A Midfield Please?

Cloudface

I don't want to join the doom carousel on here, but one of the things that is really starting to grate with how we set up is the fact we have seemingly decided to abandon the idea of a midfield.

The defence has the ball? No midfield to pass it to.

A midfielder has the ball? All the other midfielders have fecked off up the other side of the pitch.

The opposition has the ball? No midfield tracking a runner.

We are constantly punished and unable to sustain attacks because of this. Are we unique in this or do other teams do this successfully? I don't know why Ten Hag hasn't told someone to sit next to Case and run the game with him. Am I missing something here?

CtRafidah

We buy one, and due to our own incompetence in foreseeing injuries/suspension to the back line playing him like fish out of water. Then the poor guy gets the stick from the his own fans.

Mainoldo

Honestly!! Just sort it out. You’re the coach who wants to play ball. Pick midfielders that are balanced man.

Siorac

No.

We're Manchester United, we don't do fancy continental nonsense like midfields. We embrace the chaos.

We haven't had a decent midfield for years and it continues to be the main reason for our troubles. We desperately need Amrabat in his real position.

Devil81

We haven't had a decent midfield for years and it continues to be the main reason for our troubles. We desperately need Amrabat in his real position.
Yeah agree, Amrabat needs to be back in his strongest position. He looks tidy when he drifts inside into the midfield.

Surely we have an youngster would add us more balance in the position. Seems a bit of a square peg in a round hole situation.

Apokalips

We will never get to where we want to go if we refuse to try and control matches.

rooneyberbatov

I agree and I think the issue is that we have just random players playing together in the midfield and not a collective. The sort of players we have in these positions… they just don’t click together.

Josep Dowling

Surely it makes more sense to play Amrabat in his actual position and call in a youth LB or something? Why ruin 2 positions.

Woodzy

I feel like we have signed at least two midfielders a season for the last decade and still somehow never have a proper midfield.

spiriticon

Not just a midfield. A midfield with legs.

Liverpool's success came with Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner doing the dog's work for everyone else.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Regardless of talent, we need to play a more compact midfield. The wingers should also come in more to receive the ball but we don't seem to play like that. It's all very gun-ho. It's been this way for ages.

United492

We buy one, and due to our own incompetence in foreseeing injuries/suspension to the back line playing him like fish out of water. Then the poor guy gets the stick from the his own fans.
To be fair, foreseeing 80% of your full-backs being injured is some soothsayer-lottery-winning-ticket shit. That being said, playing Lindelof at full-back (having played there a lot previously) makes more sense and releases Amrabat to play his natural position, but at who's expense?

Ekeke

I don't want to join the doom carousel on here, but one of the things that is really starting to grate with how we set up is the fact we have seemingly decided to abandon the idea of a midfield.

The defence has the ball? No midfield to pass it to.

A midfielder has the ball? All the other midfielders have fecked off up the other side of the pitch.

The opposition has the ball? No midfield tracking a runner.

We are constantly punished and unable to sustain attacks because of this. Are we unique in this or do other teams do this successfully? I don't know why Ten Hag hasn't told someone to sit next to Case and run the game with him. Am I missing something here?
ETH wants our CBs and keeper to play as midfield

Lentwood

I think posters talking about the personnel are way off the mark - this mess is tactical.

It's perfectly possible to pick a functioning midfield from Casemiro, Bruno, Mount, Amrabat, Eriksen, McTominay and Hannibal.

I mean...I've seen Conference teams play Premier League teams in cup competitions and they don't look ragged and open like this. We've got to get away from this idea that we need XI perfect players to not be a total and utter shambles.

Superden

We had a shit midfield for almost a decade with the likes of mcfred..now we have casimeiro fernandes mount arambat and erickson with hannibal and mainoo..and it's still shit.

CtRafidah

To be fair, foreseeing 80% of your full-backs being injured is some soothsayer-lottery-winning-ticket shit. That being said, playing Lindelof at full-back (having played there a lot previously) makes more sense and releases Amrabat to play his natural position, but at who's expense?
Well in times of dire need, the youth sides are where we need to go. At least until injuries eases off or window opens(this is no brainer since were dead broke with yanks continued thievery of the clubs money)

Sadly we've sold most of the youth whom had a good chance of making it, loaned williams out.