ABU

Fluctuation0161

Why would he be bitter? His entire playing career he shat on United big style. Such a class player and such a Cnut to go with it, would have loved him at United, him and Robbo would have been immense.
Must have been painful for him to watch his club decline and us take the mantle as the most successful club, decade after long suffering decade!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
As a journalist myself, I can tell you why the media is so ABU.

United are the biggest club in the country and any time you write a United story United fans will read it, whether it's good or bad.

However you've also got to consider the fans of other clubs, most of whom hate United. If they see a pro-United article in the paper they'll ignore it, but if they see an anti-United one they'll read it.

So it's really quite a simple equation for journos and editors:

Pro-United = United fans only
Anti-United = United fans AND fans of other clubs.

That's why the journos are so relentlessly negative about United.
So integrity out the window for clicks and sales, just like everyone has been saying.
Still means there is ABU-media, as long as we're the most loved and hated.

RD76

ABU know nowts are the worst thing about being a United fan.

Boiling their piss is the best thing.

Oscie

Dearly dearly me !!!!! Hope to god this is sarcasm ?? How can any red not know that abbreviation?
In fairness you can't criticise someone for not understanding the meaning of something in a post that thinks the expression is 'dearly me'.

Mal donaghy

In fairness you can't criticise someone for not understanding the meaning of something in a post that thinks the expression is 'dearly me'.
Hurumph hurumph!!! Well done for pulling me up cause of a friggin Spellchecker mistake!! Kudos to you.

Offsideagain

Oliver Holt is the epitome of an ABU. He is relentless in his criticism of United and praise for ‘Pep’. He had a right ding dong with Neil Curtis who is the only one that talks any sense. Holt is from Stockport so say no more.

Anyone can criticise United, I’m not against that. It’s the relentless unjustified City centric bullshit they come out with that annoys me.

Halftrack

With Sanchez, a bit peeved that the papers are reporting what is almost certainly gross wage as net to continue to feed the narrative that United threw money at him to get him to chose us over little City. Because why else would a player ever chose United over City, or Mou over Pep? They've been gearing up to Pep finally getting his man, father and son reunited at last, after being kept apart by the evil step-mother Wenger. And then United spoils it all by apparently offering him Ronaldo/Messi level wages?

If it turns out to be true, then fair do's, but I find it extremely hard to believe we would throw all sense out the window and offer him almost double what we pay our second highest earner.

Jacko21

Are journalists banned anymore? Seemed like a Fergie exclusive thing, unfortunately.
It's at the discretion of the club/manager. Some journalists have previously asked the FA to intervene, because clubs regularly refuse access to journalists or the news outlet they work for.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Now that’s what I call a voice of authority. You don’t let down a man like that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What utter nonsense.
It's normal for a player who's bombed out of a club to justify their move by taking digs at their former club/manager and I'm sure the DM journo's line of questioning gave Mkhi every opportunity to let us have it. He's happy he's gone, we're happy he's gone and that's that.

What I would say is that any football, attacking or otherwise, would be a step up from what he was producing for us towards the end. He was given many chances this year to produce and apart from a few half decent driven crosses to the near post, only with his right foot, he did nothing whatsoever while players like Lingard and Martial stepped up.

Boycott

He has a point. Stuff like this is rabid paranoia.

Fully Fledged

Who the feck are Man United!

I'm interested in the history of football clubs and their social origins. I think the ABU goes a lot further than Ferguson in the clubs history. You'd probably have to go all the way back to the formation of the club and what it stood for to truely understand it.
As the Reds go marching on on on.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho's way of playing does stifle players of certain style of playing.

It wouldn't be a shock if he turned out to be a huge success at Arsenal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Pep signs Mahrez then it will take his spending to half a billion in less than two season, if Mourinho and Man Utd did that the media would be exploding.

As a journalist myself, I can tell you why the media is so ABU.

United are the biggest club in the country and any time you write a United story United fans will read it, whether it's good or bad.

However you've also got to consider the fans of other clubs, most of whom hate United. If they see a pro-United article in the paper they'll ignore it, but if they see an anti-United one they'll read it.

So it's really quite a simple equation for journos and editors:

Pro-United = United fans only
Anti-United = United fans AND fans of other clubs.

That's why the journos are so relentlessly negative about United.
Guess that explains why...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
City will soon take up the "anyone but" tag if they continue to spend purely for the sake of it. The purchase of Leicester's most valuable asset Mahrez, who will be surplass to requirements following Sane's return from injury, is nothing more than a glorified loan. The more City continue spend without regard for anything or anyone, the quicker they will become hated.

ABC anyone?

Jericholyte2

Just nearly spat out my morning cup of tea watching SSN!

"Jose Mourinho has spent £120m on midfielders at Manchester United, but find out why the United manager wants more...."

WHAT THE...

Never heard anything like, "Guardiola has spent over £250m on his defence, but find out why he wants ANOTHER centre-back"

Part of me absolutely hates it, but also a bit prefers to be hated as it shows we are ruffling feathers.

EyeInTheSky

City will soon take up the "anyone but" tag if they continue to spend purely for the sheikh of it. The purchase of Leicester's most valuable asset Mahrez, who will be surplass to requirements following Sane's return from injury, is nothing more than a glorified loan. The more City continue spend without regard for anything or anyone, the quicker they will become hated.

ABC anyone?
fixed for you

wolvored

In the Fergie era, I cant remember many if any pundits on the tv broadly slagging us off, unless we had had a poor game, like 6-3 against Saints and the grey shirts, or Pizzagate with Arsenal for example. Most were even complimentary. I think its how far we have fallen from the top as well, combined with how much has been spent on the team since fergie, that has given pundits, nd in some cases rightly so to slag us off. We are the biggest team in England so expect the biggest knocks and haters.

wolvored

:lol: I thought it was a typo until he did it twice

Decomposing In Paris

I suppose there's no real story to "State-Sponsored team spends half a billion pounds on successful manager & good players" - but our spending is seen as more out of character... because although we always spent, we have been famous for moulding incredible talent. We are too big to benefit from any underdog story. We're not doing much better than Chelsea, who aren't exactly being widely praised this season. Despite the flood of ex-Liverpool players working in punditry, they still get very mixed reports. Arsenal's mediocrity is hardly new... which just leaves Spurs, who are not far behind us, having spent a lot less, and been more impressive in Europe.

Sandyman

I guess this is as good a thread as any to share this "journalistic" piece from the Guardian. Thought there was a recent media thread, but could not find it.
Credit where it is due: José Mourinho’s sometimes dour tactics do occasionally produce results. This was a big one for Manchester United, who had to come from behind after being not only outplayed but outdazzled in the first half by a Chelsea side who looked as if they had come to Old Trafford to hand out a lesson in entertaining football.
When Eden Hazard and Willian were taking it in turns to cut elegant swaths through United’s defence in the first half the script seemed familiar.
Though they[Utd] began timidly, apparently in awe of Chelsea’s ability to launch devastating breaks from almost anywhere on the pitch, they ended up the stronger and Lukaku might have finished with more than a goal and an assist as he finally managed to prove himself against top-six opponents
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/26/chelsea-lose-momentum-jose-mourinho-changes

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Those quotes from the guardian really are ridiculous. How anyone can write something like that and still have a job amazes me. Outdazzled and a lesson in entertaining football :lol: Give me a break

Dave89

Someone wrote that article before the match and thought "feck it, I'm not redrafting"