1 too, but footballers who really like to play in support and also inside. I can't ask Rashford and Garnacho , pure wingers, to play inside in the same way as others who perhaps started their careers as midfielders or as number 10s and fell to the lines. I can't ask Rashford or Garnacho to do what Bernardo does when he plays as a winger. It's a completely wrong idea, because Bernardo knows how to be between the lines, he's used to being in the middle and playing from the back is not as simple as it seems. People sometimes have this idea that all players have to do what others do. No, we have specific characteristics that define us as players and make us very good at doing what we do. People have to understand that we do what enhances the quality of the player alongside us. People say ' Bruno needs to keep the ball more', but obviously if I'm playing in position 10 and the ball goes between the lines and I spin... and when the ball goes between the lines it's because the pressure was high... At the moment in which I turn, the pressure is on my back and I can't go back, because if I go back I'll meet the pressure. The ball comes and I can play support or simply keep it and go to the wing. However, if I rotate and have my two wingers making the movement in depth, my option is either to carry the ball, wall with my striker or watch the depth of my wingers. If my extremes are more open, what do I think they want? Ball at the foot to take advantage of the 1x1. I have to play with the quality I have at my side.

- When I go to the Seleção I won't give Bernardo depth . I know that Bernardo will not run deep, nor is it a characteristic of his that enhances our team. But if I catch the ball and Leão is already running, I'll probably put the ball deep, because I know he has incredible speed. Or I wait a little longer for the opposing defense to drop and Leão to open up more, and I give him the ball for what he likes most, which is going 1x1. If I play Félix , then I'll probably give him a stronger pass between the lines. If it's Jota, I'll play a deep pass between the center and the wing. Pedro Neto I can either go deep in the box or on the foot, because he is also a 1x1 player. And I could continue here... If I play Cristiano , I can either play on the wall or in those movements he likes to make behind the striker. The short diagonal... With Gonçalo Ramos it's more of a movement when I'm close to the area, he goes around the central defender and likes to see the cross, or he goes around the central defender in front and attacks the first post. I have to know the players who play with me. I do this reading very well, but I realize that, from the outside, people want to play in a certain way and don't understand the reading of the game or the player.

- There are so many coaches out there now, aren't there?

- (Laughter) I don't know if it's a coach or not, I like to read, I like to know how... Because I also like the people who play with me to enhance me to the maximum... If a winger goes in a 1x1 situation and attacks the area and they know that I'm still there outside of it, I think most of them know that I like the ball slowly backwards to shoot at goal, because it's one of my greatest qualities. Or, for example, when Bernardo drags the full-back and stops, and I'm there at the edge of the area, he knows I want the ball slowly to put in a cross. It's little things. If we know the player we will enhance our teammate and, at the same time, the team.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH BRUNO FERNANDES - PART 2 «Bad temper? Intense players are difficult to understand»

In an exclusive interview with A BOLA, Bruno Fernandes spoke of the criticism he receives when he is seen gesturing too much with his teammates, even questioning his attitude as team captain.

- There has been a growth in your influence on the national team. We know that there are always several leaders on a team, but we see him more and more pointing, gesturing, showing himself as a leader on the field... A more strategic leader, without the armband.

- It's a little natural. I don't think much about this issue. Many times it goes well, many times it goes badly. There are people who like it, others who don't like it. There are people who see pointing as bragging, because for us in the field it is difficult to convey messages in the way we are here talking. It's practically impossible. Normally, we have to use our arms more, gesture. We are too far away from each other to be able to understand the messages we want to convey to each other. It's like I say... It comes a little natural to me, it's not because I want to be more of a leader. It's part of my game. I never hid, regardless of whether I was with older or younger players. If I think I have to convey a message, I will always convey it for the benefit of the team and the player I'm sending it to as well.

- Why do all great leaders seem to have bad tempers?

- We always see the issue of bad temper... For example, when we have a coach who is tough, demanding, the player often sees this as bad. I get along well with coaches who are quite demanding. I got along very well with Jorge Jesus, who is a coach who almost no one says is easy to deal with. I dealt with him very well, because I like demanding people, I like people who demand from me, because the fact that they demand from me means that I am never asleep, never satisfied with what I have. I like that the players next to me are also demanding of me, that they ask me for more, that they ask me to make less mistakes. This often conveys the image of bad temper, because it comes from the way we experience the game, from how we are so intense... and intense players are difficult to understand. I have this notion that there are probably a lot of people who don't like certain things I do, but in every locker room I go to, I always say that if a player doesn't feel comfortable with the way I talk to him, with the way I I convey the message to you, I am open to not doing it or to trying to do it in another way. They tell me 'Hey Bruno, I prefer that, when the game stops, you come to my side and tell me', because there are players who are very sorry when, for example, they miss a pass and you tell them 'don't look for that pass, look for another '. Obviously, outside, if someone sees me gesturing, what do they think? He's complaining because his colleague missed the pass... And, often, the public will say 'Bruno is right, his colleague shouldn't have missed the pass' or, on the other hand, they say 'fire, how annoying! He's complaining to the boy who missed the pass'. So there are players where I have to get close to them. At the end of the play, I approach and say 'don't watch that pass, watch the first movement and let that movement appear. He will drag players and play the ball in the second movement'. I'm giving an example. There are players who have to be given the message this way because they don't deal well with the message immediately after the error.

- And when the message is for you?

- I'm a player who gets upset with an immediate message right after a mistake, but I get upset with myself, because I know I made a mistake. I take an unnecessary hard time because I should have done something differently, thought better, decided better. We are all different, in the same way that all fans are different. Some will think one way about Bruno, others another, and I have to accept both. I accept that very well. I have no problem with people thinking I have a bad temper, because I have found many supporters, especially rivals, who end up saying 'fire, and isn't he a good person? It has nothing to do with what it is like on the field.' On the field, these are experiences, they are moments, they are seconds in which emotions are on the surface, in which we have to transmit things as quickly as possible and in the way we think is most immediate to get results.

- But have you ever had these episodes in the locker room, have they ever come to you and told you directly, for example, 'don't talk to me like that'?

- I never had that 'don't talk to me like that' confrontation. I have had the perception of players who feel very down if someone talks to them or if I talk to them. I myself have to have this notion that I am harming him instead of helping him, that I am getting less income from him than I want. If it's having the opposite effect, I'll go directly to the person and ask 'don't you feel good about the way I convey the message?' Would you prefer to do it another way? Would you rather wait for the game to stop or wait for halftime? Would you prefer someone to pass the message on to you? I have to find solutions. I put myself in their shoes. If someone said something to me that hurt my game I would feel bad during the match, I wouldn't feel good about myself. We start to think about too many things, especially when we are younger. I learned over time. When I arrived in Italy, and the Italians are also very tough, very rigid and hierarchy is something that exists and has to be respected as much as possible, I quickly learned that here is the coach, here are the older people, here are the kids and then you come, who has just joined the first team. The kids are still all over you. I learned a lot the Italian way, the hard way, how to deal with the locker room, because I was also lucky to have many experienced colleagues within that locker room, who played the role of talking to me and trying to understand how I felt better, on the field and elsewhere. I've been learning and it's one of the things I try to do. I probably have a lot to improve, but I'm trying to do so in order to get the most out of my teammates.

RedDevil@84

Great read. Thank you for the translation.

Not sure what this is about though In the past, batsmen weren't studied so much and, in that game

mu4c_20le

Great read. Thank you for the translation.

Not sure what this is about though In the past, batsmen weren't studied so much and, in that game
Antigamente, não se estudava tanto o batedor e, nesse jogo, bati e a bola passou por baixo do braço do guarda-redes e foi golo.
This is the part, I think he meant in the old days you didn't study taking the shot so in depth, but I'll leave a native portuguese speaker to correct

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can see him going into coaching/management after his playing days

Hoof the ball

I can see him going into coaching/management after his playing days
Yeah, sounds like he has a mind for it.

Tell you who I think will make a fantastic manager. Thomas Muller. Listened to him talk frankly about tactics the other day and his head if proper screwed on.

InfiniteBoredom

The part about our attacking players not having the qualities in possession to play any other way than on the transition is pretty obvious, but nice to see him acknowledging it himself. I think to an extent, Antony has also been a victim of this, he can get past his man in the first 5-10 yards and in a team that plays a cogent high press, he can have options to interchange passes with or slip one through, in a proper foot race he’s beaten more often than not and that basically take away 80% of his game. You can even say the same of Sancho although his ineffectiveness was also down to effort level. We are stuck in a Groundhog Day loop of always playing on the counter eventually because our best performing players are counter attackers, and vice versa, they perform the best because the system we have the propensity to play suits them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Abola is a terrible name. Like naming your kids Vince McMahon and Vinca McMahonia.

AfonsoAlves

Reminds me of the footballer Ade Adebola, who had to put out a public statement during the West African pandemic that he, in fact, did not have Ebola.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
This is something, he's basically throwing the Wingers under the bus for our lack of possession footy.

mav_9me

Yeah, sounds like he has a mind for it.

Tell you who I think will make a fantastic manager. Thomas Muller. Listened to him talk frankly about tactics the other day and his head if proper screwed on.
Where can we listen?

Gordon S

Love him. Seems so passionate. Both our Portugese players are.
Also believe he could drop deeper and play quite well as a cm if needed. He has the work rate, the passing range and the technical qualities. Only worry is his defensive qualities. Amad could take his place further up the pitch.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's always the fecking batsmen that's being studied to no end. Batman fandom needs to stop coming up with bullshit fanfictions.

Anyway it's clear to see he has an in depth knowledge about his position and his team mates' characteristics. So he's not just a through ball merchant with no football knowledge after all. Unlike what the caf said.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

- Manchester United 's identity has never been about playing a lot of supported football, it is a team with a lot of intensity, intense and offensive football. That's the club's idea. Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking that all teams have to play in possession... I want to play in possession, I want to have the ball as much as possible. It's obvious, because players who like to play with the ball want to have it as much as possible, but sometimes we have to fit into the environment we're in. And it's not possible for us to play in the same way as Manchester City , because Manchester City has supporting wingers, very good in 1x1 too, but footballers who really like to play in support and also inside. I can't ask Rashford and Garnacho , pure wingers, to play inside in the same way as others who perhaps started their careers as midfielders or as number 10s and fell to the lines. I can't ask Rashford or Garnacho to do what Bernardo does when he plays as a winger. It's a completely wrong idea, because Bernardo knows how to be between the lines, he's used to being in the middle and playing from the back is not as simple as it seems. People sometimes have this idea that all players have to do what others do. No, we have specific characteristics that define us as players and make us very good at doing what we do. People have to understand that we do what enhances the quality of the player alongside us. People say ' Bruno needs to keep the ball more', but obviously if I'm playing in position 10 and the ball goes between the lines and I spin... and when the ball goes between the lines it's because the pressure was high... At the moment in which I turn, the pressure is on my back and I can't go back, because if I go back I'll meet the pressure. The ball comes and I can play support or simply keep it and go to the wing. However, if I rotate and have my two wingers making the movement in depth, my option is either to carry the ball, wall with my striker or watch the depth of my wingers. If my extremes are more open, what do I think they want? Ball at the foot to take advantage of the 1x1. I have to play with the quality I have at my side.
Said it many times, Bruno is perfectly capable of playing possession football. But Caf experts with agenda just tell otherwise. And they're always the loudest and relentless.

Imho, he missed having someone like Martial up front, who's skilful with the ball and capable of playmaking himself. And I actually prefer Martial's type of striker, instead of a battering ram's type.

Last edited:

saivet

Said it many times, Bruno is perfectly capable of playing possession football. But Caf experts with agenda just tell otherwise. And they're always the loudest and relentless.

Imho, he missed having someone like Martial up front, who's skilful with the ball and capable of playmaking himself. And I actually prefer Martial's type of striker, instead of a battering ram's type.
I don't think the question is whether he can be more reserved to play in a possession based side, to me it then becomes a question of his usefulness and other midfielders being a better fit to the style than him. If you're building a team that is based on possession football, I wouldn't want a play like Bruno in my midfield.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't think the question is whether he can be more reserved to play in a possession based side, to me it then becomes a question of his usefulness and other midfielders being a better fit to the style than him. If you're building a team that is based on possession football, I wouldn't want a play like Bruno in my midfield.
Would you refuse KdB in your midfield?

saivet

Would you refuse KdB in your midfield?
Of course not but I think KdB is a vastly better player than Bruno. To me there are some players that are so good that they would fit into any side and I don't think Bruno is at that level.

Ludens the Red

-
I understand what he’s saying which is essentially that we can’t play possession football because we have direct wingers right?
I personally dont want us playing like city anyway. I prefer how Liverpool and Arsenal play. But what I would say is that Liverpool have always had very direct wingers rather than ‘natural number tens’ on their wings through Klopp reign but they still have large amounts of possession. Arsenal have Saka and Martinelli, it doesn’t stop them playing possession football and being effective, creating options for the more advanced central midfielders etc. Dunno maybe it was a polite way of calling our wingers shite. Which to be fair is true in the case of most of them. But it certainly isn’t because they’re not Bernardo Silva and didn’t start their careers as number tens…

youngrell

Great little interview and insight from him. He clearly enjoys playing a lot with Bernardo, we saw tiny glimpses of his connection with Mata while he was here which is probably very similar to the relationship he has with Silva.

And of course he always seemed to work well with Martial. Hopefully he can find a better understanding with Rasmus.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is something, he's basically throwing the Wingers under the bus for our lack of possession footy.

Well that quote, as @Frank White states, is Fernandes claiming it’s other players who cannot play possessive football, and not the most profligate passer we have… Also, just because Fernandes says he wants to do something doesn’t mean he physically can to an optimal level. :lol:

Comparing our wingers to Bernardo Silva is a bit bizarre. He should be the Bernardo Silva type, if anything.
I understand what he’s saying which is essentially that we can’t play possession football because we have direct wingers right?
I personally dont want us playing like city anyway. I prefer how Liverpool and Arsenal play. But what I would say is that Liverpool have always had very direct wingers rather than ‘natural number tens’ on their wings through Klopp reign but they still have large amounts of possession. Arsenal have Saka and Martinelli, it doesn’t stop them playing possession football and being effective, creating options for the more advanced central midfielders etc. Dunno maybe it was a polite way of calling our wingers shite. Which to be fair is true in the case of most of them. But it certainly isn’t because they’re not Bernardo Silva and didn’t start their careers as number tens…
Precisely. It’s a very strange quote and removes all culpability from Mr Chances Created and all onto our “pure wingers”. Those padded stats wouldn’t look anywhere near as fluffed if our “pure wingers” weren’t so direct with his long balls too…

youngrell

As direct as some of those players are, I would say Saka, Salah and Mane etc are still a fair bit better and more natural in possession than Rashford who is much more of a straight line kinda player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As direct as some of those players are, I would say Saka, Salah and Mane etc are still a fair bit better and more natural in possession than Rashford who is much more of a straight line kinda player.
They might be, but they also have a far greater linkup attacking midfielder behind them in Odegaard. The idea that it’s Rashford and Garnacho preventing a player who has spent his entire career punting low percentage passes in exchange for high reward outcomes is pretty damn ridiculous.

I’ve just reread that last line too — “I have to play with the quality I have at my side.” — this is a player who has had free reigns his entire Manchester United and Sporting career and his style of play hasn’t changed once. That’s a pretty nutty line to drop, but it’s being eaten up?

rooney2009

Amazing football Knowledge and very intelligent impressive interview
He is definitely going to be a future Football Manager

youngrell

They might be, but they also have a far greater linkup attacking midfielder behind them in Odegaard. The idea that it’s Rashford and Garnacho preventing a player who has spent his entire career punting low percentage passes in exchange for high reward outcomes is pretty damn ridiculous.

I’ve just reread that last line too — “I have to play with the quality I have at my side.” — this is a player who has had free reigns his entire Manchester United and Sporting career and his style of play hasn’t changed once. That’s a pretty nutty line to drop, but it’s being eaten up?
I think you are misinterpreting that quote. I don't think he is having a dig at the lack of quality, he's saying he adapts his approach to the strengths of his team mates in any given situation.

Grande

No, quite the opposite, he is pointing out that ordinary people sometimes think that possession football is the only way and that all wide attackers must play like Grealish/Foden/Silva, whereas he points out that that isn’t true, and neither is it what is most important in the tradition of Man Utd.

He is not saying that the only alternative is low block-long ball-counter football, quite the opposite, he is pointing to many ways of playing, but he is underscoring how it’s more important to get the most out of the strengths available than to just try to imitate the currently most successful team.

Grande

I think it’s confused in robot translation. From the context, he’s not talking about ‘quality’ as ‘good - bad’, he’s talking about different players having different styles and strengths, including himself, and players need to enhance each other.

Bruno has played very differently for Portugal in various versions of the NT, it’s not true he only has one play style. Rather, spotting runs and making a broad variety long to medium range passes quickly is a strength of his that makes sense to use if you like United have players who are much more dangerous 1-vs-1 or behind the lines (Rashford, Garnacho).

The fact that Bruno has been rating absurd levels of key passes, assists, xGchain with as different attackers around him as Bas Dost, Martial, Rashford, Ronaldo, Højlund, Gomez, Felix tells you the variety of his game. Neither of the teams he has been with has been possession fanatics, but he has played in several lineups that has played football where possession is an important part (Sporting, Portugal, Udinese). That doesn’t mean his role in such teams won’t be to step out of ball retention to attempt penetrative passes, bringing his completes passes stats down.