Aaron Ramsey

Robbie Boy

What's the story with him? He's fecking diabolical and Wenger continues to persist with him. I mean, what's his best position, even? Nothing player if ever there was one.

arthurka

Baffling really.. Wenger has defended him and stuck by him through thick and thin.. What he is repaying his manager with is nothing short of disgraceful..

Seveneric

Not been following him closely (at all), but I thought he hit a good patch of form last season? Or has he been bad for a while now.

ike

Used to think we missed out on not signing Ramsey and Wiltshire. What a mess those 2 turned out to be.

WhoDaGOAT

Ramsey is a quality player, but inconsistent.

He must be freed up to make forward runs. He does not have the discipline to sit or dictate from deep. He has Lampard type qualities.

He had a good Euro 2016 and has scored winning goals in two FA Cup finals.

Certainly not a nothing player.

Blind

He must be freed up to make forward runs. He does not have the discipline to sit or dictate from deep. He has Lampard type qualities.

Spot on, he was more impressive than Bale at the Euros I thought, they really missed him in the semi final. If you allow him to roam with cover behind him he's capable of knitting everything together and of course make brilliant late runs into the box to get his fair share of goals. Him and Xhaka are a dreadful combination, yet Wenger persists with it despite both of them playing their best football with a holding midfielder covering them.

wythyred

Disagree with this OP, Ramsey is a good player that is criminally mismanaged he should used the same way Coleman does for wales.

His midfield partners are terrible at Arsenal it's not by coincidence he had his best season for them in a midfield three with Coquelin and Cazorla.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He's a very good player under a woeful manager at a shambles of a club. He must really regret declining Ferguson; he'd likely be an elite European player by now.

The one season Arsenal played him in a central free role, he was probably the best in the league, but then they bought Ozil and he's ended up filling gaps out wide or too deep.

Yet another British player who's not developed at Arsenal; Ox, Walcott, Wilshere and Chambers have all stagnated there. Under Pocchettino-types, they'd have flourished in the players they threatened to be early on.

I actually think he'd be a big asset to Mourinho in the role Mkhi currently occupies; his late runs into the box would see double figures in terms of goals IMO. More mobile than Mata and as he's shown for Wales, he can create a lot from an attacking role.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
He's a good player being misused by Wenger.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Thank feck he didn't score. Don't want another celeb to die.

Bruce Forsyth :(

RIP

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Agree with this, he's always brilliant for the national team.
So was some dude who didn't even have a club, and Ashley Williams. He's dogshit for the gunners, aside from a few cameos now and again where people forget how poor he is 90% of the time. Even then people blame formations or gameplans or Wenger for it, yet Sanchez doesn't suffer from his tactics but Ramsey is stifled?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
So was some dude who didn't even have a club, and Ashley Williams. He's dogshit for the gunners, aside from a few cameos now and again where people forget how poor he is 90% of the time. Even then people blame formations or gameplans or Wenger for it, yet Sanchez doesn't suffer from his tactics but Ramsey is stifled?
Ashley Williams was excellent in the PL for a fair few years, so I'm not sure what your point is there? I mean he's still probably better than any Liverpool cb ;) Ramsey is misused at Arsenal, he hasn't got the positioning or defensive awareness to be trusted in a midfield holding role. Sanchez has nothing to do with Ramsey being played out of position, so again, what's your point there?

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Ashley Williams was excellent in the PL for a fair few years, so I'm not sure what your point is there? I mean he's still probably better than any Liverpool cb ;) Ramsey is misused at Arsenal, he hasn't got the positioning or defensive awareness to be trusted in a midfield holding role. Sanchez has nothing to do with Ramsey being played out of position, so again, what's your point there?
My nan is better than any current Liverpool cb, and she's dead so I'm not sure what difference that makes? Stale bread probably tastes better than cat shit, doesn't mean you'd wanna eat either.

Misused? Didn't I mention people blame formations or tactics or Wenger already? A good player is a good player, they shine no matter what. He's had what, 9-10 years at Arsenal and he's still reliant on mis-used excuses. Sanchez has been played all over the pitch, in your terms "mis-used" so that's the point I was alluding to. One of them is a constant star, one is a liability. The rule doesn't apply for one and not the other.

The White Pele

Would do very well for a club that used him in a 'Lampard' role. Has had some absolute shockers playing deeper like at Anfield recently.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
My nan is better than any current Liverpool cb, and she's dead so I'm not sure what difference that makes? Stale bread probably tastes better than cat shit, doesn't mean you'd wanna eat either.

Misused? Didn't I mention people blame formations or tactics or Wenger already? A good player is a good player, they shine no matter what. He's had what, 9-10 years at Arsenal and he's still reliant on mis-used excuses. Sanchez has been played all over the pitch, in your terms "mis-used" so that's the point I was alluding to. One of them is a constant star, one is a liability. The rule doesn't apply for one and not the other.
You're missing my point. Ramsey is played out of position at Arsenal, and as a result doesn't play to his full ability. Sanchez (a bonafide world class player) excelling at multiple roles doesn't negate the fact that Ramsey is misused. All of his weaknesses are highlighted when Ramsey plays deeper, his lack of defensive nous means he will always struggle if he's expected to screen the defence in any capacity. Ramsey isn't good enough to play more advanced at Arsenal as they have better players in his position, but if he was at a weaker club, like a Southampton or Liverpool, he'd be able to play to his full capabilities in his optimal role, like he does for Wales.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
You're missing my point. Ramsey is played out of position at Arsenal, and as a result doesn't play to his full ability. Sanchez (a bonafide world class player) excelling at multiple roles doesn't negate the fact that Ramsey is misused. All of his weaknesses are highlighted when Ramsey plays deeper, his lack of defensive nous means he will always struggle if he's expected to screen the defence in any capacity. Ramsey isn't good enough to play more advanced at Arsenal as they have better players in his position, but if he was at a weaker club, like a Southampton or Liverpool, he'd be able to play to his full capabilities in his optimal role, like he does for Wales.
Mate you could look good playing for Wales, Bale aside they're a squad of journeymen, championship level players and the Welsh Xavi. I fail to see what people see in Ramsey, even in his best position. But he's like a lot of Arsenal players that get excused all the time, Walcott and Welbeck have the same get out of jail cards, Oxlade-Chambermaid is another albeit now ex Arsenal but he was always played out of postion apparently.

Sometimes people just need to admit players just aren't as good as people think they are. Would you take Ramsey in your team? For the sake of argument at the price of Ox, £40m. I sure as shit wouldn't, and that's from someone whose team have mediocrity like Henderson, Wijnalldum and Can in the team.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Mate you could look good playing for Wales, Bale aside they're a squad of journeymen, championship level players and the Welsh Xavi. I fail to see what people see in Ramsey, even in his best position. But he's like a lot of Arsenal players that get excused all the time, Walcott and Welbeck have the same get out of jail cards, Oxlade-Chambermaid is another albeit now ex Arsenal but he was always played out of postion apparently.

Sometimes people just need to admit players just aren't as good as people think they are. Would you take Ramsey in your team? For the sake of argument at the price of Ox, £40m. I sure as shit wouldn't, and that's from someone whose team have mediocrity like Henderson, Wijnalldum and Can in the team.
I don't agree with your first point, surely playing for a weak team against high end teams and performing is a positive. Like you said he plays with a bunch of journeymen yet still managed to play well at the Euros.

Regarding the second point, I wouldn't want him for 40 as I don't think he's worth that kind of outlay. I've described him as a good player, which he is, and one who plays out of position at Arsenal, which he does. I think you're presuming that I rate him higher than I do.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
He hasn't been played out of position. He's played as a box to box CM. A CM is expected to drop back and support his midfield partner in defending. However Ramsey gets far too forward and out of position that he leaves the defense and his midfield partner completely exposed. He actually often played further forward than Ozil and the wingers last year. Ignoring all that from 14/15 he was passing to the opposition, missing the target with his shots and not winning the ball back.

Where do you think he should play? As a number 10? Because he was pretty poor there in 11/12

In 12/13 and 13/14 he was constantly winning the ball back, the best ball winner in the league for 2013. Since he added goals in 13/14 to his game he's started thinking he's Roy of The Rovers since then and both the goals and the tackling had all dried up.

Now playing him on the right wing was playing him out of position but Wenger was forced to do so after he had been so shocking and unreliable in the centre.

Now yesterday he actually played well as a number 8 because he was tactically better positioned and didn't abandon his teammates. Hopefully his good form continues and fitness is part of the battle for Ramsey too, if he gets a good couple of years uninjured I'd expect him to hit his peak form.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ramsay is pure quality, the most gifted British midfielder for me. I only imagine what he could have become in a different environment.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Disagree with this OP, Ramsey is a good player that is criminally mismanaged he should used the same way Coleman does for wales.

His midfield partners are terrible at Arsenal it's not by coincidence he had his best season for them in a midfield three with Coquelin and Cazorla.
This.

Put him in his best position as the most forward player in a 3-man midfield with adequate cover and he'll play well, unfortunately for him Arsenal have Ozil there and are trying to shoe-horn him in as a CM in a 2-man midfield which he is absolutely not.

He's excellent at picking up space in between the opposition defence and midfield and making runs in to the box, neither of which he has the freedom to do playing where Wenger is playing him.

Slowly becoming a totally clueless manager who has no idea what role is best for his players, Arsenal have an abundance of midfield options but it's incredibly imbalanced; as good as Ozil can be on his day he's a big culprit here as due to his inability to defend meaning he's incapable of playing in a 3-man midfield and needs a double-pivot behind him which Arsenal simply don't have - Xhaka is too slow and immobile to play in a 2-man midfield and Ramsey as mentioned is better with more freedom to push forward, whilst Coquelin/Elneny are both fairly average holding players who need a mobile distributor alongside them.

So in short, I think Arsenal's midfield is packed full of players who operate better in a midfield 3, yet one of their best players (Ozil) can't play in said system, and they are trying to build things around him at the moment midfield wise to no avail as players are playing in unfamiliar roles. We'll see how they look when Cazorla is back, he could transform things in a 2-man pivot with a proper DM alongside him, but could also prove to be A) finished or B) too lightweight.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Some odd comments here. Ramsey brilliant? He's just decent and the Chelsea performance was quite rare.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't rate him.
What's his position?
Can you name a single player out of that British talent pool at Arsenal, that actually have a set position and have been playing there for years? Genuine question, I'm not sure I can.

Blind

Can you name a single player out of that British talent pool at Arsenal, that actually have a set position and have been playing there for years? Genuine question, I'm not sure I can.
Wilshere has nailed down the spot on the treatment table.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Truth - Ramsey, Chamberlain, Walcott, Wilshere all regarded as top-level talents, all have failed to kick on to the next level, Wilshere you can put down to injuries and to a lesser extent Chamberlain (although this raises another question, of why Arsenal suffer so many soft-tissue injuries), but collectively they're been poorly managed and shifted all over the pitch to constantly changing or unfamiliar roles and positions.

tomaldinho1

Disagree with the OP but it's more a case of Wenger being a crap manager than Ramsey being shit.

He should play in an advanced central role, if not he's a bog standard CM and shouldn't be in Arsenal's team. Problem is you can't have Ozil & Ramsey in the same position - kind of like Man Utd where Mkhi and Mata are both best centrally and one of them gets shunted to the right (usually Mata).

Brophs

The One and Only
He's a better player than he currently looks, but his chances of ever being anything close to a top player are well gone. So often when you watch him he contributes almost nothing. Not talented enough to be a luxury, not mediocre enough for it to make sense for him to dumb down his game and just play like a jobbing midfielder.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What role does he play for Wales?
Usually a free role ahead of two more defensive minded midfielders (Allen, Ledley/Edwards). He excels there, but the problem is he is not good enough to play that position for Arsenal or a top club. He would look better at a smaller club where he could be given more freedom.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He had an absolutely fantastic season a few years back. Can't remember which one but he was consistently excellent from start to finish.

I also thought he was quality at the last WC. Mine you, so was Joe Allen.
13/14.

WhoDaGOAT

He had an absolutely fantastic season a few years back. Can't remember which one but he was consistently excellent from start to finish.

I also thought he was quality at the last WC. Mine you, so was Joe Allen.
Players like Bale, Ramsey and Allen are the difference between Ireland and Wales right now. Allen is a solid top 10 PL midfielder.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Players like Bale, Ramsey and Allen are the difference between Ireland and Wales right now. Allen is a solid top 10 PL midfielder.
Wales have a pretty good side in fairness. Good PL players all over, and a few top/very good ones. Hennessy, Williams, Ben Davies, Allen, Ramsay, Bale, Robson Kanu. Decent side.