A change in the Academy?

oskarutd

There seems to be a change in the Academy with United.
Before they took on yongsters and signed them for the u-18 team(u-17 team before) if they became 17 in the period between last half of August that autumn and first half of August next year (and of course the minor details they were good enough and had the right personality). This year they use Welbeck solely in the u-18s even if he is born in the period for next year intake.
This summer they will get Conor Devlin who is born 23/9 1991.
So it seems that they now use the calander year like the FA uses in internationals and the mainlanders also.
So for those in the know, is that a correct assumption?

We have signed two Northern Irish lads for next season, Devlin and Chris Curran. Also a Swiss winger, maybe two nigerians,Kelechi Kalu Amogu, striker, 16 and Okoro Osagepamwen, midf., 16. Also 8 from our own Academy. So it´s seems a big intake for next season!

oskarutd

Danish Wizard said:
Who is the 8 from our own academy.??
Don´t know that, but I guees those who played on saturday for the u-18s are those: Moffatt, Dungeon, Strickland, James, Stewart, Norwood, Williams and Ajose (he is born 7/10 1991). Woods the keeper might be one of the 8 as well. It seems everyone was taken on except Farelly and Bryant who are gone.

Danish Wizard

Okay, thanks Oscar.. I think Gary Woods is one of the 8, as he was very promising last year when he was signed.

Who is the Swiss kid.?

oskarutd

Danish Wizard said:
Okay, thanks Oscar.. I think Gary Woods is one of the 8, as he was very promising last year when he was signed.

Who is the Swiss kid.?
Don´t know his name.

Bryant was very talented last year as well when we got him..... so one never knows.

oskarutd

M160RA said:
So are the two Nigerian kids confirmed?
Only by the agent. So it´s not sure. The N-Irish boys are from the papers and are sure, but all the others are not confirmed by papers or other sources, though some are confirmed by those in the know. But none are confirmed by United and they will only be in the summer. They haven´t even confirmed we signed Tom Cleverley, although he has played with us for over a half a year! He is still regarded as a schoolboy player by manutd.com.
(We don´t even have Kieran Lee and Phil Marsh on our books according to them.....)

M160RA

Do you have any info on that Mozambican kid we supposedly signed - Daude Massude? Sometimes we get reports of having signed youngsters, but then for some reason we never hear of them again. For example, I remember the reports regarding Rincon from Sao Paulo, but we never heard about him for a long time and he suddenly ended up with Empoli.

oskarutd

M160RA said:
Do you have any info on that Mozambican kid we supposedly signed - Daude Massude? Sometimes we get reports of having signed youngsters, but then for some reason we never hear of them again. For example, I remember the reports regarding Rincon from Sao Paulo, but we never heard about him for a long time and he suddenly ended up with Empoli.
We were going to sign him, but never did, maybe because of work permit issues (like Mikel and Promise). I still believe we signed Rincon, but he didn´t want to go to Sporting on loan and his contract finished or were released.
Massude got signed up by another club like you can look up on another thread in this Forum.

M160RA

This work permit issue is a real b*tch...we could've had players like Essien, Muntari, Mikel, etc in the squad if it wasn't for that.
On the other hand, at least it encourages us to develop British talent...but on that note, the 90-minute rule is a real b*tch as well.

oskarutd

M160RA said:
This work permit issue is a real b*tch...we could've had players like Essien, Muntari, Mikel, etc in the squad if it wasn't for that.
On the other hand, at least it encourages us to develop British talent...but on that note, the 90-minute rule is a real b*tch as well.
Yes, it´s restriction to trade. I am not sure the 90 mins rule would hold up against human rights courts. There seems to be building up a union of opinions against the Academy rules that it should change in a year or 2.

M160RA

Hopefully it will...the changes they made to the academy system don't seem to have borne fruit. I really don't see the purpose of the 90-minute rule other than giving smaller clubs a better chance at recruiting the top youngsters.
Btw oskar, do you know whether Rene has taken up a position as the skills coach again? Or is he being lined up to manage the reserves or one of the youth teams?
I'm very interested in seeing the batch of kids he first started working with coming through the academy. It seems like the focus on skills training could just be what English academies are lacking at the moment.

oskarutd

M160RA said:
Hopefully it will...the changes they made to the academy system don't seem to have borne fruit. I really don't see the purpose of the 90-minute rule other than giving smaller clubs a better chance at recruiting the top youngsters.
Btw oskar, do you know whether Rene has taken up a position as the skills coach again? Or is he being lined up to manage the reserves or one of the youth teams?
I'm very interested in seeing the batch of kids he first started working with coming through the academy. It seems like the focus on skills training could just be what English academies are lacking at the moment.
He is now the skill coach for all age groups and the reserves and the senior team.
Because of the reduction of teams in the Reserve League McClair will continue with the Reserves.
I agree with Rene babies, already we can see even the defenders have great skills.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Where have you heard about this Swiss kid? Is this confirmed?

I find it hard to believe that we have signed the nigarians, how would we get a work permit for them? Would be great if true though. We must be aware of Africa, they have many exciting prospects.

M160RA

If they're not on a professional contract, they don't technically need a work permit do they?
It would just be like a foreign student attending a British school.

Gabe

M160RA said:
If they're not on a professional contract, they don't technically need a work permit do they?
It would just be like a foreign student attending a British school.
That's a loop hole, it allowed Mikel and the Nigerian kids to 'study' at Lyn Oslo.

It's not just a question of english immigration laws, FIFA introduced a rule a few years ago that prevents a kid from signing for a club outside his own country until he's 18.
It's designed to curb the traffic and abuse of young african players. An exception would be if the kids family had to move, or in the case of the EU, it is treated as one country.

oskarutd

Gabe said:
That's a loop hole, it allowed Mikel and the Nigerian kids to 'study' at Lyn Oslo.

It's not just a question of english immigration laws, FIFA introduced a rule a few years ago that prevents a kid from signing for a club outside his own country until he's 18.
It's designed to curb the traffic and abuse of young african players. An exception would be if the kids family had to move, or in the case of the EU, it is treated as one country.
The agent said they would sign on as professionals when they turn 18.
The Swiss kid is not confirmed by the club, only heard about that.

oskarutd

Man. U capture Eagles star
BY EPHRAIM NWOSU
Index

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Index

Former Golden Eaglets and Bayelsa United teenage ace, Okoro Osagepamwen, and 17-year-old Kalu Kelechi Amogu who plays for amateur clubside, Dominion FC, are on the verge of making history as the first Nigerians to don the red and white colours of Manchester United after the battle to grab Super Eagles midfielder, John Mikel Obi, to rivals, Chelsea, in the summer.

According to London-based FIFA-licensed agent, Olusola Orelaja, and his Nigerian partner, Dominic Uche Egbukwu, the two youngsters had been listed to join the Red Devils youth team after putting up a marvelous performance during a 10-day trial with Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United at Old Trafford.

“I am delighted to break the news to you that two of our players, Osas and Kelechi, succeeded in the 10-day trial they went through with Manchester United youth team at Old Trafford few weeks ago,” Egbukwu and Orelaja revealed to SoccerStar.

“They’ve shown the coaches with their stunning performances that Nigeria have a lot of hidden talents and that they have nothing to regret in losing Mikel to Chelsea after all. The boys have been excused to return home for Christmas holidays to enable them rest properly and rejoin them in January.

“Though they are supposed to be playing with the youth team, but I’m optimistic that one of them, especially Osas who will clock 18 in January, may be handed a professional contract ahead of the transfer window in January,” they added.

Oghemovo Uzezi of Gateway FC, Abeokuta, and Umejipuru Onyedika Chibuzor of Grassroots Club, Uwajele FC, also attended the trial and impressed the coaching crew but were not considered for selection.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/soccerstar/2006/dec/19/soccerstar-19-12-2006-002.htm

Kelechi Kalu Amogu, born 01.01.1989
Okoro Osagepamwen, born 01.12.1989
They are a bit older than said.

Einar15

Isn't Evandro Brandao also coming from Walsall this summer?... It seems like we will have a great team next season with alot of youth internationals coming through.

oskarutd

Einar15 said:
Isn't Evandro Brandao also coming from Walsall this summer?... It seems like we will have a great team next season with alot of youth internationals coming through.
I think he i a year younger though.

oskarutd

PS18 said:
Brandao was born 4.5.1991 i believe
....and from May 2005

A remarkable hat-trick for teenager
By Tom Hutchison

Evandro Brandao, 14, wearing his swimming goggles, trainers and basketball gear
A SUPER-fit schoolboy took part and won three successful major sporting events in just one week.
From last autumn:
"Manchester United have swooped for Walsall teenager Evandro Brandao.
The Portugal U17 international has been in England since nine years of age and signed forms with United on Wednesday, says Maisfutebol.

Brandao, still only 15, impressed United assistant boss Carlos Queiroz in the Nike Cup in August and the Premiership giants agreed terms over a fee with the Saddlers earlier this week.

The youngster will sign a two-year deal with United once he has completed his duties with Portugal U17 this week."
Sure about this date?

PS18

someone born in early may 1991 would be 14 in most of may 2005, and definitely 15 in autumn 2006, unless i'm missing something

oskarutd

PS18 said:
someone born in early may 1991 would be 14 in most of may 2005, and definitely 15 in autumn 2006, unless i'm missing something
No, you weren´t. I was missing a logical conclusion from the data. ;)
Good to see the link. So he is part of next years intake.
It seems we can play two youth teams next season!

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
great work, lads. oskar - where do get your info?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
i see. can you recommend any good websites for academy information? there is some info on the u18s on the sites i regularly visit, but nothing on the u16s etc. thanks

oskarutd

Elliott said:
i see. can you recommend any good websites for academy information? there is some info on the u18s on the sites i regularly visit, but nothing on the u16s etc. thanks
Well for starters phootyphan in the Newbies:
25th February 2007, 18:26 #442
phootyphan
On Trial

u14's won everton 1-0 today. Zeki Fryers excellent as usual- all team up for it today!! What do they do with academy kids? seem to play some of them in different age groups all time.
Nicholas Ajose is U15 player- nearly always with u16's, and been with u18's recently.
Zeki Fryers u14 plays u15 all time, and comes to 14's for matches and also U16.
Ryan Tunnicliff u14 plays in u15 sometimes.
Do they know what they doin with kids or tryin to burn em out? Well have no talent left, theyl be too nackered.
Any thoughts on this?
That Evandro guy is excellent. signed for u16's not seen him play above age yet. maybe settling into club first. quickfeet and tricky.
The 92 birthdays are off to Holland in Marveld tournament sometime in May don't know team yet but think they must take Ryan Tunnicliffe and Zeki Fryers in that lot.
92'S are also off to far east for Man Utd NIKE cup tournament in July always held where first team tour and it gets televised on MUTV(was last year). Our academy lads apparently don't do that well against the big lads from overseas. Held at Carrington last year and Hong Kong the year before so America next year. It's a chance to see what and how our up n' coming kids play like.
herd today its Zeki Fryers. He's not new, he's u14's but plays for u15's with Reece Brown Wes Browns little bro. Reece and Zeki good team together !!
Reece not pacy but he's solid and tall. Zeki tall for age but very pacy-shud be on the wing with that speed
Yes I've seen Danny Wellbeck play- officially u16 but plays all time in u18- Really good-obviously thats y they play him year above.
Heard about new kid in 14's Zaki Fryes? heard he's sum1 to luk out 4 in future-apparently plays u15 as well so don't no how old he is? anybody know him?
Ans www.newsnow.co.uk www.united.no .