A (serious) look at Eric ten Hag

Suedesi

I like the way his team plays and here's a video breaking down his tactics.

He is the hottest commodity around at the moment, not surprised if he ends up at Bayern Munich sooner rather than later (he coached Bayern Munich II a few years ago).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Can I be the first to claim he needs to win major trophies over a sustained period before he is proven enough to join a big club challenging for major trophies?

Also <generic statement on bottle and possibility of being a fraud>

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Guy has zero personality in front of the camera. His press conferences are often the subject of jokes in the Netherlands.

With that being said, he's great at the actual football stuff.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
His style is typical Dutch positional play with intense counter pressing a lot of Dutch Football has forgotten about. He has a good mix of Dutch and German style Football. Will probably end up back at Bayern soon.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Erik Ten Hag "Guardiola's philosophy is sensational, and he has demonstrated this at Barcelona, Bayern, and City. His structured attacking play is very attractive and I aim to implement this at Ajax."
Well in the light of the recent events i am glad that he didn't implement the rest of Guardiola's tactics yet:lol: What i am really thankful to him is that he kept the returned from Peter Bosz bravery in this team after some long years of cautious football under De Boer.. Not only that but Ten Hag added more structure and removed the naivety of the play..

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sure we had the same thread and video a few months back. I remember commenting on that I thought the guy was actually the ex Chelsea and Barca assistant (ten cate) so was a bit surprised when some white bald guy popped up. :lol:

Still very impressive work....next Chelsea manager? They like a quick up and comer.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Not as good as Eric eleven Hag.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sure we had the same thread and video a few months back. I remember commenting on that I thought the guy was actually the ex Chelsea and Barca assistant (ten cate) so was a bit surprised when some white bald guy popped up. :lol:

Still very impressive work....next Chelsea manager? They like a quick up and comer.
Holy shit. That’s who I thought it was :lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
:lol:, I knew someone will make a thread like this. Either way, can’t wait to see the battle of my 1st and second managerial choice in the semi final of this season champions league. An addendum to the video the original poster posted

Erik ten Hag is definitely someone to watch out for in the future. Even though, the competition is not as tough in his league, he has shown with his football that his philosophy is certainly attractive and he can compete at the bigger stage. It may be a bit early, but I will accept an hypothetical triple swoop of Erik ten Hag, Edwin Van Der Sar, and De Ligt this summer if things doesn’t improve.

Last edited:

Sjaakmeoff

Ten Hag should never join a club like United. He needs to be at a club where they trust that the way he works will pay off after a while. It takes time to implement this playing style. Also, all players must follow instruction. If one doesn't, it won't work. No ego's, but a hard working team that will have each others back at all time.

Time is what he won't get at a club like United (same thing with V Gaal...yes, i think it would've worked after a bit more time)
100% commitment from the players? Meh, i don't know.

Robbie Boy

Read an article on him the other day and he seems like a fantastic manager who has a very attractive style of play. Obviously the Erdevisie and all that, but he has pulled out some good results in Europe too.

For anyone more informed than myself, has he been linked with any of the bigger jobs/does he have what it takes? Cocu and De Boer looked very good in Holland too but were relative failures when they moved on.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Read an article on him the other day and he seems like a fantastic manager who has a very attractive style of play. Obviously the Erdevisie and all that, but he has pulled out some good results in Europe too.

For anyone more informed than myself, has he been linked with any of the bigger jobs/does he have what it takes? Cocu and De Boer looked very good in Holland too but were relative failures when they moved on.
What makes him a heavily sought-after coach?

Ten Hag’s success at Ajax has been remarkable. During his time in Amsterdam, out of 147 matches, the Dutch giants have won 107, drawn 18 and lost only 22. His points-per-match is a staggering 2.31. His teams have scored an abundance of goals – a total of 404 since the 2017/18 season. In 2018/19, Ajax scored 119 goals, just three behind the all-time league record set by Ajax in 1966/67.

With an attack-minded philosophy, Ajax under ten Hag have consistently played some of the most attractive football in the world during his tenure. Using the trademark Ajax 4-3-3 formation, ten Hag pushes for a free-flowing attack, exploiting the opposition with pace from his wingers and an advanced midfielder, while utilising the skill and awareness of two deeper midfielders, who control the tempo of each match and connect the attack with the defence.

https://lastwordonsports.com/footba...ager-erik-ten-hag-is-ready-for-the-next-step/

Robbie Boy

What makes him a heavily sought-after coach?

Ten Hag’s success at Ajax has been remarkable. During his time in Amsterdam, out of 147 matches, the Dutch giants have won 107, drawn 18 and lost only 22. His points-per-match is a staggering 2.31. His teams have scored an abundance of goals – a total of 404 since the 2017/18 season. In 2018/19, Ajax scored 119 goals, just three behind the all-time league record set by Ajax in 1966/67.

With an attack-minded philosophy, Ajax under ten Hag have consistently played some of the most attractive football in the world during his tenure. Using the trademark Ajax 4-3-3 formation, ten Hag pushes for a free-flowing attack, exploiting the opposition with pace from his wingers and an advanced midfielder, while utilising the skill and awareness of two deeper midfielders, who control the tempo of each match and connect the attack with the defence.

https://lastwordonsports.com/footba...ager-erik-ten-hag-is-ready-for-the-next-step/
Cheers bud.

He looks really exciting but his name isn't mentioned nearly as frequently as the likes of Rose and Naglelsmann. He would be a very interesting option for one of the European heavy hitters.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Cheers bud.

He looks really exciting but his name isn't mentioned nearly as frequently as the likes of Rose and Naglelsmann. He would be a very interesting option for one of the European heavy hitters.
I wouldn't mind him here to be honest, attacking football n'all. Let's see how he does in the remaining games of the Euro. He probably will move to a better league I reckon.

elnorte

Freaky fly day

Don't we already have that?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I think the Bayern fans were super keen on him when they had Kovač, no one expected Hansi Flick to work out as well as he did though. But that was the rumour at the time. So he's on the radar.

Robbie Boy

I think the Bayern fans were super keen on him when they had Kovač, no one expected Hansi Flick to work out as well as he did though. But that was the rumour at the time. So he's on the radar.
Aye, I imagine he's on the radar of plenty of big clubs. I suppose he doesn't quite get the same chatter due to managing in the Erdevesie. His record looks sublime though and he'll surely get a shot at a big European superpower at some point. No disrespect to Ajax, of course.

I really amen't too clued up on him but I stumbled across a very insightful article during the week and have been reading up on him since. It is worth noting that De Boer looked fantastic there too and failed badly when he left. Although he did appear to have a drastically different philosophy/style of play. I also have no idea how De Boer faired in Europe.

tomaldinho1

Would have been great to follow LVG, question is now what the appetite is for a genuine project like his style? Jose > Ole hasn't been a huge tactical shift (cultural sure but not massively tactical) whereas this would be a real shift.

Long term I'd argue yes, but then I'm a big believer that we won't win anything without adapting to control possession better. Maybe we don't need such a big change to win things.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He was in charge of Bayern’s second team when Pep was there, hence the Bayern links.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I really like this guy. If we needed a manager today he'd probably be my first choice.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And he will stay there - did a good job at the club for the second team, proved himself at a second-tier top club and is always considered a candidate when Bayern is searching for a new coach. But that's no guarantee that this will ever happen as Bayern has a lot of former players and coaches on the radar, as well as international top coaches. Some months ago Rummenige for example talked about Xabi Alonso being a possible option for the future (not right now, but when he has proven himself a bit more).

Reactions: Cheimoon

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Brilliant manager in my opinion. He lacks a bit of charisma but he managed to keep the style of Ajax without it being reckless like Bozs did. So you wouldn’t be surprised that I would like this fecker to feck off.

Marcus

Brilliant manager in my opinion. He lacks a bit of charisma but he managed to keep the style of Ajax without it being reckless like Bozs did. So you wouldn’t be surprised that I would like this fecker to feck off.
Isn't Ajax in the Dutch league like PSG in the French league? How hard is it to look good there?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Isn't Ajax in the Dutch league like PSG in the French league? How hard is it to look good there?
There are several clubs winning a lot of titles in the Netherlands. It is more like the PL top teams than like a one-horse race like the French league.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
No. We have about as much titles as Ajax the last 20 years. Before Ten Hag arrived they also weren’t champions. Besides Ten Hag also did really well in Europe.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Ah ok. Thanks for the insight!
No problem. There is a change they will become that way though but that’s partly because of the good job Ten Hag did as well as Overmars and Van der Sar. They have a really good structure at the moment. A bit like Bayern with ex footballers on all major positions.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Aye, I imagine he's on the radar of plenty of big clubs. I suppose he doesn't quite get the same chatter due to managing in the Erdevesie. His record looks sublime though and he'll surely get a shot at a big European superpower at some point. No disrespect to Ajax, of course.

I really amen't too clued up on him but I stumbled across a very insightful article during the week and have been reading up on him since. It is worth noting that De Boer looked fantastic there too and failed badly when he left. Although he did appear to have a drastically different philosophy/style of play. I also have no idea how De Boer faired in Europe.
Football under de Boer was very very boring, however winning the championship 4 times in a row was great. The opposition were quite poor I must say, and although Ajax kept selling their best players, they still had some good players someway. In Europe however, Ajax didn't come close to how Ajax plays in Europe now. Despite wins vs City, United and Barcelona. It was annoying that Ajax was almost always grouped with Real Madrid, there was also one season where it really looked like there was some match-fixing taking place. Ajax was going to be #2 by all means apart from a freak/monster score, and ofcourse that freak monster score happened with a player seen winking and the #4 conceding comical goals.

Frank de Boer did very well, but he's not a manager like Ten Hag where you can see his hand on the team for the good.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Unlike many in The Netherlands, I think Ajax will never become the Bayern/PSG of the Netherlands... The reason behind this is that Ajax will sell their best players évery year. And the better we perform, the more likely it wil be we lose our players. That makes it very hard to perform at a constant level. Ofcourse Ajax has a lot of money for Dutch standards and this definitely helps in which players you can attract to replace your players, but transfer will always remain hit and miss...

That being sad.. Ten Hag is doing a tremendous job at Ajax and has done for the last couple of years. He succeeds in playing with a very attractive style, whilst still keeping the doors closed in the back. Im 32 years old now and I have never seen any Ajax side which wins all the domestic games which such (apparent) ease and consistency. And that combined with a very busy European schedule..

In Europe we have performed incredibly, in a way Ajax hasnt been able to since Koeman in 2002.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Unlike many in The Netherlands, I think Ajax will never become the Bayern/PSG of the Netherlands... The reason behind this is that Ajax will sell their best players évery year. And the better we perform, the more likely it wil be we lose our players. That makes it very hard to perform at a constant level. Ofcourse Ajax has a lot of money for Dutch standards and this definitely helps in which players you can attract to replace your players, but transfer will always remain hit and miss...

That being sad.. Ten Hag is doing a tremendous job at Ajax and has done for the last couple of years. He succeeds in playing with a very attractive style, whilst still keeping the doors closed in the back. Im 32 years old now and I have never seen any Ajax side which wins all the domestic games which such (apparent) ease and consistency. And that combined with a very busy European schedule..

In Europe we have performed incredibly, in a way Ajax hasnt been able to since Koeman in 2002.
That’s also (apart from Ajax being good which certainly is true) because the Eredivisie has never been worse in those times. Especially the top clubs.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
An Overmars / Ten Hag duo should be on the radar if the Edu / Arteta era fizzles out.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
He's an excellent fit for Ajax, maybe would fit into the German football culture quite nicely as well. Would be eaten alive by any dressing room with big name big ego players in any other country I think, the media would have a field day with him as well because he's not exactly charismatic, more like a bit awkward and weird and stubborn.

Disagree with the reckless/Bosz comparison as well, he's a a good coach but not some tactical wunderkind like he's made out to be by some people and it's all very predictable, just typical Dutch football tactics that plenty of other Dutch coaches could serve up as well. Including the same naivity that's always so costly at the highest level. Ajax ultimately getting elimated by Spurs in the CL was a pathetic bottle job for which he deserves as much blame as he tends to get credit for making the semi-finals in the first place. They were 2-0 up and kept attacking like a bunch of school kids ffs.

Similar this season when they bottled it against a decent but unspectacular Atalanta Bergamo side and got knocked out of the CL, what the feck was that?

Good coach, absolutely laughable to describe him as 'brilliant' in my opinion, to a point where it actually annoys me when I see someone do it.