A good article about Becks and Capello

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Jopub players should be picked on merit, not just for nostalgia.

There really is little to debate imo, capello has obviously chosen players currently playing well, and removed those not playing e.g. robinson, becks. Good for him I say - pick on current form. If I was Becks I wouldn't want to win my 100th cap by just playing in the last 5 minutes of a match - that's worthless and you don't really deserve it if that's all your chosen for.
I think he deserves it - hes a special case imo

Nialler

Alex's Dad
You're completely confident that having trained hard with us (or anybody else) for two months solid he will definitely be inferior to whoever else plays for the country right now? - against Switzerland in a friendly - not Italy or Germany etc in a meaningful match
there is a huge difference between training hard and actual match fitness

It doesent matter who the opposition is either

Like I said earlier, Capello is merely stamping his authority on the team and not bowing to sentimentality which is surely the correct way for a new manager to proceed

nickm

I think he deserves it - hes a special case imo
No. He. Isn't.

That's the point. Capello is establishing a set of groundrules about the value of a place in the England TEAM. That is far more important than the 'needs' of an individual player.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why does he need to win it and well?

He needs to see what a few people can do and could have put Beckham on for the last five minutes or the first five minutes - it would'nt have hurt anybody or ruined anybodys preparations - and another point you make -it's not the Beckham show - well considering the contribution from him for 99 caps and over ten years it bloodywell should be for one lousy friendly

I dont like the 'Beckham roadshow' as much as anybody else but this is a football match and its a football matter and he deserves it - its not Posh modelling in the centre circle - he should be getting something he fully deserves. Too many of you lot are surprisingly bitter about Beckham but I'm not amazed, he gave you fantastic service and most of you think he was a cvnt .

I'll take this stance on it - had he stayed at Utd and this was say, his last year having spent all his career at OTrafford you'd all be wanting Copello's head on a pole on London bridge for this travesty
He needs to win this game, and every other game, because thats how it is with England. He isn't working for the FA, he is working for the media, and they will turn on him in no time at all if he doesn't produce.

This is not a United issue, and I'm not in the least bit bitter about Beckham. Why would I be? We had his best years and got paid well for letting him go (not to mention Ronaldo).

If he was retiring from the game on Sunday, I'd say give him the send-off, but he isn't. He'll get his cap, but when he has earned it with good form.

Jopub

there is a huge difference between training hard and actual match fitness

It doesent matter who the opposition is either

Like I said earlier, Capello is merely stamping his authority on the team and not bowing to sentimentality which is surely the correct way for a new manager to proceed
Obviously there is a difference to match fitness but not one that could really make a huge difference in a friendly against Switzerland - in meaninghful match v a top nation then all these things would apply, which is why imo it does matter who the opposition is especially in this 'warm up getting together getting to know you' match

Like you said earlier Capello etc etc and sentimentality in this instance imo should be bowed to , its not going to make a blind bit of difference to what Capello will get from the players and he is surely, for me at least, going about it the wrong way

Difference of opinon leave it at that, some of us are clearly more sentimental about it than others

Jopub

Arse and Liverpool fans sticking for Utd's old boy. What's the world coming to?
It's not about fans of any club, the lad has played for his country 99 times often in memorable circumstances and deserves the full ton and this game was an opportunity for it

Id feel the same if it were for say, Gareth Barry had he got to the same point

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Look im becks' biggest fan always have been, but capello gave his reason and assured that he'd look at beckham again when he's playing. so im ok with it.

I think hes still got alot to offer and that hes no way past it. i want him to get more than 100 caps and am glad we didnt have the situation where he got this one game and was removed permanently from the squad.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Obviously there is a difference to match fitness but not one that could really make a huge difference in a friendly against Switzerland - in meaninghful match v a top nation then all these things would apply, which is why imo it does matter who the opposition is especially in this 'warm up getting together getting to know you' match

Like you said earlier Capello etc etc and sentimentality in this instance imo should be bowed to , its not going to make a blind bit of difference to what Capello will get from the players and he is surely, for me at least, going about it the wrong way

Difference of opinon leave it at that, some of us are clearly more sentimental about it than others
thats entierly fair enough, you're either for or against in this instance

I'm not English and remember Becks as a United player with great fondness yet I feel he's had his day and agree with you that by not being selected for this game Capello will hardly look to Becks in the future and this is probably his last real chance to make the magical 100

I do think Becks will get over it though in time............he has many great moments in his career to look back on

pbrown

A lot on here say Becks won't be in Fab's plans for the 2010 WC then why in the hell doesn't give him the cap and get it over with so he can move on. I thought Fab was smart but this is not going away with all the opinions on here through out England and the world. This will keep coming up whenever he picks a team especially if the have a bad game. I say he should have picked and then kicked him to the curb, you think he would have learned from Real.

nickm

I thought Fab was smart but this is not going away with all the opinions on here through out England and the world.
Luckily Capello is one of the best managers in the world and doesn't have to pay attention to our useless opinions.

nickm

I dont really agree that Capello is one of the best, u Ingurlanders said the same thing about Sven and look where that got u..Start focusing on YOUR players and not which manager u have..:rolleyes:
Lukcily, it doesn't matter what you think as Capello's CV is evidence enough.

pbrown

Luckily Capello is one of the best managers in the world and doesn't have to pay attention to our useless opinions.
No argument he is a good manager but all the more reason to put this to rest. A prediction Becks will get his 100 caps somewhere along the line. My thing here is why drag ot out and I am no convinced that the replacements are better in first place but they are younger though.

Jopub

Well it was good to see the fitness required (that Beckham did'nt have) was tested to the full when Ashley Young came on for a cap three minutes from time - course that was'nt a cheap 'confetti' cap was it - he needed to be 'match fit' for that did'nt he ....

fsakes

Capello > cvnt

ih8cheatskiscum

Beckham has now moved to a higher level

He doesn't play at international anymore, merely representing one nation.

He now plays for the whole Galaxy

since 1987

Founder and Chairman of the Kill Sjarkus Club. Oth
Lukcily, it doesn't matter what you think as Capello's CV is evidence enough.
The only thing his CV tells me is that he has managed some of the biggest and richest clubs and been able to buy anyone he wants. For ME his is not in the same category as SAF, Cruyff, Wenger or even Mourinho.
During his spell at Juve he bought, Cannavarro, Ibra, Emerson, Zebina, Viera.
At Real he bought, Diarra, Cannavaro, Ruud, Higuain, Gago.
At Roma he bought, Batistuta, Emerson, Zebina and a bunch more.
At milan he inherated one of the best teams ever, that Sacchi had built and not to mention that he had Berloscounis money..
U sir is only hiding behind the facts that he has delivered not the fact that Capello has always had the backing and money to build his teams not like some other managers who has not had the same money to spend.

klebersomeone

The only thing his CV tells me is that he has managed some of the biggest and richest clubs and been able to buy anyone he wants. For ME his is not in the same category as SAF, Cruyff, Wenger or even Mourinho.
At milan he inherated one of the best teams ever, that Sacchi had built and not to mention that he had Berloscounis money..
U sir is only hiding behind the facts that he has delivered not the fact that Capello has always had the backing and money to build his teams not like some other managers who has not had the same money to spend.
:lol: Go lie down!

Jopub

That mate is utter bollocks

Having shedloads of money is a help but ultimately you still have to manage the players - man management - all their crap, the wags, the late nights the indiscipline, the agents, the leadership, organising, training, diets, media etc etc - these are things money cannot buy therefor a good manager is more than just having the money at his disposal.

You cannot buy the fact that some players will play for some managers but will give nothing to others and as a manager you have to bring that out of a player wether he cost £5 or £15 million is immaterial

If I applied your rules then Ferguson would be on your list - he's had untold financial support at Man Utd as much almost as Mourinho

Not sure but I think Capello has won 9 titles at three different clubs - money or not that's incredibly impressive. That is actually a brilliant man management record even unsurpassed by Ferguson