Academy intake next season

oskarutd

Who looks likely to be offered a place in the academy this year, and who is looking likely to be released(not from the reserves or u18s, there's already a thread on that)
Reds take on eleven youngsters

United have offered Academy scholarships to 11 of the current crop of Under-16s, eight of which are local lads.

The players will make up the nucleus of next season's Under-18s squad, run by youth team coach Paul McGuinness.

Speaking to Manchester United Radio ahead of the first-team's season closer against West Ham, United's local recruitment officer, Derek Langley, said that he was pleased at the number of local lads given scholarships.

"The pleasing news is that out of the 11, eight of them are from within one hour's distance of the club," he said.

"These boys have been with us from a very young age. They've gone right through the system and know what it means to be a Manchester United player. Some of them have been with us from the age of nine, so they've been integrated within the coaching programme for seven years."

Langley said the group reminded him of the current youth side, who recently progressed to the FA Youth Cup final.

"Hopefully in a few years to come they'll be knocking on the first-team door. Collectively, they're a good bunch of kids and they stick together through thick and thin. There's a real sense of camaraderie.

"Only three boys didn't receive scholarships this year and we've fixed them up with other clubs already."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=427518

oskarutd

Those eight are most probably:
Moffett, Strickland, Dudgeon, James, Norwood, Stewart, Welbeck and Gill(?) (will be in school though).
The other three: Brandao, Woods, Curran.
Those who left: Williams, Farelly, Bryant.
And then there is the question of the mysterious Swiss winger.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
"The pleasing news is that out of the 11, eight of them are from within one hour's distance of the club," he said.

"These boys have been with us from a very young age. They've gone right through the system
Is this the Mulensteen-effect we're seeing? A big intake is always good news

Rahul

Good to hear. My opinion is that the class of 2005 was the best since the early 90's.

We had players like Dave Jones, Bardsley , Pique, Rossi, Ebanks Blake, Martin, Evans etc all in the same team. No wonder they went on to do the quadruple.

I think the 2007 lot have done well, But they're nowhere near the 2005-2006 kids.

oskarutd

Those eight are most probably:
Moffett, Strickland, Dudgeon, James, Norwood, Stewart, Welbeck and Gill(?) (will be in school though).
The other three: Brandao, Woods, Curran.
Those who left: Williams, Farelly, Bryant.
And then there is the question of the mysterious Swiss winger.
They are actually:
Moffett, Strickland, Dudgeon, James, Norwood, Stewart, Ajose and Williams.
Gill turned us down.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
They are actually:
Moffett, Strickland, Dudgeon, James, Norwood, Stewart, Ajose and Williams.
Gill turned us down.
Gill turned us down? Isnt he David Gill's son? Why would he turn us down?

oskarutd

What about Welbeck then? Will he be offered terms next season instead or something? It seems a bit odd that he's not been offered a contract even though he's the one everyone's talking about
I am told he was offered terms last season.

oskarutd

Gill turned us down? Isnt he David Gill's son? Why would he turn us down?
Well Alex Bruce turned us down and almost Darren Ferguson. Oliver Gill is going to study more and he will be with the club when he can, just like Ben Williams a few years ago. He will be playing some games, bur train less and more on his own.

David Williams was injured in the end of last season, therefore he didn´t play any games and I thought he had been released.

Derbyshire got chicken pox when he was going for an knee operation before the end of the season. He should be fit for August.

oskarutd

Ajose's too young to get a scholarship this summer, surely?
I thought so, but it seems they might be able when they turn 16, like Eikrem lasts summer, I guees it was the same with Welbeck and now Ajose.

PS18

but Eikrem's DOB is 8/8/90, which falls within the dates for first year scholars last year (1/9/89 -> 31/8/90). Danny Galbraith was even younger, but still within those dates.

whereas Ajose's DOB is 7/10/91, which falls outside the dates for next season's first year scholars (1/9/90 -> 31/8/91).

all a bit confusing really. seen it said in a couple of places that the young northern irish keeper Conor Devlin is joining this July, but his DOB also falls outside those brackets (23/9/91).

oskarutd

but Eikrem's DOB is 8/8/90, which falls within the dates for first year scholars last year (1/9/89 -> 31/8/90). Danny Galbraith was even younger, but still within those dates.

whereas Ajose's DOB is 7/10/91, which falls outside the dates for next season's first year scholars (1/9/90 -> 31/8/91).

all a bit confusing really. seen it said in a couple of places that the young northern irish keeper Conor Devlin is joining this July, but his DOB also falls outside those brackets (23/9/91).
Yes it is confusing, but I guees that for special talents the club looks at the year of birth and do the paperwork when possible. But I am not sure.
I think Devlin wil join the u-16s
Wolf Eikrem couldn´t sign until his birthday, maybe because he is not Brittish?

PS18

yeah, i suspect that's the case.

should all become clear in the next few days anyway, was around this time last year when official announcements were made if i remember rightly.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well Alex Bruce turned us down and almost Darren Ferguson. Oliver Gill is going to study more and he will be with the club when he can, just like Ben Williams a few years ago. He will be playing some games, bur train less and more on his own.

David Williams was injured in the end of last season, therefore he didn´t play any games and I thought he had been released.

Derbyshire got chicken pox when he was going for an knee operation before the end of the season. He should be fit for August.

Ah right, thanks for the info!

Out of curiosity does anyone know out of all the kids given contracts who has the most potential or who is perhaps the most talked about?

PS18

Welbeck (if he's being offered one/hasn't been offered one already) is the obvious one with a full season as first choice at u18 level already and England u17 caps. Curran and Brandao are both u17 internationals also, while Stewart, James, Woods and Norwood are England u16 caps (Ajose too if he is getting a contract). James and Norwood in particular have both impressed me so far. Strickland's looked good for the u18's too whenever i've seen him.

PS18

don't think the club have confirmed it yet, nor have they released any details of u18 friendlies. typically inept.

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
America's Red Cafe Spokesman (behind enemy lines)
First year scholar's

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={A4EE59F6-31C1-4AAB-8038-9EF74A45166F}

So the 11 are: Brandao, Curran, Dudgeon, Gill, James, Moffatt, Norwood, Stewart, Strickland, Williams and Woods.

No sign of Ajose (too young?) or Welbeck?

Who will Tom Cleverley play for next season?

I'd expect some of the academy players will figure quite often in the reserves this season considering there are 25 players in the squad according to the official site.

PS18

not sure how you're getting those eleven from that page? Welbeck's on there anyway. Gill apparently turned down a scholarship, weird that he's been included there but then Liam McClair has been as well so i'd not read anything into that particularly. still think the 11 will be that list but with Welbeck in for Gill.

Brandy, Chester, Eckersley, Fagan, Hewson and Zieler won't be playing for the academy next season, they should really be moved to the reserves section (along with Cathcart and Cleverley).

oskarutd

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={A4EE59F6-31C1-4AAB-8038-9EF74A45166F}

So the 11 are: Brandao, Curran, Dudgeon, Gill, James, Moffatt, Norwood, Stewart, Strickland, Williams and Woods.

No sign of Ajose (too young?) or Welbeck?

Who will Tom Cleverley play for next season?

I'd expect some of the academy players will figure quite often in the reserves this season considering there are 25 players in the squad according to the official site.
Liam McClair and Welbeck are in there as well

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
America's Red Cafe Spokesman (behind enemy lines)
not sure how you're getting those eleven from that page? Welbeck's on there anyway. Gill apparently turned down a scholarship, weird that he's been included there but then Liam McClair has been as well so i'd not read anything into that particularly. still think the 11 will be that list but with Welbeck in for Gill.

Brandy, Chester, Eckersley, Fagan, Hewson and Zieler won't be playing for the academy next season, they should really be moved to the reserves section (along with Cathcart and Cleverley).

When I had a look at the site last night Welbeck and McClair weren't there, so they must have been added onto the page this morning.

Have Brandy, Fagan and Zieler signed pro-forms yet? I'm pretty sure the other 5 you mentioned have.

PS18

When I had a look at the site last night Welbeck and McClair weren't there, so they must have been added onto the page this morning.

Have Brandy, Fagan and Zieler signed pro-forms yet? I'm pretty sure the other 5 you mentioned have.
99% sure Brandy and Zieler signed pro forms on their 17th birthdays or not long after. pretty sure Fagan has signed pro forms at some point as well.