A caretaker manager

kps88

Possibly. That's why I asked. He's currently a sporting director in Russia. Hardly a glowing endorsement is it?
That's probably what would make him attainable as a caretaker. None of the top managers are going to want to join just as a caretaker.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Possibly. That's why I asked. He's currently a sporting director in Russia. Hardly a glowing endorsement is it?

Hardly think the creator of the gengenpress is what we need with Ronaldo either. That won't work with Ronnie.
For a caretaker he's a excellent choice. He did the same at RB Leipzig when Hassenhuttl resigned and he took the reigns for a full season before Leipzig were able to get their preferred target which was Nagelsmann. And in that season, Leipzig achieved the best defensive record in the league which Nagelsmann couldn't better and Leipzig scored a similar amount of goals as what Nagelsmann's teams produced.

But having said that, he probably won't be available as Caretaker.

Revaulx

He is English

It’s important for this new wave of English nationalism that there is inside the club
Not sure about that. The "young British core" bollocks was consigned to the bin ages ago, i.e. prior to the signing of Bruno. Cavani, Varane and Ronaldo are hardly British. Or young...

What Southgate has going for him is that he gets on with the press and will align himself unquestioningly to the Board's strategy. In other words, a yes man.

Fearthegrimp

We were good under Ron Atkinson for around 10 games in 1985. And who can forget that result against Oxford on 7th Sept? Many a Norman sired that evening. If Big Ron is still available, I reckon we page him sharpish (before Newcastle get their grubby mitts on him)

Dominos

Ralf Rangnick? Really? Is that the answer? The guy has never won a league title or European trophy as a coach and we want to put him in the hot seat against Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.

We have to separate the 'being better than Ole' managers from the ones good enough to actually deliver the expectations the fans have surely? Otherwise surely it's just another few years wasted again?

Not overly inspired by that choice at all. Am I being too harsh there? Is he going to put the fear back into our domestic rivals?
Few years? I think you have misunderstood the word "caretaker"...

If the right candidate isn't available till the summer, you appoint an competent interim until then. We need someone to salvage this season because we're in huge danger of finishing outside top 4 and getting elimated at CL group stage if we persist with Ole.

Jezpeza

Maybe not us, but I’d actually like to see him manage a top team with actual quality players. Hes always steadying ships and trying to get a tune out of shit squads to keep them in the league etc. has a reputation as a ‘long ball’ manager but i have watched some of his teams play some nice stuff. Just always been in charge b or c list teams

Jezpeza

Few years? I think you have misunderstood the word "caretaker"...

If the right candidate isn't available till the summer, you appoint an competent interim until then. We need someone to salvage this season because we're in huge danger of finishing outside top 4 and getting elimated at CL group stage if we persist with Ole.
I think if we persist with Ole we will not finish 4th. We arent finishing above pool, city or chelski so we have one shot at CL. Conte is 2 points behind at spurs with a game in hand, west ham and brighton looking good as dark horses and with nothing to lose. Though ropey, Arsenal only have league games. And we are just limp and dropping points in easy games.

MagooDad

Maybe people don't want another Norweigian, but I would seriously let Kjetil Knutsen have the team until next season.

The guy have only done two years as head coach of a professional team. His first year he came 2nd with relegation fodder.

The second year won the league the year after, only losing one game. Then he won 6-1 over Mourinho with a squad worth less then one of CR7's Instagram posts.

Guys obviously a genius.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Rangnick
Favre
Wenger
Valverede
Koeman
Blanc

Come on, why is to so hard ? We need a change now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Rangnick
Favre
Wenger
Valverede
Koeman
Blanc

Come on, why is to so hard ? We need a change now.
It's hard and could become even harder as we're expecting same people who appointed LvG, Mou & Ole will suddenly step out of their comfort zone and do the right decision.

At this rate, amount of names thrown at us every week will reach 50 at the end of the season and only one manager to choose.

ShinjiNinja26

Seems the board aren’t keen on Rangnick becoming interim as he’d like a directors role afterwards and we may be in danger of becoming a competent football club.

Lee565

I would be happy with bringing LvG back for the rest of the season but I doubt he would entertain it after how the club treated a manager like him that was actually trying to help evolve our football compared to how they have accommodated much more time to moyes 2.0 in ole who is purely only out for himself and not for the benefit of the club hence all the chopping and changing of players, formation and tactical set ups.

This side would be tailor made for LvG as we now have the goalscorers that we lacked under him when he was in charge with the likes of Greenwood, ronaldo and cavani.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I would be happy with bringing LvG back for the rest of the season but I doubt he would entertain it after how the club treated a manager like him that was actually trying to help evolve our football compared to how they have accommodated much more time to moyes 2.0 in ole who is purely only out for himself and not for the benefit of the club hence all the chopping and changing of players, formation and tactical set ups.

This side would be tailor made for LvG as we now have the goalscorers that we lacked under him when he was in charge with the likes of Greenwood, ronaldo and cavani.
A side that couldn't pass to save their collective lives?

Lee565

A side that couldn't pass to save their collective lives?
Only because ole favours defensive players and physical attributes over technically gifted players.

Matic, sanco and van der beek would definitely be in an LvG side over mctominay, fred and bruno

goptun

I know we're desperate, but are we Harry Redknapp and Van Gaal desperate? Rangnick, Wenger, or Favre with Ten Hag in the summer and I'll be able to sleep soundly. Brick Top 'Arry or the return of the Mad Dutchman would be the end of the end, universe-ending black hole type shit.

Marcus

If we are in for the Ajax boss Ten Hag, why not start buiding the foundations by getting Koeman or Van Gaal to steady the ship so that we are better prepared for the Ajax style of play?

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we are in for the Ajax boss, why not start buiding the foundations by getting Koeman or Van Gaal to steady the ship so that we are better prepared for the Ajax style of play?
'Ajax style of play' is playing possession football. And ten Hag's teams have combined a direct style with emphasis on possession by applying high pressure. Koeman would be the wrong choice in that regard and so would LVG, who plays a patient possession game.

The guy who might be available and implements a brand of football that could potentially prepare our players for ten Hag, is someone like Lucien Favre.

Marcus

'Ajax style of play' is playing possession football. And ten Hag's teams have combined a direct style with emphasis on possession by applying high pressure. Koeman would be the wrong choice in that regard and so would LVG, who plays a patient possession game.

The guy who might be available and implements a brand of football that could potentially prepare our players for ten Hag, is someone like Lucien Favre.
Ah ok. What's Favre up to nowadays? Edit: he seems to be in line for permanent managerial jobs. I seriously doubt he would take a caretaker role till the end of the season.

Last edited:

EtH

Would Blanc or Favre or Rangnick really accept a caretaker role ?

I feel we are in really terrible position. Worrisome.

EtH

I've heard that Rangnick would - he's 63 and primarily works as a DoF now. He seems like a logical choice which means there's a 100% chance it won't happen.
My feeling as well. Hope we’re both very wrong.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ah ok. What's Favre up to nowadays? Edit: he seems to be in line for permanent managerial jobs. I seriously doubt he would take a caretaker role till the end of the season.
You know what the funny thing is, our most experienced coach works in our recruitment department and goes by the name of Marcel Bout. He's Dutch and has worked as assistant manager under both LVG and Jupp Heynckes. The club could do a lot worse than asking him to step in temporarily and he could lay the ground work for his Dutch compatriot ten Hag, if I'm to speak hypothetically.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think a DoF like rangnick would have problem. He'll be hounded out and met with resistance from the boys club.

His first job would be to clear out the whoe coaching structure and replace them with able bodies. Carrick, Mckenna and god knows how many underperforming under qualified coaches we hoard. Like that set pieces buddy of mckenna coach.

So unless he's been given the sword to chop and change he wont be as effective as he is in german club.

Our coaching structure is rotten to the core.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Our coaches need to get out of the club asap, no doubt about that.
I am a bit wary though when it comes to interim managers as we tend to fall into the trap of appointing them permanently instead of coming up with a long term plan.

Marcus

You know what the funny thing is, our most experienced coach works in our recruitment department and goes by the name of Marcel Bout. He's Dutch and has worked as assistant manager under both LVG and Jupp Heynckes. The club could do a lot worse than asking him to step in temporarily and he could lay the ground work for his Dutch compatriot ten Hag, if I'm to speak hypothetically.
That's a really interesting idea. How a Bout him then? Sorry couldn't resist.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
The reason we got a caretaker/interim manager last time (Ole in late 2018) was to bring a feel-good factor back to the squad and "let the shackles off them" - freeing them from apparent tactical burdens.

Now it would seem we want someone to do the opposite - to instill a direction, discipline, increase the pressure on the players.

Who is that person who is going to do that temporarily?

There's no way it can be Fletcher, for example - in that case we'd be getting someone in who's more out of his depth than Ole.

And whoever we bring in as interim will think they have a chance of getting the job permanently like Ole. And knowing the club, they'd probably do that if they managed to get a good run of results.

Imagine we got Favre as caretaker, for example - and he got us finishing top 4, UCL semis, got some good results, one or two bad ones, but mostly improving and getting consistent - will the club hold out and move for Ten Hag in the summer, or get giddy and give Favre a contract?