Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What does this even mean? Are you implying it won't be possible to play attacking football with AWB in the side.

I recall one of our best ever teams had Wes Brown at right back and AWB was better than him on the ball and he obviously didn't prevent us from scoring loads or playing the brilliant attacking football that we did that season.

As another poster mentioned, the overreactions with AWB are just weird now.
What this means is that teams in the game now are well drilled when it comes to pressing high up the pitch and fullbacks are used as attacking weapons by those coaches who want to impose their game on the opposition. So if the plan is to implement a high line, then the fullback is basically playing in midfield in transition and is expected to contribute at a high level in the build up phase which Wan Bissaka fails at IMO. I don't even care about assists or goals, but his ability in the build up phase isn't of the requisite standard and it's no surprise that numerous opposition coaches have chanced it by leaving him unmarked whilst defending against us. It's also no surprise that it's reported that Solskjaer wanted Trippier who is more competent in the build up phase in comparison to Wan Bissaka.

UncleBob

Depends how it is rated. He is one of the best right backs in England at defending.
Depends how you define defending. Isolated and in a one on one against Bissaka, he'll consistently win against most players. His positioning and reading of the game is dodgy as feck, however.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It seems that people have possibly called him out for todays goal when it's Maguires fault :lol:

Oranges038

Still not good enough on the ball.

If he doesn't sort that out, he'll never be good enough.

Bebestation

...and according to you, Shaw didnt have a single decent match until Ole took over.

:lol:
I'm just saying that Wan Bissaka can improve if Shaw can improve because Shaw was average for a long long time here.

I like Wan Bissaka and it's clear you don't. As I've said before, the fact that nearly everyone plays with an inverted LW these days makes me value Wan Bissaka - because for all his defending you say he does not do; I feel he looks after that channel well. I find Wan Bissaka a rare valuable footballer to have in the squad.

Sure we can have a better attacking player but that doesn't mean we need to shit and run over our players with some defensive abilities is there?

Anyway, he isn't going anywhere. Slowly improving his attacking game but needs more speed and accuracy.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

He's a good RB but definitely not world class and I don't think he ever will be. After we've sorted our midfield out we should definitely find an upgrade if we want to dominate Europe.

jem

Two offs in 4 .

Shaw didn't even have a single decent match for me until Ole managed him.
Not sure what you guys were discussing before but are you seriously saying that Shaw never had a good game before Ole arrived?

Bebestation

Not sure what you guys were discussing before but are you seriously saying that Shaw never had a good game before Ole arrived?
Obviously not theoretically but if I had to say who had more good appearances for us - van gaal/Jose version of shaw vs Ole version of Wan Bissaka then I think I have seen more better performances of AWB.

The van gaal Shaw was not good defensively or attacking.

Strelok

Imo people has been a bit harsh on AWB. He looked great when we were playing our counter attacking football but now as teams respect us more, we have more possession so his offensive liability becomes more apparent and his defensive strength becomes less. He'll be very handy once we have to face the strong teams. Imo he's our best RB atm and he's young so he can still develop.

Many here wrote off Luke Shaw not a long while ago, including me. I was of the opinion Shaw would never become a good crosser and look at how he proved me wrong. So let's see what the lad will do this season before having any conclusion I think.

Red00012

After winning 4-1 people will still find one player to moan about

Polar

AWB is a very consistent and reliable RB. He has developed parts of his play, example: more comfortable with the ball in close situation and make good decisions with the ball (our half of the pitch).

To his price point he off course isn’t good enough on the opponents half of the pitch, but hey… not all players have to be exotic offensive players. Now we have plenty of them. That’s why I’m happy with AWB who probably is the best defensive RB in the league.

Litch

AWB is a very consistent and reliable RB. He has developed parts of his play, example: more comfortable with the ball in close situation and make good decisions with the ball (our half of the pitch).

To his price point he off course isn’t good enough on the opponents half of the pitch, but hey… not all players have to be exotic offensive players. Now we have plenty of them. That’s why I’m happy with AWB who probably is the best defensive RB in the league.
On reflection you might be right. Been guilty myself as having a forensic view on his game and like many on forums, we focus more on what they can't do, and less what they can....

zenith

AWB will be a brilliant all round RB in about 2 years time. Young players, especially defenders need some time to prefect their art.

He has the basics in place and I noticed many a times that when greenwood was attacking the right side AWB was there to support. This was rarely the case in his first season here

El Jefe

What this means is that teams in the game now are well drilled when it comes to pressing high up the pitch and fullbacks are used as attacking weapons by those coaches who want to impose their game on the opposition. So if the plan is to implement a high line, then the fullback is basically playing in midfield in transition and is expected to contribute at a high level in the build up phase which Wan Bissaka fails at IMO. I don't even care about assists or goals, but his ability in the build up phase isn't of the requisite standard and it's no surprise that numerous opposition coaches have chanced it by leaving him unmarked whilst defending against us. It's also no surprise that it's reported that Solskjaer wanted Trippier who is more competent in the build up phase in comparison to Wan Bissaka.
I don't subscribe to that, there's no one size fits all method when it comes to use of fullbacks in a pressing game. Guardiola may do that and Bayern when Kimmich plays RB but at most sides, the fullbacks do not basically play midfield roles.

He has his limitations but we can easily play attacking football with him as we have done on many occasions. The bigger issue is how we move the ball as a team. If our movement off the ball and short passing was better our attacking play would go up to a whole new level.

He's also improving, he's better on the ball now than he was when he joined. Granted he's started this season a bit poorly but he's been a consistent performer so I'd expect him to get into form soon. I'm not against having a better attack RB option in the side for competition but I still feel he has the raw materials to be a top full back for many years if he continues to work on his game.

Wheato

Wasn't his best game yesterday. I have never seen him beaten so many times in a 1v1 situation, and that is usually his forte. I suppose there was a lot of space in behind him for Newcastle forwards to run into, but unlike Shaw on the other side, he never really looked comfortable when they counter attacked. Shaw was just stepping across and taking the ball off them, whereas AWB was facing up to them and getting skinned. Although, even when Varane came across to support, he got skinned too.

I think they will need more game time together to build up a partnership. AWB and Greenwood down the right doesn't really work in an attacking sense, They very rarely overlap or get round the back of defences, always cutting inside. For much of the game, AWB wasn't even marked by Newcastle, which says a lot. Teams don't consider him a risk going forward.

We need to work on this. You can watch footage of him playing for Palace and he was an attacking full back. Playing in the opposition's box. He has lost some of that confidence. Or maybe he has been tasked with feeding the creative players and not crossing himself. Either way, it is a shortfall that we need to eradicate. This team is so good now, that certain issues are polarised, because the bar has been raised.

I can see Dalot getting games this season, because he is so much better going forward and has a wicked cross on him.

Mickson

I completely agree with this post. People are obsessed with assists and goals, and in AWB's case, I don't care if he does that or not. My problem with him is like you are saying, in the build-up. The thing I wonder about when we are talking about Trippier, why did Ole spend £50M on AWB? I hope that Laird will come in next season and replace him as first-choice. AWB is decent but not good enough for United IMO.

MattofManchester

Wasn't his best game yesterday. I have never seen him beaten so many times in a 1v1 situation
I think he's becoming predictable. Generally he's easy to get past, but he makes those tackles at the last moment.
He's becoming something of a target for opposition when they come at us.
Both Wolves and Southampton did it. Newcastle a bit too.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is solid and all that but seems me to me that he is not progressing at all.
His attacking play is very poor and still has problems with ball control. At least he covers better second post crosses.

But overall, he needs to do much much better.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
One peach of a cross but otherwise very frustrating attacking wise. He needs to overlap with more directness and once he's in those positions, put in a cross instead of fanning about and passing it backward or sideways.

Redlyn

I was done last season with him. Still done. Trippier would have benched him within a few games. Not good enough. The opponents don't even bother defending against him properly and instead team up on greenwood.

Redlyn

Imo people has been a bit harsh on AWB. He looked great when we were playing our counter attacking football but now as teams respect us more, we have more possession so his offensive liability becomes more apparent and his defensive strength becomes less. He'll be very handy once we have to face the strong teams. Imo he's our best RB atm and he's young so he can still develop.

Many here wrote off Luke Shaw not a long while ago, including me. I was of the opinion Shaw would never become a good crosser and look at how he proved me wrong. So let's see what the lad will do this season before having any conclusion I think.
Luke Shaw showed his potential to defend and attack at a decent level before his leg break so we had hopes and were quite patient but AWB hasn't shown anything apart the ability to defend one on one.

::sonny::

Lindelof could play there and not Bissaka, I wrote to Linfelof about this, and I will do it with phelan as well

GMoore23

Would honestly play Dalot instead in the Home games where we're heavy favourites like yesterday. Bissaka is the RB version of Chris Smalling. I said before we signed him, I wasn't too keen on signing a Roy Hodson player who's been taught to do nothing but defend in his own half for 90mins. I honestly couldn't understand why we were so interested in him as I knew when we had a top side again like now, he'd stand out like a sore thumb.
What I will say is I expected improvement from him this season as he had a good summer break and a proper preseason, he has been a real disappointment this season thus far though.

Bebestation

Nothing new here and it wont change anyone's mind - after all its just YouTube. Happy to have him here. Need 2 different types of players for each position atleast so Trippier competing with Wan Bissaka makes sense - however i value him and would want him part of my squad as be gives something not other fullbacks give.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Indeed. A fullback who the opposition feel comfortable both leaving unmarked and actively targeting with their press is a big issue.

Someone compared him to Kyle Walker on the previous page but the difference is that Walker is much better at ball progression as well, both in terms of passing and carrying the ball. As you say, the output is less of an issue for me than the impact on our build-up play.

And it's not like Kyle Walker is god's gift to fullbacks either. It's not an accident that AWB found himself some way down the pecking order for England. He's notably worse than all of TAA, Trippier, Walker and James in this regard and it costs him.

It's also something he should be wary of if we ever change manager as it's a tactical liability that just won't hold in a lot of managers' set-ups, to the point where they'd happily opt for fullbacks who are weaker defensively instead.

I'm not even mentioning his performance levels in this regard. He's a very good fullback who has played very well for us at times. But even if he was going to play well individually for the rest of his career, the profile of fullback he is would still be a problem in a lot of top sides.

lsd

The Oracle
It seems that people have possibly called him out for todays goal when it's Maguires fault :lol:

It seems whenever someone like Maguire makes a mistake people look around for someone else to blame and it's always Wan Bissaka they turn to.

He has become the whipping boy for no reason

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Nothing new here and it wont change anyone's mind - after all its just YouTube. Happy to have him here. Need 2 different types of players for each position atleast so Trippier competing with Wan Bissaka makes sense - however i value him and would want him part of my squad as be gives something not other fullbacks give.
Yeah he's been ok. Not at his best but cafe have clearly designated him as the current spacegoat...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not sure if anyone watched trippier the other day for England, but he was just constantly passing it to the other team - so not sure why he's getting a mention compared to AWB based off this performance alone.

He had a poor game, he will also have blinders like he did against city. Way too early to be calling time on him.

Pickle85

He's ok...just rather limited for today's football. Great one on one but fairly poor on the ball and not great going forward. It was noticeable that he got into some decent crossing positions yesterday but obviously doesn't trust himself. Just ended up passing sideways to pogba. Could be upgraded but far from our most pressing area to strengthen.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
To me, He's a big reason why Sancho is better off on the left. Yesterday you can see the runs Shaw made vs him, which made space for Sancho to operate. He wont get the same from AWB.

That said, still rate him as a top defensive RB. Needs so much work on attacking which has been said many times here.

Wheato

It seems whenever someone like Maguire makes a mistake people look around for someone else to blame and it's always Wan Bissaka they turn to.

He has become the whipping boy for no reason
I don't think that anyone is targeting him. It is more a case of frustration when the standard in our starting 11 has gone up a level, and we have a full back that doesn't back himself to cross a ball into the box. The opposition don't even mark him, because he always passes the ball inside.

He is so risk averse and it is effecting the right hand side because Mason won't play the overlap balls because AWB isn't making those runs. Every time the ball is played out wide to the right, it comes straight back.

Newcastle targeted him with their press and managed to cause us lots problems on the counter. A better team could be more clinical and end up scoring against us.

They need to sort out that right hand side, because it aint working for me.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think that anyone is targeting him. It is more a case of frustration when the standard in our starting 11 has gone up a level, and we have a full back that doesn't back himself to cross a ball into the box. The opposition don't even mark him, because he always passes the ball inside.

He is so risk averse and it is effecting the right hand side because Mason won't play the overlap balls because AWB isn't making those runs. Every time the ball is played out wide to the right, it comes straight back.

Newcastle targeted him with their press and managed to cause us lots problems on the counter. A better team could be more clinical and end up scoring against us.

They need to sort out that right hand side, because it aint working for me.
Let's wait to see how he performs in other games. He had to deal with Traore and then S-Maximin. It's possible he was told to prioritize defending... Either way, it's a bit early to be writing him off...

Status
Not open for further replies.