A new league system

lysglimt

Scout
In order to give english talent more gametime, I think the league system should be changed to allow B-teams into the league. So I thought about this for a while and came up with this idea :

Today there are a total of 92 teams in the league - in order for this to work, it has to be expanded to at least 112 - but more realistically 116 teams. All 20 teams in the Premier League get one spot - and 4 other B-teams (either based on a straight league system or based on certain criterias) get the last 4 spots.

So the new table would look like this
P.L - 20 teams
Ch - 24 teams
Lg1 - 24 teams
Lg2 north - 24 teams
Lg2 south - 24 teams

6 B-teams to join the Championship
6 B-teams to join League 1
6 B-teams to join Lg2 North and 6 B-teams to join Lg2 South

For the B-teams
The regular teams and the B-teams would each have a separate relegation system
1 B-team relegated from the Championship
1 B-team promoted from League 1
1 B team relegated from League 1
Play off between the winners of LG2 south and North for promotion to League 1

For the regular sides :
2 teams promoted from the Championship to P.L
2 teams relegated to League 1
2 teams promoted to Championship from League 1
3 teams relegated to League 2
Winner from League 1 gets promoted - the 2nd placed teams have a play off for the last promotion spot.

The main problems I see is that a lot of teams in Championship and League 1 will get relegated - but this could be solved if as a compensation, the Premier League agrees to share the tv-money more evenly. I think it's easier to sell to the smaller clubs if they know they are compensated .. say £3 million per year.

But take our team - players like Puigmal, Levitt, Mengi, Williams, Garner, Elanga etc - will never get enough game without being loaned out, and that is a risk every time. You never know if they get gametime, if they fit in. This has to change. And with this new system, the P.L clubs can keep their talents at the club longer - Chong, Gomes, Garner - could be playing in the Championship for United. City probably wouldnt have lost Sancho etc etc

Any thoughts ?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Or, just have more teams in the pyramid have a higher number of good players.

Top clubs should not hoard all the talent. It’s already too much.

lysglimt

Scout
So if newcastle got relegated? And preston got promoted preston needs to build their b team and newcastle scrap theirs?
Clearly there would be a reserve-team with a possible promotion to the league. And if for instance Preston don't have a b-team, well then the invitation would go to someone else. And since there are 116 teams - compared to 92 now, a minimum of 4 non Premier League teams would get access to the league.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Clearly there would be a reserve-team with a possible promotion to the league. And if for instance Preston don't have a b-team, well then the invitation would go to someone else. And since there are 116 teams - compared to 92 now, a minimum of 4 non Premier League teams would get access to the league.
No, it's not clear.

You can assume top 8 PL teams have the means to field a B team, but what about the other half? You can't form a B team for 1 season and if you're relegated scrap them.

If by luck Leeds got promoted, do they have to come up with B team? And which championship have the capacity to field a B team? What if they have a B team but don't get promoted, how do their B team compete? With whom? Plus where are the B team gonna play?

Teams aren't going to field 18 additional players and pays their wages / insurance / match cost / coach / etc just to play in the B league. The cost would be too much and counter productive

Plus you're basically inserting 20 new teams to the system, and force relegate some of them into another layer of competition. No clubs would agree to this

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In order to give english talent more gametime, I think the league system should be changed to allow B-teams into the league. So I thought about this for a while and came up with this idea :

Today there are a total of 92 teams in the league - in order for this to work, it has to be expanded to at least 112 - but more realistically 116 teams. All 20 teams in the Premier League get one spot - and 4 other B-teams (either based on a straight league system or based on certain criterias) get the last 4 spots.

So the new table would look like this
P.L - 20 teams
Ch - 24 teams
Lg1 - 24 teams
Lg2 north - 24 teams
Lg2 south - 24 teams

6 B-teams to join the Championship
6 B-teams to join League 1
6 B-teams to join Lg2 North and 6 B-teams to join Lg2 South

For the B-teams
The regular teams and the B-teams would each have a separate relegation system
1 B-team relegated from the Championship
1 B-team promoted from League 1
1 B team relegated from League 1
Play off between the winners of LG2 south and North for promotion to League 1

For the regular sides :
2 teams promoted from the Championship to P.L
2 teams relegated to League 1
2 teams promoted to Championship from League 1
3 teams relegated to League 2
Winner from League 1 gets promoted - the 2nd placed teams have a play off for the last promotion spot.

The main problems I see is that a lot of teams in Championship and League 1 will get relegated - but this could be solved if as a compensation, the Premier League agrees to share the tv-money more evenly. I think it's easier to sell to the smaller clubs if they know they are compensated .. say £3 million per year.

But take our team - players like Puigmal, Levitt, Mengi, Williams, Garner, Elanga etc - will never get enough game without being loaned out, and that is a risk every time. You never know if they get gametime, if they fit in. This has to change. And with this new system, the P.L clubs can keep their talents at the club longer - Chong, Gomes, Garner - could be playing in the Championship for United. City probably wouldnt have lost Sancho etc etc

Any thoughts ?
I've never heard any fan of a team in the lower leagues be in favour of B teams. It smacks of elitist thinking, Big team mentality.

League places are fought for over decades. This is why MK Dons stealing Wimbledon's place caused such anger.
This is why the Checkatrade Cup now it has B teams is boycotted by huge amounts of fans, causing record low attendances.

The better way is for clubs to loan players out. Or just not stockpile tonnes of players. Both of those methods see younger players get opportunities to play without making a farce of the league set up.

Skills

Snitch
The last thing we need is for elite clubs to have more reason to hoard young players - in fact it should be the other way around. Penalise them for having too many players stuck in their youth system/farmed out on loan.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The last thing we need is for elite clubs to have more reason to hoard young players - in fact it should be the other way around. Penalise them for having too many players stuck in their youth system/farmed out on loan.
The issue is not the number of players...it's the number of games.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
feck off with this nonsense. If you can't afford to give your young talent, sell them off. Then once they've developed into top players, buy them back. Top dollar. feck off trying to have your cake and eat it at the same time.

youmeletsfly

Why would english talent need more game time?
You get game time if you're good enough, if you're not, get the feck out off the football field and play darts.

What an entitled little prick.

lysglimt

Scout
Why would english talent need more game time?
You get game time if you're good enough, if you're not, get the feck out off the football field and play darts.

What an entitled little prick.
So just because you don't agree with me, I am a prick ? :)

As for the rest of your post - no - you don't get enough game time even if you are good enough. That is sort of the problem. That is why Angel Gomes is in Portugal and Jaden Sancho is in Dortmund. And there will be more.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
As for the rest of your post - no - you don't get enough game time even if you are good enough. That is sort of the problem. That is why Angel Gomes is in Portugal and Jaden Sancho is in Dortmund. And there will be more.
Two examples of how it should work.

Top teams can Fcuk off with any idea of having B Teams in the pyramid. It’s among the stupidest ideas around.

Handré1990

I’m with you @lysglimt

Not sure about the exact system you’ve outlined here, but it’s clear to me that leagues who do this have an easier way of developing talents. Spain being the obvious example.

Edit: Ødegaard’s rise to the RM first team is proof.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
In defence of the "B sides in the league system" idea - in practically every other league system, B sides are indeed in lower divisions.

And I don't just mean internationally, I also mean if you get to local sides. The Dog and Bear FC play in a division above the Dog And Bear FC b side. I think the level to start that at though is the National League (conference). Keep it out of the traditional professional league