A Reaction to Sheff United Loss

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Next 4 matches are very tough and come over a period of 11 days. There is no option but to rotate with the sheer amount of games, however judging from last night rotating takes us down a few levels dramatically.

Arsenal Away
Southampton at Home
Everton at Home
West Ham at Home ( Cup)

Looking at that list there is not one easy game for United. Arsenal are finding form now, but it is away so there is that. We have been good away and to be honest its probable better that there is a big name opposition in the next match. Even if its not Wengers Arsenal.
Playing any home match now is anyones game. I have no hesitation in saying that any of the home games could end up as a loss against any of those teams.

We have to react to that shambles from last night and put it right. We are capable of winning those games however the opposite is also true, this could be the start of a very sticky period and the teams mettle will be tested.

So will we see a reaction or will be looking at a train wreck behind us when these fixtures are completed.

romufc

Given the history of these players, we will go 3/4 games without winning. Its happened time and time again. I really hope I am wrong and we bounce back this time.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
We absolutely have to react to last nights shambolic performance. I’m trying to stay positive and hope that it might refocus the players, but I think I’m being naive.

I’m expecting LDLL then Ole’s job is on the line and we turn into prime Barca again for a few weeks

UmbroDays

I think for an injection of something different, include Diallo for 10 mins on one of those games, maybe Southampton or West Ham or any of them if were well on the way to a loss. If the kid is ready, then he’s ready and no time in training will get him any more suited than real game time.

What I saw yesterday was lethargy, lack of creativity, poor decision making and quite simply “the same old shit”.

I’m tired of seeing the same dry 1-2’s between Rashford and Martial that lead to absolutely nothing. The opps obviously know what they’re going to do and defend it well. Tired of seeing Martial try and beat a player and just run into a defender,again the opps know he’s going to do it and defend it well. Same with Telles/Shaw and Rashford on the left.

I also was against Ole changing the formation every game, but he needs to switch from 4231 a bit more. It’s too formulaic and especially against low block teams defending narrowly. We need to toy with playing 2 up front again, because time after time I see our lead striker in mid field trying to get involved in the game, which shows the formation isn’t working.

He may not need to do it at the beginning of the match but on the fly. I was severely disappointed when he never changed the formation when brining on his subs on 80 mins.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Considering these games will be more "competitive" I expect us to do better.

We always struggle in matches where opposition don't actually come to play. Teams we should be beating easily are our weakness.

Arsenal won't sit back and defend so we should have plenty of space, same with the others.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Next 4 matches are very tough and come over a period of 11 days. There is no option but to rotate with the sheer amount of games, however judging from last night rotating takes us down a few levels dramatically.

Arsenal Away
Southampton at Home
Everton at Home
West Ham at Home ( Cup)

Looking at that list there is not one easy game for United. Arsenal are finding form now, but it is away so there is that. We have been good away and to be honest its probable better that there is a big name opposition in the next match. Even if its not Wengers Arsenal.
Playing any home match now is anyones game. I have no hesitation in saying that any of the home games could end up as a loss against any of those teams.

We have to react to that shambles from last night and put it right. We are capable of winning those games however the opposite is also true, this could be the start of a very sticky period and the teams mettle will be tested.

So will we see a reaction or will be looking at a train wreck behind us when these fixtures are completed.
My money’s on train wreck.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
One of the best things about the Fergie era was that you could find comfort in knowing we’d come back stronger in the next match after a result like this (and there were results like this).

This manager and these players aren’t coming back stronger. But it is what it is. Whether it was last night or April, one match was all it was going to take to be back at square one. That’s why City were clear favourites when we were top.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We havent lost n the league since 11th of November, so the doom and gloom is a bit uncalled for. Saying we don't come back stronger when that's literally what we've done this season is... well, you're just making things up. Stop that.

I am SO disgustingly dissapointed about last night, I hate everything about that entire match.

Judas

Open to offers
If those teams don't sit back (which they should as its the best way to get a result against us) we could get positive results in all of them. But we could quite as easily drop points in all of them.

Our home form is shocking, we don't look the same side as we do away.

UmbroDays

We havent lost n the league since 11th of November, so the doom and gloom is a bit uncalled for. Saying we don't come back stronger when that's literally what we've done this season is... well, you're just making things up. Stop that.

I am SO disgustingly dissapointed about last night, I hate everything about that entire match.
It’s the manner of the loss.

It’s like if in a relationship a person was cheating, the partner took them back and everything was going fine and then blam, the cheating happens again.

For me that’s how it felt, like we went back to our old static, lack of invention self. I know it was a low block team but I thought we got over that. But in reality we didn’t.

Maybe it was team selection or tactics? I would have liked to seen VdB and Pogba in the middle when you know the opps we’re just going to sit back and counter attack only. We needed to be more on the front foot and more active up front and we saw none of that

AFC NimbleThumb

If we can’t react against Arsenal then feck them all. The fact they were hailed as the next Barcelona circa Pep after a messy 1-0 win at the OT should be inspiration enough but after that crap last night if we can’t at least put in a performance then the squad might aswell be sold cause there’s no character to it.

We then have 3 home games, the time for excuses is long gone - all we really want are cohesive performances consistently. If we can go out & play well we should win those 3 but pull the crap we did last night & it’s the typical poor run after a good one for OgS.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

No problem with losing, bound to happen - especially during a season like this, and we've really ridden our luck of late.

What's most frustrating was the attitude last night. Could tell the players believed their own hype, defending for SU's 2nd goal shows that.

But yeah, in reality, we could quite easily have dropped points v Wolves, Burnley, Fulham and Villa recently. Add to that we still haven't beaten a "top" side in the league this season.

All things considered, we've probably been batting above our average league position wise of late, just a shame to see it come home to roost last night.

Godfather

I'm actually glad our players have to go through such a tough period. These feckers deserve no better after that spineless performance yesterday. In these games they will HAVE to put the effort in.

matt23

I'd like to see Fred and Cavani brought back in to stimulate the reaction.

I think we're a different team when Fred plays - we're certainly more of a bitch to play against and I think the same could be said for Cavani lately.

Withnail

Given the history of these players, we will go 3/4 games without winning. Its happened time and time again. I really hope I am wrong and we bounce back this time.
I keep seeing this but is this actually accurate? It doesn't seem to take into account all of the factors at play or the mitigating circumstances.

There was the period after the new manager bounce where they ran out of steam and more than likely that was down to fitness as they were being asked to run twice as much as under Jose.

Then we started the next season badly after the summer when first team players left and we were hit with injuries to key players and results were inconsistent for the first half of that season.

This season the lack of pre-season was clearly the problem for the first few games this season.

I'm not seeing this one bad result equals a run of bad results happening while everyone is fit and available.

Jacko21

One of the best things about the Fergie era was that you could find comfort in knowing we’d come back stronger in the next match after a result like this (and there were results like this).

This manager and these players aren’t coming back stronger. But it is what it is. Whether it was last night or April, one match was all it was going to take to be back at square one. That’s why City were clear favourites when we were top.
I was pleasantly surprised at how we responded to the Leipzig defeat and CL knockout - I was expecting that to derail our season. So that gives me some optimism for our upcoming games.

romufc

I keep seeing this but is this actually accurate? It doesn't seem to take into account all of the factors at play or the mitigating circumstances.

There was the period after the new manager bounce where they ran out of steam and more than likely that was down to fitness as they were being asked to run twice as much as under Jose.

Then we started the next season badly after the summer when first team players left and we were hit with injuries to key players and results were inconsistent for the first half of that season.

This season the lack of pre-season was clearly the problem for the first few games this season.

I'm not seeing this one bad result equals a run of bad results happening while everyone is fit and available.
There might be reasons for it, but there is other factors on this one too. Our forward line is non existent at the moment.

Anyway, lets wait and see.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
As much as I think we've been poor for a while and we're actually out of form, I am glad we're facing good teams that will attack us and leave space behind. I'd more worried about playing Sheffield 4 more times than what we have in next games.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Some people got carried away by a midfield of Matic and Pogba because they are “technical players” and wonder why we don’t start that combo against better teams. We have been overrun a few times also in recent games against similar quality opposition with Matic there but got a result in the end. A result like yesterday was coming. There is a reason why Matic usually starts against bottom level teams. Priority nr. 1 as stated by many so many times should be a quality DM.

Also I can’t blame Ole for playing Axel yesterday. If you can’t give your half fit CB a rest against SU then when else is this going to happen?

Also we bounced back after our awful start to the season as well as after the losses to Arsenal and Leipzig, so no idea where this “we don’t come back stronger” is coming from.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I hope we are able to bounce back quickly, as we can't afford to be dropping points with the form City are in.

After our last loss to Arsenal, we reacted well, so im hoping we do the same.

What worries me is that we can't afford to rotate most of our best eleven, so i hope the wheels don't come off completely. Seems Cavani might have to start every game, and that's not really a good idea.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I'd like to see Fred and Cavani brought back in to stimulate the reaction.

I think we're a different team when Fred plays - we're certainly more of a bitch to play against and I think the same could be said for Cavani lately.
Cavani just HAS to start over Martial.

Ludens the Red

Arsenal Away
Southampton at Home
Everton at Home
West Ham at Home ( Cup)

To cut a long story short, what you’re saying is the Arsenal game is Oles first real test?

please don’t deduct me point in the prediction game

El Zoido

City is irrelevant, our fight is for top four. We’re doing alright, but the performance last night was unacceptable on so many levels. I’ve felt the form of the team has been dropping recently, the front line just isn’t firing at all and it’s causing huge problems. Not wanting to sound entitled, but we need to be winning the odd game 3 or 4 nil, when we’re three up at half time and can rest players after an hour. Every game is balls to the wall for 90 minutes and it’s not sustainable. City were 3-0 up after half an hour against West Brom and played the final hour on cruise control.

red_de_pologne

WLDL

Bounce back against Arse in style, only to slump to a defeat at home against Southampton, it's basically 99% sure thing to happen.

Then a result against Everton and a loss to Moyes boyes.

Judas

Open to offers
City is irrelevant, our fight is for top four. We’re doing alright, but the performance last night was unacceptable on so many levels. I’ve felt the form of the team has been dropping recently, the front line just isn’t firing at all and it’s causing huge problems. Not wanting to sound entitled, but we need to be winning the odd game 3 or 4 nil, when we’re three up at half time and can rest players after an hour. Every game is balls to the wall for 90 minutes and it’s not sustainable. City were 3-0 up after half an hour against West Brom and played the final hour on cruise control.

Yep. They're in a different league to us and the rest right now.

We need to be looking down not up, if we somehow find ourselves top again amazing, but our focus needs to be keeping our current spot, because it's going to be a horribly tight race I think for the CL.

TrueRed79

Matic, Martial, Tuanzebe, Telles, De Gea all played terribly last night. Pogba had one of his 5/10 performances where he held on to the ball for way too long. Are these players coached to take a load of touches on the ball in central midfield? It seems that way. Literally thought we had to turn up to beat them. Mentally not at it and that's on Ole and his team selection. Ole's subs are generally awful. Why does he take an age to make changes? Taking Greenwood odd when Martial is completely off the boil is also bizarre. This is not an overreaction, we are in a fight for top 4 with this lot. Forget the title. Our defence is just not good enough to sustain a challenge.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think for an injection of something different, include Diallo for 10 mins on one of those games, maybe Southampton or West Ham or any of them if were well on the way to a loss. If the kid is ready, then he’s ready and no time in training will get him any more suited than real game time.

What I saw yesterday was lethargy, lack of creativity, poor decision making and quite simply “the same old shit”.

I’m tired of seeing the same dry 1-2’s between Rashford and Martial that lead to absolutely nothing. The opps obviously know what they’re going to do and defend it well. Tired of seeing Martial try and beat a player and just run into a defender,again the opps know he’s going to do it and defend it well. Same with Telles/Shaw and Rashford on the left.

I also was against Ole changing the formation every game, but he needs to switch from 4231 a bit more. It’s too formulaic and especially against low block teams defending narrowly. We need to toy with playing 2 up front again, because time after time I see our lead striker in mid field trying to get involved in the game, which shows the formation isn’t working.

He may not need to do it at the beginning of the match but on the fly. I was severely disappointed when he never changed the formation when brining on his subs on 80 mins.
I wanted Diallo on the bench last night - true because I thought we'd go two or three up and it would be a good time to ease him in, but reckon he has something oppositions won't have seen and could be caught cold

city-puma

After the unbeaten run for quite a while, I think everyone of us would expect a setback sometime. It’s just few of us could foresee it’s the game against Sheffield utd.
but we are not the first time to experience a setback. We will bounce back the next game. Yeah, mark my word, we will beat Arsenal!

Siorac

I think a defeat at Arsenal and then a couple of draws is the most likely result.

romufc

I think a defeat at Arsenal and then a couple of draws is the most likely result.
Not to be negative but it seems that way to me. Its a bit annoying because it is a game we could have won.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sums up Ole’s reign. We have cycles. I am very tempted to bet on Arsenal because I think it’s the most likely result.

Suspicious Swelling

I never thought we would sustain a title challenge, though it was nice to be up there for a bit, I'd forgot what it felt like! :lol:
I honestly think that our players just thought they were so much more superior and didn't even need to try in order to beat the Blades. Being top obviously went to their heads.
Lets be honest, aside from the Leeds game, we haven't really turned anyone over at all, and our habit of coming from behind to get results has been well documented. You can't go into every game giving the opposition a head start after 20 minutes and expect to always turn it around. A loss was obviously going to happen sooner or later, especially when combined with an atrocious mightier-than-thou attitude and no effort.

It really pains me to see Man City score 5 with ease against a so called lesser club one day before our players put in that piss poor showing against an even worse team!

Looking forward, I really hope the players and management sort it out quick, and actually the game against Arsenal could be coming at a great time. I feel like we are better suited to playing against teams that actually want to come out their own half, as counter attacking is our best asset. With that in mind, I am fairly hopeful that we could get something from the games coming up provided the mentality and attitude that got us to top in the first place are there.

croadyman

1st November but get your point

Doracle

Sums up Ole’s reign. We have cycles. I am very tempted to bet on Arsenal because I think it’s the most likely result.
Does it? When did we last go 3-4 games without winning? 2019 probably?We’ve been incredibly consistent results wise for a long time. One shocking display doesn’t change that.