A solution To Our Set Piece Problems?

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I've been wondering this for a while, considering our woeful record from corners and free kicks:

Is there anything in the rules that forbids a player from physically lifting up a team mate (rugby line out style) so that they can head the ball unimpeded?

It could revolutionise the game.

Suedesi

I've been wondering this for a while, considering our woeful record from corners and free kicks:

Is there anything in the rules that forbids a player from physically lifting up a team mate (rugby line out style) so that they can head the ball unimpeded?

Yes

:lol: :lol: :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that a WC CB with brains and leadership would help a great deal. We really lack one of those.

lsd

The Oracle
We could just stay marking players instead of zonal marking. How hard would it be to put Maguire on the opponents best header instead of Wan Bisakka being there?

Last edited:

FatTails

We’re not going to face Wood and Tarkowski every week. We’re not that bad at set pieces, they’re just exceptional at them since it’s one of their main strengths.

Guapa

A decent keeper and centre half would help greatly.

Mickson

We’re not going to face Wood and Tarkowski every week. We’re not that bad at set pieces, they’re just exceptional at them since it’s one of their main strengths.
What? We are clearly very, very bad at it. Regardless of who we are facing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Put people on the posts, I don't know why there's always got to be a revolution, what happened to if it's not broke then don't fix it? No idea why no one puts people on the post anymore

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
My biggest problem is that we dont Score goals from corners.

I believe the moment we find a defender or a player that can score from our corners; then we will sort out our defensive ability on corners too.

arnie_ni

Haven't conceded more goals from set prices than open play?

We are horrid at defending corners.

Withnail

I think our problem boils down to the face that we don't have a proper dominant CB.

Maguire/Lindelof would be fine with a better defender beside them.

The Oracle

Stop zonal marking.
Exactly this.

- The defender is always at a disadvantage, because in his zone he'll do a standing jump.

- The striker on the other hand will always have an advantage, because he can move from one player's zone to another, with a running jump; and therefore outjump the defender.

RUCK4444

Cue Harry Maguire being carried on the shoulders of a crazed Phil Jones as the ball goes sailing past them, taking two defenders out of the game, and headed in at the back post

Jokes aside this only works in rugby because you can use your arms, lifting players who can only use their head would be massively difficult and inaccurate. :lol:

Foxbatt

Exactly this.

- The defender is always at a disadvantage, because in his zone he'll do a standing jump.

- The striker on the other hand will always have an advantage, because he can move from one player's zone to another, with a running jump; and therefore outjump the defender.
Yes spot on. No matter what the player running is going to get more elevation. It is stupid to see AWB marking their best header while our two CBs just stand there. I would say if we switch to a hybrid zonal and man to man marking, then we will stop conceding these stupid goals.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They can start by not setting up shop in the goalkeeper's groin. At that range any touch leaves the keeper with no chance.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Cue Harry Maguire being carried on the shoulders of a crazed Phil Jones as the ball goes sailing past them, taking two defenders out of the game, and headed in at the back post

Jokes aside this only works in rugby because you can use your arms, lifting players who can only use their head would be massively difficult and inaccurate. :lol:
:lol::drool:

city-puma

The goal we conceded today was just simply a perfect delivery, a perfect condition (bright sunshine against us), and a perfect movement and execution from them. Our three players marking their outer three are just physically smaller and/or slimmer. No complaint from me. It happens.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Every time a player is picked up by his team "YOU RAISE ME UP, SO I CAN STAND A MOUNTAIN" should play over the stadium loudspeakers.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Defending set pieces may actually be the worst aspect of our team.. i wouldnt be surprised if set piece goals made up 40% of our total goals conceded. Of we defended set pieces better wed still be in a title race.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
feck have you been watching if you think we aren't bad at defending set pieces?

More than half of our goals are conceded from set pieces.

elmo

I think our problem boils down to the face that we don't have a proper dominant CB.

Maguire/Lindelof would be fine with a better defender beside them.
We'll be better off if we stop fecking about and just put Maguire on the opponent's biggest threat from headers.
Is a fecking joke to watch AWB marking the tallest guy giving up a free header at goal every game.

A-man

feck have you been watching if you think we aren't bad at defending set pieces?

More than half of our goals are conceded from set pieces.
I think we can even specify further and say that the problem has been corners or the mess created just after the corner. If we can improve on that, we would concede very few goals.

elmo

I think we can even specify further and say that the problem has been corners or the mess created just after the corner. If we can improve on that, we would concede very few goals.
Exactly.

For all the concerns about Lindelof and Maguire not having the pace to catch up to pacy strikers and they'll struggle when we're playing much higher up, they don't actually concede that many goals from those situations compared to us looking like a baby is controlling the controllers in FIFA during corners.

A-man

Exactly.

For all the concerns about Lindelof and Maguire not having the pace to catch up to pacy strikers and they'll struggle when we're playing much higher up, they don't actually concede that many goals from those situations compared to us looking like a baby is controlling the controllers in FIFA during corners.
It is exactly my thinking as well. A lot people think the priority is a speedy CB, but in reality we have not had any problems at all with speedy strikers.
When we defend corners it is an effort from the whole team, and even though our team as a whole is a little bit on the weak side in the air, the reason for conceding all those goals is poor organisation. It is not alsways so easy to fix things during a season. We play 2 matches per week plus travel and there is not so much time left for training. However this must be prioritised. I don't have fresh figures and the official stats don't include goals that come on second wave on corners, but I remember at some point half way through the season, we had conceded around half of our goals from setpieces. To just improve to be average in this area would have a huge effect. I would say we would be up there competing for the league title.

That said, we have improved a little lately and don't concede a corner goal every second game anymore. I don't know if it is because of improved organisation, or maybe because we are playing Pogba more, which really helps as he clears a lot of corners.

Infra-red

A goalkeeper who is much better at claiming crosses than Henderson/De Gea and defenders who are better in the air than Lindelof/Wan Bissaka.

A CM and a #9 with decent aerial ability, would be bonuses.

Sylar

We go Zonal marking, but the one thing most teams do when man marking, is implement a zonal marking idea which is a man on the post. Yesterday, a man on the post stops the goal.

I dont get why we dont do it? Theres a free man so you do that surely? We are conceding too many from set pieces to say zonal doesnt work with our players or the amount of training / practice that goes into it.

Man on far post will help surely. And then you go man marking with the best defenders against the best attackers.

cyril C

it is not just about height, because apparently height wise was Maguire 194cm/100kg / Vs Tarkowski 185cm/81kg. When a taller & heavier man was bumped off the line, you need something/someone else. What is the name of our Mascot?

Sylar

it is not just about height, because apparently height wise was Maguire 194cm/100kg / Vs Tarkowski 185cm/81kg. When a taller & heavier man was bumped off the line, you need something/someone else. What is the name of our Mascot?
donny van de beek

Lentwood

We could just stay marking players instead of zonal marking. How hard would it be to put Maguire on the opponents best header instead of Wan Bisakka being there?
The problem with that is teams get wise to it and just take the opponents best header of the ball out of the picture. It’s worth sacrificing your best attacking header to take out the opponents best defensive header.

This is why teams mark zonally. It guarantees your best headers of the ball are in the positions that need defending the most.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Exactly this.

I don’t know how professional coaches don’t see this as a huge negative, or how zonal marking ever became a thing.