A foreign player who played in the PL who should never have

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Juan Sebastian Veron without a shred of doubt, one of the best midfielders of that era that was truly an awful fit for Premier League.
That team had rvn, ole, Cole,Yorke,giggs,beckham,keane,veron,scholes, ferdinand and barthez. Arguably all world class.
Loved Seba.

miked99

Some crackers on that list.

Jo! Ffs
Jo :lol: City signed so many duds before they got to the good ones. Only reason I remember he existed is that I'm friends with his ex wife and their kid. She's a lovely person, but her whole life is about show. An annoying reminder that even terrible footballers are rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Didn't they somehow offload him to Everton for a bizarrely high fee? I seem to remember he scored on his debut or something, and pretty much never again :lol:

Someone mentioned Shevchenko. It's hard to overexaggerate just how much of a surefire thing he was seen to be when he came to the Prem. He was ridiculously good up to then. And then he played like he'd been drugged.

Has anyone mentioned Bebe?

Wilt

Benjamin Mendy ….nobody else come anywhere close.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Someone mentioned Shevchenko. It's hard to overexaggerate just how much of a surefire thing he was seen to be when he came to the Prem. He was ridiculously good up to then. And then he played like he'd been drugged.
:lol: Just reminded me of Chelsea having major issues with players testing positive for cocaine in the early 00s.

Cue the one that sure as hell shouldn't have set foot there: Adrian Mutu. Fined 15m quid in damages, he should have stayed at Parma!

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Jo :lol: City signed so many duds before they got to the good ones. Only reason I remember he existed is that I'm friends with his ex wife and their kid. She's a lovely person, but her whole life is about show. An annoying reminder that even terrible footballers are rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Didn't they somehow offload him to Everton for a bizarrely high fee? I seem to remember he scored on his debut or something, and pretty much never again :lol:

Has anyone mentioned Bebe?
Jo eventually had his moment when he was top scorer winning the 2013 libertadores with Atletico Mineiro, alongside old Ronaldinho.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Shevchenko wasn't bad. He just didn't have the legs. I remember reading an article about Darren Campbell teaching him how to sprint.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Well, back n the 90s Benfica hired some Premier League players who also didn't exactly standout. We still fondly remember Michael Thomas, the slowest player ever to set foot on a football pitch in Portugal.

arnie_ni

All of them. It's the English league. Piss off stealing our jobs

Meino

Ronaldo 2.0, worlds best footballer should have ended his career on a high instead of the this freakshow of a team.

ThatDutchPerson

Supports
FC Groningen
Patrick Kluivert to Newcastle. Who was still only 28 at the time. After his stint in the prem, he only played like 40 more competitive games. Such a rapid decline.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Zhirkov moving to Chelsea. He was a really good attacking fullback at that time, but at Chelsea he was never going to replace Cole, didn't fit their tactics well and it just seemed a pointless move that they didn't need fuelled by the Abramovich connection.
Any thoughts as to why Rebrov flopped at Spurs mate? He looked a superb player in the CL for Dynamo Kiev, and should have been hitting his peak when he moved to England.

Rossa

Granit Xhaka. There are countless British players (or just people) who could do a better job, albeit arguably without the uncanny ability to eacape red cards as he should have at least one every match.

Bestietom

Bebe.
Crossed the ball in one game and almost hit me at the top of the East Stand.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Any thoughts as to why Rebrov flopped at Spurs mate? He looked a superb player in the CL for Dynamo Kiev, and should have been hitting his peak when he moved to England.
Can't say for sure, but i think he just turned out to be mostly a comfort zone player; there were never any rumours/allegations of being a lazy trainer/stereotypical difficult character or anything like that, not that i can remember. Lobanovsky's system was also getting the best out of him. I thought his first season with Spurs was good enough for going to a new, stronger league with a mid-table team, especially as he was much more of a supporting forward like Bergkamp/Zola than a classic 9, but Spurs fans were probably expecting more goals considering what he was doing in Ukraine/CL. Things went bad really quickly after Hoddle became manager.

It wasn't a simple obvious case of better league proving too much, as he was absolutely terrible in the season and a half that he spent in Turkey and with West Ham too, who were in the championship. By this stage he was about 30 and moved back to Kyiv, where he had a very good first season as an attacking midfielder. He initially looked like he'd end up playing out the rest of his career doing well back in his comfort zone, but his form quickly fell apart there too. Was sold to Rubin Kazan for 2008 season, where he again produced a good first season as an attacking-mid with a lot of runners doing leg work for him, before again rapidly becoming useless and retiring. That was their first ever league win, so he's well liked there.

Chairman Steve

Gaizka Mendieta. He looked so good at Valencia and it seemed fecking sad to see him turn out for Boro in the mid naughties.

A third of his Boro goal haul was scored against Utd in one game.

CraftySoAndSo

Borja Valero, wonderful passer with great technique, but very slow. Also didn't help he played for West Brom of all teams, could have done a lot better if he'd signed for someone else.